• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua Introduces NH-L9i Low-profile CPU Coolers for LGA1700 and NA-FD1 Fan Duct

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
It does on overclock, not default clocks. So I have not lied, it does use more than 300 watts overclocked. Why can't you accept the fact alder lake is a fail? anyway, this is not the topic.

Look, i hope you are not blind, I will post the 12600k once again, that is clear 319 watts.

In Noctua chart "compatible" doesn't mean : " 5GHZ OC all core while rendering all day long with temps below 70°c". Compatible can mean that the CPU can run without throttling, even if the max boost clock can't be reached. It's not ideal, but people using such a tiny cooler knows that they aren't going for maximal performance and silence.

125w is basically the base power of the 12600k, and 4.3 Ghz isn't the maximum boost of the core i5 at stock settings. zen2 isn't compatible, but some zen 3 are :/
1636460377909.png

1636460423462.png

1636460843370.png

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
You are losing focus here, please be focused. Anyway, like i said previously that is clear 319 watts, so i will say again, it used more than 300 watts. So I have not lied or made it up, why can't you accept that? It's so hard to see the image and not accept the truth?
speaking of focus
We have managed to dissipate up to around 160 W on the Core i9-12900K, pushing it to over 4.2 GHz, and up to 125 W on the Core i5-12600K running at 4.3 GHz
all those power consumption graphs you're showing show speeds of 5.1Ghz plus for 300+ watts.

now go back to the graph dedi posted and see an i9 @4.2Ghz ~160 watts.

1636458842645.png

With delta fans they can even do 500 watts ehhe, jokes aside, very high static pressure is king, so yes it depends on things but radiator wise a 240mm and normal fan is up to 150w. Anyway this is off topic.
You were never on topic, tbf.

In the strix lc 3080 ti review, a single 240mm rad with typical quiet-ish asus fans cools down even 400 Watts quite easily.
1636461790951.png

speaking of focus

all those power consumption graphs you're showing show speeds of 5.1Ghz plus for 300+ watts.

now go back to the graph dedi posted and see an i9 @4.2Ghz ~160 watts.

View attachment 224505

Is not full package, so yes using few cores that is how it is, 12900k single thread power consumption is way better than even my ryzen 5900x. The question is are you buying a 12900k and lock on single thread? I mean, I was thinking few days ago why intel does not release a 12900k single thread version only hehe, i mean 1 performance core only. That will be amazing for power saving ehhe, this low profile cooler will do wonders on that 12900k single thread hehe

You were never on topic, tbf.

In the strix lc 3080 ti review, a single 240mm rad with typical quiet-ish asus fans cools down even 400 Watts quite easily.
View attachment 224504

Like i said before, you can't change the law of physics. You put a better fan and yes it does a better job, given normal common fans then 99% will be the same.

Last edited:
System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
Is not full package, so yes using few cores that is how it is, 12900k single thread is way better than even my ryzen 5900x. The question is are you buying a 12900k and lock on single thread? I mean, I was thinking few days ago why intel does not release a 12900k single thread version only hehe, i mean 1 performance core only. That will be amazing for power saving ehhe, this low profile cooler will do wonder son that 12900k single thread hehe
just stop with the deflections the stated marketing is perfectly feasible. who in blue blazes is going to throw a 300 watt chip in a SFF build [as this cooler is marketed for!] and air cool it?

you just don't get it - now your using my edited graph w/o realizing where you're wrong. again the clock speeds are limited regardless of the load . . :shadedshu:

still waiting for the 12600k > 300W Full package results here.

I already showed the image as per the techpower review, now if you believe it or not that is for you to decide ehhe, not going to bother again, if we keep this up, this will be loop of yes and no, better we stop here, well I will.

I already showed the image as per the techpower review, now if you believe it or not that is for you to decide ehhe, not going to bother again, if we keep this up, this will be loop of yes and no, better we stop here, well I will.
PACKAGE POWER. Hehe. I guess you can’t. Hehe.

In the TPU review the gaming load is even higher, HEHE.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
b: I never said they claimed, I said this is not enough for that, yes they cited the 12900k in their tests which in my opinion was a mistake. This low profile cooler is not for the 12900k and yet they included in the tests to brag.
If you didn't say they claimed that, what or who are you arguing against here? I don't get it. "Nobody said this would be possible, but there's no way this is possible" sounds like you're getting confused to me.
My ryzen 5900x uses a 150w aio 240mm cooler and yet it cant cool down a 140 watts cpu. So reason I laughed noctua came up with a low profile cooler using a 12900k hehe, not even their top air cooler can do the job well on that 12900k.
What does "can't cool down" mean? What are your acceptable temperatures/clocks for that? Remember, this is an SFF cooler. It might be able to keep a 12900K running at 160W power draw, but it'll likely be running up against tJmax while doing so. Which is fine - the CPU can take it. If that's not acceptable to you, but you for example insist on thermals in the 60s or 70s, then you obviously have to lower your expectations for clocks and power draws.
It's running unlocked here, which isn't stock.
Nope. All stock settings. The graph is purposely labeled peak power though - they make no claims to this being sustained over any period of time.
I've used the NH-L9a in a SFF Ryzen 3400G build and it barely kept up there. I think this will work well with the LGA1700 celerons, pentiums and maybe up to the cheapest i3 but anything more than that is a no.

Their claim of 160W is ridiculous at best.
What does "barely kept up" mean? What thermals? In what case? With what airflow? Context is crucial for SFF cooling (and all cooling, really). I've seen plenty of builds cooled using this cooler with much, much more powerful CPUs than a 3400G.
Is not full package, so yes using few cores that is how it is, 12900k single thread power consumption is way better than even my ryzen 5900x. The question is are you buying a 12900k and lock on single thread? I mean, I was thinking few days ago why intel does not release a 12900k single thread version only hehe, i mean 1 performance core only. That will be amazing for power saving ehhe, this low profile cooler will do wonders on that 12900k single thread hehe
Or they could just buy a 12900K (or 5950X for something similarly overkill) with the purpose of maximizing performance in a given case+thermal envelope through selective tuning, power limiting and airflow optimizations. You'd still keep your ST performance through all of that unless you start going all-core underclocking with turbo disabled.

just stop with the deflections the stated marketing is perfectly feasible. who in blue blazes is going to throw a 300 watt chip in a SFF build [as this cooler is marketed for!] and air cool it?

you just don't get it - now your using my edited graph w/o realizing where you're wrong. again the clock speeds are limited regardless of the load . . :shadedshu:

Wrong in? sorry i did not understand what you meant. Your image is spot on, not saying is false, you need to understand that is using pov ray, 160w is perfectly normal for that application, is not full package, dont know why you tried to say otherwise and attacking what i have not said at all. I agreed with your image but pointed to facts shown there.

If you didn't say they claimed that, what or who are you arguing against here? I don't get it. "Nobody said this would be possible, but there's no way this is possible" sounds like you're getting confused to me.

What does "can't cool down" mean? What are your acceptable temperatures/clocks for that? Remember, this is an SFF cooler. It might be able to keep a 12900K running at 160W power draw, but it'll likely be running up against tJmax while doing so. Which is fine - the CPU can take it. If that's not acceptable to you, but you for example insist on thermals in the 60s or 70s, then you obviously have to lower your expectations for clocks and power draws.

Nope. All stock settings. The graph is purposely labeled peak power though - they make no claims to this being sustained over any period of time.

What does "barely kept up" mean? What thermals? In what case? With what airflow? Context is crucial for SFF cooling (and all cooling, really). I've seen plenty of builds cooled using this cooler with much, much more powerful CPUs than a 3400G.

Or they could just buy a 12900K (or 5950X for something similarly overkill) with the purpose of maximizing performance in a given case+thermal envelope through selective tuning, power limiting and airflow optimizations. You'd still keep your ST performance through all of that unless you start going all-core underclocking with turbo disabled.

The heat builds up more than the cooler itself cools it down, that is when you know that cooler is not up for set clocks or said tdp if default clocks.

The heat builds up more than the cooler itself cools it down, that is when you know that cooler is not up for set clocks.
But the cooler performance increases as it heats up.

In water cooling, going from 40C to 60C liquid temp in a 20C room doubles your coolers performance in Watts at the same fan speeds.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
The heat builds up more than the cooler itself cools it down, that is when you know that cooler is not up for set clocks.
Uh ... what? You reach steady-state at some point. If it gets too hot, the CPU will throttle. What is your steady-state level? At what combination of fan speeds, pump speeds, CPU power draw, CPU temperature? That's what matters, not that ... things get hotter (until they don't).

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
If you want a performance system, give this cooler a miss.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Only if fans still have more room, if fans are at 100% then gameover.
Actually not - as the temperature delta between your radiator and the ambient air increases (i.e. the radiator heats up) heat transfer efficiency will increase, leading to a higher-than-linear increase in thermal transfer as the radiator gets hotter (assuming steady airflow).

Uh ... what? You reach steady-state at some point. If it gets too hot, the CPU will throttle. What is your steady-state level? At what combination of fan speeds, pump speeds, CPU power draw, CPU temperature? That's what matters, not that ... things get hotter (until they don't).

Yes, that is dependent to manufactures throttle temperature value, not sure when it will hit on alder lake, probably 105c or so, usually is around that.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
If you want a performance system, give this cooler a miss.
Only if your definition of "performance system" necessarily means "performance with no regard to size", as this cooler will let you build one hell of a portable workstation. (Of course there are also lots of cases supporting slightly larger coolers like the NH-L12s wich will obviously perform even better, but the case will be less portable.)
Yes, that is dependent to manufactures throttle temperature value, not sure when it will hit on alder lake, probably 105c or so, usually is around that.
I was asking about your CPU and your cooler. You said your cooler was insufficient because
The heat builds up more than the cooler itself cools it down
which doesn't address the core question of what makes the cooler insufficient - for it to be so it must fail in some tangible way, i.e. too high steady-state temperatures, thermal throttling, excessive noise, etc. I was asking about your specific tolerances and limits for these questions, not manufacturer-specified limits.

D

Deleted member 215115

It was a Fractal Design Node 202 case so airflow was good since the cooler was right underneath the perforated part of the side panel.

The CPU reached 80 degrees or something like that. I don't remember the exact tests I performed but I do remember thinking to myself "Wow, so this is the limit of such a low profile cooler. Good thing I didn't go for a higher TDP CPU".

Actually not - as the temperature delta between your radiator and the ambient air increases (i.e. the radiator heats up) heat transfer efficiency will increase, leading to a higher-than-linear increase in thermal transfer as the radiator gets hotter (assuming steady airflow).

So your theory is if fans are 100% always and the radiator keeps heating up then it will increase performance in heat transfer but what about temperature? I have done a similar test here few days ago, steady 100% fans and then temperature going up and up and then it hit the thermal limit, yes probably you right on that but the temperature kept increasing and boom, system turned off.

So my statement holds true, if fans are 100% and temperature keeps rising them gameover, maybe some people think a temperature will be hit and will not rise anymore than that, I thought that too and I was wrong. It kept rising and rising, steady, clearly it needed better fans or better heat transfer to keep from rising.

So your theory is if fans are 100% always and the radiator keeps heating up then it will increase performance in heat transfer but what about temperature? I have done a similar test here few days ago, steady 100% fans and then temperature going up and up and then it hit the thermal limit, yes probably you right on that but the temperature kept increasing and boom, system turned off.

So my statement holds true, if fans are 100% and temperature keeps rising them gameover.
It’s not a theory, but a fact. The temperature will eventually stop climbing as the coolers performance increases with the higher delta t between water and air.

In your case the cpu just got too warm to function properly.

Also, how the hell did you manage to shut your system down with a 240mm rad and fans going full blast? Poor contact with the processor? Silly overclock? Modern processors simply throttle down, and don’t shut down.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Custom Loop
Case Roswell Stryker
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Wrong in? sorry i did not understand what you meant. Your image is spot on, not saying is false, you need to understand that is using pov ray, 160w is perfectly normal for that application, is not full package, dont know why you tried to say otherwise and attacking what i have not said at all. I agreed with your image but pointed to facts shown there.
that POV is better than anything you provided. again this is for a SFF build for a HTPC - what load(s) and cherry picked power consumption graphs you are trying to use are not relevant.

focus; anything above that red line i edited is irrelevant in the marketing.

that POV is better than anything you provided. again this is for a SFF build for a HTPC - what load(s) and cherry picked power consumption graphs you are trying to use are not relevant.
How is cherry picked? is from techpower review and I also showed the anandtech, why cant you accept the fact what showed on the image you provided? 272w full package.