• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua NH-D15 and my Ryzen 7 1700X.

Prime95 is out dated. I would much rather use Asus Realbench as it simulates regular usage

You will also maintain stability at higher OCs since voltage rather then temps will be the limiting factor. I never saw the logic of testing with synthetics. Kinda like testing out a new SUV because you just bought a Ski-Doo and need to take it from seal level to your house at elevation 80. You don't test it to see if it can tow a 12,000 pond load up and over the rocky mountains. The voltage boost you get when AVX instructions are present w/ P95 past ver 26.6 (IIRC) is scary and even if it doesn't hurt anything, will unnecessarily limit your OCs due to temps that you will never otherwise see under any imaginable circumstance. Did you build ya PC to play games and run programs ... or to get ya name on web site leaderboards ?

Besides ..... last time I used p95, after being 24 hour stable with temps in the high 80s, I ran RoG Bench and it crashed within 45 minutes ... RB presents a multitasking load with different kind of loads on different cores. Not that same identical loading that synthetics do. To get RB stable I had to boost the voltage from 1.365 to 1.3875 ... but temps at the higher are 8 - 9C lower on average.

Why unreal ? Cause running it has no real value; it dos not represent any type of load that your PC will experience in it's lifetime ... ever. No application or combination of applications generate a similar loading.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
That may be true, but when your pc is unstable it is essentially a random number generator instead of being a calculator. Being random, you don't know when that bad number will be generated. Could be when you open that app, are in that game, running that bench, encoding that file, etc. On that note, because a computer is a pretty strong calculator, I like Linpack Extreme. Lately, its the only app that I trust. Ill sometimes run some real bench after, and usually see at least 20c lower load temps. And it passes, unless my gpu is wound up a little too far from running a bench.. I built my pc to run everything reliably. If I miss out on a couple hundred MHz, its not a huge loss. Probably wouldn't even notice it anyways. Only in the benchmarks.. Just my advice, run linpack extreme until you cant deal with the heat anymore, then use realbench and others when your ready to guesstimate. That way you can build on a solid foundation. Or don't.. and keep guessing.

Processor ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard AB350m Pro4
Cooling custom loop
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force TXKD416G3600HC18ADC01 16gbs XMP
Video Card(s) HP GTX1650 super 4gb
Storage MZVLB256HBHQ-000H1 PM981a (256GB)/3TB HDD
Display(s) Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx
Case Rosewill CULLINAN
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Mouse Best Buy Insignia
Keyboard Best Buy Insignia
Software Win 10 pro
right out of the prime95 stress test read me,"This program is a good stress test for the CPU, memory, L1 and L2 caches,CPU cooling, and case cooling. The torture test runs continuously, comparing your computer's results to results that are known to be correct." if your pc cant pass prime than it probably means something is wrong. prime should not be used solely by itself to determine stability but it is in no way outdated.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I gave up on prime years ago. I've seen it fail at all different intervals, even after 24 hours. Or go to use an app and it crashes right away when its 20 hours prime stable lol. Or have it bluescreen when you close the app after its been running for 12 hours haha. That app is misery.

That may be true, but when your pc is unstable it is essentially a random number generator instead of being a calculator. Being random, you don't know when that bad number will be generated. Could be when you open that app, are in that game, running that bench, encoding that file, etc. On that note, because a computer is a pretty strong calculator, I like Linpack Extreme. Lately, its the only app that I trust. Ill sometimes run some real bench after, and usually see at least 20c lower load temps. And it passes, unless my gpu is wound up a little too far from running a bench.. I built my pc to run everything reliably. If I miss out on a couple hundred MHz, its not a huge loss. Probably wouldn't even notice it anyways. Only in the benchmarks.. Just my advice, run linpack extreme until you cant deal with the heat anymore, then use realbench and others when your ready to guesstimate. That way you can build on a solid foundation. Or don't.. and keep guessing.

But that's the point ,,,, Run reliable under real world loads or run reliably under imaginary loadings that it will never see ? Think of a tennis ball machine firing balls at you once every 2 seconds from a stationary point and you have to swat them away .... you could basically just stand there and hold the racket in a fixed position and call the wife and tell her you'll bring home milk and bread. Now put 4 tennis ball machines out there tossing one every 8 seconds but you don't know where it's going to come from. The 1st test will leave ya with a lot less bruises.

The other thing with Linpack or P95 is that i get failures after 3 hours, 45 minutes, 17 hours and Im not close to a stable OC voltage .... with RB, I run the last 2 minute multitasking benchmark and it gets dialed in after 2 minute time investment. In addition, temperature is avariable ... as you system components heat up, it changes how electrons flow. But if I invest 24 hours in getting a stable P95 OC and it fails in 52 miunutes on RB, I can only conclude that a) it's not all it's cracked up to be and b) it requires too much of my T & E

I wouldn't say it's outdated tho. I still use it to thermally cycle TIM. Who want's to deal with AS5's 7 weeks of curing ? Even other manufacturers who claim that they need no curing, testing shows that temps do improve with thermal cycling ... Thread here on the forum to that effect regarding Thermal Grizzly. With a desk fan w/switch and low fan / pump rpms ... ya can rapidly cycle the temps up to 85C w/ P95 and then shut down turn on the desk fan and get 10-12 cycles done quickly.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
IMG-9991.JPG

IMG-9992.JPG

IMG-9993.JPG

IMG-9994.JPG

I installed the fans in the reverse way since it's upside down and back wards it is actually on "Right" . Fans are installed correctly and it is working as factory setup.
It's just upside down and backwards.
I am going to run some OCCT line pack see how hot it gets under that load.

Running OCCT, Playing a video and also using the system to post this picture of the temps.
So now what do you think?
I am JUST BLOWN AWAY! TBH!

runing test occt.jpg

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Glad you are happy with the performance! I hope all is well with you. The system looks great!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
View attachment 121797

View attachment 121798
View attachment 121799

View attachment 121800

I installed the fans in the reverse way since it's upside down and back wards it is actually on "Right" . Fans are installed correctly and it is working as factory setup.
It's just upside down and backwards.
I am going to run some OCCT line pack see how hot it gets under that load.

Running OCCT, Playing a video and also using the system to post this picture of the temps.
So now what do you think?
I am JUST BLOWN AWAY! TBH!

View attachment 121802

Its running stock, right? Seeing 3.8 Ghz. Not so very sure what is so special here? What are you surprised about?

But that's the point ,,,, Run reliable under real world loads or run reliably under imaginary loadings that it will never see ? Think of a tennis ball machine firing balls at you once every 2 seconds from a stationary point and you have to swat them away .... you could basically just stand there and hold the racket in a fixed position and call the wife and tell her you'll bring home milk and bread. Now put 4 tennis ball machines out there tossing one every 8 seconds but you don't know where it's going to come from. The 1st test will leave ya with a lot less bruises.

The other thing with Linpack or P95 is that i get failures after 3 hours, 45 minutes, 17 hours and Im not close to a stable OC voltage .... with RB, I run the last 2 minute multitasking benchmark and it gets dialed in after 2 minute time investment. In addition, temperature is avariable ... as you system components heat up, it changes how electrons flow. But if I invest 24 hours in getting a stable P95 OC and it fails in 52 miunutes on RB, I can only conclude that a) it's not all it's cracked up to be and b) it requires too much of my T & E

I wouldn't say it's outdated tho. I still use it to thermally cycle TIM. Who want's to deal with AS5's 7 weeks of curing ? Even other manufacturers who claim that they need no curing, testing shows that temps do improve with thermal cycling ... Thread here on the forum to that effect regarding Thermal Grizzly. With a desk fan w/switch and low fan / pump rpms ... ya can rapidly cycle the temps up to 85C w/ P95 and then shut down turn on the desk fan and get 10-12 cycles done quickly.

You say that but Ive already come across multiple topics of people obverclocking with that approach only to find out there are hot loads anyway and then 'poof" BSOD or hard lock.

There is no 'simple' OC like that. It just means you havent fed it the proper load yet but you will. All you really get to enjoy is a high degree of uncertainty and an issue when troubleshooting problems, because there is also an OC to narrow down from.

That is why synthetics are valuable. If you cannot pass OCCT linpack on all threads, its just not stable.

Last edited:

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
OMG this thing is SICK!!! Full hour run and also still surfing net and watching video.
This is the end results so far! And can I just say OYG this is AMAZING.
occt one hour.jpg

What do you think?

D

Deleted member 24505

The max on mine gaming is 56 with a single fan, which i am happy with. I don't run stress tests any more, gaming is the most i stress mine out anyway.

Also I put mine the right way up, couldn't handle the name upside down.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Good lord those coolers are huge.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
OMG this thing is SICK!!! Full hour run and also still surfing net and watching video.
This is the end results so far! And can I just say OYG this is AMAZING.

What do you think?
Looks great, man. I'd probably be pretty happy with that. You gotta try the 'X' features though! They're seriously awesome. Jump on that PBO, yo! It's the shit.

Build's lookin pretty good, too. I see some other nice things in there. Solid.

Just wanna say... following this odyssey from the beginning, it is personally satisfying for me to see it all come together, because I have been there. At the start of last year, I made my reentry to the hobby after many years away. I was so excited to get started. And then everything that could possibly go wrong, did. Some of it was my own mistakes. A lot of it was just god awful luck. Months and months of absolutely inexplicable setbacks. But the point is, I know exactly how that feels. It starts to eat away at you after a while... you're in all of this time and money... and yet it feels like you have nothing to show for it. Takes a bite out of your confidence. It fucking sucks, man. Every little thing gets drawn under the microscope, greatly amplifying the already overwhelming anger and dissatisfaction. By the end of it, I had to replace pretty much everything but the case. Of course, I've made upgrades since then, but it's never a good day when the thought "I guess I'm buying a new motherboard now..." makes perfect sense.

But in the end, I was able to regain my composure and make it happen. My mindset shifted from 'enough' to 'the best'. I made lemonade out of it, replacing things that caused problems with better things. Cost me some good money, but it does soften the blows. They're not replacements, but instead 'impromptu upgrades' hehe. I no longer cared what I had to put in, so long as I wound up with a build that killed it at everything I needed it to do. And you know what? Because of everything that happened to get me to that point, I wound up with a way better build than I originally planned on having, or even considered within reach at the outset. And in a weird way, this build means so much more to me *because* of what I had to go through. If everything went perfect and I got what I originally envisioned, I wouldn't be anywhere near as happy with it. I've done dozens of builds since then with no hitches and nothing but happy new owners. Truthfully, many of them are considerably nicer than mine is or will ever be. But this one is still my favorite and I continue to enjoy just using it and making improvements to it. Honestly it has completely changed the way I do the things that I do and how I use my PC time. That wouldn't have happened if everything worked the first time around.

So I'm glad you managed to come out on top in the end. That is a triumph worth celebrating. I really respect the fact that as mad as you got, you still paid attention to the advice given and made the calls you needed to make in order to turn it around on your own. Truly, man. A lot of people would've just said "FUCK IT. I'm out." Things always work out better when a person owns their misfortunes, though.

Hope you're finding the same joy and vindication that I found through my trials, as I'm sure others here have, too. Enjoy that setup. You've definitely earned it after that whole ordeal!

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
truth be known it is only thanks to the help I got here at TPU.
I could not be happier, at all. You eggheads really hit it out of the park this time!

:rockout::respect::clap::lovetpu:

Your welcome
time for custom water cooling? Or a Corsair H115i or Swiftech H360 AIO unit? If you want to stay on air, get the best (Cryorg R1 Ultimate or Noctua NH D15)

Another alternative, and one to consider if your going to replace another heat sink is the Deep Cool Assassin heat sink. Yeah, I know, the name is kinda weird, but it's a awesome performing heat sink that is very similar in appearance to the D15, but about $25 less expensive. Here's how it performs with my 3930k running 100% full load at 4.5GHz @ 1.4 volts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vCL7YJ/deepcool-cpu-cooler-assassinii

Last edited:
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Good lord those coolers are huge.

Here are my monster heatsinks. Go big or go home ;)

In GTA V after a few hours, sits at about peak 55*C CPU and 45*C GPU.

Last edited:

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Mouse Zowie EC3-C