1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NOOB in over his head

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by jerryflyguy, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

If have already re-flashed switch position #2 with backup of UEFI vbios image, [Try again] Use latest version of atiflash at a DOS prompt type [as mentioned in my earlier post #15]

nb: DDU dose not run under linux;
    [this is good example why new members have an option to fill in system specs so they get better advice]

atb

Law-II

psyko12, Ahhzz, FX-GMC and 1 other person say thanks.
  2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1

3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Pretty easy to create a bootable DOS USB stick along with all the files needed.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. jerryflyguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    certainly makes sense to me, granted there isn't some technical reason why it'd HAVE to be flashed into the first position..? I've no idea but the thought occurred that maybe it has to be sent into position 1 to do the job completely or some crazy thing... at this point.. I'm trying to assuming nothing :)

5. jerryflyguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sasqui, i've got the bootable Dos USB be stick [its how I got into this mess in the first place ;-) ] and now a copy of the original vBios so.. I think i'm set, just wanting to make sure that I put it into the correct side of the bios [switch position 2 is where I'll try first] and that i use the correct syntax to flash it in correctly.. trying to catch any "got-ya's" before the occur this time.. :)

6. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    The Stilt has modded some bios for mining....
    find your bios, if it's there, in this sheet . the DL links in the sheet are dead you have to DL the whole lot here.
    Good luck:D

Law-II and Sasqui say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Cool, and the link Frogger sent is rather impressive, I see several versions in there for your card.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  8. jerryflyguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Frogger, I looked through most of that thread and missed those links somehow.. appreciate it!

Sorry Law-II, I posted in enough forms about this I'd forgotten what I'd posted in which forums :-\

Law-II says thanks.
  9. Bansaku

Bansaku

Thanks Received:
    +1 on this. Although I have tinkered with software OC (lots), the only time I have ever flashed a BIOS is after the card stops working. There is no need to ever flash a BIOS for over clocking; Most software supplied with the GPU will allow you to essentially change voltage and clock speeds. Albeit there are a few cards that when flashed will actually turn it into a higher model by unlocking disabled cores; the 280X is not one of them.

10. jerryflyguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I'm back in the trenches and not making much headway. What I've done so far:

1-upgraded to the latest Atiflash [4.17]
    2-reflashed the originally saved bios that came off the card into the UEFI slot [same results, no boot in UEFI but will boot in Legacy but card won't 'run' properly for mining]
    3-Flashed in a new copy of the original bios [in the UEFI slot] same results, no boot in UEFI but will boot in Legacy.

I've looked at the list that Froggy posted and am wondering which one to try? As long as it's a 280x and it is for Elpdia w/ a EDW2032BBBG memory the bios 'should' work.. correct?

Is there any possible way that these new bios and cards are matched w/ some kind of identifier to stop people from messing w/ the bios?

The REALLY weird thing is that the card which was my #1 card.. is a Hynix.. out of the whole batch that I bought... one is odd [it happens I know]... but the weird part is that it was running well and so I copied the bios out of IT and flashed that bios into the other cards [which is what caused all my troubles.. if I'd just kept reflashing their original bios back into themselves, I'm sure I'da been ok]... but the weird thing is even that #1 card [0 slot] isn't running correctly.. won't boot in UEFI etc.. even though I didn't reflash ... I simply copied the bios off it.. just doesn't make sense to me?

If it comes to it as a option of last resort, is it possible to RMA these cards back to Sapphire and have them [I assume for a fee since they are now off warranty due to my 'messin'] reflash them?

11. jerryflyguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well after continuous beating of my head against the problem.. progress..

Basically I saved the legacy bios out of each card and reflashed that into the UEFI side and it booted.. I can't seem to get the UEFI bios back into the cards but.. it runs so.. that is progress.

I greatly appreciate all the help ...

12. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    Looks like your making progress...Can you zip your 0a.rom & 0b.rom and attach to your next post. So I can do a file compare with the 015.043.000.005 & 015.045.000.xxx bios
    DON'T try ....Sapphire 280x DualX Sapphire 280x Vaporx roms your Toxic has a different power design. You need a toxic rom that's been modded for Elpdia ram.

To get the to get the UEFI bios back into the cards.
    When you flash the roms not all of the bios is replaced some of the bits remain to screw the card. You might need to flash the rom 'empty' to get rid of the crap & start fresh. After I've had a look @ 0a.rom/0b.rom I'll PM you on how to do it.

Law-II says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  13. jerryflyguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Frogger... you'll have them in a couple hrs [I'm currently at work]...