• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces the GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Benetanegia

Yeah that's BS. The gap between 7870 and 7970 is 33%. I'll believe it when I see it.

On Wizzard's reviews it doesn't even come close from what I remember. The GTX 660 Ti does surpass 670 and 7970 when OCed:

System Name LS Vtec B18B1 Bolt Ons
Processor AMD Phenom ii 1045t x6 @ 3.5Ghz OC
Motherboard ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 AM3+
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO Push Pull
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) Black 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 Dual-X
Storage Samsung EVO 250gb SSD/Samsung 500gb 7200 rpm/WD Cavirar Green 1TB
Display(s) Acer H236HLbid IPS
Case NZXT Gamma (Powder Coated Champion White)
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SB0460
Power Supply NZXT HALE82 V2 550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
Benchmark Scores Vtec
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
too dear...........

selling reference cards @ $299 right now
I think we all know that and all the W1zzard has tested are pricier custom/OC'd, well other than the MSI Power Edition which is $300 -AR$10 at Egg... a good deal for sure. :rockout:

However given a reference 7870 is shown to trail by approximately 10% at 1920x from that MSI card everyone is right in the hunt. Any OC AMD 7870 for around $270 maintains on that same price/performance line. Right today there’s several nice 7870 like the Gigabyte GV-R787OC-2GD (1100Mhz) for $280 –AR$20. Considering AMD has of yet never officially cut its price I'd figure we'll see $250-260 right quick.

I’d hope this could to be a fiercely price point. Given these GK104 are the geldings on a smurf board, one would imagine Nvidia can be very aggressive, but will they? I also suppose AMD won't go much lower with the 7950, they'll transition to the Boost version and maintain a $300+ price even after rebates. That means this GTX660Ti has to be able to roll as 7870 reduce? Something tells me AMD won't go south of $250, given the fact Nvidia still needs a GTX650 and GTX660 "Non Ti" to show. So we wait...

Yeah that's BS. The gap between 7870 and 7970 is 33%. I'll believe it when I see it.
So the 7870 Sapphire Flex OC at 1215 MHz is 22% behind on BF3 with Catalyst 12.4 (now 12.8). And that’s the one game where Nvidia has the drivers down-pat, so we’ll can bestow that to Nvidia. Now, how many other titles would be that far apart? How about Metro?

Last edited:

Benetanegia

So the 7870 Sapphire Flex OC at 1215 MHz is 22% behind on BF3 with Catalyst 12.4 (now 12.8). And that’s the one game where Nvidia has the drivers down-pat, so we’ll can bestow that to Nvidia. Now, how many other titles would be that far apart? How about Metro?

On Metro and pretty much any other game, the difference between 7870 and 7970 is the same. Games that favour AMD like Metro will favour the 7970 too. On other games it will be different. On average it balances out but the difference remains.

I'm talking about AMD vs AMD, Nvidia vs Nvidia. 660 Ti OCed bests 670 (and in the process 7970 too because they are mostly equal), but 7870 does not best 7970, it remains at least 10% behind and at the end of the day as the charts show 660Ti is some 10-15% faster than 7870 overcloked or not.

And I don't know why people say that Nvidia has an advantage in Battlefield 3. Its results and W1zzard's average of all games are nearly identical.

Couple of % difference and I suspect that's why W1zzard uses it for OC performance, apart from being one the most advanced engines. It's Metro and very few other games which typically deviate from the norm.

Here is an interesting summary of the 660 Tis from all the reviews

On a side note:
Did Nvidia not send out referance cards for reviewers ? Some sites have the numbers but they dont point out if its a % differance to the OC card in review or that of a base clock referance card, not downclocked from OC being reviewed. Curious to know or get a better clarification.
I would have settled for a EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB review. :ohwell:

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
I think we all know that and all the W1zzard has tested are pricier custom/OC'd, well other than the MSI Power Edition which is $300 -AR$10 at Egg... a good deal for sure. :rockout:

However given a reference 7870 is shown to trail by approximately 10% at 1920x from that MSI card everyone is right in the hunt. Any OC AMD 7870 for around $270 maintains on that same price/performance line. Right today there’s several nice 7870 like the Gigabyte GV-R787OC-2GD (1100Mhz) for $280 –AR$20. Considering AMD has of yet never officially cut its price I'd figure we'll see $250-260 right quick.

I’d hope this could to be a fiercely price point. Given these GK104 are the geldings on a smurf board, one would imagine Nvidia can be very aggressive, but will they? I also suppose AMD won't go much lower with the 7950, they'll transition to the Boost version and maintain a $300+ price even after rebates. That means this GTX660Ti has to be able to roll as 7870 reduce? Something tells me AMD won't go south of $250, given the fact Nvidia still needs a GTX650 and GTX660 "Non Ti" to show. So we wait...

yet you disagreed with someone who posted before asking if a $300 was a realized price.

care to link some? and by some i mean RELIABLE sources such as TPU. Dont link some Toms garbage or Fudzilla either.

What's wrong with Tom's? That is the first tech site I ever visited and I still think it is good. Bad blood between the sites? I usually visit TPU, Guru3d, Tom's, Anand, and Harwareheaven. Reading comments at Tom's makes me want to punch the nearest baby though...

System Name Hhumas-PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Motherboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet
Memory OCZ Platinium 2x2GB
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Storage WD Green 500 GB , WD 500 GB
Display(s) Dell U2410F
Case Casecom
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
same worst shape like gtx 670

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Nvm.

Last edited:
Nice try. Where did you been when Evergreen and Northern Islands was joke at GPGPU?

Start jihad, then.

You are kind of cherry picking there by taking a piece out of a larger sentence. I said MOST PEOPLE DONT CARE BUT.... In any case it should still be addressed since some do.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
You are kind of cherry picking there by taking a piece out of a larger sentence. I said MOST PEOPLE DONT CARE BUT.... In any case it should still be addressed since some do.

You are right. How did I missed it yesterday? :eek: :toast:

In the Ether...probably eating cheetos atm.
System Name Surprising Mini Duece
Processor i3-550 3.2ghz/core (nice little gamer, 98% games = dual core code only)
Motherboard ASUS P7H55M-LE
Cooling Cooler Master Vortex
Memory 8GB Patriot Signature Series 1.5v DDR3 1333Mhz w/ spreaders.
Video Card(s) Old slugger ... EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb SC edition. Soon to be retired.
Storage Segate Sata II 64mb cache 1TB single platter.. fast but chirpy lol
Display(s) 1x Asus VS247h-p 2ms LOVE IT, 1x Sceptre 22" Naga 2ms, 1x 20inch Samsung Syncmaster
Case Aerocool QX-2000 .. my latest project
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD
Power Supply Seasonic x650 Gold! Primo 105Celisius Jap cap wonder.
Software Whatever I can pirate ;) lol jk .. Windows 7 legit license
Benchmark Scores LOL I still get rock steady 57-60FPS in Skyrim on medium settings no AA on this 5 year old video car

On Wizzard's reviews it doesn't even come close from what I remember. The GTX 660 Ti does surpass 670 and 7970 when OCed:

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7870_Flex/images/perf_oc.gifhttp://tpucdn.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_Ti_Power_Edition/images/perf_oc.gif

Battlefield 3 is not really a fair assesment as it's always gonna run nicer on the Nivida it's specially tuned for it and Nvidia's Tessallation handling is better and better in that game as well. Same could be said for Skyrim results because that game is tuned for AMD; however, If I'm correct the Zotac amped 660 TI matched the 7870. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review/14 That's not bad for Nvidia on a AMD tailored game. That's actually a more surprising result IMO.

All in all I've heard the GTX 660 TI is 8% faster than the GTX 580 with about 100Watt less TPD. Honestly it gets an Eh "so close" rating as I was expecting a 15-18% increase of the GTX 580... Hopefully they will come out with a 32ROP and 256bit version soon or by x-mas. That would be the one worth jumping on IMO.

Last edited:

Benetanegia

Battlefield 3 is not really a fair assesment as it's always gonna run nicer on the Nivida it's specially tuned for it and Nvidia's Tessallation handling is better and better in that game as well.

Like I said in a previous post that's not true at all, at least as far as W1zzard's benches go, the relative performance in BF3 and the average of all games is pretty similar in most cards.

And regarding Tesselation and Nvidia's superiority, that's something that nowadays reviewers shouldn't be afraid to expose, IMO. It's been long since DX11 launched, 3 generations and tesselation is a core function of it, it's a mostly fixed function, so optimizations et al don't play a part. If AMD is behind on the high end, is because they still use a dual engine for geometry, placed on the front end, whereas Nvidia uses 4 engines and many more tesselation units, scattered through all it's clusters.

Reviewers and fans alike don't seem to care about exposing other architectural defficiencies. For example even though the 1440p/1600p market is still tiny, reviewers don't hesitate to test those resolutions even though they will invariably turn the results in favor of cards with more bandwidth. But of course it's ok for them to do so, because that superiority does exist for those cards, no matter how niche the market can be. So IMO it's stupid that when this tesselation superiority is exposed in any form, "everyone" jumps on the benchmark or onto the reviewr that dared using it. If at all it shows how fast a card is in DX11.

Processor i3-550 3.2ghz/core (nice little gamer, 98% games = dual core code only)
Video Card(s) Old slugger ... EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb SC edition. Soon to be retired.
Display(s) 1x Asus VS247h-p 2ms LOVE IT, 1x Sceptre 22" Naga 2ms, 1x 20inch Samsung Syncmaster
Benchmark Scores LOL I still get rock steady 57-60FPS in Skyrim on medium settings no AA on this 5 year old video car
Like I said in a previous post that's not true at all, at least as far as W1zzard's benches go, the relative performance in BF3 and the average of all games is pretty similar in most cards.

And regarding Tesselation and Nvidia's superiority, that's something that nowadays reviewers shouldn't be afraid to expose, IMO. It's been long since DX11 launched, 3 generations and tesselation is a core function of it, it's a mostly fixed function, so optimizations et al don't play a part. If AMD is behind on the high end, is because they still use a dual engine for geometry, placed on the front end, whereas Nvidia uses 4 engines and many more tesselation units, scattered through all it's clusters.

Reviewers and fans alike don't seem to care about exposing other architectural defficiencies. For example even though the 1440p/1600p market is still tiny, reviewers don't hesitate to test those resolutions even though they will invariably turn the results in favor of cards with more bandwidth. But of course it's ok for them to do so, because that superiority does exist for those cards, no matter how niche the market can be. So IMO it's stupid that when this tesselation superiority is exposed in any form, "everyone" jumps on the benchmark or onto the reviewr that dared using it. If at all it shows how fast a card is in DX11.

Perhaps you got me all wrong, I know Nivida tesselation handling is better and has been since the 460... that's why I made the point to mention that is better and that it is better in BF3... it's also one of the reasons why I prefer the Nvidia cards over ATI/AMD. I said just ONE, there are many more.

Also, Being an Nvidia fan I still think it's unfair for those that look at BF3 as the do all say all when trying to compare Nvidia Vs Amd on scores. I think that is a gross biased being as that game is tailored for NVidia. Likewise, I would say the same for anyone using AVP or Skyrim to comopare Nvidia vs AMD.... Also, on the older game or res scores in testing I agree. Another example would be Starcraft 2... a lot of people say "who the heck cares about starcraft 2 and DX9 scores" What they don't realize is STarcraft 2 is one of THE MOST taxing game on GPU Core speed/graphics when done in 4vs4 online at max settings.

Also, asfar as I know AMD just went to Dual engine very recently as they were on that weird acryonmy (sorry can't remember at top of my head Trvlm or somthing like that) single read architecture. Didn't they just go to the Dual engine after coping fermi for the 7900 series ? AMD has always been behind the 8 ball on that account since the 460 if I remember correctly.

I'm just saying in my opinion when comparing AMD vs Nvidia picking games that are tailored one way or another is not exactly level ground imo. Now if you want to say ..."look how well Nvidia GTX 660 Ti rocks at BF3 for the price!" by all means go ahead it's correct. But to say "Look how well Nvidia GTX 660ti rocks at BF3 for the price therefore it's the best card ever" that's not entirely true... imo I only say this because data is data and should be interpreted and sifted for what it is ... not misconstrued be it in AMD favor or Nvidia.

Last edited:

Benetanegia

Perhaps you got me all wrong, I know Nivida tesselation handling is better and has been since the 460... that's why I made the point to mention that is better and that it is better in BF3... it's also one of the reasons why I prefer the Nvidia cards over ATI/AMD. I said just ONE, there are many more.

Also, Being an Nvidia fan I still think it's unfair for those that look at BF3 as the do all say all when trying to compare Nvidia Vs Amd on scores. I think that is a gross biased being as that game is tailored for NVidia. Likewise, I would say the same for anyone using AVP or Skyrim to comopare Nvidia vs BF3.... also, on the older game or res scores in testing I agree. Another example would be Starcraft 2... a lot of people say "who the heck cares about starcraft 2 and DX9 scores" What they don't realize is STarcraft 2 is one of THE MOST taxing game on GPU Core speed/graphics when done in 4vs4 online at max settings.

I'm just saying in my opinion when comparing AMD vs Nvidia picking games that are tailored one way or another is not exactly level ground imo.

I didn't pick anything. I took the graphs that W1zz uses to show performance improvement from OCing and used them exclusively for comparing improvement from OCing, 7870 vs 7870 OC and 660 vs 660, not to compare AMD with Nvidia. If BF3 is good for W1zz for showing OC performance, it sure is good for me. PLUS like I said, the premise that BF3 runs better in Nvidia cards is completely false, at least according to W1zzard's benches, as I showed by posting the results in post #30. The stacking of cards and relative performance is very similar in both cases (BF3 and average of all games tested by W1zz).

I didn't pick anything. I took the graphs that W1zz uses to show performance improvement from OCing and used them exclusively for comparing improvement from OCing, 7870 vs 7870 OC and 660 vs 660, not to compare AMD with Nvidia. If BF3 is good for W1zz for showing OC performance, it sure is good for me. PLUS like I said, the premise that BF3 runs better in Nvidia cards is completely false, at least according to W1zzard's benches, as I showed by posting the results in post #30. The stacking of cards and relative performance is very similar in both cases (BF3 and average of all games tested by W1zz).

If that one game is good for you than cool, I'm glad you like and can get what you want out of the card... but can you say the same when you look at Skyrium ? If you get the amped version yes. Alls I am saying (and not trying to pick on you or say your wrong) is to be aware that all games are not equal and sometimes using one game and one game only as a defining benchmark is a more narrow example of the market rather than a bigger picture. Now is that bad ? not really, not if the only game you care about is BF3 then more power too ya. At this mid card level you really won't find a card that dominates all games, unless perhaps Nvidia can get with the program and up the ROPS and Memory Bus widith for the card and see what the 660Ti really can do. If they did that though they'd kill the GTx 670 imo because really other than the 1 extra core the only other 2 things seperating a 670 vs 660 Ti is the Rops and the Memory bus width. Also, AMD has more OC headroom than Nvidia has and that's a good point about AMD, perhaps one of the strongest, thus, if you want to put on an aftermarket heatsink and bios flash yea the 7850's will hit 1300+Mhz from @980Mhz on core EASY, and I mean EASY! There are just too many factors to consider to say one benchmark on one game is the do all say all unless of course that game is all you care about. If so :) enjoy the card and happy hunting :) nothing wrong with that. For me, my love for the GTX 60 based cards is for the balls out performance/$ they can do in SLI. To me, the very worth of the 60 cards are the performance in SLI. That's also primarily what drove the 448 core 560 Ti to be in exsistance because it's a card that could handle the graphics like a 570 but also SLI like a 560. Again, the main selling point for the 60 series card IMO is that 2 are beastly in SLI for the same price as the 80 series, IMO.

PS. I don't know what W1zz is saying about that card on BF3 but i've been monitoring BF3 scores on almost all Nvidia 5 and 6 series since it came out and I've consistently seen a higher difference on that game on Nvidia cards vs. any other game in review/bench test. It's not a bad thing, Nvidia has tried the "tailor fit game market" since Doom3 (which was a fail btw on Drivers) and AMD has their tailored fit games also ... I'm just saying using those tailor fit games as the main referrence point is skewed unless those games are the only games that matter to you as an individual the most. Happy hunting :toast:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review/14 amped version does a better offering in Skyrim and most other games than referrence as well as BF3. That would be the "current" card to boast about imo.

Last edited:

Benetanegia

If that one game is good for you than cool, I'm glad you like and can get what you want out of the card... but can you say the same when you look at Skyrium ? If you get the amped version yes. Alls I am saying (and not trying to pick on you or say your wrong) is to be aware that all games are not equal and sometimes using one game and one game only as a defining benchmark is a more narrow example of the market rather than a bigger picture. Now is that bad ? not really, not if the only game you care about is BF3 then more power too ya. At this mid card level you really won't find a card that dominates all games, unless perhaps Nvidia can get with the program and up the ROPS and Memory Bus widith for the card and see what the 660Ti really can do. If they did that though they'd kill the GTx 670 imo because really other than the 1 extra core the only other 2 things seperating a 670 vs 660 Ti is the Rops and the Memory bus width. Also, AMD has more OC headroom than Nvidia has and that's a good point about AMD, perhaps one of the strongest, thus, if you want to put on an aftermarket heatsink and bios flash yea the 7850's will hit 1300+Mhz from @980Mhz on core EASY, and I mean EASY! There are just too many factors to consider to say one benchmark on one game is the do all say all unless of course that game is all you care about. If so :) enjoy the card and happy hunting :) nothing wrong with that. For me, my love for the GTX 60 based cards is for the balls out performance/$ they can do in SLI. To me, the very worth of the 60 cards are the performance in SLI. That's also primarily what drove the 448 core 560 Ti to be in exsistance because it's a card that could handle the graphics like a 570 but also SLI like a 560. Again, the main selling point for the 60 series card IMO is that 2 are beastly in SLI for the same price as the 80 series, IMO.

PS. I don't know what W1zz is saying about that card on BF3 but i've been monitoring BF3 scores on almost all Nvidia 5 and 6 series since it came out and I've consistently seen a higher difference on that game on Nvidia cards vs. any other game in review/bench test. It's not a bad thing, Nvidia has tried the "tailor fit game market" since Doom3 (which was a fail btw on Drivers) and AMD has their tailored fit games also ... I'm just saying using those tailor fit games as the main referrence point is skewed unless those games are the only games that matter to you as an individual the most. Happy hunting :toast:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review/14 amped version does a better offering in Skyrim and most other games than referrence as well as BF3. That would be the "current" card to boast about imo.

You are not reading, so please read what I said first, before jumping to conclusions. If BF3 is faster with Nvidia cards is completely irrelevant. If it's comparatively faster for the 660 Ti, is faster for the 670 and 680 too. Likewise if BF3 is comparatively slower on the 7870, it's slower on the 7970 too. So again pay attention to W1zzard's graphs and you'll see that is in fact the case.

Some user said that the 7870 overclocks better than the 660 Ti which is false from what I've seen in various reviews.

He said that the 7870 could match a 7970 when overclocked. Which is false, except in extreme OC conditions, as can be seen in the review.

The same user said that the 660 Ti on the other hand can only barely match a stock 670 when overcloked, which is again false as the review shows the 660 Ti between the perf level of 670/7970 and 680.

And sure, higher OC are posible, which could arguably make the 7870 almost as fast as the 7970 (maybe), but that's true for both cards. The 660 Ti with a higher OC would definitely match a 680. Hence my point, OC vs OC or stock vs stock, the 660 Ti is always around 10% faster.