• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2021

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA today reported record revenue for the fourth quarter ended January 31, 2021, of $5.00 billion, up 61 percent from $3.11 billion a year earlier, and up 6 percent from $4.73 billion in the previous quarter. The company's Gaming and Data Center platforms achieved record revenue for the quarter and year.

GAAP earnings per diluted share for the quarter were a record $2.31, up 51 percent from $1.53 a year ago, and up 9 percent from $2.12 in the previous quarter. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share were $3.10, up 64 percent from $1.89 a year earlier, and up 7 percent from $2.91 in the previous quarter. For fiscal 2021, revenue was a record $16.68 billion, up 53 percent from $10.92 billion a year earlier. GAAP earnings per diluted share were a record $6.90, up 53 percent from $4.52 a year earlier. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share were $10.00, up 73 percent from $5.79 a year earlier.

"Q4 was another record quarter, capping a breakout year for NVIDIA's computing platforms," said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. "Our pioneering work in accelerated computing has led to gaming becoming the world's most popular entertainment, to supercomputing being democratized for all researchers, and to AI emerging as the most important force in technology.

"Demand for GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs is incredible. NVIDIA RTX has started a major upgrade cycle as gamers jump to raytracing, DLSS and AI.

"Our A100 universal AI data center GPUs are ramping strongly across cloud-service providers and vertical industries. Thousands of companies across the world are applying NVIDIA AI to create cloud-connected products with AI services that will transform the world's largest industries. We are seeing the smartphone moment for every industry.

"Mellanox has expanded our footprint across the data center. And we are making good progress toward acquiring Arm, which will create enormous new opportunities for the entire ecosystem," he said.

NVIDIA paid quarterly cash dividends of $99 million in the fourth quarter and $395 million in fiscal 2021. It will pay its next quarterly cash dividend of $0.16 per share on March 31, 2021, to all shareholders of record on March 10, 2021.

NVIDIA's outlook for the first quarter of fiscal 2022 is as follows:
  • Revenue is expected to be $5.30 billion, plus or minus 2 percent.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins are expected to be 63.8 percent and 66.0 percent, respectively, plus or minus 50 basis points.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $1.67 billion and $1.20 billion, respectively.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP other income and expense are both expected to be an expense of approximately $50 million.
  • GAAP and non-GAAP tax rates are both expected to be 10 percent, plus or minus 1 percent, excluding any discrete items. GAAP discrete items include excess tax benefits or deficiencies related to stock-based compensation, which are expected to generate variability on a quarter-by-quarter basis.
Highlights
NVIDIA achieved progress since its previous earnings announcement in these areas:
Data Center
  • Fourth-quarter revenue was a record $1.90 billion, slightly above the previous quarter and up 97 percent from a year earlier. Full-year revenue was a record $6.70 billion, up 124 percent.
  • Announced that the world's leading OEMs unveiled the first wave of NVIDIA-Certified Systems with NVIDIA A100 Tensor Core GPUs—the industry's only accelerated servers tested for machine learning and data analytics workloads.
  • Introduced support for Google Cloud's Anthos on bare metal for NVIDIA DGX A100 systems, enabling enterprises to create hybrid cloud infrastructure more easily.
  • Enhanced the NVIDIA Clara application framework for AI-powered healthcare and life sciences with the launch of Clara Discovery for computational drug discovery, providing dozens of pre-trained models, the MONAI open-source medical AI training framework, and federated learning for the industry to collaborate on building models without sharing data.
  • Collaborated with Amazon Web Services to bring the NVIDIA NGC software hub to AWS Marketplace.
Gaming
  • Fourth-quarter revenue was a record $2.50 billion, up 10 percent from the previous quarter and up 67 percent from a year earlier. Full-year revenue was a record $7.76 billion, up 41 percent.
  • Announced the company's biggest-ever laptop launch, with 70+ new laptops for gamers and creators, powered by NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series Laptop GPUs.
  • Expanded the GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs with 60-class offering —the most popular in the company's gaming lineup — including the GeForce RTX 3060, starting at just $329, featuring NVIDIA RTX raytracing, NVIDIA DLSS, NVIDIA Reflex and NVIDIA Broadcast.
  • Increased momentum for NVIDIA RTX adoption, now available in 36 new titles, including Minecraft, Fortnite and Cyberpunk 2077.
  • Announced that Overwatch and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege are adopting NVIDIA Reflex, bringing this low-latency technology to seven of the top 10 competitive-shooter games.
  • Announced GeForce NOW has come to iOS Safari, giving over 6 million GeForce NOW members access to the service through Safari on iPhone or iPad.
Professional Visualization
  • Fourth-quarter revenue was $307 million, up 30 percent from the previous quarter and down 7 percent from a year earlier. Full-year revenue was $1.05 billion, down 13 percent.
  • Announced that NVIDIA Omniverse—a real-time simulation and collaboration platform for 3D production pipelines—is now in open beta.
Automotive
  • Fourth-quarter revenue was $145 million, up 16 percent from the previous quarter and down 11 percent from a year earlier. Full-year revenue was $536 million, down 23 percent.
  • Announced that NVIDIA DRIVE autonomous driving technology is powering a range of next-gen electric vehicles from carmakers SAIC and Nio; robotaxi-maker Zoox; and cabless truck-maker Einride.
  • Announced that NVIDIA is powering the new Mercedes-Benz AI cockpit, featuring the MBUX Hyperscreen, which will debut in the all-electric Mercedes-Benz EQS in the first half of 2021.
  • Expanded the NVIDIA DRIVE sensor ecosystem with new solutions from lidar makers Baraja, Hesai, Innoviz, Magna and Ouster.
For more information, visit this page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

How can a company constantly get away with lying about income distribution and sources?
Not a single word related to Mining and Cryptocurrency?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Demand for GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs is incredible. NVIDIA RTX has started a major upgrade cycle as gamers jump to raytracing, DLSS and AI.

Our pioneering work in accelerated computing has led to gaming becoming the world's most popular entertainment

I nearly choked when reading this.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
65% gross margin.

Oh those "evil scalpers", chuckle.

Not really surprising, including "stating MSRP" which didn't even closely resemble reality (including board-partners who most likely payed more)

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Complete scumbags.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
"Demand for GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs is incredible. NVIDIA RTX has started a major upgrade cycle as gamers jump to raytracing, DLSS and AI." They missed part of this.

Correct would be: Demand for GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs is incredible. NVIDIA RTX has started a major upgrade cycle as gamers jump to raytracing, DLSS, AI and miners jump to Cryptocurrency mining.

Revenue from gamers is most likely somewhere around 5%, while the rest 95% of "gaming" market is of course miners.

Also, limiting the hash rate on gaming GPUs will increase their revenue even more. Just look at the specs. 320W mining card does less hashes than 320W gaming card. I bet they will be selling mining cards at higher msrp but spending less money as they don't need additional components required for delivering the Video AND miners need more cards to get same hash rate.

I'll stick to my 1080Ti FTW3 until ALL of this mess is gone. If it fails to go away, I'll just grab a PS5 after a couple of years and that'sallfolks.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
How can a company constantly get away with lying about income distribution and sources?
Not a single word related to Mining and Cryptocurrency?

Yeah it's pretty staggering, it's in their interest to not disclose the true source of their sales and because it's relatively difficult to prove that most of these GPU have gone to crypto they can get away with it. But it's not impossible, obfuscating information about where your revenue is going is illegal as you are misleading investors and a really nasty lawsuit can arise. That wouldn't be the first time but one can only hope.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Great results for the doomed Nvidians.

Revenue from gamers is most likely somewhere around 5%, while the rest 95% of "gaming" market is of course miners.

Also, limiting the hash rate on gaming GPUs will increase their revenue even more. Just look at the specs. 320W mining card does less hashes than 320W gaming card. I bet they will be selling mining cards at higher msrp but spending less money as they don't need additional components required for delivering the Video AND miners need more cards to get same hash rate.
You make it sound as if Ampere wasn't already popular and mostly out of stock before the mining boom.

