• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GPUs Power Top Two Russian Supercomputers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA today announced that the two most powerful supercomputers in Russia will use NVIDIA GPUs to address some of the world's most challenging scientific problems across a broad range of fields.

Underscoring the dramatic growth in the adoption of GPU computing across world scientific communities, the new Russia Top 50 supercomputer list released today reveals that the top two systems are accelerated by NVIDIA Tesla GPUs. These two supercomputers are housed at Lomonosov Moscow State University, which was recently named a CUDA Center of Excellence, and the Joint Supercomputer Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences (JSCC RAS). Moreover, GPUs are accelerating 12 of the country's top 50 systems -- up from seven just six months ago.

"The challenges of modern science can only be addressed by applying huge computational resources," said Vladimir Voevodin, coordinator of the Supercomputing Consortium of Russian Universities and deputy director of the MSU Research Computing Center. "NVIDIA GPU technologies are one of the most efficient and cost-effective ways to address these challenges."

From Cancer Research to Space Exploration
Russian scientists are using NVIDIA Tesla GPUs to accelerate scientific research and discovery for a range of important research projects today, and plan to increase the number GPU-accelerated projects in the future. For example, researchers at IMM UB RAS plan to harness their computational power to accelerate algorithms designed to navigate the Soyuz-2-class carrier rocket, determining an optimal orbit trajectory and ensuring a safe arrival at the target orbit.

Researchers at the Institute of Applied Physics of the Russian Academy of Sciences are using NVIDIA GPUs to run their optic biomedicine diagnostic method, which is aimed at facilitating early detection of cancer, 100 times faster than on a CPU-based system.
Researchers at OJSC "Aviadvigatel" are using NVIDIA GPUs for acoustic noise generation modeling of aircraft engines. By adding NVIDIA GPUs to a CPU-based system, Aviadvigatel reduced the computational time required to run flow modeling simulations from a month to just three days, enabling more complex and accurate simulations. Armed with this information, Aviadvigatel is working to produce quieter, more efficient aircraft engine designs.

"NVIDIA GPUs are enabling game-changing research on some of the most powerful supercomputers around the world, including systems in China, Italy, Japan, Russia, Spain, and the U.S.," said Sumit Gupta, senior director of Tesla business at NVIDIA. "This tremendous growth is not only due to the vast computational performance and power efficiency GPUs provide, but also because of industry innovations like the OpenACC programming model that make GPU programming easier than ever before."

Among the list of NVIDIA GPU-accelerated systems on the new Russian Top 50 list are:
  • Top 50 Rank: #1
    Site: Lomonosov Moscow State University
    2,130 Tesla GPUs
    LINPACK Score: 872 teraflops
  • Top 50 Rank: #2
    Site: Joint Supercomputer Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences
    152 Tesla GPUs
    LINPACK Score: 119 teraflops
  • Top 50 Rank: #5
    Site: Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics, Ural Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
    240 Tesla GPUs
    LINPACK Score: 75 teraflops
  • Top 50 Rank: #6
    Site: National Research Centre "Kurchatov Institute"
    228 Tesla GPUs
    LINPACK Score: 68 teraflops
  • Top 50 Rank: #8
    Site: Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod
    130 Tesla GPUs
    LINPACK Score: 51 teraflops
The complete Russia Top 50 supercomputer list is available here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Stick to space exploration, cancer has been cured decades ago, it's called not eating the western diet:roll::roll::slap:

KonstantinDK

Top 50 Rank: #2
Site: Joint Supercomputer Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences
152 Tesla GPUs
152 GPUs and you call that a supercomputer? No wonder our rockets and $500Mil. Mars probes keep falling from the sky.

System Name Computer MkVIII
Processor 2500K @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth P67
Cooling CPU: 212+ EVO GPU: Stock
Memory 16gb G.Skill Ares @2133mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 SC
Storage 1x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) 24" Asus VE248
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX-650
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
So ATI gets to power the next gen consoles and Nvidia gets to help power supercomputers? Nice

Stick to space exploration, cancer has been cured decades ago, it's called not eating the western diet:roll::roll::slap:

Seriously?

At most that's a third of the types of cancer. Cancer is still a real and serious problem.

System Name scrapper
Processor Intel i5-6600k @ 4.0Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z-170A
Cooling H100i
Memory Corsair Vengence 16gb ddr4 @3000
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 EVGA SC
Storage 2x 500GB Samsung 850 SSD
Display(s) CrossOver 27" 1440p LG IPS @ 120Hz
Case Corsair 650D
Power Supply AX-850W

[sarcasm] hahaha [/sarcasm]

as a cancer survivor im glad they are using these super computers to research cures for cancer, NOBODY should EVER have to go through what i went through 3 years ago at the age of 19. 4 rounds of chemo, 2 surgeries and radiation is something no living being should ever experience...

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
152 GPUs and you call that a supercomputer? No wonder our rockets and $500Mil. Mars probes keep falling from the sky.

US sent men to moon with the computing power of a pocket calculator. No doubt 152 GPUs should be enough to send people to deep space :roll:

In other news, I am still waiting for the widespread adoption of OpenCL

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
[sarcasm] hahaha [/sarcasm]

as a cancer survivor im glad they are using these super computers to research cures for cancer, NOBODY should EVER have to go through what i went through 3 years ago at the age of 19. 4 rounds of chemo, 2 surgeries and radiation is something no living being should ever experience...

I second that. Been there myself. I feel for the nurses and doctors who have to do that type of work for a living. Get to know people, then watch them die in front of you. So many people would take cig warnings more seriously if they had to go through a day in a chemo lab.

There is a point to diet tho. Not just what you eat but what is in the foods you eat. They allow stuff in the US which is banned in other parts of the world. Some is just downright toxic, but the FDA passes it.

Course, drug companies would go broke if they didn't. I've known more than a few people who had to go to Europe for treatment on conditions because the medicines were being blocked from entering by the FDA. Always due to drug companies here. Heck I know of a doctor in Italy treating cancer with sodium bicarbonate treatments and having success. Won't ever see it come here, drug companies can't make money off that.

Environmental factors play in as well. Pollution/etc. But overall, there is just too many factors to label just one cause.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V Evo
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283
Memory 4GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3
Video Card(s) GigaByte Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4
Storage WD Caviar Black 640GB, Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster F2380M
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy ES 5.1
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64
I second that. Been there myself. I feel for the nurses and doctors who have to do that type of work for a living. Get to know people, then watch them die in front of you. So many people would take cig warnings more seriously if they had to go through a day in a chemo lab.

There is a point to diet tho. Not just what you eat but what is in the foods you eat. They allow stuff in the US which is banned in other parts of the world. Some is just downright toxic, but the FDA passes it.

Course, drug companies would go broke if they didn't. I've known more than a few people who had to go to Europe for treatment on conditions because the medicines were being blocked from entering by the FDA. Always due to drug companies here. Heck I know of a doctor in Italy treating cancer with sodium bicarbonate treatments and having success. Won't ever see it come here, drug companies can't make money off that.

Environmental factors play in as well. Pollution/etc. But overall, there is just too many factors to label just one cause.

Hm, Russia just kicked McDonalds out from the country :)