• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No power good signal on power supply... Some help please.

Processor Intel Dual Core E5300
Motherboard MSI G31TM-P21
Cooling Stock everything :P
Memory 3GB DDR2 @800Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5670 1GB
Storage 2xWD Caviar Blue 320GB
Display(s) Dell ST2220l
Power Supply FSP SAGAII 400 watts
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
There was a long power cut in my locality n the power was out for almost 2 hours. I wasn't around at the time and the computer was on.
The psu is a recently bought fsp unit with active pfc. The psu operates normally on the ups which is a stepped wave unit. My home has its power back up from an apc home ups which is again a stepped wave unit. The computer was plugged into an outlet that had backup from the home ups which i think is the root of the problem.
When i came back, i noticed that the computer had frozen. The fans and the hdd were spinning. The cpu fan was spinning at its full speed. All the signs similar to my last system where my processor was fried. When i shut it down pressing the power button for 5 secs and tried booting again all that happened were the fans spinning at full speed and no power on led light and a constantly on dvd drive light, no post no nothing.
Now i started checking all the voltages, all appear ok except for the gray wire (power ok signal) ironically, the voltage on this one is 0 when power button is not pressed but only goes up to 0.8v when it is pressed. And the same behavior as though there was no cpu installed. Is there any chance of the power supply good signal to come up again anytime soon or do i have to get it replaced? Is the general system behavior similar to what would happen if there is no power good signal?
Thanks.

Memory 3GB DDR2 @800Mhz
Display(s) Dell ST2220l
I just found the old generic psu and have successfully booted off it. Sad for the fsp unit though, bought it just a week back, and i think i'm gonna be in trouble claiming warranty service/exchange on it as well, the sticker which says warranty void if removed, is scratched off exposing a small part of the screw underneath it, due to some psu holder clips on my case. :cry:

It was definitely that power good signal. Brought back the memories of that horrible day when my old comp died ;).
I checked the event viewer and there is just this one message about the shutdown:
The previous system shutdown at 13:29:05 on ‎11/‎02/‎2010 was unexpected.

This incident might explain an unexplained reboot that happened 2 days back while i wasn't on the comp.

Memory 3GB DDR2 @800Mhz
Display(s) Dell ST2220l
I've got it replaced with a new one. :nutkick: whats surprising is that the psu was working with a system at the service centre, without the power good signal :eek: it was a gigabyte mobo dunno the model number.