1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Non-Gamer Bored And Looking For Light Entertainment

Discussion in 'Games' started by nomdeplume, Dec 31, 2016.

1. nomdeplume

nomdeplume

Thanks Received:
    This may date me horribly, but I was into consoles all the way from the original NES until PS2. After reminiscing with my brother last night I thought it might be fun to see what is out there I'd enjoy. The preponderance of RPG's and shit like Doom is what drove me away. More succinctly it was too much Mario Kart (Like everywhere I went and Mario Kart is pretty far up there in my estimation). Ok, also the racing games turning into nosebleed real sims or GTA.

Just wondering if there is something more fun than the casual genre on a computer or if I missed some good console games while I wasn't paying attention? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I'm assuming that you're either my age or close to it, I don't game heavy personally but what you like to game matters. As someone who grew up with similar console types as you I like games like metro 2033, or metro last light. It's a bit of survival a bit of FPS it's fast-paced but also has difficulty settings that cause a more conservative play style to be needed. Obviously there's games like GTA five which are undeniably entertaining but personally I only like single player for the most part Or lan.

What is your preferred game style or type? i.e. FPS, MMO, RPG, action etc.? I did read your post but I'm kind of having difficulty disseminating what it is you want

rtwjunkie, nomdeplume and cadaveca say thanks.
  3. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    If you like some of those old games and systems like PS2 for example. You can get into emulation. PCSX2 etc..

nomdeplume and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  4. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Emulators is a good point those are always fun. I also recall some website that did like all of the Nintendo entertainment system games it was something like nescafé or something to that effect

5. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    Get Ori and the Blind Forrest off steam for cheap and play it through. It's not super challenging, and the story is so amazing!!!

nomdeplume says thanks.
  6. nomdeplume

nomdeplume

Thanks Received:
    I guess I've dabbled in all of those and just chose the best games. After doing a little research after I posted this I'm if anything more confused. People play just one game nowadays and get really really into it. This looks like it is going to need more thought than I'm willing to give it while 'pregaming' this evening.

One question: Controllers used to be awful for computer games. Far from plug and play and who knew if they would work inside a game. Has that changed?

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Logitech seems to work for me, a Game like Nitronic Rush wants a XB360 Controller...

nomdeplume says thanks.
  8. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    I would say this is only a very few.

With the sheer number and types of games, I would say a great many gamers play and dabble in many different titles, and actually finishing less than 50%.

WhiteNoise and nomdeplume say thanks.
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Take a plunge into Paradox's grand strategy games and never look back.

Just try out games. Oftentimes there's a lack of demos, but if you buy a game you can try it and return it for a full refund if you didn't like it. On Steam.

nomdeplume says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. kajson

kajson

Thanks Received:
    If you get a wireless 360 controller, steam tells you of each game if there's partial or full or no support, but the no support games are mostly not meant to be played with a controller, then there's also the steam controller they sell on steam, which is more versatile but has a learning curve to it.

If you do not want to buy a graphics card you are very limited with your options, super nintendo emulation seems like a solid bet or n64.

Just a heads up steam has a couple of big sales on games, and this one ends in about 24 hours I think, so now would be the time.

(next suggestions require a graphic card)
    If you want a simple (easy to learn hard to master ) cheap game you can play online against others (with your brother) with fast paced action, I can recommend Rocket League, which is a car driven soccer game, won a lot of awards last year.
    Steam provides the whole multiplayer environment and social chat with your brother

Burn out Paradise is also a fun arcade racer which is focussed on take downs. aka ramming others of the road. (requires one of the earlier mentioned controllers)

Borderlands is also something you can coop and get into, good fun really.

( last 2 are also console games)

Dirt Rally is brilliant
    Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY
    Fallout 3 / New Vegas

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    nomdeplume says thanks.
  11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    My suggestion is to look into the free-to-play games for ones you like, and invest money into those games. For me, my current favorite game is World of Warships.

As for controllers, for a joystick/throttle combo that I've found to work quite decently, my suggestion is the Saitek X series. I've had ALOT of them over the past 20 or so years. I averaged 3 years of heavy use from each one. Haven't tried the new X-56, but from my experience with the X35, X45, and X52, I would have no issue with buying a X56

nomdeplume says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Every Xbox controller I've ever purchased whether it be mad catz or Microsoft have always worked perfectly fine(plug n play).certain games may not work well with the controller but I've only run into one or two. ¥Windows 10 – windows 7¥

It occurs to me that you may find something I used to do equally useful for yourself. When I used to be interested in finding a new game to Play , or if I was just curious about what was around , Id go to a YouTube channel that does lots of let's plays and just see what results id get .watch a few of the videos & you might be surprised and think "hey I want to try that". Personally I recommend one without commentary. Mkiceandfire

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    nomdeplume and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  13. Beastie

Beastie

Thanks Received:
    The wired xbox360 controller works great with PCs running W7, should be compatible with any game that needs a game controller.

nomdeplume says thanks.
  14. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Most certainly give a try to game named INSIDE. It has very simple controls, but it's beautiful with intriguing puzzles and the best checkpoint save system I've ever seen in any game. You can die, but because the saving is so clever, it's not annoying to a degree of repeating huge segment of a game over and over again.

If you'll like this game, also give a try at their older game named LIMBO. Same principle with similar puzzles, but doesn't look as nice. It's still very interesting though.

WhiteNoise, nomdeplume and rtwjunkie say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. nomdeplume

nomdeplume

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the help. Going to borrow a Wii for a couple weeks to get my hand back in. Meanwhile investigating how deep I want to follow this rabbit hole. Graphics wise I expected better from PS4 so a steam account looks to be in my future.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  16. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Ok. Yes. Fallout 3 (and 4) is ... essentially mediocre Fallout fanfiction, written by a drooling Todd Howard randomly shouting "awsum" and "immershun", while New Vegas is more or less real.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Remember the Wii is very non-representivie of other consoles.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. 64K

Thanks Received:
    Here's how I rank Fallout

Fallout 2 (one of the most addictive RPGs that I've ever played)
    Fallout 1
    Fallout New Vegas
    Fallout 3

Haven't played Fallout 4 yet though.

19. nomdeplume

nomdeplume

Thanks Received:
    "How To Discover Bad Inputs On Your TV: Wii Edition"

:banghead:

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  20. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    At least you have your sense of humor intact!

nomdeplume says thanks.
  21. nomdeplume

nomdeplume

Thanks Received:
    Yep, looks like a video card is in my future. After nearly two minutes of strenuous googling I was able to find the one title I'd ever played, Rochard. Steam tells me it won't run on Intel GMA. About to download the demo and confirm their fears about my system.

22. lorraine walsh

lorraine walsh

Thanks Received:
    Would you be up for survival horror games like the F.E.A.R series (the first two not the third)?

23. nomdeplume

nomdeplume

Thanks Received:
    No, I specifically mentioned a lack of interest in that type of activity. I'd more fully engage in work or marriage if the need struck me.

Rochard ended up working fine w/o a video card. Need to go get a wired controller and follow up on some of the suggestions in here.

24. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Yeah just get steam, buy a video card and there are a ton of indie games I'm sure you will enjoy after reading what you like. My first game system was an Atari 2600 at release. So I'm feeling you on the getting old part. Games have evolved for the better IMO but there are plenty of old classics and new Indie games that take you back but in a updated good way.

nomdeplume says thanks.
  25. nomdeplume

nomdeplume

Thanks Received:
    I could see enjoying some of the balls out games with good graphics like Mirrors Edge.
    I could not see myself enjoying trying to actually play some of the balls out games with good graphics like Mirrors Edge.

Not sure about indie games for the sake of retro feels. Just want something fun to play without a month long learning curve requiring playing two keyboards at once. Contra was great because of the atmosphere not the killing or gripping story line. Mario Kart was great for its lack of violence or story line despite having both in spades. Metal Gear was great because it evolved into avoiding ultra violent behavior in a game revolving around it on an unthinkable scale.