• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua NH-D14 vs Liquid Cooling

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Not to mention once you Invest in watercooling, you will have a watercooled PC for a long time, through many hardware changes. Only thing you may need to upgrade is a $3 bracket add/remove tubing. I have had the same pump and radiators since socket 939.

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Not to mention once you Invest in watercooling, you will have a watercooled PC for a long time, through many hardware changes. Only thing you may need to upgrade is a $3 bracket add/remove tubing. I have had the same pump and radiators since socket 939.

VERY good point, though I can't help but upgrade my loop occasionally. ;)

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10

I've moved my S1283 from 775 to AM2+ to AM3 and soon it's going to 1156.

So, same. :)

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
@TIGR-The only way would to be able to explain to you the fundamentals of heat transfer, and I don't have the time. Get out a Thermodynamics text book, and check out the transfer properties of water, copper, and air. Then create a diagram and try and factor in some personal logic to see where the weaknesses of a transfer medium are overcome by design and engineering.

Quoting yourself and adding an emoticon won't satiate your curiosity, and it won't happen by demanding other people make observations for you. If you want an answer you can get behind then do it yourself. Otherwise you're going to look at a graph and take it at 1/10th the value of the information gathered in that test.

System Name Suck it
Processor i7 860 @ 3.5GHz
Motherboard eVGA p55 FTW
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE 2
Memory 4gb Corsair Dominator @ 1600
Video Card(s) X2 Supercharged 570's
Storage 1 80gb Intel SSD/2 128gb Mushkin IO SSDs raid 0/1 500gb WD Caviar Black/2tb WD Caviar Black
Display(s) ASUS MT276HE 27"
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Ultra X4 1050W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
Fair enough. This is the only potential downside. However, if you follow certain steps, the risk is minimal. I'm OCD about my loops, so I triple check that everything is sealed and tight, and I use plubers tape on all my barbs. Then I run my loop away from components for 12 hours before I install it. :D

One day I will be able to do this...

I don’t trust myself as of now because my (soon to be ex) wife’s sh*thead antics cause me to drink some nights. And to tune her out, I work on pcs while she’s awake. Hopefully by the time the dust settles I can stop destroying my liver and focus on what the hell I’m doing! :roll:

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Relax, and maybe eat a banana. The point is, you're entirely off the point of the thread. There is nobody here uneducated enough to claim air is more effective than water at transferring heat. No need for a intellectual pissing contest either; the thermal conductivity of copper, water, and air (at room temp) are 401, .67, and .026 W/m K respectively. Their specific heat capacities are .385, 4.181, and 1.005 kJ/kgK respectively. Knowing this and how it relates to PC cooling does not grant you the right to arrogance; it simply means you know what pretty much everyone else here knows.

Now, as far as demanding that other people make observations: if I never looked to others for observations, I would know nothing. The same goes for you. Guess what, I got the thermal conductivity and specific heat capacities above from a book! I didn't observe them myself. Have you measured them yourself or did you read about them somewhere? There are benchmarks and tests all over the Internet regarding the performance of various computer components. This thread is about finding out whether there is a recent one comparing the best air cooling setup with other air as well as liquid cooling configurations. Heck, toss in phase change and LN2, because I'd like to see how they all stack up.

If you don't like this thread, feel free to not post in it. And I highly recommend you eat that banana now. You're the only one getting riled up here. ;)

Are you trying to get me worked up by accusing me of it? If you read what I wrote it makes sense. I'm telling you the steps to figure out the truth and to the letter of the law. Since my opinion based on fact wasn't enough then that's the way you go about figuring it out. Come on :rolleyes:

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
@TIGR-The only way would to be able to explain to you the fundamentals of heat transfer, and I don't have the time. Get out a Thermodynamics text book, and check out the transfer properties of water, copper, and air. Then create a diagram and try and factor in some personal logic to see where the weaknesses of a transfer medium are overcome by design and engineering.

Quoting yourself and adding an emoticon won't satiate your curiosity, and it won't happen by demanding other people make observations for you. If you want an answer you can get behind then do it yourself. Otherwise you're going to look at a graph and take it at 1/10th the value of the information gathered in that test.

It goes without saying that water can out-cool an air setup.

Relax, and maybe eat a banana. The point is, you're entirely off the point of the thread. There is nobody here uneducated enough to claim air is more effective than water at transferring heat. No need for a intellectual pissing contest either; the thermal conductivity of copper, water, and air (at room temp) are 401, .67, and .026 W/m K respectively. Their specific heat capacities are .385, 4.181, and 1.005 kJ/kgK respectively. Knowing this and how it relates to PC cooling does not grant you the right to arrogance; it simply means you know what pretty much everyone else here knows.

Now, as far as demanding that other people make observations: if I never looked to others for observations, I would know nothing. The same goes for you. Guess what, I got the thermal conductivity and specific heat capacities above from a book! I didn't observe them myself. Have you measured them yourself or did you read about them somewhere? There are benchmarks and tests all over the Internet regarding the performance of various computer components. This thread is about finding out whether there is a recent one comparing the best air cooling setup with other air as well as liquid cooling configurations. Heck, toss in phase change and LN2, because I'd like to see how they all stack up.

If you don't like this thread, feel free to not post in it. And I highly recommend you eat that banana now. You're the only one getting riled up here. ;)

Edit: accidentally deleted this post while editing. It should be before Binge's last one. Binge, relax. You're not contributing and I won't reply to you again unless in a future post you have something useful to add to this thread.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
You're totally right buddy. I'm not contributing a block diagram, charts, and graphs because I don't have the time. You, by saying,

'....a $150 liquid cooling setup had damn well better outperform an $80 air cooler; the question is, by how much?'

'....which leads us the the OP, where I'm looking for actual side-by-side tests.

All is relative, but some hard numbers would put them into perspective.'

admit that you want a method in which to find out an answer. I gave you the method now spend the money and figure it out. Nobody here wants to work that hard, and everyone who's used both water and high end air are speaking in relative terms of performance where good is good and better than good is variably better than good. Maybe you should check out http://martin.skinneelabs.com/ so you can learn how water systems are measured in efficiency. That will give you a good idea about how all of the parts in the loop transfer heat and how double the surface area of a water radiator is exponentially greater in cooling capacity than double the surface area of a stand alone copper/aluminum cooler.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
1. yes it will outperform an h50. h50 is the lowest end watercooling you can possibly buy... next to the domino ALC.

2. it will not outperform a dual rad... it will get slaughtered, by how much depends on the chip and the heat that it puts out, as well as a plethora of other factors. But it will get creamed.

3. is it worth it? IMO If you're trying to get the max OC on a new intel quad (i7/i5 etc) then yes, if you're running a chip which is not limited by temps on the OC (like AMD phenom II's or anything dual core) then no.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
Binge: What I want is to see the results of testing. 99% of the good people here at TPU, including myself, don't have the money or time to buy and compare all the cooling setups we'd like to see tested. That's why we look at articles, benchmarks, and tests by others. Most of us, myself included, are well aware of how the various systems work. I realize it can be fun and satisfying to make condescending, disparaging remarks about the knowledge of others, and it helps mask your lack of ability to contribute anything relevant, but at the request of the OP, please don't clutter this thread with any more of it. I don't care how many posts or Thanks you have here or anywhere else; you're going to have to earn the status of a person with valuable ideas/information/thoughts to contribute, from square one, before I respond to you any further. So if you don't get responded to after this, now you know why.

phanbuey: thanks!

Just look at reviews of a NH-D14. There are plenty to read. Now, consider what a water cooled setup may consist of, performance will vary depending on parts used. Here is the easy answer.

In stock form the NH-D14 is the best air cooling solution available. It will cost you $90+ when you factor in shipping. You can take a lapped TRUE, that has a lapped CPU, with two 2,000RPM fans and I bet it will perform very similar to a stock NH-D14 setup.

Now factor what I typed above to a water setup. It varies from setup to setup. <---- thats the answer BTW
If you want concrete, factual data, Google or Bing (that varies too) up comparisons and formulate you're own conclusion. Unless someone has both a NH-D14, a water setup, and plenty of time to do all this work for you, I don't think anything anyone else says is going to satisfy you.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
I have to wonder because D14 and Venomous X performance vary between different reviews, so which one is ultimately better?

lol... stop it kan, you're adding rocket fuel to this pink fire.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Binge: What I want is to see the results of testing. 99% of the good people here at TPU, including myself, don't have the money or time to buy and compare all the cooling setups we'd like to see tested. That's why we look at articles, benchmarks, and tests by others. Most of us, myself included, are well aware of how the various systems work. I realize it can be fun and satisfying to make condescending, disparaging remarks about the knowledge of others, and it helps mask your lack of ability to contribute anything relevant, but at the request of the OP, please don't clutter this thread with any more of it. I don't care how many posts or Thanks you have here or anywhere else; you're going to have to earn the status of a person with valuable ideas/information/thoughts to contribute, from square one, before I respond to you any further. So if you don't get responded to after this, now you know why.

phanbuey: thanks!

TIGR- Why would I have linked you martin's liquid lab if I wasn't trying to meet some sort of compromise to explain the information I presented in previous posts? You should check out the link. Martin, created that site in order for people to understand water cooling and it's effectiveness by making it comparable to ANY cooler benchmark. His tests/recorded results give YOU the means to make informed observations when looking at the results of others and how to form your own. You would learn a lot, and I sense that you're taking a lot of what's being said and reading it with undue inflection. I hope you know nothing I said was meant to demean you. It's really hard to get the point across without being blunt, so that's all the explanation I have for my actions and enjoy the info @ martin's and the framework I've given you to make your own observations. If you happen to record anything useful along the way don't make the same mistakes I did and keep the info disorganized. For some reason folks like charts :ohwell:

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
lol... stop it kan, you're adding rocket fuel to this pink fire.

I'm oblivious to all arguments on this forum. When I get sick of it I'll hit the report button a few times and go on with my quest for knowledge here @ TPU. :D

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
Lol sorry guys, I already decided to stop reading (much less replying to) said argument. Honest to god, I was trying to be fair, mature, and objective ... and not too serious. ;)

But Kantastic, you bring up a good point; the discrepancies between reviews beg a larger, carefully done test. Someone posted a rather comprehensive on air coolers recently, but it'd be nice to see more options included, from entry level to top end. I posted this topic because after seeing roundups of 80 types of TIM, dozens of CPU coolers, etc. who knows what else is out there that I haven't found....

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
Edit: nvm.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
System Name Old Skool
Processor E6750 @ 3.6 ghz
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v
Memory 4gb Kingston DDR2 @ 900mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GT 512MB
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Display(s) VIEWSONIC vx2260wm
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek (on board) + Logitech x540
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
I will start hustling after I play mass effect 2.

A little off course, just finished ME2, this game is truely worth it, its just awesome, especially the last 30 mins! Its like some kinda sci fi movie. Pity I didn't play the first one :slap:. I won't miss the 3rd one though!

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
You can go off course as much as you like lol, this topic is officially derailed.

System Name Old Skool
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Case HAF 922
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
You can go off course as much as you like lol, this topic is officially derailed.

Feels kinda strange, a thread starting with noctua v/s WC ending up discussing about mass effect... :laugh:

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
:laugh: So how bout that Superbowl?

(kidding)

System Name Old Skool
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Case HAF 922
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
ok lets just mix it up then, why not the effect of superbowl on geeks? ;) Kidding too! ;)