• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVCleanInstall knocks out Oculus?

MrDamage-42

Hello.
Anyone else having trouble getting their Oculus headset to work after using NVCleanInstall? The headset (Rift S) was recognised and fully working as far as the games were concerned, but I got a completely black screen.

I reinstalled the original Nvidia driver and it fixed the problem. I later used NVCleanInstall again and it gave me problems untill I selected "Full install" and then later just unchecked the "Telemetry and Advertising" option, which is now working perfectly.

Anyone know which options to enable/disable?

Thanks.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
First time I hear of this. Is the Oculus connected to your graphic card's USB-C? in that case you'll probably need the USB-C driver

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
First time I hear of this. Is the Oculus connected to your graphic card's USB-C? in that case you'll probably need the USB-C driver
The Oculus Rift S has two cables, one for graphics, the other for data (mostly sensors I assume).

The graphics cable is DisplayPort and connects directly to the GPU. The data cable has a USB-A connector and connects to one of the computer's USB-A ports (Oculus specifies a port with USB 3.0 speed).

There is no USB-C connection.

Only Turing cards had USB-C shaped VirtualLink ports; the VR industry did not adopt this standard which is why the port is gone in Ampere and RDNA2 cards. When I was using my Rift S with my 2070 SUPER FE, I never touched the VirtualLink port on the GPU.

I have never used NVCleanstall so I can't confirm whether or not the utility is at fault.

Last edited:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Hello.
Anyone else having trouble getting their Oculus headset to work after using NVCleanInstall? The headset (Rift S) was recognised and fully working as far as the games were concerned, but I got a completely black screen.

I reinstalled the original Nvidia driver and it fixed the problem. I later used NVCleanInstall again and it gave me problems untill I selected "Full install" and then later just unchecked the "Telemetry and Advertising" option, which is now working perfectly.

Anyone know which options to enable/disable?

Thanks.
Can you show us a screen shot of what you have select to install for when you get the error? I have never had any issues with my Rift S or Quest 2 after installing. I'm pretty sure you have to have "Microsoft Visual C 2017 Runtimes" and "HD Audio via HDMI" installed. I would test it out but my office pc has AMD.

MrDamage-42

Can you show us a screen shot of what you have select to install for when you get the error? I have never had any issues with my Rift S or Quest 2 after installing. I'm pretty sure you have to have "Microsoft Visual C 2017 Runtimes" and "HD Audio via HDMI" installed. I would test it out but my office pc has AMD.
Thanks for all the replies.

Hi Mindweaver. I selected the "recommended" setting -

NVCleanstall_OHL4y1H3pa.png

And as Valdes said, the Rift S uses the Mini DP and a USB3 port to connect. My only suggestion is that maybe that "NVContainer" has something to do with VR, or the "Virtual Host Controller" - but that's just guessing.

I re-ran the tool and selected "All", then at the next window I only deselected the Telemetry, and it's now working perfectly.

My laptop is an MSI GS73VR, with an Nvidia 1070MaxQ and (..sadly unswitchable) Optimus.

I mean, everything is under control now, I just thought it might help others if they found themselves in the same situation.

Regards.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Valdes said, the Rift S uses the Mini DP and a USB3 port to connect. My only suggestion is that maybe that "NVContainer" has something to do with VR, or the "Virtual Host Controller" - but that's just guessing.

I re-ran the tool and selected "All", then at the next window I only deselected the Telemetry, and it's now working perfectly.

