• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Not all Devs are ok with shady key resellers like G2A

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
It's a load of crap that this tool would be 'expensive' to develop. It's also suspect how they are pushing the names of developers who don't want their games to be sold on their service—it's almost like they want blowback from players who don't understand the shadiness of their service and be encouraged to review bomb those developers," Cleveland wrote. "It's also terrible to put the impetus on developers to have to take action with G2A to get this proposal moving in the first place, while G2A profits off gray-market sales and credit card fraud.

https://www.pcgamer.com/subnautica-dev-to-g2a-you-now-owe-us-dollar300000/

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
I think it would be hard to find a dev that is ok with G2A in the first place. Apparently it is not uncommon for them to lose money from credit card chargebacks with G2A sales.

Can’t dev/publishers just ban their games from being sold in G2A in the first place?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I think it would be hard to find a dev that is ok with G2A in the first place. Apparently it is not uncommon for them to lose money from credit card chargebacks with G2A sales.

Can’t dev/publishers just ban their games from being sold in G2A in the first place?

Yes they can.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't really understand why a Developer/Publisher would sell keys so cheap to the resellers that the reseller can still make a profit selling the keys but I do remember a statement from Ubisoft around 3 months ago that they planned to stop selling keys altogether. From the article:

"The new process is called 'silent key activation' and activates games on platforms like Steam and Uplay automatically rather than giving out codes to retailers and customers. From now on, Ubisoft will only sell games through sites that use SKA."

"instead of giving a retailer a massive list of keys that could theoretically be pinched or resold, no keys actually pass hands."

"Genba (a digital keybank) CEO Matt Murphy told GamesIndustry.biz. "The game is then automatically activated in UPlay. Fanatical doesn't get a key, and neither does the player. They just log into UPlay and the game is there, as if they bought it from the UPlay Store."

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
^ Except Ubi is definitely not doing it for consumer's sake.

That being said I only buy games from legit sites, like Steam, GOG, GMG and local distributors. GMG often has good deals for new releases, say 30% off, yet somehow G2A and similar sites manage to counter their offer with something like "50% off". I've heard my share of stories about their shady practices and I refuse to support them, despite "great deals".

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Sorry but handing out keys can simply be done in a better way. Developers have all the tools, they are releasing the product.

Fact is that costs dev time and there isn't an industry best practice so you effectively see that only the big publishers have some sort of effective system in place. Most of it running through their own servers, too, and not some leaky Steam affair.

Its about time indie / smaller dev studios start collaborating if they want to secure their income streams. Its not impossible but they rather each choose to forge their own way, being independant and all. That's a choice. And it may bite them hard. Live and learn, but these Twitter complaints aren't the way to do it, that's for sure.

Now here's what's really happening with key sellers. They are an additional market and first and foremost contain 'sold keys', as in, the license was already paid for somewhere in the chain, albeit at some sort of low price. Its still sales volume devs are afraid to lose.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Is that a problem with G2A or credit cards?
I am honestly flabbergasted by how credit cards work. You have some numbers and you get money. No additional checks or anything. In 21st century, really?

In a previous bunch of stories on topic of devs vs G2A a dev said they eventually solved the problem with a purchasing service widget on their page to make the transactions.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
No, because there's no way of knowing the key was resold on the gray market.

Now here's what's really happening with key sellers. They are an additional market and first and foremost contain 'sold keys', as in, the license was already paid for somewhere in the chain, albeit at some sort of low price. Its still sales volume devs are afraid to lose.
Keys are not legally transferable. They are to be used only by the purchaser or whomever it was gifted to.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
No, because there's no way of knowing the key was resold on the gray market.

Keys are not legally transferable. They are to be used only by the purchaser or whomever it was gifted to.

Yep. But a legal barrier is not one many people care about, it so seems...

The big publishers understood that years ago as they noticed how music piracy worked out and they started doing DRM.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of DRM in games, but really, the indie devs need it more than anyone and would be best served with a single point of entry for all their game key redemptions, that way they have control, they can analyze the data and watch trends and sudden movements, and act upon it. Its not always having to swing the ban hammer, but information is power. They would be well served with some sort of blockchain that is active at any time a game gets transferred as part of a transaction. If they can trace back that the origin was fraudulent, they can even serve a red box whenever such a game key gets entered to redeem, or they can flag 'bad' keys even prior to purchase.

This would immediately solve the large bulk of service requests with an origin on keysites.

Last edited:
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I don't see why developers don't just hold all keys and not hand them out.
Then the developer markets deals/rights for specific sites to sell keys and flag them as verified sites.
Verified sites advertise games for sale.
Consumer pays verified site, verified site processes payment and once confirmation takes place that payment is good, verified site asks developer for key to be sent in and then key is sent directly to the consumer and/or automatically tied to their DRM account.

This would make sure that even a verified site would never holds any keys that aren't sold, so they would never have access to them. Once a key is paid for, a request goes to the developer to release a key that is only given to the consumer.

.....This just seems easy to rectify. Or am I thinking about it all wrong?

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Then the developer markets deals/rights for specific sites to sell keys and flag them as verified sites.
Consumer pays verified site, verified site processes payment and once confirmation takes place that payment is good, verified site asks developer for key to be sent in and then key is sent directly to the consumer and/or automatically tied to their DRM account.

This would make sure that even a verified site would never holds any keys that aren't sold, so they would never have access to them. Once a key is paid for, a request goes to the developer to release a key that is only given to the consumer.

Apparently outsourcing it to some sort of platform or sales point is still the way to go. You have to consider, I think, the limited reach of doing it all by yourself. People need to know about you and that is a problem. The next problem is having to actually facilitate transactions through your portal, and then serve the files from somewhere. There are a LOT of countries with a lot of rules and regulations in place as well. The current contraption is a mix of key sellers and a varied mass of distributors handling mostly Steam keys, some GOG keys (but those tend to be much more expensive), so really, the developer itself is not doing any of the distribution or sales.

That is why I'd advocate indie devs unite, create a fund and develop something they can manage together.

D

Deleted member 67555

Erhm errrrg errrff cough I don't give a fuck cough as long cough errrufff hcckkk sphew they work.

Listen... Every single part of capitalism exists to screw you over... You're not rich for a reason....duh

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.

There are three ways keys end up in the gray market:

1) Free keys the developer gave out to the press, streamers, at conferences, etc. It's part of their promotion blitz which they are increasingly discovering that a lot of these keys end up on the graymarket so they're doing much, much less of it.

2) Keys that were bought with stolen credit cards. The gray market is used to launder dirty money. Store gets charged back when the credit card company discovers the theft and the charge back fees (usually about $30) + charge are subtracted from the publisher's earnings for the period from the store. The thief gets away with a few dollars while the publisher gets stuck with a $30 bill on top of the lost sale.

3) Some people exploit free events (giveaways) or near free events (Humble Bundles). They buy up lots of keys with the express purpose of reselling them on the graymarket when the event is over. This is why there aren't many of these events anymore (except at Epic Games where there is no keys to be exchanged: Epic buys every game on behalf of the purchaser and its tied to the purchasers EGS account with no way to transfer it.

#1 and #3, publishers have control over; #2 they do not. #2 is the most harmful to the industry and the reason why they'd rather people pirate than support the gray market. If no one bought from the gray market then it would no longer exist as an instrument to launder money. Buying from the gray market is supporting criminals, not publishers/developers.