• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces Full Support For OpenCL 1.0

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA Corporation announced its full support for the newly released OpenCL 1.0 specification from the Khronos Group. OpenCL (Open Computing Language) is a new compute API that allows developers to harness the massive parallel computing power of the GPU. The addition of OpenCL is another major milestone in the GPU revolution that gives NVIDIA developers another powerful programming option.

NVIDIA kicked off the GPU computing revolution with the introduction of NVIDIA CUDA, its massively parallel computing ISA and hardware architecture. CUDA was designed to natively support all parallel computing interfaces and will seamlessly run OpenCL. Enabled on over 100 million NVIDIA GPUs, CUDA has unleashed unprecedented performance boosts across a wide range of applications and provides a huge installed base for the deployment of compute applications using OpenCL. With support for other industry standard languages such as C, Java, Fortran and Python, only the CUDA architecture provides developers with a choice of programming environments to aid the rapid development of compute applications on the GPU.

First introduced with the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GPU and standard across all NVIDIA's modern GPUs, CUDA is the foundation of NVIDIA's parallel computing strategy. CUDA has had a tremendous reception from the world's research community with scientists seeing up to a 20-200x speed-up in their applications with CUDA over a CPU. The CUDA architecture is being built into a wide range of computing systems from supercomputers and workstations to consumer PCs, enabling more than 25,000 developers to actively develop on CUDA today.

"The arrival of OpenCL is fabulous news for the computing industry and NVIDIA is delighted to be playing a highly active role in the establishment of a new standard that promotes computing on the GPU," said Manju Hegde, general manager of CUDA at NVIDIA. "We are delighted that Apple has helped spearhead OpenCL. Their recognition that the GPU will now play an essential role in consumer applications is a significant milestone in the history of computing."

Vice president of embedded content at NVIDIA, Neil Trevett also holds the position of chair of the OpenCL working group at Khronos.

"The OpenCL specification is a result of a clearly recognized opportunity from leaders like NVIDIA to grow the total market for heterogeneous parallel computing through an open, cross-platform standard," said Trevett. "NVIDIA will continue to be very active in the OpenCL working group to drive the evolution of the specification and will support OpenCL on all its platforms, providing developers an additional way to tap into the awesome computational power of our GPUs."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Bl4ck

System Name the HandsomeRulerOfTheUniverse was taken
Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3600Mhz @1.35V~1.4
Motherboard MSI P35Neo2 FIR
Cooling LC - EK Multioption res,EK DC 4.0, Swiftech Apogee GT, Feser Tubes.
Memory 2x2GB Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX275 overclocked.
Storage Samsung F1 750GB
Display(s) LG 2261VP-PF HDMI
Case Coolermaster Dominator (RC690)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Extreme Gamer
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Win7 Ultimate x64
The Birth of a new standard, great, when OpenGL is dead for Games (not for workstations) Open CL comes in play for graphics computing, and its faster on the market then MS DirectX 11 with its computing shaders. By the time the Windows 7 and DX11 make it to the market the Open CL will be dominant , supported by Apple and Nvidia.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
The Birth of a new standard, great, when OpenGL is dead for Games (not for workstations) Open CL comes in play for graphics computing, and its faster on the market then MS DirectX 11 with its computing shaders. By the time the Windows 7 and DX11 make it to the market the Open CL will be dominant , supported by Apple and Nvidia.

yet another standard MS will try to kill :D. I can wait till i can use open CL stuff for general computing... no more need to buy that expensive i7 if your videocard can encode 50X faster.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
so when will these new open cl drivers be released

Processor Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | P4 @ 2.1GHz
Motherboard Asus Commando ROG (Vdroop mod) | Asus P4V8X-MX
Cooling MegaShadow w/ 2x Scythe Slipstream MX-2 Paste + Kama Bay + 4x120mm case fan | stock Intel
Memory Kingston 4x1GB DDR2 @ 800MHz w/ OCZ XTC cooler | 1GB DDR @ 400MHz
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 260 1792mb 448bit @ 713/1458/1116x2 | GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP8X 64mb 64bit
Storage 640GB WD AACS 250GB Excelstor 160GB Seagate | 40GB WD
Display(s) Samsung T220, Samsung 32" 1080P | LG L1752S
Case Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 | Trendsonic mid tower
Audio Device(s) Asus Supreme FX (Creative Inspire 5.1 speaker), Samsung HT-Z220 | Onboard audio (2.1 Speaker)
Power Supply Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W | 550W generic
Software Vista Ultimate 64 SP2 | XP Pro 32 SP3
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark06 - 17,348 Vantage - P13,510 Super PI 1M - 12.765s @ 4.1GHz GenericCPUbench - 6,864 ms 38,
This is why I stick with Nvidia, they always got something new :toast:

cooler

here full list companies that Support For OpenCL 1.0

http://www.khronos.org/opencl/

OpenCL (Open Computing Language) is the first open, royalty-free standard for general-purpose parallel programming of heterogeneous systems. OpenCL provides a uniform programming environment for software developers to write efficient, portable code for high-performance compute servers, desktop computer systems and handheld devices using a diverse mix of multi-core CPUs, GPUs, Cell-type architectures and other parallel processors such as DSPs.

OpenCL supports a wide range of applications, from embedded and consumer software to HPC solutions, through a low-level, high-performance, portable abstraction. By creating an efficient, close-to-the-metal programming interface, OpenCL will form the foundation layer of a parallel computing ecosystem of platform-independent tools, middleware and applications.

OpenCL is being created by the Khronos Group with the participation of many industry-leading companies and institutions including 3DLABS, Activision Blizzard, AMD, Apple, ARM, Barco, Broadcom, Codeplay, Electronic Arts, Ericsson, Freescale, HI, IBM, Intel, Imagination Technologies, Kestrel Institute, Motorola, Movidia, Nokia, NVIDIA, QNX, RapidMind, Samsung, Seaweed, Takumi, Texas Instruments and Umeå University.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
OpenCL is being created by the Khronos Group with the participation of many industry-leading companies and institutions including 3DLABS, Activision Blizzard, AMD, Apple, ARM, Barco, Broadcom, Codeplay, Electronic Arts, Ericsson, Freescale, HI, IBM, Intel, Imagination Technologies, Kestrel Institute, Motorola, Movidia, Nokia, NVIDIA, QNX, RapidMind, Samsung, Seaweed, Takumi, Texas Instruments and Umeå University.

This is why I stick with Nvidia, they always got something new :toast:

AMD is also participating: so much for nVidia being the only one :eek:

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Which is a better/easier development environment? (OpenCL or CUDA)

Which has a faster build runtime? (OpenCL or CUDA)

I'd love to see some benchmarks, ie. some algorithm, maybe even SuperPI in x86 vs. OpenCL vs. CUDA.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5

Its a standard not developed by nvidia, but the blind corporate endorsers dont even take time to read

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP

I'd love to see some benchmarks, ie. some algorithm, maybe even SuperPI in x86 vs. OpenCL vs. CUDA.

Yeah I would love to see them too. I read somewhere that ATM CUDA is the better one out there. Also overal faster, thanks to a little more specialized hardware. That doesn't mean it's faster everywhere, but it is much more complete than the others, from the number of tools and how useful they are to documentation and support. It's there where Nvidia has always most shined, after all.

Now OpenCL should improve upon that, but speaking about raw performance I expect CUDA/Stream to be inherently slightly faster as they would be a little bit better suited to the hardware they'd be running. BUT by the simple fact that an open standard (usually) means more people will be interested in programing with it, probably OpenCL will be faster after a while. How polished the software usually weighs more than how fast an API is. Take game engines as the best example, D3D is the same for all...

EDIT: Just a comment, a little bit off-topic but noteworthy IMHO:

Its a standard not developed by nvidia, but the blind corporate endorsers dont even take time to read

The GPU wars and fan flaming is just reaching absurd levels on TPU forums. Nowhere he said Nvidia was the only one, nor he suggested Nvidia was developing it. He just said he loves Nvidia because it's always on something new, and face it, IT IS. They are not the only ones, but they are there, they are in PhysX too and many other places. AGAIN no one is suggesting they are the only ones, but they are everywhere nowadays and the simple fact that the guy loves them because of that is no reason to flame him. It's not as if he said Ati sucks or anything, he didn't, I don't even read anything between lines. There's nothing there.

Last edited:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.

