• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition Pictured

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
WTF are you trying to say? What point are you trying to make with those convoluted sentences?
that is the million dollar question now, aint it?

that is the million dollar question now, aint it?
If you can't even rephrase it in a more coherent way, what should I expect from getting by figuring out the content of your post like Sherlock Holmes?

If you are implying that Nvidia and AMD are directly and illegally collaborating to increase prices, you better follow up with some proof for that. Besides that, they don't even really need that. They can already pretty much calculate what margins they can demand by just closely following what the other does (like they have done since forever). To lower prices, you just need to increase competition. Until that competition magically appears, we will have to live with this. How do you solve this problem? Breaking these companies up makes very little sense to me since the intellectual property needs to be concentrated to build something as complex as a GPU. You can't break them up and not cripple them in some way.

Last edited:
System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Hero (soon to be replaced by Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master)
Cooling 360mm Be Quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood; is currently Razer Basilisk V3; Basilisk Ultimate for gaming
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently HyperX Alloy Origins 65
I'm attributing the whole fuss about scalpers and limited supply/high demand to the current day fashion of 'everyone is special' / 'Entitlement generation'. Everyone must have the latest greatest, because otherwise you don't count or you're a lesser person, or something. I'm not sure how people expect to keep up that rat race and keep a healthy financial situation. That only happens on social media (or 'Teevee').

Not gonna lie, this pretty much sums up the whole DIY PC building "hobby" to me. I've felt that way about it ever since I got my start in the "hobby" with an FX-6100. It's like, if you don't have A or B, you're shit. Or if you have X or Y instead of A and B, you're shit. And finally, if you happen to have X and B, or A and Y, oh, yeah, you're also shit! It's too much, I tell you.

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage SSD: Team 512GB NVMe + Team 2TB SATA || HDD: 2x WD VRaptor 500GB & 2x WD Blue 4TB
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software win 10 amd64
Who the fuck knows on what foundry what is made? It's a resource war, anyway.

every knowledgeable PC enthusiast? ;)
NVIDIA ampere uses samsung's 8nm
AMD exclusively use TSMC 7nm to print their big navi GPUs, zen 3 cores and semi-custom consoles SoCs (PS 5 & xbox series s + x)

You need pretty much the same precious metals and workers for both. That's all in high demand right now, I would say, especially because of the new Consoles coming out. Would be more so, if it was on the same foundry, but it doesn't have to be to have an effect.
blame apple.
sony sold 155 million units PS 2 (the most successfull console, ever) within it's 12 year production
apple only sold 37.7 million iPhone 11 in H1 2020, you know 1st half, right? 6 months.

anyway, i don't think wafer is the issue.

I thought Sony and MS were licensing the ZEN CPUs and GPUs (so they don't take AMD wafers) - they have to order them built from foundries when they want them themselves ?

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Wafer is not the issue and the supply of wafers are coming in. TSMC's revenue for this year or the last quarter was up 25%(if I'm remember correctly) Apple and AMD are the main takers for the 7nm wafers. Samsung's 8nm for NV is basically unoccupied by anything major except NV. So the question still remains where the hell all of this is going since we don't have anything at stock?
Would the reason be the end of a fiscal year? New budgets, new projects and tax returns which are damn huge. If that's true, and I think it is, we will have a lot GPUs January and that is where the scheduled stock still remains for NV. AMD said the same thing. January. For both companies is to open the year with a sales boom.

Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Hero (soon to be replaced by Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master)
Cooling 360mm Be Quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Mouse Varies based on mood; is currently Razer Basilisk V3; Basilisk Ultimate for gaming
Wafer is not the issue and the supply of wafers are coming in. TSMC's revenue for this year or the last quarter was up 25%(if I'm remember correctly) Apple and AMD are the main takers for the 7nm wafers. Samsung's 8nm for NV is basically unoccupied by anything major except NV. So the question still remains where the hell all of this is going since we don't have anything at stock?
Would the reason be the end of a fiscal year? New budgets, new projects and tax returns which are damn huge. If that's true, and I think it is, we will have a lot GPUs January and that is where the scheduled stock still remains for NV. AMD said the same thing. January. For both companies is to open the year with a sales boom.

I sure hope you're right about that...

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
I sure hope you're right about that...
Is it a coincidence that both NV and AMD have a supply issue while on different nodes? Is it a coincidence that both NV and AMD are scheduled to have supply sorted by January? Is it a coincidence that both companies ending the fiscal year basically now? Closing on the projects and prepare budgets for next year?
You produce cards this year at the end and of course you pay shit load of tax that can be returned (due to profits being low and blame corona for it) and the graphics cards they have produced leave for the next year to get piles of cash for it and that would boost the next years income. Stocks for both are basically stable and with new year they will sky rock with all the sales.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
How do you compare insurance to GPU business? Pretty much anyone can make up and sell an insurance policy. Only a handful of companies in the whole world can make GPUs. Only 2 companies can make high-end GPUs. In the whole world... Do you see any kind of shortage like that for insurance companies? Of course they can demand bigger margins...

They cán demand bigger margins indeed. Did I ever say they couldn't? I think you need to re-read what I said earlier about margins. My response was towards the supposed high cost of wafers driving prices up - they can easily still be lower. Of course they won't be. But they can.

The example I gave serves to show business can thrive with very tight margins as well.

Not gonna lie, this pretty much sums up the whole DIY PC building "hobby" to me. I've felt that way about it ever since I got my start in the "hobby" with an FX-6100. It's like, if you don't have A or B, you're shit. Or if you have X or Y instead of A and B, you're shit. And finally, if you happen to have X and B, or A and Y, oh, yeah, you're also shit! It's too much, I tell you.
This is a good life lesson to always take your own counsel on things. Your own opinion about yourself should always matter more than someone else's. Especially from some rich kids on the internet.

every knowledgeable PC enthusiast? ;)
NVIDIA ampere uses samsung's 8nm
AMD exclusively use TSMC 7nm to print their big navi GPUs, zen 3 cores and semi-custom consoles SoCs (PS 5 & xbox series s + x)
I've read an article that stated Nvidia is trying to expand into other foundries right now. I think it was even TSMC. But the problem is that TSMC is overbooked right now. This also drives prices up at Samsung. That's how competition works.

Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
This is a good life lesson to always take your own counsel on things. Your own opinion about yourself should always matter more than someone else's. Especially from some rich kids on the internet.

Agreed. Alas, peer-pressure, as they say, is a mother fucker, and is even worse today thanks in part to social media and all these so-called tech youtubers (I can count the good ones on one hand) and is made worse by the companies that make the parts -- "true gamers" buy the ultimate crap while the "noobs and teh peasants" buy the "garbage" even though said garbage is still extremely capable of doing whatever needs doing.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Agreed. Alas, peer-pressure, as they say, is a mother fucker, and is even worse today thanks in part to social media and all these so-called tech youtubers (I can count the good ones on one hand) and is made worse by the companies that make the parts -- "true gamers" buy the ultimate crap while the "noobs and teh peasants" buy the "garbage" even though said garbage is still extremely capable of doing whatever needs doing.
You said it bro. Totally agree. What I'm concerned about is, it might get even worse. Damn I hope I ain't right :/

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage SSD: Team 512GB NVMe + Team 2TB SATA || HDD: 2x WD VRaptor 500GB & 2x WD Blue 4TB
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software win 10 amd64
I've read an article that stated Nvidia is trying to expand into other foundries right now. I think it was even TSMC. But the problem is that TSMC is overbooked right now. This also drives prices up at Samsung. That's how competition works.
still, i can't see a connection between latest console demand with ampere supply issue as they are in different foundry :confused:

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
By comparing only to 6800 I would argue the opposite, but let see other rdna2 chips first. Sure if amd want's they could cut down navi21 more and take a hit on revenue side just to be perf/$ king, but I really doubt we will see any lower end variants of that chip.
Have you checked what chips are in next gen consoles? :D

Is it a coincidence that both NV and AMD have a supply issue while on different nodes? Is it a coincidence that both NV and AMD are scheduled to have supply sorted by January?

NV has "supply issues" because it actually doesn't want to sell 3080 for $700, but 3070 cannot compete with Big Navi, so here is the trainwreck between 3070 and 3090 (both are quite availablea, although even 3070 costs more than 700 euro, mind you).

AMD has "supply issues" because it just has finalized design of its GPU and demand is very strong, boosted by a number of reasons, from AMD being back into high end GPUs, to AMD lastly beating Intel even at gaming.

still, i can't see a connection between latest console demand with ampere supply issue as they are in different foundry :confused:
I explained that in my first post, dude. Foundries can't expand and contract at will. They can't just double their workforce and output one day and fire half of the workers when they don't need them. Hiring is often an even bigger problem than firing. They have to allocate limited manpower that they do have to certain production like consoles, which drives prices up for anything else. It could even lead to prices skyrocketing in other foundries because other companies may try to move their orders to them from that console foundry. I've worked in different manufacturing companies before and that was pretty much the lay of the land.

Last edited:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

Well Nvidia also kind of dropped the ball when they tried to flex on TSMC by threatening to go to Samsung because its a cheaper node, so they could release Ampere for cheaper MSRP. Now they are back tracking that and trying to get their Ampere refresh and Ti cards done with TSMC because Samsungs process is doo doo.

I explained that in my first post, dude. Foundries can't expand and contract at will. They have to allocate limited manpower that they have to certain production like consoles, which drives prices up for anything else. It could even lead to prices skyrocketing in other foundries because other companies may try to move their orders to a different foundry.

I think there seems to be a thing like a global pandemic going on affecting supply chains of almost everything related to electronics.

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software win 10 amd64
I explained that in my first post, dude. Foundries can't expand and contract at will. They can't just double their workforce and output one day and fire half of the workers when they don't need them. Hiring is often an even bigger problem than firing. They have to allocate limited manpower that they do have to certain production like consoles, which drives prices up for anything else. It could even lead to prices skyrocketing in other foundries because other companies may try to move their orders to them from that console foundry. I've worked in different manufacturing companies before and that was pretty much the lay of the land.
it doesn't make sense. chip designer buy foundry capacity with wafer agreement, basically paid for each wafer that will go through lithography process, so the price is already set for that node (AFAIK per wafer in, not per good chip out), not as simple as "hey, i made you the chip but now you have to pay me more to get this"

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
it doesn't make sense. chip designer buy foundry capacity with wafer agreement, basically paid for each wafer that will go through lithography process, so the price is already set for that node (AFAIK per wafer in, not per good chip out), not as simple as "hey, i made you the chip but now you have to pay me more to get this"

Chip designers usually have options, but thats pretty much it for the most part. Its a per wafer sort of thing.

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software win 10 amd64
Chip designers usually have options, but thats pretty much it for the most part. Its a per wafer sort of thing.
IIRC, they used to have options to buy per good chip out from foundry, before half node being popular, i think pre 28nm, when all lithography have things in common, before gate-first / gate-last stuff happening.........

50% of the comments are "its too damn expensive"
50% of the remaining comments "capitalism working as intended, also higher $$$ is the new budget boomer"

There is Zero stock of any green-maker card. Wont be for another 4 months, then we get some MSRP action.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
50% of the comments are "its too damn expensive"
50% of the remaining comments "capitalism working as intended, also higher $$$ is the new budget boomer"

There is Zero stock of any green-maker card. Wont be for another 4 months, then we get some MSRP action.
Why not both? :laugh:
They are too expensive, and it is capitalism at work.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
NV has "supply issues" because it actually doesn't want to sell 3080 for $700, but 3070 cannot compete with Big Navi, so here is the trainwreck between 3070 and 3090 (both are quite availablea, although even 3070 costs more than 700 euro, mind you).

AMD has "supply issues" because it just has finalized design of its GPU and demand is very strong, boosted by a number of reasons, from AMD being back into high end GPUs, to AMD lastly beating Intel even at gaming.
What you say, for me, seems more of a random or spontaneous behavior which I think it isn't. It was planned and companies know about it and they plan releases.
The cards are not available for me. Ebay, amazon or any other such websites are not considered selling sites by legit retailers/etailers NV or AMD products only. Most cards being sold there are from private people who got the card and resell it to get a profit.

So one wafer can cost x and the next same wafer can cost more, am I seeing this right?

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Fractal Design G
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
So one wafer can cost x and the next same wafer can cost more, am I seeing this right?
Yes you do see it right what he said although that's not true. The wafers are same price according to a contract for delivery signed by both companies for whatever number of wafers produced in a time frame. More you take cheaper it gets. What i think he was trying to say is the price for wafer is not set the same for everybody but it depends on who and how many will purchase. For instance, AMD gets products done on the TSMC's 7nm node and that's a lot of products. I'm sure they get discounts for a regular price in the contracts. Same goes for Apple I assume.
Why this is valid? Because each company needs to have a settled price to make an estimate of how much they can produce and what would be the final products price. Not to mentioned give a discount to AIBs and other companies willing to get their hands on the product. In case if each wafer cost is priced differently, like @MxPhenom 216 mentioned, they could not do it and planning would go out of a window. None of the companies can afford to have that insecurity of price.

Bubble99

Too much demand, too little supply. Usually by this time of the cycle the last gen would be selling at clearance but its clearly not the case.

How can there be Xbox shortage , PlayStation shortage, AMD GPU shortage, AMD CPU shortage and now this?

They have no be fixing this like RAM shortage in the past to increased the profits.