• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia GTX 1060 laptop not working

System Name "Good Boy" / Hp z400
Processor Intel i7 8700k / Intel Xeon w3520
Motherboard Asus PRIME Z370-P II / OEM motherboard
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 Pro / OEM cooler
Memory 32 gb Corsair VENGEANCE LPX at 3000 mhz / 8 gb ECC OEM memory at 1333mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Rog-Strix GeForce GTX 1080ti / AMD SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 380 NITRO Dual-X
Storage 1TB of sata 3 SSD and 3TB of HDD / 240 gb of SSD and 1TB of HDD
Display(s) Legion Y25f-10 144Hz / LG Flatron W1934S
Case Aerocool P7C1 non-pro / Hp z400 case
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 80 ohms and HyperX Cloud 2 / nothing ig
Power Supply Xilence Performance X XN073 XP750MR9 750w / OEM PSU 475w
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Surge / some random office mouse
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow 3 / some random office kb
Software Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Pro
After 3 years of owning my laptop and have a blast of a time with it, a Acer Nitro 5 from 2018, equipped with a 1060, my GPU has entered a sort of coma like state. It works, or it shows as working, for the first 5 minutes after a restart, but after that it goes inactive and there aren't any games/benchmarks that can use it. I've tried everything I knew, reinstalls, checking every option and even going to a PC shop to see what's happening. To be onest, I've tortured this laptop at 98-99 °C while playing, because the thermal paste wasn't very good and I did some overclocking on the GPU. Anyways the shop told me the GPU is essentially dead, they weren't able to get it off the mother board to exchange it and that's all. But even now I wonder, why does it shows as working even tho it's not working and the laptop does not know that there is a GPU in it?