From my understanding Open CL should be better and easier to develop. Now that nvidia has come on board it's now a much more viable option for developers. This is something ATI has no problem in supporting as well so hopefully we can see something develop from it soon.

The second part of your question is hard to say right now. That's something we will have to wait and see. Once we start seeing more developers use it will know the answer to that. As it stands, anything new like this will require some "break in" time IMO.

There was suppose to be a superPI program based on cuda but it never materialized. If it did, I am not aware of it's use at this time.

Last edited:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
"The potential benefits of having applications run on both the CPU and GPU within a system are enormous," said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, Graphics Products Group, AMD. "Unfortunately, up until now programmers could only choose proprietary programming languages that limited their ability to write vendor-neutral, cross-platform applications. With today's ratification of OpenCL 1.0, I'm happy to say those days are over. Developers now have a better, truly open choice."
source

So far it looks like Nvidia will use Cuda to run OpenCL while ATI will use a compliant compiler and runtime into its SDK.

I wonder if this means more game support for Apple based computers once use?

Last edited:

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
source

So far it looks like Nvidia will use Cuda to run OpenCL while ATI will use a compliant compiler and runtime into its SDK.

Every single GPGPU solution comes from Standford's Univertity Brook solution (I think the key people working on them in Nvidia, Ati and Intel belonged to the group that made Brook anyway) and they are much more similar than what most people would think. Some people have even suggested you could take CUDA code and run it on Ati GPUs almost unchanged and viceversa. You know there was a guy who claimed it was doing it, but I never knew what to think. In any case the differences are probably almost nonexistent. What Nvidia has said is that their current CUDA is already compliant with OpenCL anyway.

IMHO Brook+ = CUDA = Stream with very slight differences between them to have something to support the idea that the solution is theirs.

Last edited:
System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core i5
Motherboard Asrock ITX
Cooling Water
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos 70" TV
Case Coolermaster ITX
Audio Device(s) Radeon Onboard HDMI
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores -242 whatsoever
Now that sounds pretty nice, but i think we'll have to wait some time to see the first OpenCL apps and even longer for gamesupport ... but lets see what happens there, i'm kinda curious now

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Now that sounds pretty nice, but i think we'll have to wait some time to see the first OpenCL apps and even longer for gamesupport ... but lets see what happens there, i'm kinda curious now

Yeah, in the end it's a wait and see approach. Hopefully we can see something develop from it by the end of 2009. But I still wonder if this means more development support for Apple based computers.

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
Yeah, in the end it's a wait and see approach. Hopefully we can see something develop from it by the end of 2009. But I still wonder if this means more development support for Apple based computers.

I have always thought Apple had some very good applications. Maybe they don't have a lot of them, but they do have good ones for almost anything you need. They are expensive for the most part, granted, but everything Apple is overpriced so I don't know if it would change anything.

Now if you are talking about games... that won't happen.

Bl4ck

System Name the HandsomeRulerOfTheUniverse was taken
Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3600Mhz @1.35V~1.4
Motherboard MSI P35Neo2 FIR
Cooling LC - EK Multioption res,EK DC 4.0, Swiftech Apogee GT, Feser Tubes.
Memory 2x2GB Kingston HyperX
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX275 overclocked.
Storage Samsung F1 750GB
Display(s) LG 2261VP-PF HDMI
Case Coolermaster Dominator (RC690)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Extreme Gamer
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Win7 Ultimate x64
Apple recently started to promote Open CL on their web site, the use mobile GeForce and ATI Radeon chipsets , and they both support Open CL, Apple pormotes new standards faster (Display Port, only 64-bit Leopard instead of 32 and 64 bit) then other companies ,time will tell what will bocome from this .

DarkMatter

Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Case Antec p180
Software Windows XP
Apple recently started to promote Open CL on their web site, the use mobile GeForce and ATI Radeon chipsets , and they both support Open CL, Apple pormotes new standards faster (Display Port, only 64-bit Leopard instead of 32 and 64 bit) then other companies ,time will tell what will bocome from this .

It's easy to force... ejem... suport the adoption of new standards for them. It's all "propietary" and not as open as the PC. Hardware I mean.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180

If developers include Apple based computers in their games it would IMO boost PC gaming market. But we will have to wait and see.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing