• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NodeJS-rTorrent, A NodeJS based WebUI for rTorrent

Awesome?

• Total voters
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
a group of us are building a nodejs based rtorrent webui
and are seeking more developers and users

you can find our project here (please fork and submit pull request, but do ask about what needs to be coded)
https://github.com/roastlechon/nodejs-rtorrent

its in *active* development at the moment, soo its a little rough between the edges
things that do work is loading torrents, stopping, pausing, remove (does not delete data), rss feeds (with auto dl and regex, a little buggy atm)
new in the dev branch is direct fcgi and embedded database support (no need for mongoDB)

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
This would probably get more attention in the programming section of the forum.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
why nodejs ?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
why nodejs ?
I was thinking that as well. Personally I run my big downloads on my gateway and just use a Transmission front-end while the transmission-daemon runs on my server.

I cringe at the thought of using JavaScript for anything other than client-side web programming.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
I cringe at the thought of using JavaScript for anything other than client-side web programming.

I tried not to comment on this, i tried soooooo hard :) but why? Iv'e been working with node for almost 18 month now and found it extremely powerful, epically using browserify on the client so node functionality and API's can be shim'd on the client. Yes Javascript has huge pitfalls and you can very easily end up in a nasty place compared to other languages but in saying that ive learnt more with JavaScript in my very short career compared to other languages. Everything has it's place, Node just as much, and the key is using the correct tool for the job (Sorry to preach or anything there).

Anyhoo Ill have a gander at this when i get home :)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
I tried not to comment on this, i tried soooooo hard :) but why? Iv'e been working with node for almost 18 month now and found it extremely powerful, epically using browserify on the client so node functionality and API's can be shim'd on the client. Yes Javascript has huge pitfalls and you can very easily end up in a nasty place compared to other languages but in saying that ive learnt more with JavaScript in my very short career compared to other languages. Everything has it's place, Node just as much, and the key is using the correct tool for the job (Sorry to preach or anything there).

Anyhoo Ill have a gander at this when i get home :)

Node is just JavaScipt built for a server. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies with JS that doesn't make it conducive to server side programming. The absolute only reason I can see someone using Node.js is simply to not have a different language for both your client and server side code. If you're using Node.js for async processing then there are several better options.

These are a couple reasons that Node.JS can become problematic:
There is, of course, the question of sharing a single thread between all clients requests, and it is a potential pitfall of writing Node.js applications. Firstly, heavy computation could choke up Node’s single thread and cause problems for all clients (more on this later) as incoming requests would be blocked until said computation was completed. Secondly, developers need to be really careful not to allow an exception bubbling up to the core (topmost) Node.js event loop, which will cause the Node.js instance to terminate (effectively crashing the program).
http://www.toptal.com/nodejs/why-the-hell-would-i-use-node-js

I personally think that there are few languages that handle threading and shared memory better than Clojure but I do strongly feel that Node.js is one of those things that really is application specific weather or not the platform will be beneficial to it or not. Also Clojure has a JS compiler, so Clojure can be compiled down to JavaScript and with a tiny bit of work can be modified to run as both a client and server library.

I applogize, but I personally have a deep loathing for JS in general and Node.js was just a platform for a bad idea IMHO.

...and anther blog post I think is relevent:
Back to Node.js, I feel that Node.js is like PHP. I am not talking about the language itself - I am talking about why it is created. PHP was created to make web programming easier and it certainly achieves that goal. That’s why it gets popular and throughout these years, it evolves a lot to overcome some of its bad design. Node.js is very similar. It was create to make writing concurrent web applications easier. It tries to achieve this by choosing a language that every web programmer has more or less experience with - JavaScript. It also chooses a coding style that is common in JavaScript - event driven and callback style (reactor model). They are probably not the best design choice, but they certainly achieves the goal. Even though callback style (or CPS, Continuation-passing style) is not a good way to organise complex logic. Luckily, the logic of most web apps are not that complicated. And in case you are not lucky you can pull out promise to help you deal with callback hell. Node.js has evolved several great libraries to help you on that.

Node.js is fine, it has its merit and it serves its niche market well. So when you start a new real time web app with not-so-complicated logic, try it. If you are developing an online game, you might want to deal with concurrency more seriously - coroutines might suit you better. If you start a content-centric or CRUD web app, you don’t need Node.js. If you write it with Rails or Django, you can develop much faster and you don’t need to deal with callbacks mess on top of your logic. The thing is, for these apps, you don’t have lots of concurrent requests. And for a single request, most of the time is spent on network transfer and perhaps database query - Node.js does not solve the essential problem here. So instead of squeezing a few milliseconds out of perhaps a hundred, you are way better off getting a SSD or a better bandwidth.

So only use Node.js when you actually need it. Don’t just use it because it is cool / it is popular/ I heard it’s fast / I want to learn something new. And by the way, the best place to try something new is on your weekend project, not on your existing project that runs perfectly fine.
http://ruoyusun.com/2013/03/31/node-js-is-perfectly-fine-and-probably-you-dont-need-it.html

Easier for the programmer does not mean easier for the application.

Considering that Torrets are anything but light on computation and resources, I would highly recommend choosing a different language and platform to do this in.

Last edited:
System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
Node is just JavaScipt built for a server. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies with JS that doesn't make it conducive to server side programming. The absolute only reason I can see someone using Node.js is simply to not have a different language for both your client and server side code. If you're using Node.js for async processing then there are several better options.

These are a couple reasons that Node.JS can become problematic:

http://www.toptal.com/nodejs/why-the-hell-would-i-use-node-js

I personally think that there are few languages that handle threading and shared memory better than Clojure but I do strongly feel that Node.js is one of those things that really is application specific weather or not the platform will be beneficial to it or not. Also Clojure has a JS compiler, so Clojure can be compiled down to JavaScript and with a tiny bit of work can be modified to run as both a client and server library.

I applogize, but I personally have a deep loathing for JS in general and Node.js was just a platform for a bad idea IMHO.

...and anther blog post I think is relevent:

http://ruoyusun.com/2013/03/31/node-js-is-perfectly-fine-and-probably-you-dont-need-it.html

Easier for the programmer does not mean easier for the application.

Considering that Torrets are anything but light on computation and resources, I would highly recommend choosing a different language and platform to do this in.

Not going to reply to the entirety of this message as i don't want to de-rail the thread. (Might PM you after work though could be an interesting conversation :) )

However the bit at the end regarding the need of high computation and resources, this might be useful for the op.

http://nodejs.org/api/cluster.html

I created something similar for our automated deployment and testing system i built at work (didn't know about the above at the time). It allows you to spawn up a pool of nodejs instances, communicate between them. When load is high it is spread across this pool. If some high-level computing is needed a process is spawned up deals with it then killed. If exceptions are thrown, all new connections are forwarded to a new process then once all current connections are finished the process is killed.
This almost removes the issues of blocking IO killing the server. However i have found not much reason to do this. The most blocking work i perform is creating zip files with database .bak's in and this can all be performed asynchronously.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I created something similar for our automated deployment and testing system i built at work (didn't know about the above at the time). It allows you to spawn up a pool of nodejs instances, communicate between them. When load is high it is spread across this pool. If some high-level computing is needed a process is spawned up deals with it then killed. If exceptions are thrown, all new connections are forwarded to a new process then once all current connections are finished the process is killed.
This almost removes the issues of blocking IO killing the server. However i have found not much reason to do this. The most blocking work i perform is creating zip files with database .bak's in and this can all be performed asynchronously.

That's practically the same thing as HTTP load balancing. That doesn't help if node.js takes a lot of time to handle chunks. Also clustering it add issues with coordination. You couldn't effectively process more than one torrent file per cluster node because coordination overhead would be too great. As I said, Node.JS has its place and I don't think this project is one of them. You need something that's heavier with more flexibility on the concurrency side of things because shared memory is kind of a foreign concept to JavaScript because of how everything is based on callbacks and for something like a torrent client, you want to gain every advantage you can. The more you wait the slower downloads will go and no one will use the application if using Transmission or uTorrent will download something so much faster and probably can can do the same things.

Really all I'm saying is that Node.JS isn't the platform to use for an application like this. It's a good idea (the application itself) but don't set yourself into Node. It's the wrong tool for the job.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
i think some of you got confused
this is a web interface to rtorrent, as in rtorrent does 90% of the heavy lifting

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
i think some of you got confused
this is a web interface to rtorrent, as in rtorrent does 90% of the heavy lifting
why are you bumping a 5 month old thread ?
node sucks java sucks rtorrent sucks ... nuffsaid
never mind the fact that webui's are STUPID

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
why are you bumping a 5 month old thread ?
node sucks java sucks rtorrent sucks ... nuffsaid
never mind the fact that webui's are STUPID

Possibly because he missed some content. It is his thread afterall.

Won't comment on the rest because it's largely opinion, which you have a right to.