• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Unboxing

alexander brett

Um, sorry for all the posts, I don't get it, so nVidia reference cards are now going to dump hot air into the case? Uh... this may end poorly for people it seems to me.

I have only used an Apple 2E. I'm very fortunate. OSX makes me want to punch babies.

I can see that b/c apple was doing useless aesthetics early on.

That's too bad. UNIX is a superior kernel and OS X is still far more secure than Windows, but it can be frustrating and they seem completely uninterested in fixing the basic usability issues that have existed since the mid-90's so yeah I hear ya there. Unfortunaely Windows 10 is spyware written by an advertising company now. Linux would be nice if there were games and pro applications for it, and drivers, and...

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Linux would be nice if there were games and pro applications for it, and drivers, and...

My holy grail of gaming is not ray tracing. It is the proliferation of Vulkan and the abandonment of DirectX. Freeing us from the hot trash that is Windows. Then we can worry about other things.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
That card looks great, and I really want one. Was worth an entry in the hottest graphics card thread, here.

Um, sorry for all the posts, I don't get it, so nVidia reference cards are now going to dump hot air into the case? Uh... this may end poorly for people it seems to me.

Ever done an air flow test with a fog machine on a box with blower style cooler ? especially builds with AIOs installed on CPUs with rad fans contrary to manufacturer's instructions and air blowing out of the case ?

1. Blower style coolers never OC as well as this style of cooler and upper tier blower style coolers almost always experience throttling; that's why nVidia finally made the switch.

2. Air in = air out ... If you have a properly designed case with adequate fan mounts, it will have positive pressure and will push that air out anyway. Dust is a secondary concern with neg pressure ... the extra heat is the primary concern.

3. I have never received a response to the question as to exactly what component the user is concerned about being exposed to inside case air which typically = ambient air + 2 - 3C . The air inside the case is typically exhausted 1 - 2 times a second, not a lot of time to . I have seen no manufacturer's warning saying 25C is OK but 27C will lead to premature failure or performance impacts.

4. Our test box has 5 x 140mm of rad and 6 temperature sensors. One sensor in and out of each rad, a ambient air and interior case air temp sensor diplayed on a 6 channel display on case front accurate to 0.1C. A fog machine is used to show air flow.

5. With a blower style cooler, and especially an AIO with fans installed blowing air out, using the fog machine exhausting benind the case, you immediately see the case fill with fog. With the AIO fans blowing out and the card blowing out significant negative pressure is created thereby drawing air into the case. And the path of least resistance is the rear case grille and those vented slot covers. So all that hot air exhausted by that 250 watt card ... as well as that 750 watt PSU, is being sucked right back into the case. If it wasn't ... the fog directed behind the case would bot be inside the case.

My holy grail of gaming is not ray tracing. It is the proliferation of Vulkan and the abandonment of DirectX. Freeing us from the hot trash that is Windows. Then we can worry about other things.

Remember when "Mantle was gong to change everything" ?.... It didn't. How about "HBM is gong to change everything" ?.... It didn't either. Worry about other things then ? Freedom from Windows ? ... been waiting 25+ years. don't see that happening any time soon.

Last edited:
System Name KC
Processor Intel Core i7 5820K
Motherboard Asrock X99M Killer
Cooling Corsair H75
Memory 16 GB Crucial DDR4 2133
Video Card(s) Evga GTX980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage 2 x Crucial MX100 512GB in RAID 0
Display(s) Dell 24" ultrasharp circa 2006
Case Lian Li midtower
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio is first class
Power Supply Seasonic gold 750w
Mouse Logitech Laser G5
Keyboard Logitech low end
Software Windows 8.1
Benchmark Scores Firestrike 11996
It's little bizarre for both a 6 and 8 pin can't see this card running to a 300w power use, it's rumoured to be well under 200W. It only needs one 8 pin , the 6 pin is both overkill and marketing overreach using the old more is better philosophy. Or is this new card a return to the Nvidia room heater cards of the past? A Smaller and more environmentally acceptable packaging is needed. "Apple" has compact packaging, get rid of the "foam" and replace with ribbed cardboard. Ship in a plain box with an address label so it doesn't need repackaging by the distributor. Get rid of instruction manuals and literature and the addon plugs (if people need adapters they should buy them). Fancy boxes are a waste of money they only end up in the bin. We're geeks we don't need to be marketed too.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Remember when "Mantle was gong to change everything" ?.... It didn't. How about "HBM is gong to change everything" ?.... It didn't either. Worry about other things then ? Freedom from Windows ? ... been waiting 25+ years. don't see that happening any time soon.

Kinda like RTX I suppose.

Linus had the best Unboxing

The Unboxing You've ALL Been Waiting For...

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember

You're actually quite wrong. Mantle forced the dipshits at MS to finally move on from DX11 and it helped give rise to Vulkan. HBM is used on every high performance enterpise card made and likely most every performance oriented vid card in the future (including APUs of all sorts) and eventually into embedded. It's currently limited by production issues and supply constraint that's worsened by the coalition of greed. It is the future just as a low level API is. It's like everything else. AMD does it first, it's later adopted, then people pretend AMD never does anything. It's a really old joke at this point.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Lamest Unboxing? Here's my unboxing of a Dell GTX 1060 6gb still in antistatic bag that I got on Wednesday. :D
View attachment 106889

You can have any color, as long as its black :)

That card looks great, and I really want one. Was worth an entry in the hottest graphics card thread, here.

You want everything with an Nvidia sticker on it, don't fool yourself :p

You're actually quite wrong. Mantle forced the dipshits at MS to finally move on from DX11 and it helped give rise to Vulkan. HBM is used on every high performance enterpise card made and likely most every performance oriented vid card in the future (including APUs of all sorts) and eventually into embedded. It's currently limited by production issues and supply constraint that's worsened by the coalition of greed. It is the future just as a low level API is. It's like everything else. AMD does it first, it's later adopted, then people pretend AMD never does anything. It's a really old joke at this point.

Great. Look at all those Vulkan and DX12 powered games bringing us a revolutionary bunch of experiences... *ahem* How are you liking that Crossfire and SLI support on the new APIs? I remember how everyone was like 'omg mGPU support is going to change our world'... yup. Look what happened to that, when it becomes a devs' job to facilitate it.

'AMD does it first'... not really. AMD just has lousy timing for most developments and timing is a key factor in adoption of new innovations. Low level APIs were in the pipeline for a long time and always have been. DX12 didn't drop out of thin air, its a myth that Mantle pushed MS towards anything. DX12 was and is meant to better scale performance across cores and this primarily serves entry performance and small form factor devices, plus the weak, many core consoles that MS likes to release. It also fits into MS's strategy for One Windows and their push into the hardware market.

This is also why you see the more serious gaming still primarily happening on DX11. Devs dont give a flying hoot what API they use and DX11 is feature complete, widely supported and costs a lot less work to get results. Alongside that, the new APIs don't offer noticeable additional performance for this market anyway.

Use of a low level API is a design choice and not always the better one.

Last edited:
System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Nicest Founders Edition for now.
Performance are great 100%. I believed in that even before some tests show up.

It's little bizarre for both a 6 and 8 pin can't see this card running to a 300w power use, it's rumoured to be well under 200W. It only needs one 8 pin , the 6 pin is both overkill and marketing overreach using the old more is better philosophy. Or is this new card a return to the Nvidia room heater cards of the past? A Smaller and more environmentally acceptable packaging is needed. "Apple" has compact packaging, get rid of the "foam" and replace with ribbed cardboard. Ship in a plain box with an address label so it doesn't need repackaging by the distributor. Get rid of instruction manuals and literature and the addon plugs (if people need adapters they should buy them). Fancy boxes are a waste of money they only end up in the bin. We're geeks we don't need to be marketed too.
Eh? Per Kyle at Bitwit:

2080: TDP 225W
2080Ti: TDP 260W

Eh? Per Kyle at Bitwit:

2080: TDP 225W
2080Ti: TDP 260W

The TDPs # are in the Turing whitepaper

Nvidia said:
2080 TI = 250w (Ref) / 260w (FE)
2080 = 215w (Ref) / 225w (FE)
2070 = 175w (Ref) / 185w (FE)
* VirtualLink™/USB Type-C™ connector requires up to an additional 35 W of power that is not represented in this power figure.

Last edited:
System Name The RedBreathe "UniRig"
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core | 4.8GHz overclocked / all cores
Motherboard MSI Z170I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX
Cooling Corsair H45 AiO CLC
Memory Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (RED)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING Z 8G
Storage 960 EVO M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 250GB (SYS)|860 Pro 512GB|850 EVO 500GB|Toshiba 3TB 3.5", 7.2krpm
Display(s) ASUS PB277Q Gaming - 27" 2K WQHD (2560 x 1440), 1ms, up to 75Hz
Case NZXT Manta Black/Red mITX
Audio Device(s) MoBo built-in
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX PSU + Cablemod Base Cable Kit Red/Black
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming
Keyboard Logitech G410 Atlas Spectrum RGB Wired Mechanical Tournament Gaming
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores TIME SPY=6933|F.STRIKE=18160|F.STRIKE X=9510|CinebenchR15=1015|Unigine SP 1080P EXT=4026|XTU=1561
Well, I appreciate the new, functionally superior and overall minimalist RTX design. I also find it beneficial to move away from blower-style cooling in the Founders Edition. Excited by the possibilities of mature RT technology of the future and at the same time disappointed with the launching prices.

Regarding the perfect Apple-like style packaging: I just wonder how many ordinary gamers who bought high-end iPhone models in the price range of 800-1100 Euros will also like to buy nVidia RTX for a similar price? Yesterday I found a new ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti for 550-580 Euros in a second-hand eshop. I'm going to buy - in about half the price we're likely to get only - let's say 25% less performance on average (compared to RTX 2080 Ti / FE) in most of the games. What now and in the near future (1-2 years) for my needs - and I assume that even for most players - will be enough.
Waiting for RTX 3080 Ti. :)

I'm curious how will be nVidia successfull in convincing the market that the real-time RT is really needed - unless it shows a clear benefit throughout the game, in every scene at an affordable price. And so I'm curious as to what new breakthrough technology in discrete graphics cards wants to surprise AMD.

And something else: why RTX 2070 will not support SLI?
That would be performance in games not optimized for RT that we would get about the price of two AiB cards RTX 2070 / + / Ti (comparable to the price of one RTX 2080 Ti FE) - substantially higher? :banghead:

Bit of a dumb move by Nvidia to switch from a blower design to axial when the AIB cards will be available at launch lol.

Previously the reference card had two reasons to buy it over better AIB cards, 1: it launched weeks/months in advance, 2: It had a blower so could exhaust air if that was a requirement. Now it has zero reasons to buy it over the better AIB cards (aesthetics are a subjective preference not a reason).

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
How are you liking that Crossfire and SLI support on the new APIs? I remember how everyone was like 'omg mGPU support is going to change our world'... yup. Look what happened to that, when it becomes a devs' job to facilitate it.

And thank God for that, SLI and Crossfire are inept technologies incompatible with modern rendering methods that should have been abandoned long ago.

At this point they are just a marketing tool to make gullible customers with deep pocket buy multiple cards (looking ostensibly at that NVLink connection on these cards).

Last edited: