1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Notebook Questions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tom-Helge, May 27, 2008.

1. Tom-Helge

Tom-Helge

Thanks Received:
    Hello \☺.

I'm just looking at 4 different notebooks now that i'm intrested in so far. Not sure yet if i will buy one or when that will be.

But my questions is, what of those 4 notebooks here would you take when your after a small and light weight notebook?. I'm not after a gaming notebook, I just want a notebook that can do normal things like Photoshop'ing, playing movies, good with web browsing and all of those normal things.

And the laptop also have to look stylish and nice.

So the notebooks i have been looking at now is:

Sony VAIO VGN-TZ2500 Premium (CTO)

ASUS U1F

Dell XPS M1330 (CTO)

Apple MacBook Black (CTO)

I know the 2 first notebooks is not very powerfull, but when i want a small notebook then it have to be like that then.

So what would you take of those 4 notebooks?. You can also give me pros and cons on them to if you want.

And if you have other small notebooks that is good and looks really nice, then please link to them here if you want. And remember, 13.3 inch is the biggest notebook i will look at.

But i have another question to that i wonder on, you have this Sony VAIO VGN-TZ2500 Premium (the same as Sony VAIO VGN-TZ295N/XC) and then you also have another version that is called Sony VAIO VGN-TZ32VN/X. Is there any difference on them except for that the TZ32VN/X have Built-in 3G Mobile Broadband that TZ295N/XC doesn't have?

Ok that was all, and i hope you can answer my questions here:).

Last edited: May 27, 2008
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    With the ones uve menchined id myself personally would go for the dell xps one as for photoshoping 4 gig would give u plenty of scope along with a decent proccesor and for vista 4 gig is a definite sweet spot.

3. Tom-Helge

Tom-Helge

Thanks Received:
    I still believe 2 GB RAM is still enough, since the notebook is not meant to be played games on.

And 2 GB should also be enough for the type of works i'm doing in Adobe Photoshop. Even in Windows Vista.

I'm not thinking about running programs like Maya or 3ds Max or anything like that on the notebook.

It will only be used some simple programs on the notebook.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    If you want value for money, I'd go for the Dell XPS: they're great little machines. :)
    They actually HAVE graphics (you can't play WoW on a Mac, even if it does have OK graphics).
    Don't bother forking out $$$ for a flash drive, because the price isn't worth it. Yet.
    Also, definately buy the extended battery (9 cell, i think), because you'll get much more battery life.

5. Tom-Helge

Tom-Helge

Thanks Received:
    Luckily i don't play WoW:laugh:. I play a game called EVE Online, and it's supported on Windows, Mac and Linux:).

And for the SSD's, i think they are worth it lol, but that's just me. Just look here and you'll see what i mean.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Tom-Helge

Tom-Helge

Thanks Received:
    But if i then would go for either the Sony one or the ASUS one, what would you take?

And give me some reasons why you would take a notebook over the other one.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. das müffin mann

das müffin mann

Thanks Received:
    i would go with the xps myself while dell desktops are crap, their laptops are not so much

i fit was between the asus and sony i would choose asus in a sec, i own an asus lappy no probs what so ever love the thing, also one thing i've noticed about sony laptops is that they seem pretty flimsy(could just be me), so if your looking for a lightweight media laptop i would take the xps, then the asus in second

edit: if you do go for the asus spend the extra money and throw another gig of ram in there, also throw xp or lunix on it, save some resources that would be needed else where (it also appears to have a blu-ray player, thats neat)

also as others have said spring for a 9cell battery if you can, trust me it helps

i would definitely go for the xps though much better specs for the price, and pretty portable to boot

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  8. Tom-Helge

Tom-Helge

Thanks Received:
    Well if i'm going for a 13.3 inch notebook, it will absolutely be the Dell XPS M1330.

But for 11.1 inch notebooks, i'm not sure yet on what it will be.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Go for the Dell XPS one im sure ya wont be dissapointed :toast: