• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVFlash B0rks my card. Every time.

forcedmeme

Hey guys,

I've got a GTX 750ti OC and I've been trying to flash various BIOS to it, this has led to some confusing results.

What happens is that upon successful flashing, I reboot as normal, and when I get back to windows I'm presented with the low-res desktop while the NVIDIA drivers work out whats happened. As soon as they work it out (the resolution shoots back up to native) then my screen goes black and there's nothing I can do to get it to come back.

All I can do is boot to safe mode and restore my backup ROM. Every damn time.

I've been using the latest version of nvflash for windows. I also tried the DOS version out of desperation, but the results were the same.

I'm confident that the flashing process is not the issue here. Nvflash doesn't give me any errors.

The BIOS I'm flashing should, in theory, not be a problem either. I sought out an earlier version of my stock BIOS and tried to flash that. Same result.

I'm really hoping someone here will have experienced something like this before. My searches aren't really turning up anything and I'm really not sure what I could be doing wrong.

Help!

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Best Bios for your Card is the one it came with !!!!
why are you trying to Flash it !!!

If it works with the original Vbios with no Problems again why are you Trying to flash a different Bios to Card

forcedmeme

Best Bios for your Card is the one it came with !!!!
why are you trying to Flash it !!!

If it works with the original Vbios with no Problems again why are you Trying to flash a different Bios to Card

Ok, your logic is flawless! The short answer is Hackintosh. The long answer involves this particular card and nvidia web drivers for OSX, basically everyone else that has one has had to flash it to get the HDMI to work. Only I don't seem to be able to have a working card after a flash...

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
If it ain't broke, don't fix it... flashing graphics adapter firmware is a dangerous game. It can be fun if you're modding clocks, voltage profiles, fan speed profiles...I haven't done that stuff since the GTX2xx era TBH. With applications like EVGA Precision and others like it, there's far less need IMHO.

I guess it depends on what you're after though...but sounds like the other ROMs are incorrect for your card if that is the end-result each time...I wouldn't screw around much more with it IMHO. Unless it's a junker you don't care if you brick...then GO FOR IT! :D

Edit: Your reply hit just before I hit post.

A friend of mine ran into an issue with a non-MAC 750Ti on a Mac, and had the same issue...he just learned to deal with the blank boot screen on his...it was a Mac Pro...old server-style tower iirc.

forcedmeme

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... flashing graphics adapter firmware is a dangerous game. It can be fun if you're modding clocks, voltage profiles, fan speed profiles...I haven't done that stuff since the GTX2xx era TBH. With applications like EVGA Precision and others like it, there's far less need IMHO.

I guess it depends on what you're after though...but sounds like the other ROMs are incorrect for your card if that is the end-result each time...I wouldn't screw around much more with it IMHO. Unless it's a junker you don't care if you brick...then GO FOR IT! :D

I thought the same, that the versions would just be incompatible. But other people have done it successfully. And also, I can't even downgrade to an earlier version of my stock ROM. Doesn't quite make sense.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It could be that the earlier version of the stock BIOS is for an earlier hardware version, which would then fail. Similarly, those other BIOSes aren't compatible with your card. Can't be anything else since you can flash back the original BIOS ok.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I thought the same, that the versions would just be incompatible. But other people have done it successfully. And also, I can't even downgrade to an earlier version of my stock ROM. Doesn't quite make sense.

So what files and commands are you using specifically?

Is this in the production Hackintosh system or another PC where you're flashing?

dorsetknob

have you Considered that these other people may have a slightly different revision of Card to you and the differences are Subtly different ie not well documented.
that alone could be the reason it worked for them and not you.
Again An Earlier Production ver of your Card may have Slight differences and that means the Earlier bios is not compatible with your later Card

forcedmeme

gh76
It could be that the earlier version of the stock BIOS is for an earlier hardware version, which would then fail. Similarly, those other BIOSes aren't compatible with your card. Can't be anything else since you can flash back the original BIOS ok.

Sure. That makes sense. But then how come other people are flashing BIOS from other variants of their card. For example, most of them seem to be flashing the Palit variant on their ASUS hardware.

forcedmeme

have you Considered that these other people may have a slightly different revision of Card to you and the differences are Subtly different ie not well documented.
that alone could be the reason it worked for them and not you.
Again An Earlier Production ver of your Card may have Slight differences and that means the Earlier bios is not compatible with your later Card

Good point. I need to look into that.

dorsetknob

gh76

Sure. That makes sense. But then how come other people are flashing BIOS from other variants of their card. For example, most of them seem to be flashing the Palit variant on their ASUS hardware.

Simple Answer

Reference Boards from Nvidia to Partners with custom Bios ( Same Reference Board would allow Cross Vendor Flashing to Same Board Revision of another Vendor )