Yeah it's pretty staggering, it's in their interest to not disclose the true source of their sales and because it's relatively difficult to prove that most of these GPU have gone to crypto they can get away with it. But it's not impossible, obfuscating information about where your revenue is going is illegal as you are misleading investors and a really nasty lawsuit can arise. That wouldn't be the first time but one can only hope.
It's also impossible for Nvidia to tell unless they have some kind of spyware that sends back what GPUs are doing. In fact it's mostly AIBs selling GPUs and not Nvidia. Zotac was even bragging about it. Nvidia just sells their chips to AIBs and they don't care where their chips end up. Officially they have no clue how many are used by miners and how many by gamers. They just know how many they've sold to AIBs.

Anyway Nvidia would've sold out even without mining so it doesn't really matter yet.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
You make it sound as if Ampere wasn't already popular and mostly out of stock before the mining boom.

They've been bought by miners since day one people just didn't want to believe it. There was evidence they were being bought by mining farms since last autumn but everyone kept saying that it was just FUD because allegedly some claimed that they weren't profitable which was BS, even Pascal cards are still profitable for mining.

And the same thing happened with 6000 series from AMD, almost all gone to miners.

It's also impossible for Nvidia to tell unless they have some kind of spyware that sends back what GPUs are doing. In fact it's mostly AIBs selling GPUs and not Nvidia. Zotac was even bragging about it. Nvidia just sells their chips to AIBs and they don't care where their chips end up. Officially they have no clue how many are used by miners and how many by gamers. They just know how many they've sold to AIBs.

It doesn't work like that, Nvidia specifically lists their revenue as coming from the "Gaming" segment, if you state that in your earnings reports you become liable in case that is proven to be a lie.

If I make rocket engines and I claim all revenue comes from them being used in space exploration but then the contractors who incorporate my engines make rockets who are used for combat and I knew that, I am misleading my investors. I can't just say, "Well I didn't make the rockets so it's not my problem".

It may be difficult to prove that I didn't know that my engines were used for something else but let's be real someone like Nvidia knows damn well in who's hand their GPUs end up.

Last edited:
It doesn't work like that, Nvidia specifically lists their revenue as coming from the "Gaming" segment, if you state that in your earnings reports you become liable in case that is proven to be a lie.

If I make rocket engines and I claim all revenue comes from them being used in space exploration but then the contractors who incorporate my engines make rockets who are used for combat and I knew that, I am misleading my investors. I can't just say, "Well I didn't make the rockets so it's not my problem".

It may be difficult to prove that I didn't know that my engines were used for something else but let's be real someone like Nvidia knows damn well in who's hand their GPUs end up.

Isn't it just a naming for product stack? I.e. what would change if they just call it "professional" and "consumer" products?

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Isn't it just a naming for product stack? I.e. what would change if they just call it "professional" and "consumer" products?

It's not just a naming formality. Professional and consumer is kind of a dumb example because "consumer" is really generic.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
i see some of us are not happy to see 65% margin but this is capitalism; there is no limit and if their products have buyers means the're doing well in line with investors expected profits..

in the end this is the purpose of each existing company as they're not charitable foundations.. some are doing well and in the extreme even disappear... those who like nv should be happy they didn't use 100% margin...

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
i see some of us are not happy to see 65% margin but this is capitalism; there is no limit and if their products have buyers means the're doing well in line with investors expected profits..

in the end this is the purpose of each existing company as they're not charitable foundations.. some are doing well and in the extreme even disappear... those who like nv should be happy they didn't use 100% margin...
Except:

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
is irrelevant and has nothing to do with current situation;no investors sued them now and seems they're quite happy...

That's hilarious because it is exactly the same situation, literally no difference. Lawsuits, if they will exist, will obviously follow at a later date. And Nvidia's stock price went down by a fair bit during the last week and has only moderately increased after these financial reports which indicates investors aren't exactly thrilled by these record figures which should tell you something.