• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

nvidia gtx 680 - 600 bucks are worth it?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-review-benchmark,3161-14.html

Surelly this is not what nvidia did claim more than one year ago when they told to the public that they were not aimed anymore to make mere (simple) graphics cards.
If I well remember they emphatized how much importance it had a gpgpu nowadays...they (nvidia) infact did make a "great" work in order to let this capability be part of their next gen gpus like the gtx 580.
What we are seeing today is that nvidia is selling their top notch cards at an injustificable price...the gtx 580 is not so good as the 6970 from the amd counterpart when it comes to decoding zip passwords with opencl programs, is not good enough when it comes to make some ray tracing simulations with third party software like luxmark; the gtx 680 is following this tradition and yep you are catching up 600 bucks for this piece of revolutionary hardware.
Please do not say that gpgpu does not matter in modern computer graphics as it does - next api will more and more generalize their pipeline flow to be as more close to general computational programs.
Also at the Epic those guys know and want this despite the fact they are constantly promoting nvidia hardware as the most innovative one...probably they have NO INTEREST in doing so.
At last it comes a simple argumentation...would it be better to catch 600 bucks for a 10% less powerfull graphics card but capable of doing a great job in gpgpu or taking a closely specialized hardware which is just an old piece of history but capable of giving a couple of fps more?
Please reflect on this, put apart your love for nvidia and make things clear.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
You are right, you have to wait for the "full kepler", right now people are throwing away they money for something it will be useless in short time.
This gtx 680 is a good marketing move - I guess how many people will decorate their own houses with this piece of hardware :rolleyes:

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
the card released as the GTX680 originally was slated to be the GTX660(hence the GK104 gpu in it). Nvidia decided to cash in when they saw thier "mid-range" card was going to be faster than AMD's newest flagship card, so they revised the card to be the GTX680. GK110, which is schedualed for release in August, is what was planned to be the GTX680.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
I can't see your point. First the price NV set for the 680 is $500, that's the price listed at many retailers (availability is another discussion). Second, its main purpose is gaming. You wanna GPGPU? Depending on the applications you use you can check and choose from whatever cards are on the market.

Nope that s your point of view, giving 500 bucks (600 or whatever the price now it is) for a piece of hardware which in comparison lacks of a multi porpose computational architecture is the main topic of this thread.
Then if you all like / love nvidia is your own matter...I am here to make some critics at the nvidia agenda :pimp:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Oh I fully understand, but to discredit those who choose to spend their money as they see fit is an uphill battle with lots of pitfalls.

Do I care that they up-scaled the name on a card that isn't really of that series, no. Why, because like most people here we can read and see that its a marketing move. Trying to turn people to Nv critics just isn't going to happen. Since I have been here for what seems like forever, what I see is someone who is hating when they already know the full story. Obviously you aren't buying the card, nor do you have any way to change their business schedule. So why exactly are we here again?

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Fist, the nvidia 680 is 500 bucks... no its not worth it, the market is inflated, this was supposed to be a midrange chip that sold for less. Even at launch date some of the cards still had "670" written somewhere on them.

Thanks to the fact that Nvidia and AMD are the only two clowns at the show, when AMD price gouged its customers, Nvidia skipped along happily following them... and we got what we have now :/. Still i'm hoping there are going to be some good price/perf cards coming, theyre just not here yet.

Second, when was the last time you used GPGPU in any meaningful way? If the answer is, "today" or "I fold" then the 570's and older gen nvidia cards are the best price/perf with the 7970 being better than the 680. Otherwise the 680 is better for gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-review-benchmark,3161-14.html

Please do not say that gpgpu does not matter in modern computer graphics as it does - next api will more and more generalize their pipeline flow to be as more close to general computational programs.

Is the next API here yet? no. When is it coming out? Who knows... So no, it does not matter. You're paying for performance today, if that API rolls around and the 680's performance drops, then the price will drop too, at that time. As of right now that line of reasoning is made of sunshine and farts.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
If people think the GK100 will be released this year they must think nvidia's fine with flushing money down the shitter, Nvidia's GK100 will be released in Q1 in 2013 and will probably be called GTX 780.

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
If You want something trully of GPGPU, along with being Nvidia, get Tesla.
With it, You won't be able to do anything but GPGPU stuff. Happy?
Wahaha~!

Ok, now on the serious side: Kepler based Tesla solutions aren't out yet, though. =|

Last edited:
Oh I fully understand, but to discredit those who choose to spend their money as they see fit is an uphill battle with lots of pitfalls.

Do I care that they up-scaled the name on a card that isn't really of that series, no. Why, because like most people here we can read and see that its a marketing move. Trying to turn people to Nv critics just isn't going to happen. Since I have been here for what seems like forever, what I see is someone who is hating when they already know the full story. Obviously you aren't buying the card, nor do you have any way to change their business schedule. So why exactly are we here again?

We are here to discuss and to judge whether or not it is right to throw away all that money.
I never payd a lot of attention to what and which kind of propaganda nvidia used during the 500 series launch because I really appreciated the efforts they put in those cards.
This time however things have changed (in worst) and at nvidia people did play so bad - if you are going to give them 500 bucks for this crap I can not imagine how much the next nvidia series will cost - obviously this will reflect on amd products as well!
And you are wrong sneekypeet - you have a mind and you can decide what is right for you - you can discuss and let other people be part of your topics and all togheter make a step forward to the realization of a common goal - this also means that if we plan here to do not buy some products for certain reasons we can make then other people ponder and decide about it - you can call it genuine comparison and free will.

Last edited:
System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
Point?

mikmak, no matter how many times I read this thread You started, I fail to see what point You are trying to make.
If the point is to determine, whether the card is worth the money in general - then I's day it is quite pointless. As it is highly subjective. And some criteria, that can be vital to one person can be completely irrelevant to another.
If the point is to state what sh***y of a company Nvidia is, because of *insert whatever here*, then that is simply not good. [Blinding] Hatred never did anything good. Ever.
So, uhm, eh, yeah - that.

Last edited:
$500.00 is worth more to some than others. Some college kids save for 3 months for that kind of money.....other make that in a few hours at work. If you have it.....and you enjoy having a kickass gaming GPU......then why in the hell wouldn't you get it?

You say "It doesn't justify spending that kind of money on a video card".......if you can afford it....who cares?

System Name gaming system
Processor 2600k @ 4.2 ghz
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright ultra extreme 120 rev.C w/noctua NF-S12B push/pull
Memory 16gb corsair vengeance 2400 c11 @1.5 v/
Video Card(s) GB gtx670 WF3x sli @1080/1372/6660(core/boost/mem)
Storage 2x samsung 850evo 250gb raid 0 ,2tb wdblack, 3TB wd purple
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH, asus VH242t/19" lg 1440x900
Case fractal design r4
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Mouse Razer abyssus
Keyboard corsair k70
Software Windows 10 pro x64
What do you expect? Gtx680 is a midrange card, gk100/110will be a full card, around 2300cuda cores and al the gpgpu stuff and lots of power consumption xd

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
this topic here is pointless

FYI 680 is not worth even 450

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Was the extreme edition Gulftown 6 core worth $1000? Was it hell. But it is what you pay for the highest performing part of it's field. Prestige items, cost beyond performance. I have a £2000 PC sitting next to me. I could easily have spent half that and still got an excellent gaming PC. But I wanted a pretty, technical, well thought out water cooled system. I paid for what I wanted (and built it).

I don't require compute but if i did I'd keep my 580 (up for sale in TPU :D).

Your post should be directed at AMD for breaking their previous and well respected pricing strategy and then keeping their price so high when the 680 was released.

Nvidia haven't made any claims about GK104's compute powers, they've sold it as a power efficient, feature packed graphics card, for games.

You saying this:

put apart your love for nvidia and make things clear

seemingly indicates your bias.

I now run a Powercolor LCS 7970, having come from a MSI GTX 580 Lightning. I begrudged paying what I paid for the 7970 but for me, it was necessary to finish my loop to suit my ideas.

I'm kind of losing my way in this post but essentially what I'm saying is the GTX 680 has no pretentions about being a compute card, it is priced as the fastest (generally) single graphics card on the market. Simple as that.

I really appreciate some old nvidia products...I still have some g80 chips around.
As many of you have made it clear if you have those bucks and want to give them for a gaming video card so why do not do it?
The point I have tried to communicate is another one however and it is not a personal battle I am trying to merely fight against the nvidia big boss...what I am trying to let you think about is that this card will be shortly useless due to its lack of a multi purpose computational architecture (or computational elements / nodes / units).
If you want to feed these big companies (and I am also referring to AMD also here) you are welcome to do it - I then call it stupidity.
Within some months we will assist to the powervr gpgpu launch which probably will make both the nvidia and amd companies think seriously on how much people should pay for their awesome products...we are in front of a transition / let say epic move from an old style rasterization approach towards a ray traced rendering approach and you guys will use those gtx 680 as an ashtray probably.
I then want not to mention how much respect for money someone of you have demonstrated here in these notes.

Processor Intel Core i7 8700K
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING AC
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) Dell S2417DG 165Hz
Case NZXT H400i
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Cooler Master - Masterkeys Pro L RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Quit talking bollocks, PowerVR isn't making a gaming graphics card but a ray tracing card. It will be used as an addon card to offload ray tracing calculations from the dedicated graphics card from nVidia or AMD.

Besides, this whole price point is AMD's fault. They came out with their 7900 series priced at 549 euro over here. When nVidia launched their card, it was priced at 449 euro over here. nVidia launched a 100 euro lower costing graphics card that was faster than AMD's flagship... You do the math.

Quit talking bollocks, PowerVR isn't making a gaming graphics card but a ray tracing card. It will be used as an addon card to offload ray tracing calculations from the dedicated graphics card from nVidia or AMD.

Besides, this whole price point is AMD's fault. They came out with their 7900 series priced at 549 euro over here. When nVidia launched their card, it was priced at 449 euro over here. nVidia launched a 100 euro lower costing graphics card that was faster than AMD's flagship... You do the math.

Gaming and gpgpu are becoming to be same thing...you only need to have some patience (and it seems you do not)...meanwhile you are free to throw away your money.
Coming back to the amd nvidia dilemma...here to me both cards are priced the same.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
Your post should be directed at AMD for breaking their previous and well respected pricing strategy and then keeping their price so high when the 680 was released.

This.

Either way i'm a little pissed at both companies, i had hoped to see the 680 replace the 570 in pricing, and be competing with the 7950 (which should likewise have been priced similarly to the 6950) in the £200-250 price bracket.

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
when that "epic move" happens there will probably be a new generation of GPUs out by then anyway. most games don't even come close to using the full power of last generation, let alone the 680. this probably wont change much until the next gen of consoles come out, and that could be a year, maybe 2 from now. several users have already answerd your question... no, its not worth 600, or 500 for that matter. what's it worth? probably 400ish, since it wasn't supposed to be the high end/flagship in the first place. The main point of a card like this is for high end gaming. if you want cuda and that other stuff it can do it well to, sure not the fastest but its capable. if you want the fastest for that then get a 7970 or w/e, or just get a Tesla card.

question answered... no its not worth $600 but its what ppl will pay to have the lastest and greatest for GAMING.

Gaming and gpgpu are becoming to be same thing...you only need to have some patience (and it seems you do not)...meanwhile you are free to throw away your money.
Coming back to the amd nvidia dilemma...here to me both cards are priced the same.
see Grings' avatar... NO its not... gpgpu is mostly to assist in tasks that would otherwise occupy the cpu. things like decoding, encoding, encryption, folding, etc. etc. none of which are gaming... and yes some tasks like photoshop, auto cad, and etc.

System Name ROG 7900X3d By purecain
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7900X3D
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling Noctua NH U12A
Memory 64Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 neo RGB 6400@6000mhz@1.41v
Video Card(s) Aorus RTX4090 Extreme Waterforce
Storage 990Pro2Tb-1TbSamsung Evo M.2/ 2TbSamsung QVO/ 1TbSamsung Evo780/ 120gbKingston Now
Display(s) LG 65UN85006LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV
Case Thermaltake CoreX71 Limited Edition Etched Tempered Glass Door
Audio Device(s) On board/NIcomplete audio 6
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS 1000w 80+
Mouse M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard K95 RGB Platinum
Software Windows11pro
Benchmark Scores [url=https://valid.x86.fr/gtle1y][img]https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/gtle1y-6.png[/img][/url]
unfortunatly, while ever you have customers prepared to pay... the prices will remain inflated...

i'll live with my 6970 for a couple of years now... the days of buying the latest card are over for me...
i still cant catch my breath at these prices from both companies... i mean we are in a global recession... so they put the prices up... WTF... i wanted a 670/680... but im not paying stupid amounts of cash for one... everyone should hold off... collectively the communtiy has a voice and should use it...

System Name Torquey Vulture
Processor Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 MiniITX
Cooling DDC water loop, EK block
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper RGB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1070
Storage 500gb NVME; some Phat HDDs
Display(s) Achieva Shimian 27" 2560x1440
Case Thermaltake V1 MiniITX
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 G2
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Possibly the cheapest you can buy. Shift key broke recently. Space sounds like I'm kicking a ham
Software Windows 10
If people will happily pay, the prices will happily rise.