Regards.
No problem! Welcome to TPU! The Rift S uses a regular DP and USB3 port are you saying you use a Mini DP port to your laptop? That shouldn't matter as long as the Mini-DP to DP works. I have a Rift S and Quest 2 with an RTX 2070 and when I use NVCleanstall I always select "Display Driver (required)", "HD Audio via HDMI", "Microsoft Visual C 2017 Runtimes", "Optimus", "USB-C Driver" and "FrameView SDK". I have never had an issue with those settings. Just for SNG can you try with just those settings? Also, if I had a RTX 3000 GPU I wouldn't install USB-C Drivers. I only install that driver because it's on the RTX 2000 series gpu. It's funny I've never used that port either.. lol

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
No problem! Welcome to TPU! The Rift S uses a regular DP and USB3 port are you saying you use a Mini DP port to your laptop? That shouldn't matter as long as the Mini-DP to DP works.
The Rift S includes a DisplayPort-to-mini-DP dongle in the box. Clearly OP is using this accessory to connect to their notebook PC.

I have a Rift S and Quest 2 with an RTX 2070 and when I use NVCleanstall I always select "Display Driver (required)", "HD Audio via HDMI", "Microsoft Visual C 2017 Runtimes", "Optimus", "USB-C Driver" and "FrameView SDK". I have never had an issue with those settings. Just for SNG can you try with just those settings? Also, if I had a RTX 3000 GPU I wouldn't install USB-C Drivers. I only install that driver because it's on the RTX 2000 series gpu. It's funny I've never used that port either.. lol
The Nvidia driver installer won't install the USB-C driver on the 3000-series cards since there's no USB-C port on Ampere discrete graphics cards.

I used the VirtualPort USB-C connector for a short time when my 2070 SUPER FE was connected to an LG monitor with a USB-C display input port. I stopped doing this because this particular connection downgraded the USB data connection to USB 2.0; I went back to separate DisplayPort and USB cables.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
The Rift S includes a DisplayPort-to-mini-DP dongle in the box. Clearly OP is using this accessory to connect to their notebook PC.

The Nvidia driver installer won't install the USB-C driver on the 3000-series cards since there's no USB-C port on Ampere discrete graphics cards.

I used the VirtualPort USB-C connector for a short time when my 2070 SUPER FE was connected to an LG monitor with a USB-C display input port. I stopped doing this because this particular connection downgraded the USB data connection to USB 2.0; I went back to separate DisplayPort and USB cables.
I don't understand what you are trying to tell me other than repeating what I've said. Also, pay attention to where I said I own a Rift S and a Quest 2. Also, I do not own a RTX 3000 gpu so like I said I would not check the box to install the usb c driver. I didn't say it would install either way.

Case Apple proprietary
You exhibited surprise that OP was connecting their Rift S via mini-DP. That led me to believe that you didn't fully understand the basic connection possibilities of the Rift S since the thing comes with the dongle.

My main contribution here is that *NOT* using NVCleanstall preserves the Oculus software for use with a 2070/3080/3080 Ti discrete card. I'm not into identifying creative ways of destroying software stability.

Anyhow, I bow out of further discussion on this topic. OP has a VR configuration that works and I don't use NVCleanstall anyhow.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
Benchmark Scores Yes
You exhibited surprise that OP was connecting their Rift S via mini-DP. That led me to believe that you didn't fully understand the basic connection possibilities of the Rift S since the thing comes with the dongle.

My main contribution here is that *NOT* using NVCleanstall preserves the Oculus software for use with a 2070/3080/3080 Ti discrete card. I'm not into identifying creative ways of destroying software stability.

Anyhow, I bow out of further discussion on this topic. OP has a VR configuration that works and I don't use NVCleanstall anyhow.

Carry on.
Wow, you seem really upset over this.. lol Clearly you are not paying attention. I was only replying to where he said "Valdes said, the Rift S uses the Mini DP and a USB3 port to connect.". It's literally the first sentence that I quoted to him. You didn't even say that about the Rift S. You said DisplayPort.. lol I'll be honest I was heading out the office and I did not read the full thread. I just wanted to let him know what I use and using my selection works fine with my Rift S and Quest 2. I'm glad that you bow out of further discussion because I don't have the time for this back and forth.. lol

So don't carry on. ;)

EDIT: I would like to hear if using my selection works for OP.

Last edited: