• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces Android 11 Update for All Shield TV Devices

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
What seems to be one of the best supported products by NVIDIA, is getting yet another update in the shape of the Shield Software Experience Upgrade 9.0, which brings Android 11 to the NVIDIA Shield devices. The fact that Android 11 is only arriving around the same time Android 12 is landing on most phones is a different matter, but the OS isn't the only update you're getting if you own a Shield device. NVIDIA has added support for aptX, something that should please users of compatible headsets, as it's so far the most common higher-end Bluetooth audio solution, although LDAC was already supported.

NVIDIA has also updated its GeForce Now game streaming software and is pushing its new RTX 3080 to those of us that have been unlucky enough to not be able to get one at MSRP. There are also updates for the Apple TV and Google Play Movies and TV apps, where the latter gets Dolby Vision support. US owners of a Shield TV device are also getting six months of Peacock Premium for free, but a Google account is required to take advantage of this offer. There are several other minor updates and fixes as well, such as an option to automatically disconnect Bluetooth devices when the Shield TV is put to sleep and a new energy saver setting.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Hey, you know what would be nice?

A new shield TV, not using a 8 year old SOC or stuck with the same RAM as $90 budget phones.

Or a new shield handheld, we havent had one of those for nearly a decade now

Or a new tablet, as the android tablet market is a dysmal wasteland of choice.

The current hardware is just so....old.

A new shield TV, not using a 8 year old SOC or stuck with the same RAM as $90 budget phones.

For what? It's perfectly fine and supports all actual TV codecs, up to DV (almost no device in market support it), 4K, and so on. For what do you need a most powerful hardware or even more ram? Will be useless.

The tablet or the handheld are discontinued because was a failure in sales.

Shield TV it's a well supported device and all customers are very happy with all the new features over the years, we don need a brand new device every year like a phone... thank God.

System Name Ryzen 3 Build
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite b550
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Trio 10GB
Storage SSD (250GB) + SSD (500GB) + HDD (1TB)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold
Software Windows 10 64Bit

As long as the hardware works and still gets updates, I'm not complaining. My Shield upscales my content without a hitch and runs silenty even on high performance mode. The product still competes pretty well with other streaming devices.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
For what? It's perfectly fine and supports all actual TV codecs, up to DV (almost no device in market support it), 4K, and so on. For what do you need a most powerful hardware or even more ram? Will be useless.

Shield TV it's a well supported device and all customers are very happy with all the new features over the years, we don need a brand new device every year like a phone... thank God.
Well supported, 12 is out, it's supported is fair, Well is a stretch IMHO.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Perhaps some of us would like to use our gaming/streaming box for more then just TV? If all I wanted to do is stream there are any number of cheaper devices that do just as good of a job. For gaming, the X1 wasnt bad, but it IS 7 years old now. Technology has moved a long way.
They were a failure in sales due to obsolete hardware. And calling the shield tablet/K1 a "sales failure" is just...wrong. It actually sold very well, would have sold even better if nvidia wasnt using last gen technology and stupid slow eMMC storage that brought the device to its knees (and didnt have that whole battery fire issue). Maybe if its battery life had been anywhere near what the ipad offered it would have done better as well.
Shield TV it's a well supported device and all customers are very happy with all the new features over the years,
All customers? You have a source for that, or are you projecting again?
we don need a brand new device every year like a phone... thank God.
Nobody said every year. The shield TV is running on 7 year old hardware. Some of us would like something newer then 7 year old 20nm cortex arm A-57 cores and maxwell GPU cores. And why does a new model bother you so much? Nobody is forcing you to upgrade to the newest model just because it came out, you are mroe then welvcome to continue using the old model if it does what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok.......to fully counter this....
OG Shield TV used Tegra X1, released in Q2 2015 so not even 7 years old yet never mind 8.

Secondly, the 2019 shield TV's use the Tegra X1+, released in 2019.

Thirdly..........It's the same SoC as the nintendo switch. If it can run games well enough I'm sure it can handle streaming youtube or geforce now just fine. :)

I'd love a new Shield tablet, used mine for ages - the form factor was great and the mini-HDMI out was awesome when I had to go away with work - could just plug it into a hotel TV.
Now it's so painfully slow though, to the point of being unusable. Just opening a browser takes minutes every time.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Why? It's literally the same SoC that's powering Nintendo Switch, and it's not strictly speaking a gaming device (hence, "Shield TV", not "Shield Console"). Heck, there are even some modern STB/IPTV boxes that run fine on single-core SoC with gig or less of RAM. Plus, over the years pretty much all tegras have proven to be a benchmark of longevity. Even my old Nexus 7 2012 is still my mom's daily driver, after her new Galaxy Tab died just a few weeks past its warranty.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Ok.......to fully counter this....
OG Shield TV used Tegra X1, released in Q2 2015 so not even 7 years old yet never mind 8.

Secondly, the 2019 shield TV's use the Tegra X1+, released in 2019.

Thirdly..........It's the same SoC as the nintendo switch. If it can run games well enough I'm sure it can handle streaming youtube or geforce now just fine. :)

This. A smart TV replacement is not at all required to be updated yearly or bi-yearly. I say this is one of the few sensible products in tech, just doing what its supposed to do and if there is no market, Nvidia isn't pushing it either. Seems very sensible, instead of trying to push overinflated 'gaming on Android' that to this day is still complete and utter shit, as is any gaming on a smartphone beyond simple point and click.

The Shield gets an update when codec support or resolution increases warrant it. Honestly its what all devices should do, instead of updating every week for nonsensical crap and every year to sell you 5% more performant hardware at yet a higher price point than before. You already have a smartphone to do that for you, and guess what, you can connect an increasing number of them to use your TV as a desktop or smart TV regardless. So, I think @TheinsanegamerN is helped best by buying an HDMI>USB C cable, or just streaming netflix over home network.

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
I wish all Android devices had this level of support!
I wish Nvidia would stop predatory ad practices on their shield homescreens. People don't want or need obtrusive ads, it's a $!@# awful practice and it needs to stop. Charge a few bucks more if you have to or create an ad-free SKU, but Shield ads suck.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS

Agreed. The GPU is okay enough, but the CPU is just awful which really hurts the SHIELD for Emulation and even modern Android gaming.

There was a time where Nvidia was innovating in this space with the various SHIELD tablets & handhelds, they didn't sell well, but they still had promise. It'd be nice if we saw that again personally.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I genuinely keep thinking i should get a shield, since i'm heavily into the nvidia ecosystem and would use the in-house streaming (as well as the android TV features)

I just kinda want new hardware in one...

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I wish Nvidia would stop predatory ad practices on their shield homescreens. People don't want or need obtrusive ads, it's a $!@# awful practice and it needs to stop. Charge a few bucks more if you have to or create an ad-free SKU, but Shield ads suck.
Samsung is doing it in its TVs in some regions. I'm sure others do it too.
I mean, shit, out cable company inserts local ads over international programming, so it's not really a new thing.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I wish all Android devices had this level of support!
This ^^^
My "smart Tv" is getting old and it's stuck on Android 2.2 and won't update, It now won't connect online to any service. :(

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Just when my phone auto-upgraded to 12, chuckle.

I wish Nvidia would stop predatory ad practices on their shield homescreens.
While annoying, I would hardly call them "predatory". Root it and install an adblocker.

My "smart Tv" is getting old and it's stuck on Android 2.2 and won't update, It now won't connect online to any service. :(
This is why I avoid "Smart" TV's. Get yourself an Android TV box. They're inexpensive and they work well. Get a quality unit though. Or just get a shield. :toast:

Last edited:
Well supported, 12 is out, it's supported is fair, Well is a stretch IMHO.

Only one month ago (1st december), Google launched Android 12 for TV for developers, still in beta. Not even official Google TV devices has Android 12. Why do you need Android 12 on the TV box? I mean, this it's not a phone, we don't need the last system features because them are not even applicable to TV box. Stability from a supported version it's a lot more important.

Nobody said every year. The shield TV is running on 7 year old hardware. Some of us would like something newer then 7 year old 20nm cortex arm A-57 cores and maxwell GPU cores. And why does a new model bother you so much? Nobody is forcing you to upgrade to the newest model just because it came out, you are mroe then welvcome to continue using the old model if it does what you need.
When companies launch new hardware, they usually forget the old devices. For example, new Shield (2019) has exclusive features like the IA resolution upgrade from FHD and SD contents. We all know it, and launch a new device has to be supported with new features.

Shield TV can do 4K DV, can do 4K HDR gaming streaming, can emulate many platforms... what do you want to do with the device that a new powerful device can do and the actual can't? That's the key. If there's not a new device, if because Nvidia can't find features that justify a new device

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
If now they would only refresh the hardware to something less ancient.

Enjoy it, it's unlikely to see Android 13

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I genuinely keep thinking i should get a shield, since i'm heavily into the nvidia ecosystem and would use the in-house streaming
I wanted one for years and got the 2019 Pro in 2020, and I have 0 regrets. I also crave bleeding edge and would love this to be newer/higher specced, but it is excellent at what it does. In home streaming to my 4k60 TV over gigabit ethernet is nye on flawless, ~1ms latencey, ~2ms decode time, it feels so close to connecting the PC by HDMI honestly. Plus it looks cool.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Why not? (not that I'd care, but still wondering)
If you have to ask the question, then there is no help for you. Try Google, or anyone that has owned the same Android phone for more than a year.

If you have to ask the question, then there is no help for you. Try Google, or anyone that has owned the same Android phone for more than a year.
OK

My old phone launched with Android 8 and it got to Android 11 before EOL.

My current phone launched with Android 11, is currently Android 12 and I expect it to go EOL with Android 14.

Feels good :)

Even Samsung are supporting 2-3 versions of android per device now. Nokia have commitments with Android 1 for 2 years OS updates and 3 years security.

Just don't buy cheap phone brands and you're better off.