1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Notice a difference in these switches?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by satindemon4u, Oct 2, 2011.

1. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    I am wondering, will I notice any difference in performance if I was to upgrade to the switch below?

First one, the one that I CURRENTLY have...
    NETGEAR FS605 Desktop Switch 5 x 10/100Mbps RJ45 1...

Second, the one I am comparing to...
    NETGEAR FS105 Desktop Switch 10/100Mbps 5 x RJ45 1...

To possible top them all?...
    TRENDnet TEG-S80G Switch 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet 1...

Something tells me that I wont simply for the fact that I would only be replacing a switch, with a switch. Figured I would ask though. :)

2. PHaS3

PHaS3

Thanks Received:
    Trendnet make good quality switches, and the other 2 you are comparing are only 100mbps... there is no real reason to purchase a 100mbps switch anymore.

Go with the Trendnet. You will see the difference if you copy large files etc.

3. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    "Upgrading" between those switches would give you pretty minimal differences. There's a good chance that the Netgear you currently have and the one you linked are the exact same hardware on the inside.

The Trendnet switch is 1Gbps, which if you have gigabit ethernet on all the computers attached to it, and the cables connecting them are up to snuff (Cat5e or better) then you'd have an (UP TO) 10X boost in computer-to-computer transfer speed within your LAN. To the internet, no difference.

The trendnet also has 3 more ports on it to connect your computers/devices to. I actually own two of those TEG-S80 series switches. No complaints whatsoever, they're good hardware.

4. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! Just noticed where I posted this to also.

WTF was I thinking

5. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    lol. I just noticed that now that you pointed it out :laugh:

Perhaps you were looking for a switch to connect your HTPC, Net-enabled receiver, and Xbox/PS3 to... Yeah, lets go with that. ;)

6. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU