• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia driver problems after swapping video cards

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
I need some help figuring this out. I have an 8800GTS 640 and 512 and i just swapped the cards, replacing the 640 with 512 cause i added a TT Duorb cooler to it. After swapping the cards i booted up and refresh rate and resolution changed which is normal when you swap cards. So i started unistalling the 169.21 driver and things got a little weird. First i got this DOS pop up screen saying something about not being able to remove/uinstall some file or files. I didn't read exactly what it said and clicked ok to unistall the display driver, i didn't get a screen with a progress bar which i think is supposed to appear when you unistall a display driver. So the uninstall process was almost instant and i pressed ok to restart. After the restart i proceded to reinstall the 169.21 driver afte which i had to restart again. That's when the problems started: the whole system became unresponsive, i couldn't open many different apps, like the nvidia control panel, add/remove programs and so on. I couldn't even turn off or restart the system by going to Start > Turn off Computer. So i had to press the reset button. After the pc rebooted everything started working OK again, but i'm wondering why these problems occured in the first place and whether they will reappear in the future.

I already swapped these same exact cards before i put the Duorb on the 8800GTS 512 after i bought it and took the same steps as now: swap cards, unistall 169.21 driver, then reinstall it and everything was fine. I'm wondering if there is a way to complete clean out the display drivers? May be it will help if i do that and then start over fresh. I hope someone can shed some light onto this.