• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Relief for DRAM and NAND Shortages in Sight; Considerable Supply Only in 2018

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
DRAM prices have been high for quite some time now, due to a general increased demand over a slowly improving supply capability from manufacturers. Pricing of DRAM has been increasing (to the tune that if I wanted to double my memory capacity, I would have to pay double of what I paid a mere 11 months ago.) NAND pricing has been affected as well, with newer technologies such as 3D NAND not having a relevant impact on end user pricing as was expected, since tight supply and growing demand means process-level savings are dwarfed by the increasing prices on the balance of supply and demand.

Most of our woes can be traced back to high-end smartphones, which make use of up to 6 GB of RAM and have copious amounts of NAND memory. Now, reports are coming in that due to the iPhone 8's impending launch, supply is even tighter, with several firms being either unable to secure the amount of Ram they are looking for, or having to order in significant advance (futures speculation anyone?) Reuters is reporting that some clients have moved to 6-month supply agreements for their DRAM and NAND purchases, accepting higher prices than the customary quarterly or monthly deals, to make sure they get enough memory chips for their products.

Amidst these woes, and if you add in the current mark-up on almost all GPUs being sold to the public due to the crypto mining craze, it's probably one of the most expensive moments to build a new PC from scratch, or even to slightly upgrade your machine. And relief in the DRAM and NAND channels is expected to only come by around 2018, and only from the supply side of the equation (you can bet demand will only keep on rising.) Additional factories from Samsung and SK Hynix are expected to start production in early 2018.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Literal fake news to hide their scam.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Literal fake news to hide their scam.
The news are real, but the reason behind them is fake. I suspect very much the DRAM/NAND cartel wanting to jack up the prices for their products due to high amount of greed.
But that's OK. I will be so happy when their 1000$ phones will remain unsold, and they expensive SSDs/DDR4 RAM sticks will have the same fate. I will be very curious if they will keep the same prices...
Callous basterds.

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
The news are real, but the reason behind them is fake. I suspect very much the DRAM/NAND cartel wanting to jack up the prices for their products due to high amount of greed.

No doubt about that.

System Name El Calpulator
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Pro RS
Cooling ArcticCooling Freezer 3 360ARGB AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengance 6000Mhz C30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 Gaming Trio X @ 2925 / 23500 mhz
Storage 5TB nvme SSD + Synology DS115j NAS with 4TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung G8 34" QD-OLED + Samsung 28" 4K 60hz UR550
Case Montech King 95 PRO Blue
Audio Device(s) SB X4+Logitech Z623 2.1+Astro A50 Wireless
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus LightSpeed Hero Wireless plus Logitech G POWERPLAY Wireless Charging Mouse Pad
Keyboard Logitech G915 LightSpeed Wireless
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Just enough
Yep this seems like a dirty marketing move. They expect us to believe that nobody anticipated the demand for these chips...

Yep this seems like a dirty marketing move. They expect us to believe that nobody anticipated the demand for these chips...

excepting demand to increase and not wanting to expand in order to make more money off supply and demand is not price fixing.

Price fixing is agreeing with everyone that you will not increase production and all agree to a ridiculous price.

Companies purposely making limited supply to get higher prices is not price fixing. They are simply being smart....douche...but smart.

This is how the fashion world works and niche markets and it isn't illegal or immoral. They just play off idiots who are willing to pay for it.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/com...itrust-laws/dealings-competitors/price-fixing

System Name The Yellow Box
Processor AMD K5 100
Motherboard Intel 5DVX0130
Cooling A snazzy stock cooler
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Video Card(s) ATI Mach 64 4MB + Creative Voodoo 8MB
Storage IBM 1.6GB IDE + IBM 3.2GB IDE
Display(s) 15" AOC CRT (Terrible, terrible POS)
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster
Power Supply No name 200W
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se
Same old BS. It happened with DDR1, DDR2, DDR3, HDDs, … just cartel economics.
I completely understand them though. Why not do it? Pay the pocket change penalties (IF you’re caught), and rake in the billions in the meantime.

Processor AMD K5 100
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se
excepting demand to increase and not wanting to expand in order to make more money off supply and demand is not price fixing.

Price fixing is agreeing with everyone that you will not increase production and all agree to a ridiculous price.

Companies purposely making limited supply to get higher prices is not price fixing. They are simply being smart....douche...but smart.

This is how the fashion world works and niche markets and it isn't illegal or immoral. They just play off idiots who are willing to pay for it.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/com...itrust-laws/dealings-competitors/price-fixing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRAM_price_fixing
http://en.cade.gov.br/press-release...es-for-international-cartel-of-memory-chips-1

I'm too lazy to post more, and you probably know how to use Google.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Same old BS. It happened with DDR1, DDR2, DDR3, HDDs, … just cartel economics.
I completely understand them though. Why not do it? Pay the pocket change penalties (IF you’re caught), and rake in the billions in the meantime.

Seriously /slap $30k anti trust lol ok here ya go.

never said it hasn't happened in the past but your wildly speculating and jumping to accusations that are baseless like a fool.

There is very realistic evidence this case is pure economics and not price fixing. Once you post real proof that today is price fixing i will listen but you are making baseless claims.

Prove your baseless accusations...if not shut up.

Today is not price fixing as i showed you the definition of what price fixing is.

Processor AMD K5 100
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se
never said it hasn't happened in the past but your wildly speculating and jumping to accusations that are baseless like a fool.

There is very realistic evidence this case is pure economics and not price fixing. Once you post real proof that today is price fixing i will listen but you are making baseless claims.

Today is not price fixing as i showed you the definition of what price fixing is.
Seeing as the same thing keeps on repeating every couple of years, my chances are quite high that I’m right. At least higher than yours. It also keeps being on proven in court, and its been admitted by the industry a couple of times now, that YES it was price fixing.

But as I said, “why not?”.
By now it’s already a calculated risk, and not just in the DRAM industry. Nothing you can’t learn about, it does require a fair amount of reading though.

Before I show you my evidence, can you show me some of the very realistic evidence that you’re talking about? Because I haven’t been able to find any. Well at least nothing that wasn’t manufactured by or linked to the “industry”.

“Today is not price fixing as i showed you the definition of what price fixing is.”
You haven’t shown me anything of value. All you did was voice your opinion, as did I.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)

You are contradicting yourself here. Lowering production or keeping production low and agreeing with competitors on pricing, is the very definition of price fixing.

Price fixing is an agreement between participants on the same side in a market to buy or sell a product, service, or commodity only at a fixed price, or maintain the market conditions such that the price is maintained at a given level by controlling supply and demand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

That's like asking someone to prove that the stories and characters in The Bible are/were real. You can't provide proof of something, when someone is hiding that proof from you or doing something in secret.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
A few years ago a flooding showed to the companies how you can find a good excuse to increase prices of a product that it's price was falling from a cliff for many years. Now memory manufacturers have found excuses to keep their prices and profit margins high. Every year they will have a new excuse to say, in the form of a high end smartphone model.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
No relief in sight; relief comes in 2018.