• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
snip... when the Vulkan API is used .... DirectX 12 in a proper manner .

Rise of the Tomb Raider is an awful attempt at DX12. Its shouldn't be considered that in the slightest.

So it's all about new API's yet we pick and choose which we like to argue for an architecture? mmm..

well @wolf after seeing your spec raid 0 with 4 ssd i realize that you understand everything about pc XD. RX480 is much future proof then 1060. almost all old radeon now kick ass with DX12 enabled

Your first statement is... well... at least you tried? clutching at straws tho.

As for buying a mid-range card today and using the "future proof" argument... The top end cards are the ones that will last the longest, not the mid range ones.

By the time the majority of games tested in reviews use these 'new gen" API's the two cards in question here will be obsoleted by at least one generation. This is if we're talking about high-to-maximum in game settings, 1080-1440p. All we have to compare is the here and now, all these "but it will shine in the future" comments are a pretty average argument for them. A card might last you 3 years of good gameplay, at a stretch 5 if you're willing to sacrifice a lot of eye candy. By then the price/performance landscape will be completely different all over again.

Generally if you game a hec of a lot, the best sort of value (I find) is in a high end card once every ~2 gens, or a upper/midrange card every generation, to enjoy the games in the here and now.

i'd love to revisit this thread in 2-3 years and see how well an RX480 / GTX1060 performs in the games that are the latest and greatest, my guess is nobody will care.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Are there no new drivers released? 1060 using the release drivers of 1080 and 1070? I would have expected some new ones like they did before for support of new hardware but it seems that the initial pascal drivers already contain it.

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 7 x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC IP67 2000RPM
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 Strix
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) Topping A90/D90 MQA, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply ASUS THOR 1600T
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + OpenSUSE MicroOS
This card might possibly be the worst purchase you could do at the moment. No doubt it has the performance advantage over the RX480.... in DX11. In every DX12 & Vulkan title I've seen benchmarked, the 1060 is about 20% slower than the 480. Considering the 480 runs pretty well much every DX11 title comfortably at 1080p, and pretty well much every AAA game being released this year will be DX12\Vulkan, I see no reason why you would buy a 1060 over a 480. There's a reason why Nvidia reviewer kits only had DX11 and usually Gameworks titles in it, as quite simply, the 480 is going to age a lot better, where as people on 1060's would be looking for upgrades by the start of next year.

Last edited:
Processor Core i5-4440
Motherboard Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87
Memory 8 GB DDR3-2400 CL11
Video Card(s) GTX 760 2GB
This card might possibly be the worst purchase you could do at the moment. No doubt it has the performance advantage over the RX480.... in DX11. In every DX12 & Vulkan title I've seen benchmarked, the 1060 is about 20% slower than the 480. Considering the 480 runs pretty well much every DX11 title comfortably at 1080p, and pretty well much every AAA game being released this year will be DX12\Vulkan, I see no reason why you would buy a 1060 over a 480. There's a reason why Nvidia reviewer kits only had DX11 and usually Gameworks titles in it, as quite simply, the 480 is going to age a lot better, where as people on 1060's would be looking for upgrades by the start of next year.

In reviews I've seen GTX 1060 is on par with RX 480 in Ashes of singularity and TWW (both AMD sponsored), in Rise of the tomb raider(with latest patch) 20% faster, in Hitman 10% slower and in doom(Vulkan) 20% slower. So it seems like they are on par in new APIs but GTX 1060 is cooler, quieter and more efficient, plus many custom 1060s are selling for just 250$(just 10$ more than reference 480).

Captain Fantastic

Well, I ordered a non-reference card from Amazon for $279.00 today. Which is cheaper than I can find any RX 480s in stock for.

Nice review, btw.

/edit - the kudos for the review.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
the 480 is going to age a lot better, where as people on 1060's would be looking for upgrades by the start of next year.

....the only business that wants to only sell you something once is the funeral homes.

Last edited:
System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
yada yada yada... how many DX12/Vulkan bounded games are out there? I can even count them with my eyes closed FFS... over here in Malaysia, aftermarket versions of the RX480 4GB made under ASUS & MSI are selling way more expensive than Zotac's newly released GTX1060 AMP Edition. for the same price as a 8GB reference RX480, the GTX1060 non-FE is a more worthy investment in the long run IMO. Won't need to worry about it turning into a box of heated element.

So it's all about new API's yet we pick and choose which we like to argue for an architecture? mmm..

Your first statement is... well... at least you tried? clutching at straws tho.

As for buying a mid-range card today and using the "future proof" argument... The top end cards are the ones that will last the longest, not the mid range ones.

By the time the majority of games tested in reviews use these 'new gen" API's the two cards in question here will be obsoleted by at least one generation. This is if we're talking about high-to-maximum in game settings, 1080-1440p. All we have to compare is the here and now, all these "but it will shine in the future" comments are a pretty average argument for them. A card might last you 3 years of good gameplay, at a stretch 5 if you're willing to sacrifice a lot of eye candy. By then the price/performance landscape will be completely different all over again.

Generally if you game a hec of a lot, the best sort of value (I find) is in a high end card once every ~2 gens, or a upper/midrange card every generation, to enjoy the games in the here and now.

i'd love to revisit this thread in 2-3 years and see how well an RX480 / GTX1060 performs in the games that are the latest and greatest, my guess is nobody will care.

No because Rise of Tomb Raider only gains 1FPS on the 1060 and the RX480 when using DX12 over DX11. If you know how DX12 works you know that shouldn't be the case. So it is a case of DX12 not being utilized.

Nvidia has struggled with DX12 implementation. Not sure why but it kind of irks me as an Nvidia user. But the whole Vram issue with the GTX 970 kind of irked me as well. Nvidia does get away with a bunch of crap because they are sitting in the number one spot and pretty much dominate. And just for clarity my main tablet is an Nvidia Shield tablet, my set top box is an Nvidia Shield Box, and my gpu is a GTX 970. So I am clearly pretty invested into Nvidia.

There is no reason a mid range GPU shouldn't be able to stay relevant, especially considering mid range has jumped to the $250-$400 range. I think my last AMD (ATI) card was an X800 XL that I paid like $179 for from zipzoomfly back in the day right after release (I don't remember how but that was a killer deal on the card at the time think it might have been in a brown box maybe), I think it was a Powercolor and that thing rocked in my main system for a long time and really the only reason it had to be changed out was because of some of the API's being used in games like Bioshock. But back then was able to play it thanks to some modders work arounds because the card was powerful enough to play the game just didn't support the API's at an architecture level. I have read that Nvidia supports most of all the DX12 instructions but actually not all of them. Though I never read if that changed or not with the release of the 1080, 1070, or 1060.

Most of the time I buy midrange because it is the best bang for buck. High end usually doesn't pay off because the dollar per performance isn't justified. They are always the best cards but you pay way more per dollar for each fps.

DX12 seems to be here to stay. Granted with even ultrawides we have already seen in at CES higher res screens that are like 5K I believe for ultrawide and the media companies don't plan on doing most of their broadcast updates until 8K is released as they don't want to upgrade so close after upgrading to 1080P. Granted if you play at 1080 or even 1440 you have probably been pretty content with the graphics card you had previously if you invested in a decent one. The only reason I am considering upgrading is because I want to move to higher res ultrawide and also like something with at least 8GB of Vram. Biggest mistake Nvidia had with the GTX 970 was the 4GB that didn't even run at full speed for the full 4GB.

Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
@dlgh7 the GTX970, by most for me is a 50/50 thing, but it still performs decently on most games at 1080p.

Higher performance, more efficient, but not worth the extra cost over the RX480 IMO.
uses 50w less power while gaming
5 degree cooler while gaming
gpu is 6% more overclockable
memory is 5% more overclockable
better driver support
phsyx support

and it's nvidia...

so yeah... it worth every penny to get this card then the rx480 !

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
No because Rise of Tomb Raider only gains 1FPS on the 1060 and the RX480 when using DX12 over DX11. If you know how DX12 works you know that shouldn't be the case. So it is a case of DX12 not being utilized.

Nvidia has struggled with DX12 implementation. Not sure why but it kind of irks me as an Nvidia user. But the whole Vram issue with the GTX 970 kind of irked me as well. Nvidia does get away with a bunch of crap because they are sitting in the number one spot and pretty much dominate. And just for clarity my main tablet is an Nvidia Shield tablet, my set top box is an Nvidia Shield Box, and my gpu is a GTX 970. So I am clearly pretty invested into Nvidia.

There is no reason a mid range GPU shouldn't be able to stay relevant, especially considering mid range has jumped to the $250-$400 range. I think my last AMD (ATI) card was an X800 XL that I paid like $179 for from zipzoomfly back in the day right after release (I don't remember how but that was a killer deal on the card at the time think it might have been in a brown box maybe), I think it was a Powercolor and that thing rocked in my main system for a long time and really the only reason it had to be changed out was because of some of the API's being used in games like Bioshock. But back then was able to play it thanks to some modders work arounds because the card was powerful enough to play the game just didn't support the API's at an architecture level. I have read that Nvidia supports most of all the DX12 instructions but actually not all of them. Though I never read if that changed or not with the release of the 1080, 1070, or 1060.

Most of the time I buy midrange because it is the best bang for buck. High end usually doesn't pay off because the dollar per performance isn't justified. They are always the best cards but you pay way more per dollar for each fps.

DX12 seems to be here to stay. Granted with even ultrawides we have already seen in at CES higher res screens that are like 5K I believe for ultrawide and the media companies don't plan on doing most of their broadcast updates until 8K is released as they don't want to upgrade so close after upgrading to 1080P. Granted if you play at 1080 or even 1440 you have probably been pretty content with the graphics card you had previously if you invested in a decent one. The only reason I am considering upgrading is because I want to move to higher res ultrawide and also like something with at least 8GB of Vram. Biggest mistake Nvidia had with the GTX 970 was the 4GB that didn't even run at full speed for the full 4GB.

You're in that crowd that doesn't understand DX12 and business. I don't mean that offensively, I mean it as a person who sees the difference between business and design.
You can't say that RotTR doesn't use DX12 properly, anymore than you can Hitman does. DX12 uses various methods to run and it uses those methods depending on the development. I posted a link in another thread, way back where the Hitman devs allowed the AMD guys to code Async to the gunnels, to get the most out of AMD hardware. They knew doing that (with AMD'S proprietary ACE's) would hamper Nvidia.
Likewise, Nvidia had more involvement with RotTR.
The curve ball is AotS, where the 1060 compares favourably to the 480.

Nvidia dropped compute hardware after Fermi to focus on efficiency. It's ironic that way back then, the heavy compute prowess was often questioned by reviewers as not being necessary for gaming. It was as if Nvidia had brought HPC to the desktop.
AMD plugged on with compute (that's why it has way more hardware and higher power draw than Nvidia equivalent) and moved to implement Mantle to utilise it's GCN.
AMD played the very long game and it's finally coming to bear fruit but the first trees are only just appearing. DX11 is still around. In fact go back a year and plenty of folks of a certain persuasion insisted DX12 would be the major force and in most games by now.
Nvidia competes competently without the compute hardware by using refined speed, rather than hardware grunt. Moreover, that hardware still hinders DX11 utilisation so forward looking isn't so great when DX12 isn't the standard model.

Finally, revisiting devs. It doesn't matter who has what benefits, when AMD or Nvidia get involved in a game, rest assured it won't generally suit the other side.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
uses 50w less power while gaming
5 degree cooler while gaming
gpu is 6% more overclockable
memory is 5% more overclockable
better driver support
phsyx support

and it's nvidia...

so yeah... it worth every penny to get this card then the rx480 !

