• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA: GPU Supply to Improve in the Second Half of 2022

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
The current global pandemic has brought a lot of issues to the gaming community from all around the world. As there were emerging supply chain problems to deliver the latest hardware, especially GPUs, many consumers were left without a choice to obtain their special hardware at a reasonable price or even get a GPU at all. Those problems are soon going to get resolved, at least on NVIDIA's front. According to NVIDIA CFO's Colette Kress speech at the UBS Global TMT conference on Monday, the supply of NVIDIA graphics cards will improve in the second half of 2022.

"The company as a whole will take the appropriate work to continue to procure more supply," said Mrs. Kress. "We've been able to grow quite well during this year, each quarter, sequentially growing. And we do continue to plan to do that for Q4. So we believe we will be in a better situation in terms of supply when we look at the second half of next year." Another interesting tidbit was that the company has entered longer-term agreements with the supply chain, and that "longer-term can be more than a year." That could indicate that years could take before these agreements finalize and we see the results in better supply capacity, so nothing is certain at this point.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua U12S
Memory 32GB @ 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) AMD 6800XT
Storage WD Black SN850(1TB), WD Black NVMe 2018(500GB), WD Blue SATA(2TB)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G9
Case Be Quiet! Silent Base 802
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME-GX-1000
Here's hoping we see enough supply that non-miners/scalpers can get ahold of GPU's at a reasonable price. It almost feels like this is just a case of anticipation of the next-gen GPU's coming out, slowing demand for the current-gen GPU's, so supply will go up simply because of miners/scalpers will be waiting for the next-gen.

Cryptomarket will crash way way before that and then gpu supplies will make gpus even cheaper, it will have the opposite effect we are facing at moment. GPUS will get cheaper every day, every new day will have cheaper and cheaper gpus in the market, hold your wallets gamers, every week and every friday till the end of 2024 will be a gpu black friday.

I'll believe it when I see it, honestly. I think there will be a combination of factors that could make it easier to obtain decent GPUs, though.

1. Crypto-market crashes. It feels like a certainty that eventually it will crash, and the scalpers/farmers/miners will offload their stock onto the market.
2. New generation of GPUs. When the 4000 series arrives ostensibly the 3000 series GPUs will flood the used GPU market as those people buy up the 4000-series GPUs. But I don't know if I see that happening right away unless there's enough supply of 4000 series GPUs.

Cryptomarket will crash way way before that and then gpu supplies will make gpus even cheaper, it will have the opposite effect we are facing at moment. GPUS will get cheaper every day, every new day will have cheaper and cheaper gpus in the market, hold your wallets gamers, every week and every friday till the end of 2024 will be a gpu black friday.
There's quite a few alt coins that are profitable what I see happening is people will move to next highest increasing the difficulty until there are miners spread across a range of alt coins and moving as needed. Only thing I see easing miners interest in alt coins are the ever increasing fee's for transferring coins to something you can spend.

There are fears in Crypto market over bill which is going to be introduced in Indian parliament soon. Many Indians are selling off their crypto assets and India is one of the largest investors in Crypto over the fear of private crytos being made illegal.

Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Good news for Nvidia, I guess. Plenty of time to increase their MSRP's to bump up the profits.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Poor Intel. Entering market just as crypto crashes. Lost opportunity in 2021.

Oops, spoke too soon.

1638893341654.png

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Why 95% thinking it's fake news? Lisa Su said same thing chip shortage easing in H2 2022. And AMD never lies.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard X570 I Aorus Pro
Cooling Deepcool AG400
Memory HyperX Fury 2 x 8GB 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) RX 470 Nitro+ 4GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 512 / NV2 512
Display(s) 24G2U
Case NR200P
Power Supply Ion SFX 650
Mouse G703
Keyboard Keychron V1 (Akko Matcha Green) / Apex m500 (gateron milky yellow)
Software W10
Supply will improve, but the prices will not.
Who's willing to take a bet that the 3060(Ti) and 6600(XT) will never be sold at msrp.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
This supply chain stuff has gone too far. Sure it may be affecting the chip industry, but now EVERY industry is using it to increase their profits. Enough.

As an added note, I hope all the scalpers and their bots get stuck with tons of inventory they can't move.

Last edited:
System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
I have no doubt that supply will increase, as it usually does over time + planned increases in fab capacities... BUT I do not believe that this supply increase will translate in any way to increases in product availability at msrp within the retail channels. There is definitely a difference in the two.

I also do not believe at this point that it is possible for the either AMD or nVidia to saturate the channels in an attempt to "out supply" botting. The scalpers buying power has been increasing at an INSANE rate over the last year. Let's say that they are roughly doubling their money on each GPU sale. Perhaps Botter 'X' had enough extra cash in Sept 2020 to buy 3 cards at launch. They sold them instantaneously and now have the funds to buy 6 in the next group. They pull 6 more, sell them instantaneously, and now they have enough for 12 etc etc etc. for a year straight. And, you can see on tracking sites that drops did in fact happen somewhat regularly across the major e-tailers, albeit, for only minutes until they sold through. Now, add on every copy cat scalper that saw the $$$ early on and got on board, and their buying power increased tremendously with every sale. And then every regular person that reads yet another scalping article for the thousandth time only to realize that they could be making some good $$$ too, so they dip into botting. The people that are essentially trying to/have already built a scalping empire must have massive reserves on hand to just instantly vacuum up anything with an 'Add To Cart' button. The ONLY way to increase availability to the intended customers (no matter how much more supply is supposedly coming) is squarely on the retail and reseller channels to prevent botting/scalping. I have no idea how much influence nVidia and AMD have that far down stream...maybe none. I REALLY hope that both companies have spent this last year to take a very serious look at how the current sales model could be changed to allow fair buying practices for all customers.

I just don't see it happening any other way, the fabs are not going to ramp capacity at the same or greater rate than the buying power of scalpers.

Poor Intel. Entering market just as crypto crashes. Lost opportunity in 2021.

Oops, spoke too soon.

View attachment 227993
Yeah, I thought they would enter before 2022 then they would have profited a lot, even if Intel gpus are good, too much competition coming 2022 from ebay, craiglist and all second hand gpus in the market plus this news from nvidia and also amd stating their supply line will get better in 2022. I hope they don't give up on the gpu area.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
2022 is mostly talking about current fab capacity. I don't know that capacity will do much to ease supply, too many variables.

I will say 2023-2025 is probably going to result in a massive glut all over. Maybe not for Nvidia but certainly across the market.

We have Intel with a new fab in Ireland, and planning to start another one in 2022. The one starting in 2022 should be 2nm, but the other new one is a 16nm IDM fab and is already gearing up for orders from Qualcomm. Meanwhile they have two brand new fabs in Arizona, ETA 2024.

TSMC is building a new fab in Arizona as well and I believe a new one in Japan. Samsung is also building one in Tyler TX ETA 2025.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Hmmn, I think I might know when Intel's arc is out.

Nvidia is right, but it wont be because they magically outsmarted those crypto miners - it's because etherium is going stake by June

They wont have miners by-the-balls until LHR Etherium Detection forces all other GPU multi-tasking off

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I have no doubt that supply will increase, as it usually does over time + planned increases in fab capacities... BUT I do not believe that this supply increase will translate in any way to increases in product availability at msrp within the retail channels. There is definitely a difference in the two.

I also do not believe at this point that it is possible for the either AMD or nVidia to saturate the channels in an attempt to "out supply" botting. The scalpers buying power has been increasing at an INSANE rate over the last year. Let's say that they are roughly doubling their money on each GPU sale. Perhaps Botter 'X' had enough extra cash in Sept 2020 to buy 3 cards at launch. They sold them instantaneously and now have the funds to buy 6 in the next group. They pull 6 more, sell them instantaneously, and now they have enough for 12 etc etc etc. for a year straight. And, you can see on tracking sites that drops did in fact happen somewhat regularly across the major e-tailers, albeit, for only minutes until they sold through. Now, add on every copy cat scalper that saw the $$$ early on and got on board, and their buying power increased tremendously with every sale. And then every regular person that reads yet another scalping article for the thousandth time only to realize that they could be making some good $$$ too, so they dip into botting. The people that are essentially trying to/have already built a scalping empire must have massive reserves on hand to just instantly vacuum up anything with an 'Add To Cart' button. The ONLY way to increase availability to the intended customers (no matter how much more supply is supposedly coming) is squarely on the retail and reseller channels to prevent botting/scalping. I have no idea how much influence nVidia and AMD have that far down stream...maybe none. I REALLY hope that both companies have spent this last year to take a very serious look at how the current sales model could be changed to allow fair buying practices for all customers.

I just don't see it happening any other way, the fabs are not going to ramp capacity at the same or greater rate than the buying power of scalpers.
Scalpers aren't really the problem. Direct sales to miners are.

There's quite a few alt coins that are profitable what I see happening is people will move to next highest increasing the difficulty until there are miners spread across a range of alt coins and moving as needed. Only thing I see easing miners interest in alt coins are the ever increasing fee's for transferring coins to something you can spend.
None of the altcoins have a market cap of ETH. So when ETH moves to Proof of Stake system next year there will be a massive void no altcoin can fill. Sure miners CAN mine some other coin but it will be far less profitable than ETH.

Both nvidia and AMD are clearing any stock before it can even reach the 'peasants'. Why would they care who buys it?

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Why 95% thinking it's fake news? Lisa Su said same thing chip shortage easing in H2 2022. And AMD never lies.
Because both AMD and nvidia once said the beginning of 2022 would see an ease of shortages. Now its the end of 2022. Next itll be the middle of 2023.

Nvidia is right, but it wont be because they magically outsmarted those crypto miners - it's because etherium is going stake by June

They wont have miners by-the-balls until LHR Etherium Detection forces all other GPU multi-tasking off
Etherium will go it proof of stake in 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022, we swear!

This supply chain stuff has gone too far. Sure it may be affecting the chip industry, but now EVERY industry is using it to increase their profits. Enough.

As an added note, I hope all the scalpers and their bots get stuck with tons of inventory they can't move.
The supply chain is FUBARd. There is 0 incentive to fix it, and honestly short of a major economic crash I dont see any solution to the increasing shipping delays. Maybe we can finally slow down our consumption as a society again....
Here's hoping we see enough supply that non-miners/scalpers can get ahold of GPU's at a reasonable price. It almost feels like this is just a case of anticipation of the next-gen GPU's coming out, slowing demand for the current-gen GPU's, so supply will go up simply because of miners/scalpers will be waiting for the next-gen.
Miners make more money the more GPUs they have. The only way more supply will fix anything is if supply outstrips miners ability to purchase, which LMFAO if you think that's possible right now.

Because both AMD and nvidia once said the beginning of 2022 would see an ease of shortages. Now its the end of 2022. Next itll be the middle of 2023.

Etherium will go it proof of stake in 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022, we swear!

The supply chain is FUBARd. There is 0 incentive to fix it, and honestly short of a major economic crash I dont see any solution to the increasing shipping delays. Maybe we can finally slow down our consumption as a society again....

Miners make more money the more GPUs they have. The only way more supply will fix anything is if supply outstrips miners ability to purchase, which LMFAO if you think that's possible right now.

Yeah, that's what I was poking fun at. There will never be enough gpu demand to satisfy Miners , even during a downturn (there are so many other currencies to mine, they will just start mining different coins, u till Etherium pops back up two week later).

The only way to get a similar drop-off in the GPU market to that of 2018 is to make impossible to mine Etherium overnight (NVIDIA is never going to do that, because they are ballless), or to force miners to make the choice between two different long-term investments (Ether Stake, or make a pittance while searching for that the new Coin?)

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
None of the altcoins have a market cap of ETH. So when ETH moves to Proof of Stake system next year there will be a massive void no altcoin can fill. Sure miners CAN mine some other coin but it will be far less profitable than ETH.
It was supposed to be 2019, December 2020, July this year, then it was December, now it's "Mid Q2 2022". Good luck with that.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Who said fake news?

This would be the one time that the orange one aka Chump, would have been right about fake news.

Nvidia is about as trustworthy as Chump too. I rate them up there with big Pharma and big Oil.