• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30-Series GPU Availability to Reportedly Worsen in Q1

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
he competition was simply absent for half a decade
Let's not blow it out of proportion, shall we?
Lack of competition started in mid 2016 with 1080.
In 3 years, Ryzen AMD rolled out 5700Xt, which its mid range.
And a year later, 6900XT that beat much pricier, power hungry, wider mem bus wielding, faster memory equipped "teh best" Huang had at... newest games. :) (but even without SAM, which gives a nice 5%-ish boost on avg)

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
This. The market has moved in this direction for decades, it was clear as day and we all let it happen. We enabled Nvidia's current dominance, let us not forget that - and I still stand by it because realistically, the competition was simply absent for half a decade, so what else can you expect.

Now that the playing field has somewhat levelled, we would do wise to keep an open mind to both big brands, as we always might have - because now there truly is something to choose and as we have seen choices do matter. Buying into proprietary tech now, might not be the wise next move as a consumer for the long term - the development will happen anyway, and it'll likely happen in a better way with more equal market forces fighting each other.

Ergo if you want progress now's the time to vote and make the right long term choice. Not saying everyone should buy AMD - but weigh both colors honestly and perhaps discount the per-title advantages you find in green, because they're not geared towards long term presence as they are now.
Help us Intel’s Xe graphics. You're our only hope....we are f@#$ed

And a year later, 6900XT that beat much pricier, power hungry, wider mem bus wielding, faster memory equipped "teh best" Huang had at... newest games. :) (but even without SAM, which gives a nice 5%-ish boost on avg)
I think you forgot the RX 590, the power of an overclocked RX 580 with the added value of being a small space heater.

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I think you forgot the RX 590, the power of an overclocked RX 580 with the added value of being a small space heater.
I would not count that as mid range presence, nor Vega's, including 7nm one.
First true competitive mid range products came 3 years after 1080, the 5700 series.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Governments need to hurry the hell up and tax/regulate crypto. All those Terawatts of wasted energy just being used to pointlessly crunch money; So much for environmental responsibility....

Crypto is already taxed and regulated FYI.

I definitely wouldn't call crypto worthless. It stands to replace current payments systems by having far lower fees and requiring much less effort to setup global payment systems (a keystone of modern eCommerce).

No, I agree with the other guy. Rory read took over AMD and his goal for AMD's graphics division was heterogeneous architecture. "The future is fusion", remember that? He did not care for high-end GPUs. The R9 200 and R9 300 series were both under his tenure and neither were given much in the way of resources. The 200 series was competitive off the back of how great GCN was, not because it was any leap on it's own. The 300 series was just a refresh of the 200 series and it was pretty obvious at this point that AMD was no longer focusing on high end GPUs.

The only thing you could tell from the 5700XT is that AMD has the potential to compete should they roll out a future generation of cards with that architecture. Only rolling out a portion of a generation is not what I'd call competing, they gave Nvidia the most lucrative portion of the market for free.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Lack of competition started with Polaris and Fury X. AMD could not formulate a proper answer to Maxwell and they managed to keep that up until Ampere. Prior to that, AMD had a solid architecture but managed to bork release after release in one way or another, screw up PR in a big way, or otherwise fumble something along the way. The examples are numerous, the biggest one echoing through them all being 'time to market'. With Kepler and its refresh they were on the ball. After that, they really weren't.

And the 5700XT... you can claim it was competing, but it wasn't exactly a smooth ride either and really didn't have any USPs besides price... the eternal grail for AMD the past ten years - price/perf. So what really changed with that GPU? Its only NOW that they truly have competitive architecture and something that is somehow better.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
System Name RaGe Red
Processor AMD 3960X
Motherboard Asus Zenith Extreme 2 Alpha
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 64GB of 3800 DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus 2080 Ti / EVGA KP 3090
Storage SSD
Case Wetbench
Power Supply EVGA 1600W P Series
Benchmark Scores Check RageSet at HWBot
What in the hell is up with some of the commentary in this thread? I understand the frustration of not being able to secure some of these products but some of you are coming off as entitled.

These are luxury entertainment products. Not essential. I know it sucks but it could be far worse. Like...I don't know...being homeless.

If you try to say you use them for work, you wouldn't be here complaining about pricing.

Guys and gals, it's going to be okay. We will get through this.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
What in the hell is up with some of the commentary in this thread? I understand the frustration of not being able to secure some of these products but some of you are coming off as entitled.

These are luxury entertainment products. Not essential. I know it sucks but it could be far worse. Like...I don't know...being homeless.

If you try to say you use them for work, you wouldn't be here complaining about pricing.

Guys and gals, it's going to be okay. We will get through this.
Haha, you'll get through this with your 2080Ti :)

Think of the poor people running GTX 960 and 1060 cards who just want their regular mainstream upgrade but Turing was a rip-off at a much higher price point than previous xx60 cards and Ampere has been hyped for 12 months but they still can't buy one.

Nobody is going to die because of GPU shortages, but home entertainment is centre-stage right now. GPUs are arguably more relevant and important since 2020 than they have been in a very long time; Perhaps since the dawn of consumer 3D accelerator cards...

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121

Think of the poor people running GTX 960 and 1060 cards who just want their regular mainstream upgrade but Turing was a rip-off at a much higher price point than previous xx60 cards and Ampere has been hyped for 12 months but they still can't buy one.

Nobody is going to die because of GPU shortages, but home entertainment is centre-stage right now. GPUs are arguably more relevant and important since 2020 than they have been in a very long time; Perhaps since the dawn of consumer 3D accelerator cards...
It's not just that but also all the people that have been watching Youtube for the past year and get cards that are compelling for purchase. As a result the fact that the 6800XT is more than 50% less than the 3090 while being just as fast with SAM enabled in most Games means they will not be in high supply for some time. There are 25 6000 series card on Canada Computers and you have to watch 24/7 to see stock updates by store (across the country). Then if you have an MSI board you are happy to learn that you don't need to change your board to take advantage of SAM. Then you learn that the 3000 series Nvida cards will get SAM support? The most frustrating thing about the phenomenon is the mining craze (Nice hash is so painless it is not funny) means that you can make up to $15 US a day mining(right now). The 6800XT is about 80% faster than the Vega 64 at mining but the caveat is that the Vega system is a 2920X and the 6800XT is a 5600X.

System Name RaGe Red
Processor AMD 3960X
Motherboard Asus Zenith Extreme 2 Alpha
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 64GB of 3800 DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus 2080 Ti / EVGA KP 3090
Storage SSD
Case Wetbench
Power Supply EVGA 1600W P Series
Benchmark Scores Check RageSet at HWBot

Based off your assertion, you are saying that GPUs are essential. Interesting. So reading a good book isn't home entertainment? Watching a movie isn't either. You can see where I'm going with this, right?

As for my 2080 Ti, it is mostly used for work; the same for the other GPUs I have in my workstations. The only card I have for entertainment purposes is my 3090 KP card and that is overclocking. Could I survive without the KP card? Yes.

My point is some people in this thread are pulling out some crazy conspiracy theories and are acting like having the latest luxury entertainment products is a right. It's not.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Based off your assertion, you are saying that GPUs are essential.
No, that really isn't what I wrote. You made some bad assumptions, I think.

On a scale of 0 (unimportant) to 100 (essential) something changing from 1 to 2 is "more important" but still nowhere near "essential". That's just an example, I'm not even going to try to place PC gaming on a 0-100 scale and it'll likely be different for each individual. I'm just saying that it has a higher importance now than it did pre-COVID.

If you read any more into it that that then you're having an argument with your own internal demons because that's literally all I said regarding the importance of GPUs.

As for the two of us, both of us have hardware good enough to play everything on the market, effectively removing our right to comment with any authority on the needs of those who want to play demanding new games but don't have the hardware to run them. Not that it matters for me at the moment, all I'm playing recently is Factorio which runs on a potato.

Last edited:
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Lack of competition started with Polaris and Fury X.
Lack of competition started with Polaris.
Fury X beat it's direct competitor, 980Ti, which was even rolled out specifically to counter Fury X, at 4k, as per TPUs benchmarks. (later on, also at 1440p). Even though it was stock vs stock and 980Ti OCed very well (including factory OCes), that is not even remotely comparable to Polaris and beyond situation.

And the 5700XT... you can claim it was competing, but it wasn't exactly a smooth ride either and really didn't have any USPs besides price..
Starting with Polaris, AMD lacked reasonable offerrings in MID and HIGH end of the market.
5700 series clearly and unambiguously, starting with pricnig, power consumption and performance and ending with actual sales, addressed the MID market issue.
That was merely 3 years after Polaris vs Pascal.

And just one year later, we have 6900XT laughing at 3090.

That is the "half a decade" for ya.