• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noob help - GPU cooling advice

JamesBay

my mining rigs gpu fans run at less than 50% the gpu temps are less than 60C.. my gpu power is set to a max of %80.. my (open air) rig has (including the gpu and psu fans) 23 fans in all running.. its cool and its also near inaudible..

i have given advice but you sure aint listening to it.. maybe giving up is the best idea.. :)

trog

See. That is the exact help I was looking for. I have not done any tweaks to power consumption's. I have the Afterburner program. But only adjusted when the fan speed goes to 100%. I am trying to take all the advice which is why I am getting these fans. But, the 2nd step is to adjust levels with software. If afterburner is the software I need to use to tweak things on the cards, then I will need to do research on what nobs to pull. Thanks again for your input.

I don't want to sound like an ass, but you should find out how to bail out now. $3000 is going to be tough to make back in this market. You shouldn't have these problems. No extra cooling should be required. I have 5 580s in my rig and my temps don't go beyond 72C.

A quick glance through the thread and I didn't see it but did you downclock the cores to the 1200 range? Did you undervolt them by 80 to 100mv or so? Did you lower the power level to 75% or so?

Correct. I don't know how to do that yet. I am completely new to this and obviously need to make some changes to continue to get this going safely. Need to do more research on how to adjust those nobs.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i dont use afterburner i know most folks do.. i use the palit one.. its got a daft name (thunder master) but it works well.. i mine eth using nvidia 1070 cards.. i have the core speed at stock but plus 600 on the memory.. my max power setting is 80%.. for 8 cards this dropped the power pulled from the wall from 1200 watts to 1000 watts without lowering the hash rate..

my fan curve is set to come on at 40C and max at 70C but the fans never get anywhere nearing maxing out..

trpg

JamesBay

my mining rigs gpu fans run at less than 50% the gpu temps are less than 60C.. my gpu power is set to a max of %80.. my (open air) rig has (including the gpu and psu fans) 23 fans in all running.. its cool and its also near inaudible..

i have given advice but you sure aint listening to it.. maybe giving up is the best idea.. :)

trog

Trog - can you please let me know what software you are using to set the max GPU power? I tried to find the option in afterburner and not able to. To be honest, I am a complete noob on this. I have been through hours of youtube videos and online research and a lot of this isn't clear still.

Thank you again all for your help.

To close this thread, I will update on what I have done based on your help.

I swapped out the cheap fans for Delta fans: https://www.amazon.com/PartsCollection-AFB1212SHE-151-CFM-Pass-Thru-Adapter/dp/B00J43XNNA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526407936&sr=1-3&keywords=delta+120mm+fan+with+molex&dpID=41dcXzMI7qL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have the fans pointing in the right directions and everything is hooked back up. Another one of my XFX cards was dead when putting it back in the chassis, so I am waiting on Amazon to deliver another. Running 5 XFX RX580 8G cards right now.

Turned on the rig and put the cover on. GOOD LORD THESE FANS ARE LOUD! The rig sounds like two vacuum cleaners running at the same time! But, after running nicehash for 15 minutes, the GPU temps are 60C to 70C each. In afterburner, I lowered the fan speeds to max 70% at over 75C. But, everything is running fairly cool.

If I were to keep this and piss off the wife, I need to figure out a way to lower the GPU power and look at the power consumption on the MB and fans. I have two 750W PSU's with half of the GPU's and fans on each. Then, 1 PSU added the MB and SDD. I am monitoring the GPU loads and temp's with some software I downloaded. In this, it is telling me I am running at 150W per GPU card and VDDC at 100W. I am not sure if I add those two numbers together or not. Regardless, if I add up the 450W and whatever the MB and fans are, I think this is too much for two 750W PSU's. I read somewhere I need to be at 50% or under on the Watt's per PSU.

So, either I need to figure out how to tweak some of these power points so I can feel safe running this rig 24/7 or I am going to sell everything and stop this endeavor. I have spent $3700 on this and Nicehash is showing I will only make $5 a day. My payback won't be for 3 years....and that doesn't even include the electricity.

I am going to play around with this some more on the power settings. Maybe I can mine with some other currency and it would give me better results. $5 a day is not worth all this hassle....

Here is what I have right now:

IMG_20180519_111350.jpg

Last edited:
System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Downvolt the cards. Just set the power limit in afterburner at 60 or 70 percent, that's the sweet sport for efficiency for most GPUs.

3700 for this ? How much did the cards cost ? Can you get your money back or are you past refund ? Asking cause six of those would cost you under 3000, earn you more bitcoin points or whatever the devil it is you people collect and draw less power.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3RBJLW/?tag=pcpapi-20

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesBay

Downvolt the cards. Just set the power limit in afterburner at 60 or 70 percent, that's the sweet sport for efficiency for most GPUs.

3700 for this ? How much did the cards cost ? Can you get your money back or are you past refund ? Asking cause six of those would cost you under 3000, earn you more bitcoin points or whatever the devil it is you people collect and draw less power.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3RBJLW/?tag=pcpapi-20

The RX580's are about $400 each. So, that was $2400. Chassis was $250. Fans $25 each x 6. Two 750W PSU's. SSD. MB, DDR4 RAM, Risers, Chipset. So, everything combined was $3700. I was not skimping on my first build. I see on youtube others doing everything for $2000.

On afterburner, I need to go through the instructions. I could not find the power limit area under settings.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
I think you need to switch the interface/skin to get the power setting.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Trog - can you please let me know what software you are using to set the max GPU power? I tried to find the option in afterburner and not able to. To be honest, I am a complete noob on this. I have been through hours of youtube videos and online research and a lot of this isn't clear still.

I swapped out the cheap fans for Delta fans: https://www.amazon.com/PartsCollection-AFB1212SHE-151-CFM-Pass-Thru-Adapter/dp/B00J43XNNA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526407936&sr=1-3&keywords=delta+120mm+fan+with+molex&dpID=41dcXzMI7qL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have the fans pointing in the right directions and everything is hooked back up. Another one of my XFX cards was dead when putting it back in the chassis, so I am waiting on Amazon to deliver another. Running 5 XFX RX580 8G cards right now.

Turned on the rig and put the cover on. GOOD LORD THESE FANS ARE LOUD! The rig sounds like two vacuum cleaners running at the same time! But, after running nicehash for 15 minutes, the GPU temps are 60C to 70C each. In afterburner, I lowered the fan speeds to max 70% at over 75C. But, everything is running fairly cool.

If I were to keep this and piss off the wife, I need to figure out a way to lower the GPU power and look at the power consumption on the MB and fans. I have two 750W PSU's with half of the GPU's and fans on each. Then, 1 PSU added the MB and SDD. I am monitoring the GPU loads and temp's with some software I downloaded. In this, it is telling me I am running at 150W per GPU card and VDDC at 100W. I am not sure if I add those two numbers together or not. Regardless, if I add up the 450W and whatever the MB and fans are, I think this is too much for two 750W PSU's. I read somewhere I need to be at 50% or under on the Watt's per PSU.

So, either I need to figure out how to tweak some of these power points so I can feel safe running this rig 24/7 or I am going to sell everything and stop this endeavor. I have spent $3700 on this and Nicehash is showing I will only make $5 a day. My payback won't be for 3 years....and that doesn't even include the electricity.

I am going to play around with this some more on the power settings. Maybe I can mine with some other currency and it would give me better results. $5 a day is not worth all this hassle....

View attachment 101286

my desktop machine using thundermaster software.. its a normal mid tower case with pair of 1070 cards.. the dedicated mining rig runs cooller and with less fan speed..

i am not familiar with amd cards so cant help much with that.. i run ten cards in all eight in the mining rig and two in my daily use machine..

trog

You can check for errors with Ati Tray Tools. It has the best overclocker's monitoring I've used so far. It is a *bleep* to install, though. Need to approve the installation of unsigned drivers(F8-boot). After that you will need Stilt's strap-aligned memory bioses installed on all cards. Then, you need Radeon software to set the bios' "Powertune" power level. Afaik, at stock, 80%(-20%) is good and what is even better - if you have set the near threshold undervolting via ATT - 110%(+10%) is reason enough to meddle with just another setting. I suggest you make reservations for Powertune only after the cards are stable below 70 Celcius for the cards won't keep steady when hot.

