• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Relief for DRAM and NAND Shortages in Sight; Considerable Supply Only in 2018

Raevenlord

News Editor
Staff member
System Name The Ryzening
Processor Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7 GHz
Motherboard MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 120
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200 (2x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) TPU's Awesome MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Storage Boot: Crucial MX100 128GB; Gaming: Crucial MX 300 525GB; Storage: Samsung 1TB HDD, Toshiba 2TB HDD
Display(s) LG 29UM68P (21:9 2560x1080 FreeSync Ultrawide)
Case NOX Hummer MC Black
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80+
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
DRAM prices have been high for quite some time now, due to a general increased demand over a slowly improving supply capability from manufacturers. Pricing of DRAM has been increasing (to the tune that if I wanted to double my memory capacity, I would have to pay double of what I paid a mere 11 months ago.) NAND pricing has been affected as well, with newer technologies such as 3D NAND not having a relevant impact on end user pricing as was expected, since tight supply and growing demand means process-level savings are dwarfed by the increasing prices on the balance of supply and demand.

Most of our woes can be traced back to high-end smartphones, which make use of up to 6 GB of RAM and have copious amounts of NAND memory. Now, reports are coming in that due to the iPhone 8's impending launch, supply is even tighter, with several firms being either unable to secure the amount of Ram they are looking for, or having to order in significant advance (futures speculation anyone?) Reuters is reporting that some clients have moved to 6-month supply agreements for their DRAM and NAND purchases, accepting higher prices than the customary quarterly or monthly deals, to make sure they get enough memory chips for their products.

Amidst these woes, and if you add in the current mark-up on almost all GPUs being sold to the public due to the crypto mining craze, it's probably one of the most expensive moments to build a new PC from scratch, or even to slightly upgrade your machine. And relief in the DRAM and NAND channels is expected to only come by around 2018, and only from the supply side of the equation (you can bet demand will only keep on rising.) Additional factories from Samsung and SK Hynix are expected to start production in early 2018.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name More hardware than I use :|
Processor 4.7 8350 - 4.2 4560K - 4.4 4690K
Motherboard Sabertooth R2.0 - Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H-CF - AsRock Z97M KIller
Cooling Mugen 2 rev B push/pull - Hyper 212+ push/pull - Hyper 212+
Memory 16GB Gskill - 8GB Gskill - 16GB Ballistix 1.35v
Video Card(s) Xfire OCed 7950s - Powercolor 290x - Oced Zotac 980Ti AMP! (also have two 7870s)
Storage Crucial 250GB SSD, Kingston 3K 120GB, Sammy 1TB, various WDs, 13TB (actual capactity) NAS with WDs
Display(s) X-star 27" 1440 - Auria 27" 1440 - BenQ 24" 1080 - Acer 23" 1080
Case Lian Li open bench - Fractal Design ARC - Thermaltake Cube (still have HAF 932 and more ARCs)
Audio Device(s) Titanium HD - Onkyo HT-RC360 Receiver - BIC America custom 5.1 set up (and extra Klipsch sub)
Power Supply Corsair 850W V2 - EVGA 1000 G2 - Seasonic 500 and 600W units (dead 750W needs RMA lol)
Mouse Logitech G5 - Sentey Revolution Pro - Sentey Lumenata Pro - multiple wireless logitechs
Keyboard Logitech G11s - Thermaltake Challenger
Software I wish I could kill myself instead of using windows (OSX can suck it too).
Literal fake news to hide their scam.

Processor Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory 16GB(2x8) DDR3@2133MHz 1.5v Patriot
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
Storage 59.63GB Samsung SSD 830 + 465.76 GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO + 2TB Hitachi + 300GB Velociraptor HDD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Anker
Software Win 10 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Literal fake news to hide their scam.
The news are real, but the reason behind them is fake. I suspect very much the DRAM/NAND cartel wanting to jack up the prices for their products due to high amount of greed.
But that's OK. I will be so happy when their 1000$ phones will remain unsold, and they expensive SSDs/DDR4 RAM sticks will have the same fate. I will be very curious if they will keep the same prices...
Callous basterds.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i5 6600K / Intel Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming 5 / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120M / Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 21300C16 / 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 21300C16
Video Card(s) Palit GTX980 Super Jetstream / MSI GTX1080 Gaming+ X 11Gbps
Storage Intel 760p 512GB, Toshiba 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2414H / Dell UltraSharp U2715H
Case Lian-Li PC-60FN / Lian-Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 660W / SeaSonic X 750W
Mouse Logitech G1
Keyboard Logitech G413
Software MS Windows 7 Professional SP1 / MS Windows 10 Pro
The news are real, but the reason behind them is fake. I suspect very much the DRAM/NAND cartel wanting to jack up the prices for their products due to high amount of greed.
No doubt about that.

System Name El Calpulator
Processor Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Aorus X570 Elite
Cooling DeepCool Neptwin White
Memory 16GB DDR4 3200mhz Corsair Vengance White
Video Card(s) XFX 5700XT Thicc II
Storage Crucial NVMe 500GB+1xMX500 500GB+1x1TB
Display(s) AOC Aegon AG322QC4
Case Corsair Carbide 175R RGB+1x120mm+3X140mm Fans
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DGX +Logitech Z906+Arctis 7
Power Supply CoolerMaster MasterWatt 650w
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum \ASUS
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Just enough
Yep this seems like a dirty marketing move. They expect us to believe that nobody anticipated the demand for these chips...

Yep this seems like a dirty marketing move. They expect us to believe that nobody anticipated the demand for these chips...
excepting demand to increase and not wanting to expand in order to make more money off supply and demand is not price fixing.

Price fixing is agreeing with everyone that you will not increase production and all agree to a ridiculous price.

Companies purposely making limited supply to get higher prices is not price fixing. They are simply being smart....douche...but smart.

This is how the fashion world works and niche markets and it isn't illegal or immoral. They just play off idiots who are willing to pay for it.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-competitors/price-fixing

System Name The Yellow Box
Processor AMD K5 100
Motherboard Intel 5DVX0130
Cooling A snazzy stock cooler
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Video Card(s) ATI Mach 64 4MB + Creative Voodoo 8MB
Storage IBM 1.6GB IDE + IBM 3.2GB IDE
Display(s) 15" AOC CRT (Terrible, terrible POS)
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster
Power Supply No name 200W
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se
Same old BS. It happened with DDR1, DDR2, DDR3, HDDs, … just cartel economics.
I completely understand them though. Why not do it? Pay the pocket change penalties (IF you’re caught), and rake in the billions in the meantime.

Processor AMD K5 100
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se
excepting demand to increase and not wanting to expand in order to make more money off supply and demand is not price fixing.

Price fixing is agreeing with everyone that you will not increase production and all agree to a ridiculous price.

Companies purposely making limited supply to get higher prices is not price fixing. They are simply being smart....douche...but smart.

This is how the fashion world works and niche markets and it isn't illegal or immoral. They just play off idiots who are willing to pay for it.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-competitors/price-fixing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRAM_price_fixing
http://en.cade.gov.br/press-releases/cade-condemns-companies-for-international-cartel-of-memory-chips-1

I'm too lazy to post more, and you probably know how to use Google.

Solaris17

Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Venslar
Processor I9 7980XE
Motherboard MSI x299 Tomahawk Arctic
Cooling EK Custom
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan RTX
Storage 2x 2TB Micron SSDs | 1x ADATA 128SSD | 1x Drevo 256SSD | 1x 1TB 850 EVO | 1x 250GB 960 EVO
Display(s) 3x AOC Q2577PWQ (2k IPS)
Case Inwin 303 White (Thermaltake Ring 120mm Purple accent)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220 on Audio-Technica ATH-AG1
Power Supply Seasonic 1050W Snow
Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo White
Keyboard Ducky Shine 6 Snow White
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Same old BS. It happened with DDR1, DDR2, DDR3, HDDs, … just cartel economics.
I completely understand them though. Why not do it? Pay the pocket change penalties (IF you’re caught), and rake in the billions in the meantime.
Seriously /slap $30k anti trust lol ok here ya go.

never said it hasn't happened in the past but your wildly speculating and jumping to accusations that are baseless like a fool.

There is very realistic evidence this case is pure economics and not price fixing. Once you post real proof that today is price fixing i will listen but you are making baseless claims.

Prove your baseless accusations...if not shut up.

Today is not price fixing as i showed you the definition of what price fixing is.

Processor AMD K5 100
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se
never said it hasn't happened in the past but your wildly speculating and jumping to accusations that are baseless like a fool.

There is very realistic evidence this case is pure economics and not price fixing. Once you post real proof that today is price fixing i will listen but you are making baseless claims.

Today is not price fixing as i showed you the definition of what price fixing is.
Seeing as the same thing keeps on repeating every couple of years, my chances are quite high that I’m right. At least higher than yours. It also keeps being on proven in court, and its been admitted by the industry a couple of times now, that YES it was price fixing.

But as I said, “why not?”.
By now it’s already a calculated risk, and not just in the DRAM industry. Nothing you can’t learn about, it does require a fair amount of reading though.

Before I show you my evidence, can you show me some of the very realistic evidence that you’re talking about? Because I haven’t been able to find any. Well at least nothing that wasn’t manufactured by or linked to the “industry”.

“Today is not price fixing as i showed you the definition of what price fixing is.”
You haven’t shown me anything of value. All you did was voice your opinion, as did I.

Processor Intel Xeon X5670 Hexa-core @ 4.6GHz @ 1.35v
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill Trident 2000Mhz + 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 SC
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) Samsung BX2440 (24" LED Backlit)
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

You are contradicting yourself here. Lowering production or keeping production low and agreeing with competitors on pricing, is the very definition of price fixing.

Price fixing is an agreement between participants on the same side in a market to buy or sell a product, service, or commodity only at a fixed price, or maintain the market conditions such that the price is maintained at a given level by controlling supply and demand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

That's like asking someone to prove that the stories and characters in The Bible are/were real. You can't provide proof of something, when someone is hiding that proof from you or doing something in secret.

System Name 3 systems: Gaming/Internet/HTPC
Processor AMD Phenom II 1075T @ 4.0GHz @ 1.42V/Intel i5 4460/Athlon X4 760K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3/ASRock Z97 Extreme6/ASUS FM2+
Cooling Noctua U12S/Lan Shuo Pure copper/Asetek Microchill
Memory 16GB Adata 2133MHz/16GB Kingston KHX1866C10D3/8GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASUS HD7870 2GB /Intel 4600/Gigabyte GT620
Storage Kingston 240GB, Intel NVMe 500GB + HDDs/Samsung NVMe 250GB+ HDDs/Samsung SSD 120GB
Display(s) Samsung LE32D550 32'' TV(2 systems connected)/LG 42''
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12/Sharkoon Rebel 9/Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 850W Chieftec/560W Chieftec/400W (80+)
Mouse CoolerMaster/Rapoo/Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster/Microsoft/Logitech
Software Windows
A few years ago a flooding showed to the companies how you can find a good excuse to increase prices of a product that it's price was falling from a cliff for many years. Now memory manufacturers have found excuses to keep their prices and profit margins high. Every year they will have a new excuse to say, in the form of a high end smartphone model.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 3 1200
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth
Memory 2 x 8GB G-skill Aegis 3000 or somesuch
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 760 DCU2OC 2GB
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Blue 1TB x 2
Display(s) BenQ GL2450HT
Case Some old Antec
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + slightly modded Sony DR-ZX302
Power Supply Fractal Design Effekt 400W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX-Board 3.0
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I once had +100 dorfs in DF, so yeah pretty great
No relief in sight; relief comes in 2018.