• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA at Gamescom 2017: ShadowPlay Highlights, Ansel AI Style Transfer and More

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Yes, Gamescom 2017 is done already and it would be fair to say that Microsoft took a lot of press time with their Age of Empires IV announcement. This does not mean others were quiet, and indeed we missed what NVIDIA was up to until recently. They held a pre-event show where developers from the most popular games today- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, Destiny 2, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, and Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition- presented new feature trailers (in 4K, of course) supporting NVIDIA's GameWorks technology.

In addition, there were hands-on sessions available with some other upcoming game releases including Pro Evolution Soccer 2018, Forza Motorsport 7, Need for Speed Payback, Project Cars 2 and the recently released Lawbreakers. These games came with some GameWorks announcements as applicable as well.

The developers of the wildly popular PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds (PUBG) took to the stage to announce support for NVIDIA's ShadowPlay Highlights, which in turn was announced earlier this year. Developer integration of ShadowPlay Highlights is only now taking off, but the addition of PUBG- a game that briefly held the top spot on steam for number of concurrent players- will definitely get it a lot of attention and usage alike.

NVIDIA said, and I quote, "This new NVIDIA technology automatically captures your best PUBG moments. So now, when you get kills, die, win a match, or knockout yourself or your enemies, ShadowPlay Highlights will automatically save a gameplay clip that you can quickly edit before uploading to your favorite sites and services." NVIDIA announced a highlights contest where the prizes include a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, with more details to be found here. In addition, the latest PUBG patch brought support for HBAO+ as an ambient occlusion technique, and you can find some comparison images with and without at this link.

Destiny 2's Open Beta on PC is live now, and you can take a look at our PC port performance testing if you are so inclined. The results indicate NVIDIA has been hard at work bringing GameWorks support here, and the developers reaffirmed the partnership announcing the return of the Destiny 2 game bundle with the purchase of applicable GeForce GTX 1080 and 1080 Ti cards. In addition, people who redeem this offer now, or even those having done so earlier in June, will also receive three in-game pre-order incentives at the game's launch while supplies last: the Coldheart Exotic Rifle, the Kill Tracker Ghost, and the Salute emote. Finally, Destiny 2 on PC will support HDR, as well as NVIDIA SLI, at launch.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War decided they wanted a piece of the action as well, and NVIDIA announced they are working with Monolith Productions to bring HDR and NVIDIA SLI support for the upcoming PC release. The game will also support NVIDIA Ansel, examples of which are available to view online here.

Square Enix next came up to announce Final Fantasy XV on Windows will support a plethora of NVIDIA GameWorks library visual effects, and features including Ansel, ShadowPlay Highlights and extended GeForce Experience support which was not expanded upon at this time. The GameWorks effects used in the game include NVIDIA Flow, NVIDIA HairWorks, NVIDIA Hybrid Frustum Traced Shadows, NVIDIA Turf Effects, and NVIDIA Voxel Ambient Occlusion. More information on these implementations can be found here.

Developer and game history aside, Konami also participated at the event and announced NVIDIA Ansel support. As with other supporting games, one would thus be able to capture 360° panoramas that can then be viewed in VR, mobile displays or, of course, your desktop. NVIDIA confirmed a game-ready driver is in the works, and provided some Ansel images to take a look at here.

With 25 games already supporting, or announced support for, NVIDIA Ansel, the technology itself received a feature update as well called AI Style Transfer. The process involves finding a painting (or any digital image, really), framing the shot in Ansel and then applying the style transfer which in turn uses neural networks to identify the various object classes in both, and applies the style to the shot thus creating a more personalized capture. NVIDIA mentioned that AI Style Transfer was built with processing speed in mind, so you will be able to see the final stylized image during final camera adjustments itself. As an example, NVIDIA used a scene from Ark: Survival Evolved with the results seen above. More details on Ansel with AI Style Transfer will be announced soon.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Sounds nice , some how It sort of looks like a really good kids drawing though , obviously with a tripy kid but still.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Ansel is some really cool tech and I wish more applications - even outside of games - would take advantage of it. Taking a screenshot right out of the buffer is a simple idea but brilliant. I don't use it a ton, but I've gotten some really beautiful vista shots in The Witcher 3 at exceedingly high resolutions.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It really does work well with PUBG.

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
Ansel needs more support, not just limited to new games or those with GameWorks. Bigger support is always welcome.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Ansel needs more support, not just limited to new games or those with GameWorks. Bigger support is always welcome.

Um, Ansel in part of GameWorks so that will never happen. I completely disagree by the way, as not everyone wants to be forced to use Nvidia cards. I would take open source tech any day of the week.

I can see auto moments capture as useful, but does anyone actually use ANSEL ? I mean like outside a niche tiny minority of people who apparently do digital photography in games?

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)