• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Crypto Mining Processor 170HX Card Spotted with 164 MH/s Hash Rate

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
For how many times has the transition been postponed now? The Umpteenth?
Spoiler alert: It'll never happen, the developers own far too many ETHs still that they do value. Abandoning mining will kill ETH stone dead, zeroing out the developers wallets. They're not that dumb.
As a miner, I really hope you're right. I'll be happy to keep making $100+ a day beyond December if mining can continue.

Owning ETH favours PoS though, so the developers are the ones trying to make ETH a greener cryptocurrency. Moving away from mining also increases scarcity and stops inflation, so there's a double incentive for the ETH developers/holders to hasten the transition from PoW to PoS since scarcity increases the relative value of any held ETH.

Postponing the PoS transition is what all miners want, me included, but the London fork on 5th Aug is something like step 3 on the 5-step journey to a full PoS transition and its been very well received by the market and shows that the PoS transition roadmap can continue as planned. A lot of us miners were hoping that EIP-1559 would be a bit of a flop and provide more arguments to delay the PoS transition, but it's had the opposite effect and boosted ETH's value by 100% in under 30 days.

Scarcity alone isn't what'll maintain value though, I could create a coin that only I could mine, yet I am sure it's value would be stuck at exactly nil.
Some guy infamously referred to mining (proof of work) as proof of pollution and proof of stake as proof of plutocracy. Cryptocoins were created as the antithesis to plutocracy.
ETH being minable is what gives it value. Also, some other coin would jump into the gap created by ETH, so in that sense ETH is replaceable, but mining itself isn't.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Scarcity alone isn't what'll maintain value though, I could create a coin that only I could mine, yet I am sure it's value would be stuck at exactly nil.
Some guy infamously referred to mining (proof of work) as proof of pollution and proof of stake as proof of plutocracy. Cryptocoins were created as the antithesis to plutocracy.
ETH being minable is what gives it value. Also, some other coin would jump into the gap created by ETH, so in that sense ETH is replaceable, but mining itself isn't.
Absolutely. The value of "normal" money lies in the fact that many people use it all around the world, and so products and services have an established value (even though that fluctuates with inflation, but that's a different story). If only a handful of people use a (crypto)currency, then it has no established value outside its community, so its usefulness is questionable at best. You need a certain number of people to use your currency for it to gain any value. Then, as more people mine with more advanced hardware, mining will eventually return lesser profits per node due to mining difficulty increasing with the amount of total processing power available (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Then after a point, the hardware requirements of mining will be so great that even the largest mining farms will enjoy diminishing returns - hence proof of stake, which makes sure that the rich continue getting richer through being able to stake more cash. In this sense, mining is replaceable by PoS after a certain amount of capital has been accumulated, but the system as a whole will never be any fairer, just maybe a bit greener.