JamesBay

I got my 6th card in today and will add that to the rig. I will then look at switching out the afterburner skin to so that I can find where to change the power settings. This is crucial for me now because even on 5 cards without making any power changes, after running nicehash for just 5 minutes, my whole rig shut down. I think there are safety switches in the PSU's that just turn everything off when the power being used is greater than each PSU can handle. But, at least I got the GPU temperatures in line with these big ass, jet turbo engine sounding fans...

It is not the psu shutting down, it is the gpus telling the motherboard to shut down. I advise taking notice. I lost a 6950 for not abiding caution.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Judging by the screw holes, it looks like that case can fit 8 gpus, you could potentially switch to mounting with one screw and spreading them out a bit to get more separation. However, undervolting and underclocking will help you out a lot as well.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
i run nvidia 1070 cards because they use (relatively speaking very little power and run cool..

i have no problems at all cooling my 8 x 1070 rig and with low fan speeds..

the amd cards do draw more power and because of this need more cooling.. but i am beginning to think the ops cards are simply sat too close this is starving them of the ambient air supply they need to function properly.... the two cards in my desktop rig are only half an inch apart but that with 1070 cards seems plenty enough..

my earlier pair of 980TI cards in the same set up drawing more power struggled a bit.. which is why i (to 24/7 mine with) swapped the pair of 980TI cards for a pair of 1070 cards..

the bottom line is.. if the card fans are not able to do a good job.. monster fans (read noisy) elsewhere are not going to help..

the other bottom line is.. at current crypto prices none of this is economical viable any more.. i am still mining because the gear i have is all paid for and working fine.. i would not pump more money into it.. in fact even at bottom line prices stripped down my mining rig would fetch about £2000 on ebay.. its gonna take a long time for me to mine that amount.. maybe never..

trog

ps.. if crypto prices take a big jump upwards this could all change.. i happen to think they will but this could just be wishful thinking on my part.. he he..

Last edited:
System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10

View attachment 101286
you have your fans in wrong direction
those at the side of the mb should feed fresh air in the box (now they are pushing air out of the box).
those on the psu side has to push air out of the box. cant see em well on this photo but they have to be placed in the way that lable of the fans are facing fan grids.

Also, open-grill cases cause more turbulence and hence impedance. Therefore, it is better to seal passive ventilation holes and switch to 'laminar' flow as may be permitting.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
the amd cards do draw more power and because of this need more cooling

I have to disagree on this a little bit. My cards run 28-31mh/s and are using between 120 to 130 watts of juice a piece. I would surmise that is basically equivalent to your 1070s

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
YEah need to optimize the power profiles for the cards. somewhere between 60-80% depending on the temps your looking for. GPU temps under 85c = perfectly fine. VRM temps are more important anyway. Lower VRM temps = less power drawn = higher efficiency which you can gain from limiting the power draw.

Can't tell for sure from the pic but if you can just space the cards out and use some riser cards. This will improve the cards access to fresh air and improve cooling as well since they are not sucking heat air off the other GPUs.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't know if it's a viable option for you, but I'm gonna share this because I've used a similar resolution to cool a computer in a hot room in the past.

Even the smallest air-conditioner (<$100) ,providing good 60°F or lower air is a huge help with ambient air cooled GPUs. If you were able to throw in a window mount, or even a stand-alone air conditioner ,you can then go to a hardware store or Home Depot, and purchase dryer vent duct tubing for five dollars ,some tape, and a vent hood possibly, you can almost direct port A/C cool air ,from an air conditioner right to the intake area of your gpu's. I've done this in the past with a buddy & it worked really well. I didnt think it would be a viable solution before we did it, but it cost less than $100 all said n done, and aside from the added cost of running an A/C (im guessing this isnt an issue as your running a large number of GPU's) the cost to benefit ratio was definitely in favor of the solution being viable , atleast in this experience.

something like this, which ran to a "hood" we fashioned, that allowed the case fans to draw fresh A/C cooled air from the vent tubing right into the GPU shrouds. Dropped 10c+

Don't do this. Long term, you'll end up having condensation inside the case.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
I have to disagree on this a little bit. My cards run 28-31mh/s and are using between 120 to 130 watts of juice a piece. I would surmise that is basically equivalent to your 1070s

sounds about the same.. my 8 card 1070 rig pulls just under 1K from the wall.. my comment was based on what i read in general but what i read often isnt right.. he he

but that just backs up my comment about the entire problem being caused by a bunch of cards all being packed in too close together..

trog

JamesBay

I don't want to sound like an ass, but you should find out how to bail out now. $3000 is going to be tough to make back in this market. You shouldn't have these problems. No extra cooling should be required. I have 5 580s in my rig and my temps don't go beyond 72C.

A quick glance through the thread and I didn't see it but did you downclock the cores to the 1200 range? Did you undervolt them by 80 to 100mv or so? Did you lower the power level to 75% or so?

You hit the nail on the head. I have tried several times to use afterburner and adjust things. The GPU's are still going at 100% power and the motherboard shuts everything down within 10 minutes of hashing. I just can't figure this shit out! The upside is the fans keep everything cool - but loud as shit!

I just put the whole thing on Craigslist. I think I spent about $3700 on everything. I put it up for sale for $2500. I hate using CL because of all the sketchy people. So, we will see. If nobody buys it, I may donate it to charity and get a full write off....

I am an idiot for thinking I could do this. Thanks to all for your time and input.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Don't do this. Long term, you'll end up having condensation inside the case.

Condensation is not caused by the AC unit. AC unit will take moisture out of the air. Its caused by change in temps hot moist meeting cold air. You have to maintain the temps and lower the humidity

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
It's a shame you're thinking of quitting. With two 1070s running for long enough, I'm planning on upgrading the rest of my rig using the bitcoin I've mined with them someday. I may have missed a few things, but, from my own experience, I have some questions.

1. What motherboard is it?
2. Are you plugging the cards directly into the board, or are you using risers?

Most boards aren't designed for this, but some are, some with such radical configurations like multiple 24-pin connectors and extra molex or even PCI-E connectors everywhere to help power the PCI-E slots. Which brings me to why I asked about risers. Any board can do big mining with the proper risers. Some risers not only allow you to expand a puny PCI-E 1x slot into a full x16 slot (it won't be true x16 electrically, but at least it will physically fit, and the cable length allows you to put the cards in weird non standard configurations like you see in these open air mining racks), but some are also powered, by molex or SATA power connectors or something. This is important because the PCI-E slots, at least in cheap boards, draw power from the few +12v leads in the 24 pin connector, and when you draw too much, bad things happen, check near the bottom of the page. Boards specifically designed for mining take this into consideration, and that's why there's additional 24 pin, pci-e or molex connectors everywhere. Or you can use the aforementioned powered risers in any board which will be powered by a separate molex or SATA connector or something, which means it won't be drawing a fuckton of power from somewhere it shouldn't be.

I'm still using that same board and power supply. The 24 pin connectors are still burned up, but I did ghetto repair the burnt up wires on my power supply. Since then I used afterburner to lower my power target to 80%, which hasn't hurt my hashrate (in fact it's a little better than stock because I also overclocked the memory), but it has lowered the total power draw by around 60w. The cards went from 150w to 120w. Just as an example, if you had 5 1070s instead of your cards (using the 1070s as a reference point because I know them well), if you lowered the power target to 80% like I did, you'd save 30w per card, a total savings of 150w. That's like having one less card running, but it wouldn't affect your hashrate much. That's good news for your power bill, the heat output of the rig, and the strain of running so much power through one rig. My shit hasn't burned up since I made that ghetto repair back in August of last year.

As for the payout, yeah, it's low right now. When I got into it I expected to be making $10/day off my two 1070s, but alas, together they're now making $2.50/day as I type this message, and the true value of that is ever sinking as BTC loses value. However, I've been in it long enough to know it rises and falls, and the ~.038BTC I have now may be worth about $280 today, but if we ever see a day where BTC hits $20k like it was in December, those same BTC are worth $760! This is not a second job, or a steady investment in a safe place such as a high yield savings account, or CDs. This was, for me, a step into a risky side-hustle to make a little extra money. Fortunately, it's saved my ass a few times already, and now I'm slowly building it up for a fun purchase when the time is right.

You spent a lot on this rig, and at present, it will take a long time to recoup your investment. But as those of us who've been in it a while know, this thing goes up and down, some days are better than others. For those with stored BTC, if BTC explodes we all have a little bit more. If Etherum explodes, everyone running DaggerHashimoto will be seeing higher payouts than we are now. It's a risky world full of unknowns and what ifs, but if you stay in it long enough, there's a fair chance you can come out on top.