1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No VRM temperature readings on XFX 4890 ZSFR ?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Grnkjr0, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Grnkjr0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all

I post this to follow up on another thread made by my friend Aaron, who posted in the GPU-Z sub forum.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=109830

I am hoping that someone reads this and knows a solution to my friend Aarons problem, because we are in need of some expert guidance. He just bought a XFX Radeon HD4890 model number ZSFR at bestbuy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+A...Card/9566025.p?id=1218125775469&skuId=9566025

Here it is listed at the bottom of their product line at XFX.

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/hd 4000series/4890.aspx

Now he wants to do some overclocking, and has bought an aftermarket cooler - Zalman VF1000, and I told him to be concerned about the voltage regulators, because they get extremely hot if they do not have something to cool them down. I asked if he could tell me his current VRM temperatures, but neither GPU-Z, Rivatuner or Everest Ultima will show them, (not sure he has the full package of Everest though).

Now I am on a GTX 285 which I know does not have the Volterra chip, but his should have that one, which is why I am puzzled by the fact GPU-Z will not show the VRM temperatures as VDDC Slave 1,2,3 etc.

I know that if his XFX 4890 ZSFR is not a reference card, he will not be able to see these, but all my search tells me, that it is a reference card. Am I missing something here?

Should Rivatuner 2.24 not also be able to show the VRM temperatures? I know you have to enable something, but perhaps I guided him wrong on that part - could someone explain the procedure so that my friend does not need to worry about frying his card. He is thinking about buying a Zalman ZM-RHS90 to keep the voltage regulators cool, and I told him that that one would fit - hopefully I am not wrong about that? Here is the link to that VRM cooler.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp

Any help here would be highly appreciated, because I have spent a lot of time searching for answers in several forums - thanks.

Poul

Edited: The Zalman link does not work and I have no idea why

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Analogue PWM does not report temps.

:toast:

PS, pics would help, of the power-plug end. I have ZDFC cards, digi PWM, but XFX sent me analogue cards once during RMA...ugh...no temps either. Reference cards show temps, Analogue PWM is NOT reference.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Grnkjr0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for replying - highly appreciated, but you really lost me there. Could you explain this to me, because I have seen a lot of XFX 4890´s where GPU-Z shows the VRM temperatures?

Thanks

Poul

4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    The card could be a cheapo 4890 without the Volterra regulators and just a basic PWM system.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I have XFX 4890, model ZDFC. THese cards are reference, that I have(not all ZDFC are reference). They show PWM temps.

If gpu-Z or Everest do not show temps, chances are, the cards is NOT reference, and if you could post pics, we could confirm or deny what type of card you(or your friend, rather) have.

Reference design features a digital PWM, which allows monitoring. There are also cards with an analogue PWM, which does not allow temp monitoring.

Either way, a fan blowing across the power-plug end of the card will ensure temps are ok.

I see you've been busy posting this on other forums as well, I'm sure you'll get the same answers everywhere.:laugh:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Grnkjr0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK I will ask him to take some pictures of it.

Thank you very much all.

Yes cadaveca we really need help on this matter before he fries up that card.

Poul

7. Grnkjr0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it is not a reference card and it has no sensors, do you guys think that that Zalman RHS90 cooler will be enough to cool the voltage regulators?

Poul

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I will psot up pics of mine, so you see the difference, I have pics of both type of XFX card...

First is digiital PWM, with temp monitoring(although heatsink may differ)

[​IMG]

need airflow over this area.

Attached Files:

• 178a.jpg
      178a.jpg
      File size:
      77.1 KB
      Views:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Here is analogue(notice lack of black heatsink there):

[​IMG]

back sides of card:

ANALOGUE PWM:

[​IMG]

DIGITAL:

[​IMG]

Either way, make sure airflow is on this part of card.

:toast:

Attached Files:

• 279a.jpg
      279a.jpg
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
    • 271a.jpg
      271a.jpg
      File size:
      161.6 KB
      Views:
    • 185a.jpg
      185a.jpg
      File size:
      117.6 KB
      Views:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Grnkjr0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thank you for taking time to post those pictures. I guess that digital PWM means that is has a 4-pin fan connector? Which then will allow readings or am I totally off here?

I might add that some words I am not familar with, since English is not my native language and I am by no means an electrician - sry.

11. Grnkjr0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sry - I guess I was typing while you were posting these pictures. Does this means he needs to have that black heatsink for it to be a reference design? With the Volterra?

Poul

12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    No...the heatsink may be different...best to look at back side of card...you see the last pic I posted? With the 4 white squares @ upper left of pic, by the power connector part? That is the reference design, which reports temps of power delivery portion.

If his card does not look like that, and looks like the pic above that one, the middle pic, then he will not have temp monitoring of the power-delivery portion of his card.

I say PWM, but even that term is not correct...so don't mind my naming conventions. PWM= Pulse Width Modulation, a type of circuit.

So, jsut get him to compare his card to my pics here, and you'll know the answer. Regardless of which type of power delivery he has, there should be some airflow over this part of the vga, and the more the better, as the power provided will be less stable, the hotter it gets, digital, or analogue.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Grnkjr0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes cadaveca I see those. I can also see that they are not on the analogue one. This means he will have to have those on the back of his card to get VRM readings - right?

I really appreciate you taking time to post this :)

Poul

14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know, yes. I could be wrong(hence my request for pics)...but as far as I know, only that specific design, the reference one, offers VRM readings. Pretty much every other design is cost-saving designs, and as such, usually only offer gpu temp monitoring. The digital design is heat-sensitive(and driver uses those temps to initiate throttle before damage occurs), analogue design can handle a bit more heat.

RaPiDo987 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. aarog5606 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, here are the pics, although they are not very good.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the help fellas, very much appreciated.

16. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Cool, yet another design! It's very interesting to me to see how over time, these things change...

Given the lack of surface components here, I think I'm safe to say VRM monitoring isn't included with this card.

IF there's a fan on the case door blowing on the card, that should be more than sufficient to keep it cool.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that definitely looks like an analog VRM system because of the presence of regular MOSFETs.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  18. aarog5606 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, i have a fan on the door and decent case cooling. I have wolfdale 3.3ghz processor oc'ed to 3.99ghz and cpu temps seem ok.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

19. scorpio110367 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the BB XFX HD4890's are all non-ref cards. I know, I've got one. Now these are the newer one's with the cooler blowing in the middle. I guess the older ref designed are the ones with the cooler blowing back.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Was this not known some time ago that there lowest clocked one was not reference ?. Some one else on here a few months ago was on about it and was the reason i opted for the one i have which the default clocks are 875\975 but still carry's the reference design.

21. RaPiDo987

RaPiDo987 New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yes, correct, although they still need a bit of airflow to remain cool. If they get too hot, the heat from them will travel through the pcb, and may affect stability of other parts.

If you look at the second last pic aarog posted, there are two small matching black bits(mosfets), and a larger grey bit (choke) that convert the voltage from PCI-E plug to the voltage the card uses, and they can get pretty hot, but are tolerant of pretty high temps.

RaPiDo987 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU