• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Undervolting Options for Intel 10710U?

Drackyr

Been trying to install both XTU and Throttlestop, got the ''unsupported CPU'' error with both. My CPU is hitting the 80s while gaming, no bueno. The CPU is -conveniently- placed inside the chassis of a Prestige 14.

Any ideas? Thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,589
Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
Your issue might be related to this or not? I'm going to guess that Throttlestop doesn't recognize the CPUID.

@unclewebb

Last edited:

Drackyr

What? ... sigh.

Might be. I can't believe I'm not going to be able to undervolt the CPU. Mine is an MSI Prestige 14, but from the looks of it, who knows. I read XTU doesn't work with the U series, didn't think it'd be that bad though. This means I can't even use the BIOS in order to get it done.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
What? ... sigh.

Might be. I can't believe I'm not going to be able to undervolt the CPU. Mine is an MSI Prestige 14, but from the looks of it, who knows. I read XTU doesn't work with the U series, didn't think it'd be that bad though. This means I can't even use the BIOS in order to get it done.
Unfortunately undervolting a Intel mobile CPU is dead after the SGX exploit aka Plundervolt.

Reactions: ppn
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Should be okay, it's under the thermal throttle limit (100°C) for the die.

Untitled.jpg

Drackyr

I'm updating the thread with pics I took from the advanced bios, that I finally managed to access. Let's see if anyone can provide some insight as to what I'm looking at, and how to undervolt this. Thank you all in advance

IMG_20200104_165343.jpg
IMG_20200104_165231.jpg
IMG_20200104_165429.jpg
IMG_20200104_165501.jpg

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
@unclewebb, maybe you can help OP with the available BIOS options? I have no idea what the options are for voltage control.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I was looking for some updated documentation from Intel but they have not publicly released anything that covers these new CPUs. I will send an updated version of ThrottleStop to you later today. Without documentation, how it will work for you is anyone's guess.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Wow a non UEFI based laptop bios...

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ

its-my-right

Hello, I have a MSI Prestige 15 with Intel 10710U and I am currently able to tweak this CPU with Throttlestop 8.70.6.
@unclewebb, what exactly the new version of Throttlestop you are talking about will do better for this cpu ?
If the support of this cpu is better, could you please send me that new version too ?

Thank you :)

unclewebb

Been trying to install both XTU and Throttlestop, got the ''unsupported CPU'' error with both.

I am currently able to tweak this CPU with Throttlestop 8.70.6.

That is odd because Drackyr told me that ThrottleStop did not work on his Core i7-10710U. I had a look at the ThrottleStop code and it looked like TS 8.70.6 should work on that CPU. Intel might not ever release a version of XTU that supports these processors but ThrottleStop works fine.

I sent Drackyr an updated version of ThrottleStop so I could get some feedback. He asked me several questions and I replied to all of them. Then I asked to see some screenshots but he never bothered to send me anything. After that he turned into a ghost and disappeared. Pretty sad when you go out of your way to help someone and they cannot be bothered to help you with development.

The new and improved version of ThrottleStop that I sent him should work exactly the same as ThrottleStop 8.70.6 that you are using. It is possible that the BCLK is reported incorrectly. Intel might have changed the frequency of one of the internal timers that I have been using. I think the multipliers are 100% accurate but without seeing any screenshots, hard to say what works and what needs fixing. Without access to hardware, I have no plans on trying to make ThrottleStop perfect. Too frustrating. Voltage control should work OK until Intel releases a microcode update to try and block this feature. I think Drackyr saw a huge drop in temps on this CPU but I am not sure if it was stable or not.

I will release an updated version of ThrottleStop, probably later today. Thanks for confirming that ThrottleStop really does work OK on the Core i7-10710U.

its-my-right

Hello,

Too bad you didn't get answers after being working on a specific version of the program for this need.

I can confirm, I am using Throttlestop on my i7 10710u to lower the voltage by 100mv, and I also blocked the multiplier on a fixed value (34) to keep acceptable temperatures on my special profile "encoding", and that works perfectly, the cpu is colder and it is stable.

However, I cannot use the "Limits" button (it is grayed out). But it may not have anything to do with the cpu, this is the first time I am using Throttlestop so maybe it is for another reason that the button is grayed out.

I can send you screenshots if you want, just tell me in which configuration you want them.

(Sorry for the google trading !)

unclewebb

I cannot use the "Limits" button (it is grayed out).
No worries. That has already been fixed in the updated version. Thanks for the feedback.

Some time today or tomorrow, I will be working on adding a new iGPU feature for an unrelated CPU. When that is done, I will post a download link in this forum. Just post a screenshot of the new version when it is done so other users that end up in this forum will be able to see that ThrottleStop really does work on the Core i7-10710U.

its-my-right

Ok, I will do that ;)

Edit : Added a screenshot from 8.70.6

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,616
Last edited:

Drackyr

I dropped this case eversince I got the parameters set, the temps lowered - and still got throttled. Sorry, I used to have patience with tech devices and now I seem to have lost it.

The monitoring works well as the snaps indicate. It's just quite -not going to curse- useless, you could very well be ingame and all of a sudden the framerates fall by 70%. Couldn't get Riva to monitor ingame, so I'm walking blind.

And that's pretty much it, thank you a bunch unclewebb for your efforts, at this point in my life I'm just so -I'm still not going to curse- over wrestling with -almost there- W10 devices just to get them to do what they're supposed to.

I'll try to reset the BIOS to factory defaults, I might have touched something at some point.

tl;dr: unclewebb's fix works; I might have screwed up by messing with the bios.
If you own a 10th gen U processor and are experiencing throttling / "incompatible CPU ERROR" issues, you might be interested in contacting him.

Last edited:

its-my-right

Thank you for your feedback !

Still, I don't understand hy you had to use an updated version in order to be able to tweak the CPU becase unclewebb said "The new and improved version of ThrottleStop that I sent him should work exactly the same as ThrottleStop 8.70.6 that you are using.".

@unclewebb, do you have an idea when you will have time to release the new version you where talking about ? (I know it will be ready when it will be ready :D ).

Thank you !

Drackyr

Thank you for your feedback !

Still, I don't understand hy you had to use an updated version in order to be able to tweak the CPU becase unclewebb said "The new and improved version of ThrottleStop that I sent him should work exactly the same as ThrottleStop 8.70.6 that you are using.".

@unclewebb, do you have an idea when you will have time to release the new version you where talking about ? (I know it will be ready when it will be ready :D ).

Thank you !
I don't understand either, I swear by the nine divines. All I know is I'd get the "unsupported GPU" error from both XTU and THRSTP.

On a side note, using the "clock modulation" option by lowering it seems to be another useful tool. Leaving it at 93.75% eradicated all overheating. There seems to be much to learn from this program.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop 8.74
New Features
- enabled Limit Reasons access for Comet Lake Core i7-10710U.
- added IGPU INI file option to set and lock the iGPU power limit.

I know it will be ready when it will be ready
Guess what? It is ready. Always takes me a little longer when I do not have access to hardware.

This version unlocks the Limits button so you should have access to the Limit Reasons window. This will let you see why your CPU is throttling when stress testing.

@Drackyr - Did you try using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option? That can make a big difference on some laptops, depending on what a manufacturer leaves unlocked.

When under volting the Intel GPU, you usually have to under volt the iGPU Unslice equally or else this part of your under volt will be ignored.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
You do know a rich GUI isn't required for UEFI?

Yep, it certainly is UEFI.

You could try turning on XTU support OP. It's listed in your screenshots.

unclewebb

You could try turning on XTU support OP.
The Advanced BIOS might have an option for Intel XTU but I do not think that XTU supports the 10th Gen CPUs with their 15 Watt TDP rating.

XTU is only supported on Desktop, High End Mobile, and High End Desktop (HEDT) platforms. XTU is not supported on server, Celeron®, or Intel Atom® Processors.

Drackyr

ThrottleStop 8.74
New Features
- enabled Limit Reasons access for Comet Lake Core i7-10710U.
- added IGPU INI file option to set and lock the iGPU power limit.

Guess what? It is ready. Always takes me a little longer when I do not have access to hardware.

This version unlocks the Limits button so you should have access to the Limit Reasons window. This will let you see why your CPU is throttling when stress testing.

@Drackyr - Did you try using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option? That can make a big difference on some laptops, depending on what a manufacturer leaves unlocked.

When under volting the Intel GPU, you usually have to under volt the iGPU Unslice equally or else this part of your under volt will be ignored.

I'll try it, although I should state that I do make use of the laptop's juice. I'm not sure of whether disabling the turbo will further maim its performance.