Better driver support hahaha oh where have you been lately?
Physx support... oh man... yeah thats totally a selling point...some floating orbs in a handful of games, rousing endorsement that fo sho...
Its Nvidia...yeah I would sooner say thats a negative then anything else.
5 degrees cooler..yeah..k.

On the rest sure, although overclockablility is such a weird thing to praise a card for, I dont even know why we have it to begin with.
Why not push a card to its very limits out of the box? why do we (the consumer) have to do that? if a card in general is very overclockable.. does that not mean the factory specs are just too low?

Last edited:
System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
PhysX plugin for 3DS and Maya are bomb though.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
On the rest sure, although overclockablility is such a weird thing to praise a card for, I dont even know why we have it to begin with.
Why not push a card to its very limits out of the box? why do we (the consumer) have to do that? if a card in general is very overclockable.. does that not mean the factory specs are just too low?

Factory overclocks often leave a lot on the table, but not always as some chips cannot get much higher without instability.
Part of that is warranty long life concerns, but the other part is to allow enthusiasts the experience of discovering how far their cards can go.

long story short IMO, Nvidia is good on the software front with not so stellar hardware while AMD wins outright in terms of raw firepower but brought down by not-so-polished software. If what @ShurikN says that there's little or no gains of using DX12 on both camps is true, means both camps has it's pros & cons in DX12. The only thing left to look at is the developers as they are the deciding factor. Hopefully next year's list of DX12 powered games will put this Polaris vs Pascal debate to rest, which I think isn't going to stop until one of them says they had enough.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Software W10
long story short IMO, Nvidia is good on the software front with not so stellar hardware while AMD wins outright in terms of raw firepower but brought down by not-so-polished software. If what @ShurikN says that there's little or no gains of using DX12 on both camps is true, means both camps has it's pros & cons in DX12. The only thing left to look at is the developers as they are the deciding factor. Hopefully next year's list of DX12 powered games will put this Polaris vs Pascal debate to rest, which I think isn't going to stop until one of them says they had enough.
ive said that only for RotTR, other games show fps boosts for both amd and nv. Thats why I stated that TR is a bad example of DX12 benchmark because it's not doing what the api is supppsed to

Physx support... oh man... yeah thats totally a selling point...some floating orbs in a handful of games, rousing endorsement that fo sho...
Just a sidenote on this. Almost every game that uses Gameworks is using PhysX/FleX in some form. They do not usually require a GPU for it though.

ive said that only for RotTR, other games show fps boosts for both amd and nv. Thats why I stated that TR is a bad example of DX12 benchmark because it's not doing what the api is supppsed to
What are they supposed to do then, since you apperantly know that?

The same thing could be said against a lot of games that uses DX 11 "because they don't perform". That's not how it works.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Software W10
What are they supposed to do then, since you apperantly know that?

The same thing could be said against a lot of games that uses DX 11 "because they don't perform". That's not how it works.
Rise of the TR has both 11 and 12, so you can compare two apis and come to a conclusion that the are almost no benefits (on ALL cards). Unlike DX11 only game where you don't have anything to compare it to.

Rise of the TR has both 11 and 12, so you can compare two apis and come to a conclusion that the are almost no benefits (on ALL cards). Unlike DX11 only game where you don't have anything to compare it to.
Does that automatically make it a bad example? Asynchronous compute is not the be-all end-all of DirectX 12, there is more to it than that.

Im not sure I agree with you on that one, AMD got quite the performance increase with the latest patch. Especially the average framerate.
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/...e_tomb_raider_directx_12_performance_update/5

There is a lot of quite interesting information in 3Dmarks latest press release regarding the debacle about async and how it works.
http://www.futuremark.com/pressreleases/a-closer-look-at-asynchronous-compute-in-3dmark-time-spy

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Factory overclocks often leave a lot on the table, but not always as some chips cannot get much higher without instability.
Part of that is warranty long life concerns, but the other part is to allow enthusiasts the experience of discovering how far their cards can go.

Non of this answer my questions though.
If factory overclocks leave a lot on the table....then why dont they just push the clocks further?
Some chips cannot do it? ok...leave those lower then, I realize there is a problem with pricing if one card runs faster then the other, but if all cards consistently can be bumped 10% in an area, then why does it not get that speed to begin with?
Long life concerns, so does the more expensive EVGA FTW edition cards that are clocked higher last less long then the standard cards? If so do we know how significantly less?
The experience of discovering, so thats it then?, we all just want to needlessly tinker when that factory could do that for us really?

Just a sidenote on this. Almost every game that uses Gameworks is using PhysX/FleX in some form. They do not usually require a GPU for it though.

aka my point still stands.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X570-E
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U12A
Memory G.Skill FlareX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 DUAL
Storage 1 TB WD Black SN850X | 2 TB WD Blue SN570 | 10 TB WD Purple Pro
Display(s) LG 32QP880N 32"
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse Pulsar X2
Keyboard KIRA EXS

The DirectX12 implementation in RotTR seems to benefit more on lower end system and in the graphically-heavy area of the game.
Here's my benchmark result running my GTX 970 with FX 6300 at stock clock (slow CPU + mainstream GPU) :

DX11 :

cpu-stock-dx11.png

DX12 :

cpu-stock-dx12.png

On the first and second benchmark scene, the performance gain is not big but it's still noticeably smoother when running DX12 because of better min and avg FPS, BUT look at the heaviest benchmark scene (3rd scene, Geothermal Valley), the improvement on minimum FPS is huge, almost twice from before, and the average FPS also improved a lot on this 3rd scene. With DX12 I also notice the much smoother and fluid gameplay when playing the game, FPS dips is a lot less compared to DX11 version.

So why reviewer didn't notice this? Because most of them test the game with high end CPU, their CPU is fast enough to handle the game so they won't really see the performance improvement.

I found that ComputerBase did a review with several CPUs (2 graphs from the bottom), and their results are similar to mine, performance gain is much more noticeable on a heavier scene (Soviet-Anlage/Soviet Installation is heavier than Basislager/Siberian Wilderness) AND also more noticeable on low end CPUS (i3 4330 and FX 6300).

System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
Non of this answer my questions though.
If factory overclocks leave a lot on the table....then why dont they just push the clocks further?
Some chips cannot do it? ok...leave those lower then, I realize there is a problem with pricing if one card runs faster then the other, but if all cards consistently can be bumped 10% in an area, then why does it not get that speed to begin with?
Long life concerns, so does the more expensive EVGA FTW edition cards that are clocked higher last less long then the standard cards? If so do we know how significantly less?
The experience of discovering, so thats it then?, we all just want to needlessly tinker when that factory could do that for us really?

aka my point still stands.

Using your example of EVGA FTW, the chips are sorted to be stable at that factory OC, while many of them are not capable of even 50Mhz more. This was true of even the Classified chips. These cards are only warrantied to run at the factory overclocks, with no promise of any further overhead. It's not as you say, usual or consistent to have a 10% increase manually, especially if the card is already factory OC'd.
The life of an overclocked chip that is OC varies due to the silicon quality. In the case of CPUs, the expected longevity of those chips are projected on stock speeds, which is why often a manual OC voids the warranty.
The experience of discovering is the fun part of the Silicon Lottery, as some chips will manually OC much further than others, while some hardly at all. It is a thrill to win the Lottery and get an uber chip that is stable as super high clock speeds.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
....I figured as much.... 1060 sli beats a 1080...... in Ashes so far....

I expect more reviewers will be exploring Dx12 potential to combine any two cards as more game support arrives or nvdia/amd blocks it......

Last edited: