• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia 295 Powers on but does not display sometimes.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
well i have a few things to say

If you have swapped in another card and it works fine, try putting your card in another machine and go thru the proper driver cleaning and install procedures to see if your card does the same thing, but make sure the PSU is up to spec though. If the card does the same exact thing on that machine but with a different power supply that is up to spec then the card could be faulty, but if it does not, try hooking your power supply up to that machine and if it does the same thing then the powersupply is at fault.

jaderaven

well i have a few things to say

If you have swapped in another card and it works fine, try putting your card in another machine and go thru the proper driver cleaning and install procedures to see if your card does the same thing, but make sure the PSU is up to spec though. If the card does the same exact thing on that machine but with a different power supply that is up to spec then the card could be faulty, but if it does not, try hooking your power supply up to that machine and if it does the same thing then the powersupply is at fault.

I'll give it a shot.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
another question, what else is in your computer?

System Name Always changing
Processor Always changing
Motherboard Always changing
Cooling Always changing
Memory Always changing
Video Card(s) Always changing
Storage Always changing
Display(s) Always changing
Case Always changing
Audio Device(s) Always changing
Power Supply Always changing
Mouse Always changing
Keyboard Always changing
another question, what else is in your computer?

Maybe if you would read the OP : Specs are as follows.

Asus P5n-d Motherboard
Intell Q9650
Nvidia 295
2X Western Digital 320gb 7200 rpm hard drives.(Raid 0)
6Gb Crucial Ballistix @ 1180mHz
5-5-5-12
Windows 7 build 7264 64 bit.
RocketFish 800 watt psu.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
You beg my pardon, there is still a few other things that draw power, such as optical drives, game controllers etc. and I did read the first post, hence why I asked what else is in the computer.

-Cheers-

jaderaven

I've tried to run my machine bare bones with just the gpu and mobo powered and nothing else. Same results. I know its not a power issue, Ive checked voltages and the voltages remain the same when it posts and when it doesn't. I have reason to believe that its an on board software problem (other people with the same card and same problems. I just need help flashing this thing. I have followed the directions on the previous post, but even when i run via command prompt It tells me it doesn't support 64 bit OS. Anyone know of a way to flash this thing on a 64 bit os?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I've tried to run my machine bare bones with just the gpu and mobo powered and nothing else. Same results. I know its not a power issue, Ive checked voltages and the voltages remain the same when it posts and when it doesn't. I have reason to believe that its an on board software problem (other people with the same card and same problems. I just need help flashing this thing. I have followed the directions on the previous post, but even when i run via command prompt It tells me it doesn't support 64 bit OS. Anyone know of a way to flash this thing on a 64 bit os?

only way your going to be able to do is is to run in a boot DOS environment, aka no Windows Loaded nothing.

http://www.loggan26.aquiss.com/Custom_Flash.html

get the above file and use that to get to a boot environment.

also voltages are one thing, You need amperage.

jaderaven

only way your going to be able to do is is to run in a boot DOS environment, aka no Windows Loaded nothing.

http://www.loggan26.aquiss.com/Custom_Flash.html

get the above file and use that to get to a boot environment.

also voltages are one thing, You need amperage.

A man with a multimeter knows this. I have tested and tested, and come to the conclusion that the PSU cannot be the problem. It has run since January on this PSU with no problems. Also I suppose there could be a physical problem with the card, but it seem much more likely to me that the problem lies in the software seeing as how it only refuses to boot after it has been restarted within a couple of hours. I'll report back tomorrow. I would rather not take the chance of not being able to use this machine tonight so ill boot into a dos environment tomorrow and flash this thing. I appreciate all of the help though.

KH0UJ

System Name Air Cooled Gaming / Shop PC
Processor AMD Athlon II X2 Regor 250
Motherboard Asus M4A78 plus
Cooling Air Cooled (Upward Airflow)
Memory Corsair Dominator PC-8500 2GB 1066 MHZ
Video Card(s) Palit GTS 250 E-Green
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160 GB
Display(s) Samsung EX2020 20 inch LED
Case Wooden Case Painted and Modified
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 8 Channel (Onboard)
Power Supply Orion HP 585D X2 Dual Modified PSU (585W+585W)
Software Windows XP SP3 / Windows 7 32 bit
A man with a multimeter knows this. I have tested and tested, and come to the conclusion that the PSU cannot be the problem. It has run since January on this PSU with no problems. Also I suppose there could be a physical problem with the card, but it seem much more likely to me that the problem lies in the software seeing as how it only refuses to boot after it has been restarted within a couple of hours. I'll report back tomorrow. I would rather not take the chance of not being able to use this machine tonight so ill boot into a dos environment tomorrow and flash this thing. I appreciate all of the help though.

Did the card display POST in the BIOS? cause I had the same issue before but different card
I think that`s geforce fx 5950, I had to push the restart button 4-5 times before it detects and display the BIOS POST :banghead:

Ived fixed the issue the hard way though cause its a 2 year old card, Ived resoldered everything using a hot air soldering station, I think the card itself has manufacturing fault the last time before the owner bought it, possibly a very thin area soldered by the manufacturer, the moment the owner stressed it, it maybe became loose, and had the same issue like yours, you can hear windows booting but no picture:wtf: but when you hit the restart 4-5 times it displays and works fine, confusing problem:wtf:

Last edited:

jaderaven

Did the card display POST in the BIOS? cause I had the same issue before but different card
I think that`s geforce fx 5950, I had to push the restart button 4-5 times before it detects and display the BIOS POST :banghead:

Ived fixed the issue the hard way though cause its a 2 year old card, Ived resoldered everything using a hot air soldering station, I think the card itself has manufacturing fault the last time before the owner bought it, possibly a very thin area soldered by the manufacturer, the moment the owner stressed it, it maybe became loose, and had the same issue like yours, you can hear windows booting but no picture:wtf: but when you hit the restart 4-5 times it displays and works fine, confusing problem:wtf:

On this one you can push the power button as many times as you like, but it only posts if you wait few hours between using it.

KH0UJ

System Name Air Cooled Gaming / Shop PC
Processor AMD Athlon II X2 Regor 250
Motherboard Asus M4A78 plus
Cooling Air Cooled (Upward Airflow)
Memory Corsair Dominator PC-8500 2GB 1066 MHZ
Video Card(s) Palit GTS 250 E-Green
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160 GB
Display(s) Samsung EX2020 20 inch LED
Case Wooden Case Painted and Modified
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 8 Channel (Onboard)
Power Supply Orion HP 585D X2 Dual Modified PSU (585W+585W)
Software Windows XP SP3 / Windows 7 32 bit
On this one you can push the power button as many times as you like, but it only posts if you wait few hours between using it.

I guess it sound like hardware fault to me:rolleyes: if you can RMA the card, that`s your best option, some chip foil paths maybe loose or something, it needs to discharge the circuit capacitors first before it powers up again, but that`s only my opinion bro and im not really accurate with it, only the manufacturer can bring that card to life on your case:)

jaderaven

I guess it sound like hardware fault to me:rolleyes: if you can RMA the card, that`s your best option, some chip foil paths maybe loose or something, it needs to discharge the circuit capacitors first before it powers up again, but that`s only my opinion bro and im not really accurate with it, only the manufacturer can bring that card to life on your case:)

I'm beginning to see it your way. Also xfx doesn't cAre that I took the cover off as long as it can be returned to original condition.

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I had the same issue with a first generation Gigabyte GTX295. It was never overclocked, it was never stress tested, no FaH, no intense games, nothing... The green light was on, the blue light off, power was ok. It seemed to work after a restart but after a little while it wouldn't POST at all. I had to send it to warranty, they gave me a second generation single PCB GTX295 that seems to work. It is also a lot quieter and the temperatures are a lot lower.

I think one or both of the chips that have the "substrate problem". Perhaps the NVIO chips could be affected. How knows. You need to RMA the card, explain the problem, they should be familiar with the symptoms.

SimSamurai

The motherload of odd PC problems

I wanted to chime in here to see if anyone might take a guess at this very weird glitch. A few months ago my PC had a hard time restarting one day..like it didn't even want to fire up at all. Once restarted I left it running for about a month straight while I backed-up all docs to an external drive.

One day the neighborhood power went out and she wouldn't restart. I figured the PSU died so I had it RMA'd... got brand new BFG 1000watt replacement...hooked it up... and same problem..--I hold power switch and CPU/VGA/PSU fans spin up for 1 second then dies.

Ok, I think video card issues. I pull all cards, I have 3 BFG 7900GTXoc 512's. I install 1 card in top PCI-e slot hit power and...same..dead..try same card in other 2 slots...same thing..all slots dead with card 1. I then try the other two cards in same fashion checking all three slots. --SAME..DEAD.. (So I tried all 3 cards in all 3 slots = 9 power tests..all dead)

I then try an old 5500pci card in the one PCI slot and wha-laaa she boots up first try.

Ok got my desktop back and finished backing up final data. A few days later..I shut it off and try to power up.. then same thing..fans spin for 1 second ...no dice. I try a "hot start" with a jumper on my mobo's power switch leads to rule out the off hand possibility of the physical power switch being bad but the jumper too does not cause a start. So...the case switch is obviously fine. The PC case is only a year old too and switch spring feels strong.

So... I think bad CPU? Bad Motherboard? Bad BIOS? Bad RAID?..maybe a bad Virus?
--- So after a week of head scratching I say F--K it, I switch the CPU to an IDENTICAL backup motherboard I had in storage along with same ram (4 x 1gb DDR2 667), and I also installed same HDD's in RAID 0, and new PSU. I put in one 7900 card in PCI-e slot 1 and wha-laa I'm up and running ...yeah! So a PCI-e card is now working in slot 1 of back-up motherboard. I think I'm good now right....NOT.

Just to rule out any virus issues I do a TOTAL reformat of the RAID 0 , scraped them clean, repartitioned, the works. I got the basics up and running, re-flashed main BIOS and backup BIOS to latest rev as well chipset drivers and latest video drivers (just as was old mobo) ran all MS updates and installed virus wear, and ran defrag. Everything appears normal.

So I have reinstalled about 30 base line / monitoring programs and have had it running for about 4 days straight with no issues whatsoever..She seems rock solid as ever.

Now...the finale.

I put in video card 2 in slot 2 again ---hit power.. SAME .. DEAD. fans spin 1 sec then die.

What now? I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit in my house for this PC only. I checked the plug and even cycled the house breaker to see if it had almost tripped or something but no luck. The PC is running fine with 1 video card (running two monitors) but as soon as two cards are installed it just won't start. The killer oddity is it did this exact same thing with the other original motherboard but then the issue also slowly migrated to the PCI channel not just the PCI-e slots. With this mobo it hasn't done that yet as I am still running PCI-e card 1 in slot 1 just fine. --I have not reloaded anything off the back-up drive either so as to rule out any possible virus issues from the last build.

So A: My CPU is obviously still working ok (I'm typing right now) My PSU is working great (I'm typing right now) and my video cards obviously work independently but not together anymore ??? Again with two cards it wont even start up... no POST ....nothing W--T--F? I'm wondering could this have been a windows update issue or something of that nature but even at that you' think I'd make it through the POST to the desktop right???

--So Could my video card BIOS be corrupted? Could a virus maybe have corrupted the video's BIOS too? It acts like something is shorting out whenever the power from multiple cards is pulled or needed. But again...what are the odds of it happening in two motherboards? So it seems video related to me? I don't see how the CPU or ram could cause this issue or could they?

Lastly, I don't use a back-up power supply / UPS but I'm now wondering if my power strip could be going out? (but everything else plugged into it works ok and it hasn't tripped its fuse!) Could it be that stupidly simple? I will hot plug to the wall tomorrow and pray!

Sorry for the long explanation folks but that's the long and short of it! I don't know what else to do short of getting out the shotgun and whiskey bottle. :eek::shadedshu:wtf:

RIGGINGS
Win XP Pro x64
Gigabyte Quad Royal BIOS F5
Pentium D 3.4 -stock V / Zalman Cooler
2 WD 7,200 SATA II RAID 0
OCZ 667 DDR2 / 4 x 1gb
BFG 1000watt PSU
3 BFG 7900GTXoc 512's

3 BENQ 20" WS LCD's
1 15" MAG LCD
1 InFocus In-72 projector