• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Non-flashable Gigabytes and the strangest occurence EVER

Listen to this! I knew about the unflashable Gigabyte 9550 cards especially since I happened to own one. But since I am a bit stubborn and I wanted to have a higher-clocked card, and I wanted the higher frequencies in the bios by all means, I edited the Atitool-dumped original bios with RaBit and tried to flash it. Atiflash and Flashrom predictably failed, but I also tried Gigabyte's own flash (gvf11.exe). Amazingly, if flashed the bios, but then I was unable to boot the Shuttle XPC on which the 9550 normally runs.

Of course I got a bit desperate, so I removed the card to put it into my other PC and retry flashing it with the original bios, with the assistance of a PCI card. But before plugging in the PCI I tried to boot the PC normally, especially since it runs off a Gigabyte motherboard. To my second amazement this afternoon, it booted fine. I rechecked the card on the Shuttle and it did not boot. So Gigabyte cards love each other.

I fired up WinXP only to witness some very strange behavior from the card - it refused to work with any recent drivers I threw at it, except the 4.5 Catalysts (the oldest I have in my machine). The symptoms? With 4.9 it gave me a blue, fatal error screen before entering Windows. After later drivers were installed, the videocard was not fully recognized (no ATI control panel, but device manager showed Radeon 9550 alright). Furthermore, my network connection got all messed up and somehow - and most curiously - the battery icon materialized in my tray. Anyway, the PC was slow and basically unusable.

Of course I tried reflashing with the original bios, but now gvf11 failed to work any wonders anymore. It gave out a strange error, something about "0" and empty page, if I remember correctly

And yet the card worked fine with Catalyst 4.5 (though not with 4.9 through 5.2), and furthermore, it worked at the higher flashed freqiuencies. I would have been content with this state of affairs, but unfortunately the 4.5 drivers completely mess up the overscan and I watch a lot of TV, so I had to abandon them.

I realize this seems hardly believable, but it really happened. So now I am waiting anxiously for the flashing utility to appear that can correctly flash the bios-locked 9550. Please be sure to let me know as soon as this happens.

blizzard-cro

Processor Athlon XP 2500+ clocked @ 2200 Mhz (3200+)
Motherboard Msi K7N2 Delta2 LSR
Cooling Glacialtech igloo 2520
Memory 2*256 Mb pc 4000 Kingmax hardcore
Video Card(s) asus 9550 GE clocked @ 350-240
Storage Seagate 160 GB
Display(s) LG Flatron F920B
Case Micase
Audio Device(s) AC 97
Power Supply Superflower 400W series
Software Windows XP
Last edited:

sweeper

System Name "X"
Processor AMD PHENOM II X 6 3.2GHz @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard ASUS M4A785-M
Cooling ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
Memory Kingston Hyper X DDR2 1066 2X2 - 4GB
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Storage Western Digital 500GB SATAII Black / Western Digital My Book Essential External HDD 1TB
Display(s) Soyo 22" LCD / Vizio 32" LCD
Case Thermaltake Xaser II Full Tower
Audio Device(s) ON-BOARD VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Antec Basiq 550W Plus Modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
"novibios.bin " ???

blizzard-cro

Processor Athlon XP 2500+ clocked @ 2200 Mhz (3200+)
Motherboard Msi K7N2 Delta2 LSR
Cooling Glacialtech igloo 2520
Memory 2*256 Mb pc 4000 Kingmax hardcore
Video Card(s) asus 9550 GE clocked @ 350-240
Storage Seagate 160 GB
Display(s) LG Flatron F920B
Case Micase
Audio Device(s) AC 97
Power Supply Superflower 400W series
Software Windows XP
yeah, novibios.bin = newbios.bin as my mate said :D :D

thanks nobru rv! ;)