• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA and Atos Team Up to Build World's Fastest AI Supercomputer

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
NVIDIA today announced that the Italian inter-university consortium CINECA—one of the world's most important supercomputing centers—will use the company's accelerated computing platform to build the world's fastest AI supercomputer.

The new "Leonardo" system, built with Atos, is expected to deliver 10 exaflops of FP16 AI performance to enable advanced AI and HPC converged application use cases. Featuring nearly 14,000 NVIDIA Ampere architecture-based GPUs and NVIDIA Mellanox HDR 200 Gb/s InfiniBand networking, Leonardo will propel Italy as the global leader in AI and high performance computing research and innovation.

Leonardo is procured by EuroHPC, a collaboration between national governments and the European Union to develop a world-class supercomputing ecosystem and exascale supercomputing in Europe, and funded by the European Commission through the Italian Ministry of University and Research.

"The EuroHPC technology roadmap for exascale in Europe is opening doors for rapid growth and innovation in HPC and AI," said Marc Hamilton, vice president of solutions architecture and engineering at NVIDIA. "We're working with CINECA and Atos to accelerate scientific discovery across a broad range of application domains, providing a platform to usher in the era of exascale computing."

Modern scientific computing requires high-performance simulation, data analytics, AI and machine learning, and visualization. NVIDIA's computing platform accelerates all of these workloads while providing extremely high throughput and low power consumption, making it ideal for scientific computing. Examples of research using this approach include work in such areas as:

• Drug discovery: Using genomic analysis to identify promising proteins that can be targeted with a specific drug to fight COVID-19 and other diseases.
  • Space exploration and research: Harnessing the tools of multi-messenger astrophysics—which incorporates data from wide-ranging sources, such as electromagnetic waves, gravitational waves and neutrinos—to better understand the universe.
  • Weather modeling: Predicting extreme weather conditions with greater accuracy and speed.

The Leonardo supercomputer will help solve scientific challenges across many disciplines, from material sciences to high-energy physics to climate change. Scientists and researchers will be immediately productive on the new system as it will run all the same CUDA software as CINECA's existing NVIDIA-powered system, currently the fastest higher education research supercomputer in Europe.

"CINECA plays a critical part in evolving both the research and industrial community in accelerated HPC application development," said Sanzio Bassini, director of the HPC department at CINECA. "The Leonardo supercomputer is the result of our long-term commitment to pushing the boundaries of what a modern exascale supercomputer can be."

"The call for accessibility in HPC, and the expansion of AI in research and industries, have dramatically increased the requirements for more flexibility, and simplicity, in how the world's leading supercomputers are built," said Giuseppe di Franco, CEO of Italy at Atos. "As Europe's leading supercomputer maker, Atos has made a commitment to embracing these modern-day standards and is raising the bar in further democratizing the world of supercomputing."

Leonardo will be built from Atos' BullSequana XH2000 supercomputer nodes, each with four NVIDIA Tensor Core GPUs and a single Intel CPU. It will also use NVIDIA Mellanox HDR 200 Gb/s InfiniBand connectivity, with smart in-network computing acceleration engines that enable extremely low latency and high data throughput to provide the highest AI and HPC application performance and scalability.

NVIDIA Ampere architecture GPUs can accelerate over 1,800 HPC applications such as Quantum Espresso for material science, SPECFEM3D for geoscience and MILC for quantum physics by up to 70x, making previous big challenge simulations almost real-time tasks.

Learn more about CINECA's Leonardo system and three additional AI supercomputers powered by NVIDIA's accelerated computing platform recently announced by EuroHPC.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Go sLOVEnia, 240 a100 is enough :rockout:

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Intel huh? I guess it needs the fewer cores and slower pcie bandwidth

I like to play a little game call 'tech predictions':

What year will the first phone have a performance in excess of 1 exaflops? (internally, not cloud based)

System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
They are up to compete with Microsoft decision at making their West Europe data-center in Greece.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Really Greece? Where everyone goes because its so hot? That sounds like a good decision.

also power outages in very poor countries... Greece is very poor last I checked... but Maine is in USA and has a ton of power outages... so who knows.

System Name ATLAS
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Really Greece? Where everyone goes because its so hot? That sounds like a good decision.

Just sounds as good decision, the offering of new jobs this will be below 100.
When a company that makes yogurt , milk, cheese, this offer 400 or more jobs.

also power outages in very poor countries... Greece is very poor last I checked... but Maine is in USA and has a ton of power outages... so who knows.

Any infrastructure around the capital of any country this is by far better designed.
And technology has moved many steps ahead at minimizing consumption of electronics, with the consumption of my SONY 19" Trinitron (past decade), I can now power on, four TFT 23".

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just sounds as good decision, the offering of new jobs this will be below 100.
When a company that makes yogurt , milk, cheese, this offer 400 or more jobs.

Any infrastructure around the capital of any country this is by far better designed.
And technology has moved many steps ahead at minimizing consumption of electronics, with the consumption of my SONY 19" Trinitron (past decade), I can now power on, four TFT 23".

it wasn't meant as an insult, and that is good to hear it is stable there. my small town gets outages at least 2-3 a year and I apparently live in the richest country in the world :roll:

I know Microsoft is starting to put cloud servers under water... seems like a smart move, surprised they didn't try to expand on that with this.

System Name ATLAS
Display(s) DELL U2311H
it wasn't meant as an insult, and that is good to hear it is stable there. my small town gets outages at least 2-3 a year and I apparently live in the richest country in the world :roll:

I know Microsoft is starting to put cloud servers under water... seems like a smart move, surprised they didn't try to expand on that with this.

An hint for you, I am unable to get insulted about choices not correlated with my own actions.
The USA this is also a poor country, does not have any money to spend at buying 100 large airplanes so them to handle the wild fires.

System Name Odyssey
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 UNIFY
Cooling EKWB EK-MLC Phoenix 240
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT 8 GB
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TBx2
Display(s) LG 32GK850F-B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W Gold

so much bullshitting... first of all Greece is not very poor, but more importantly power outages is not a thing here unless there's unforeseen weather

Space Lynx

Astronaut
so much bullshitting... first of all Greece is not very poor, but more importantly power outages is not a thing here unless there's unforeseen weather

well I didn't mean to go off topic so we can drop it. I was only referring to what I know from the news, that EU had to bail out Greece from going bankrupt a few years ago and Brexit was a big reason why they did that or something, I don't know, I don't really follow it, just stuff I hear in news in passing. no big deal, no need to educate me either, I really don't care. it was just an off hand comment based on some news fragments. im bored of this topic now, back to ram overclocking i go, take care

System Name ATLAS
Display(s) DELL U2311H
so much bullshitting... first of all Greece is not very poor

It is for the best only us, to be aware of our potentials.
But I can not blame anyone that he is misinformed about Greece, when the industry of News this is a distorted mirror, working for the high bidder.
Greece has one of the most powerful army within Europe, we can defend our self's and the property of foreign investors.
End of story.

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Most powerful army. A, mistery solved, now we know where all EU money went when financial help was given.