• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Asks Retailers to Ensure Gamers Get Graphics Cards

Ehm... but then with your solution, you basically end up with:

- more work, because you need to find a CPU/board combo that is worth a penny in resale
- more work, because you'll be rebuilding your rig because you wanted to upgrade a GPU o_O
- equal or much higher cost, because you are forced to buy things you didn't need, while GPU prices are not suddenly going to go down
- All of the above combined

Explain to me again what the advantage was? We don't suddenly magically have low demand and high supply with your method, its the same production lines, except now you've expanded the pressure on those production lines by also forcing customers to buy unnecessary RAM, board, CPU and whatever else some bright lights like yourself come up with. Wasn't RAM one of those things also in high demand? Or what if the shop only sells crappy boards that have zero value on resale/not the board/CPU/RAM you want, etc etc etc.

And all of this trickery just so some (big) kids can play a video game. Are you for real, bro?

No, its real simple, the only and definitive solution is to kill crypto mining full stop. Anything else is untrue, a blatant lie, or a company that thinks its customers are total idiots. Given a bunch of responses to this topic, the latter really isn't far off IMO. Not too long ago people suggested to 'lock mining out of GPUs'... another such display of brilliance... Its not even possible.
Well - Crypto mining will not stop and all graphic cards are sold to crypto miners - so gamers cannot buy graphic cards at all.
My solution ensures that gamers _can_ buy GPUs.
AMD and NVidia simple sells 50% of the stock to GPU on mobo manufacturers.

The only person would not like this is a miner who wants to buy a graphic card into his rig...

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
The only person would not like this is a miner who wants to buy a graphic card into his rig...
or everyone else who wants to buy a graphic card into his rig.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Well - Crypto mining will not stop and all graphic cards are sold to crypto miners - so gamers cannot buy graphic cards at all.

No, the majority of cards are not sold to dedicated miners.

Even though mining is ridiculous, the GPU shortage is greatly exaggerated. It's more a local shortage than anything.

No, the majority of cards are not sold to dedicated miners.

Even though mining is ridiculous, the GPU shortage is greatly exaggerated. It's more a local shortage than anything.

When Newegg here in the States can list a 6 pack of Frontier Edition Air Cooled Vega's with Riser cards... they wouldn't be bundling that for $7000 if they didn't think they could sell in a couple of days!
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6V66RH9417

Or a generic Sapphire Pulse 580 8Gb for $490... though to get you to bite the "Free Gift" is a ASUS VZ229H 21" Monitor
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202278

Keep telling yourself that...

Last edited:
Processor I7 4790K
Motherboard ASUS Z97 Pro
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Platinum 16GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage PNY SSD 960 x2
Display(s) ASUS 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 450D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Glorious Model O w/DreamCables paracord
Keyboard Ducky Sine 5 YOTG
Software Win 10 Pro
When Newegg here in the States can list a 6 pack of Frontier Edition Air Cooled Vega's with Riser cards... they wouldn't be bundling that for $7000 if they didn't think they could sell in a couple of days!

Thank you +1

Yea If only Nvidia can take out the compute side of the GPU out while leaving the gaming architecture in tact, they’d have a gamers GPU again. I would switch back to Nvidia in a heartbeat if their cards were available again , despite having a Freesync monitor.

Remember gamers were here before miners. Mining has ruined the gaming industry. 970s are still the main GPU being used on steam because no one can afford to upgrade. That’s how long this problem has been. Even gaming will have to stagnate performance because there won’t be anyone that can play their games if they need more GPU.

Sad. There’s no way I’m paying inflated prices I can’t afford it, I have 500 bucks and I can’t pick up a Vega 56. Because that’s all it’s worth.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me

Or a generic Sapphire Pulse 580 8Gb for $490... though to get you to bite the "Free Gift" is a ASUS VZ229H 21" Monitor
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202278

Hope you know that those 6 AMD Vega's with the riser is not sold on Newegg but a 3rd party seller, check the "Sold and Shipped by:".

The rx580 is sold by Newegg but at a higher cost. Cant blame newegg for trying to make something extra.

Thank you +1

Yea If only Nvidia can take out the compute side of the GPU out while leaving the gaming architecture in tact, they’d have a gamers GPU again. I would switch back to Nvidia in a heartbeat if their cards were available again , despite having a Freesync monitor.

Remember gamers were here before miners. Mining has ruined the gaming industry. 970s are still the main GPU being used on steam because no one can afford to upgrade. That’s how long this problem has been. Even gaming will have to stagnate performance because there won’t be anyone that can play their games if they need more GPU.

Sad. There’s no way I’m paying inflated prices I can’t afford it, I have 500 bucks and I can’t pick up a Vega 56. Because that’s all it’s worth.
Thank you +1

What kind of "compute" do you want to take out. Playing games is also some kind of "compute". It makes so sense what you just wrote.
And if playing games instead of making extra money is all you have to do in life then do something else.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Fine bro, if you think this is a great idea, then its a great idea. Implement it somewhere, and you can prove it.

Same with the 'cut out some compute' right below you.... give it a shot sometime! I am really looking forward to the results.

These 'ideas' fall in the same category as this Nvidia announcement thread you're typing in - complete and utter nonsense that will never happen.

Hope you know that those 6 AMD Vega's with the riser is not sold on Newegg but a 3rd party seller, check the "Sold and Shipped by:".
Oh, I saw that but ever since the Chinese took hold of Egg I'd consider they have complicity in who and what is listed. For all you know Egg's buying power gets ahold of those, then moves them to the 3 party seller... (in the real world they are more know as "Off-Shore accounts" when you want not to know whom is paying who.)

The rx580 is sold by Newegg but at a higher cost. Cant blame newegg for trying to make something extra.
I'd rather Egg say "Gamers Special"... say the RX 580 Gb is $280 when purchase with a list of monitors you can consider, not some panel that has no use for a gamer that buying a 580 8Gb. If they had say the Acer XG270HU bundle with that card for $650 that would entice more folks, while it is returned as the bundle. That would slow some miners and provide gamers from feeling totally screwed.

Last edited:
System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
AMD Ryzen™ 5 2400G with Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics
I have a bad feeling that eventually discreet video cards are going to be something that only the rich can afford and that the rest of us are going to have to settle for systems with integrated graphics like that one I linked to above. When that day comes (and I think it's already here) it will be a sad day for PC gaming, a sad day indeed.

That Ryzen™ 5 2400G looks like a damn good deal considering just how damn expensive video cards are. Not only do you get a 4-core/8-thread processor but you also get semi-decent graphics power all for under $200. Granted it won't run your games on Ultra settings but at least you may be able to play it at Medium settings without breaking your bank account.