• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Influencing YouTube Tech Journalists' Product-Placements, Alleges Whistleblower

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I've seen dubious stuff that can be easily categorized as shilling literately everywhere, including on TPU. Whether or not that really is the case I can't say because it's impossible as a simple viewer to know what goes on. Everyone points out that there is no proof, well what exactly one is supposed to do ? Tap their phones ? Stalk them ? The only thing you can hope for are just anonymous claims and see how well they match reality.

In regards to the video obviously everything was blown way out of proportion and he was fixated on this dumb stuff about boxes just to make it seem ridiculous when in fact there was much more to this that just boxes on shelves. Nice way to dodge everything and turn this into a shitshow.

From what I have seen in this thread, I have no idea how it blew up this much. Is it a full moons? Or does BPA really cause an increase of estrogen?
It blew up this much because Steve *really* cares about his 'tegridy and is prepared to put the hammer down on anyone that claims something like this about him.

Remember last year when that idiot accused various techtubers of taking payment from tech companies to cover their computex booths? GN was the first outlet mentioned in that story to threaten legal action. Hell, Luke from LTT mentioned on WAN show that he found it hilarious GN was ever accused, simply because GN are totally willing to trash bad product and don't give anything a soft-touch review.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I've seen dubious stuff that can be easily categorized as shilling literately everywhere, including on TPU. Whether or not that really is the case I can't say because it's impossible as a simple viewer to know what goes on. Everyone points out that there is no proof, well what exactly one is supposed to do ? Tap their phones ? Stalk them ? The only thing you can hope for are just anonymous claims and see how well they match reality.

In regards to the video obviously everything was blown way out of proportion and he was fixated on this dumb stuff about boxes just to make it seem ridiculous when in fact there was much more to this that just boxes on shelves. Nice way to dodge everything and turn it into a shitshow.

And the whole actual 'issue' is forgotten about. WAIT A MINUTE!

What if this unnamed youtuber was actually contracted by Nvidia to cause this fuss with TPU to actually conceal the real issue going on. Seeing how much all the nerds are upset about this 'slander', no one is actually talking about the real shilling going on.... OMG

Remember last year when that idiot accused various techtubers of taking payment from tech companies to cover their computex booths?

Actually, no. Because youtube is trash and No better than Facebook.

Last edited:
Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 240P rad / whatever fans)
Memory Just about any under the Sun. Lost count.
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX580 8GB Red Dragon V2
Storage 1TB Kioxia Exceria NVMe M.2
Display(s) LG 22MK430H-B
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-550FX
Mouse Westrom (store brand) with the RGBs
Keyboard Aula Dawnguard
Software Win10 Education
Only took me a few days off TPU to miss so much fun.. "You're like little kids" (c)
People! If anything, just think for a sec...
1) Can you name a single prominent techtuber chap who hasn't ever made a single oopsie (or something you offendedly considered an oopsie)? And I don't exclusively mean oopsies towards AMD. Intel & Nvidia classify too ;)
2) Of all the "clues" and "signals", THAT vid????77 Come on. Not gonna call names but will call a letter: J. Can't watch them anymore, sorry. More about taste and personal preferences and being put off by some of the rants than "shilling" etc. But don't flee this post just yet! Proceed to the next point(s, if you ever so wish) first.
3) Maybe it's not *always* (yeah right) about getting paid? I recall a recent GN rant bout AMD very well. Not everyone agreed, I didn't either. (If you dig up on me real hard you'll see 1 "suspicious" Reddit comment.) Now was it sponsored??? Riiiiiight... You know what, feels a bit refreshing to write this after some of ma other, quite a bit more triggered and bvtthurt induced comments. Everyone may into opinions. (Can they into opinions, though, is a different topic.) Everyone has the right to be a bit of a moron at times. Everyone has the right NOT to be a moron but predict something you won't be happy to learn all by yourself later. And an utmostly important one. As someone who is turned on (yeah :p) by all things AMD but few things Nvidia and almost zero things Intel, save for some gems. Everyone has the right to prefer X over Y on a personal level. Not shoving it upon you but keeping it to themselves. The only thing you enlighten when you try to "enlighten" and make ascended a person who ISN'T sh!tting everywhere on the Web bout how they hate brand Z is your ego. Aside from circlej3rk subreddits of course :p don't touch those, they're meme-ful by nature and not out of bad spirit
4) (optional) Maybe we really shouldn't be judging who's sponsored and who's not... sometimes... pretty please?

EDIT: typos, clarificayshun

EDIT 2: aaand I didn't find many things wrong with the original article... 'twas a reading exercise ;) goldfish would go hate (on either of the "conflicting sides"), people who are never in a rush to live/die ;) would read carefully.

Last edited:
System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q + AOC 19'
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
C'mon TPU, you are better than this. Less trash, more reviews please.

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
At TechPowerUp have never experienced this ourselves, not for RX 5700 Series coverage, not for any other content. While NVIDIA does provide information and materials, we've never been told what we must or can not do.

You're Journalist while they're Youtube Tech Channels ! It's quite different.

System Name Indis the Fair (cursed edition)
Processor 11900k 5.1/4.9 undervolted.
Motherboard MSI Z590 Unify-X
Cooling Heatkiller VI Pro, VPP755 V.3, XSPC TX360 slim radiator, 3xA12x25, 4x Arctic P14 case fans
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 4000 16-19-19 (b-die@3600 14-14-14 1.45v)
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid (T30-120 fan)
Storage 970EVO 1TB, 660p 1TB, WD Blue 3D 1TB, Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
Display(s) BenQ XL2546K, Dell P2417H
Case FD Define 7
Audio Device(s) DT770 Pro, Topping A50, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Røde VXLR+, Modmic 5
Power Supply Seasonic 860w Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Mini, Odin Infinity mousepad
Keyboard GMMK Fullsize v2 (Boba U4Ts)
Software Win10 x64/Win7 x64/Ubuntu
All I'm going to say is publishing half baked articles which both take as truth a really dubious reddit post and then proceed to *directly* accuse others of malpractice is going to hurt your reputation a lot.

It doesn't matter that the article has been edited, it doesn't matter that there exists a "right to be forgotten"... To me this comes across as letting the public edit articles for you: Lazy, unprofessional, and quite frankly it doesn't belong on this site.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
next: Bta will be telling us that Intel are turning the frogs g*y.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
I saw nothing but someone is being paid by Nvidia and trying to do damage control.

freeagent

Staff member
System Name Altered Beast
Processor AMD R9 5900X/5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850X 2TB, SN850 1TB, SN770 1TB - Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I think Steve is alright. The only people who influence me are my kids, my wife, my mom, my boss.. and myself. Just because someone says something doesn’t make it a fact, unless it is :D Influencers are for people who can’t think for themselves. There are masses of people that fit that bill. I like TPU and I like Steve. Some one said this may have damaged GN, but it might be the other way around.. I guess we will see how this all pans out.

TOUisd00d00

Such high quality journalism to drive outraged clicks, good thing I have adblocker on.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Oh my God, Steve's intro to his video was hilarious!!! :roll:

jtrdfw87

This is so hilariously implausible even from the point of view of someone so paranoid they can no longer think logically. There are so many more, far more legitimate ways (implausible included!) to accomplish the ... same thing, to keep it simple... that would occur before this. The PR risk a company would have to take to pay people on Youtube to display competitor boxes is so extreme for the ridiculously tiny return on investment. For one to think this is possible is to think that the way smarter people in the position to do such a thing are as dumb as you are. They aren't.

"Shady" stuff happens to advertise products. We all know this. This, however, is actually stupid.

But hey TPU got its clicks, check out them replies! $$$$$$$$$ Mission accomplished guys.

It is literally more plausible for someone at TPU making that Reddit post to generate revenue for this website. I'm not even remotely suggesting that's what happened, but its many orders of magnitudes more likely. Honestly one of the most alarming things about all this was the original editor replies to all of this.

bobhumplick

do youtubers have nvidia boxes in the background at all times? a lot do. but you have to ask the question the other way around. do they have amd or intel boxes in the background of nvidia reviews? almost always. not saying this hasnt happened to one guy one time but at the same time if a leaked email or some form of communication ever got out from a real nvidia employees email or whatever that would be be a huge scandal. they arent going to let that happen. a box in the background just isnt worth this. as for phone calls, just dont have anything to do with any company unless its in writing and the problem is solved. seems like a problem only a noob youtuber, who is just starting out, would have

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Hmmm, this article reminded me of the one about MSI screwing people over with AM4 motherboards by not supporting Zen 2. If I recall, no one ever reached out to MSI for comment and just took Reddit as fact.

Let's kick it up a notch and reach out to people actually involved before publishing.

Yeah I wasn't going to post on this thread until I saw that comment.

It's the same writer, too. In fact the only times I get annoyed reading news posts on TPU is with this particular writer.

A lot of the stuff is at best tabloid newspaper level and that MSI/AM4 post and this shouldn't have been made at the very least until the manufacturers had been contacted and the information corroborated.

In this instance, it's a big post based on an anonymous reddit post that may very well be (and in all likelihood is) a troll since there's no evidence (the reddit poster could have shown redacted information to prove his point)...and nobody else has backed this up? Was there any attempt to contact nvidia or any youtubers etc to get there thoughts? There's many that get nvidia cards so there's many places to ask, including nvidia themselves.

And with the MSI/AM4 article...

The very first line...
Greedy motherboard vendors such as MSI want you to buy a new motherboard every two generations of processor for no sound reason at all.

And later in the post

Unfortunately, motherboard companies such as MSI care more about their bottom-lines than the consumer.

Really is tabloid level that. Again, did the writer contact MSI for comment before posting?

And the update just says "MSI posted a clarification on this issue."

No retraction of the writers comments, which were definitely misplaced, no apologies for what shouldn't have actually been said in the firstplace if the article was written with any sense of decency.

I like TPU, I look at the site every single day (even if a lot of the posts are simply press releases, it's still a good source of info to see what's coming). Even check on weekends for the rare times something gets posted, W1zzard's reviews are great etc. But...one writer kind of ruins it for me.

*EDIT* FInal thought...we live in a world that's "innocent until proven guilty"...I guess that doesn't apply to tech journalism?

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
lol,now I see it's you who sent him the thread.
good news I can at least put you on ignore
Why would you put Ford on ignore? He gave factual information to bta that should be known. He didnt cause this nor did he cause the resulting mess. Ford is one of the few members on this site that does ACTUAL deep research on a multitude of topics and then provides it in posts. And he isn’t even paid for it.

He is a strong and great contributor who has also provided the community free and valuable software more than several times. To put someone like him on ignore is equal to turning your back on all the good there is in this community.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
You're Journalist while they're Youtube Tech Channels ! It's quite different.

Maybe a bit irrelevant in the modern era, but no, we're not. You need a degree to officially bear that title. Even me? Lol, I go on and on about ethics because I had experience in Journalism courses... but I dropped out. I am not a proper Journalist. I'm a friggin college dropout.

We are, at most, Web Journalists, which seems to be a seperate bar.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
It is on LTT Wanshow now. Oh man the humiliation.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Why would you put Ford on ignore? He gave factual information to bta that should be known. He didnt cause this nor did he cause the resulting mess. Ford is one of the few members on this site that does ACTUAL deep research on a multitude of topics and then provides it in posts. And he isn’t even paid for it.

He is a strong and great contributor who has also provided the community free and valuable software more than several times. To put someone like him on ignore is equal to turning your back on all the good there is in this community.

You know, as much as I WANTED to hate ford for hating Abraham Lincoln, I couldn't. Dude does his homework. He can be irritating yes... usually because he's right.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
So someone in my position has two options that will satisfy everyone, and one option that won't satisfy everyone: 1. I can quit TPU and have no livelihood left. 2. I can kill myself (nobody has lulz over a dead person), or 3. Try to put my 12 years of experience and some 10,000 newsposts on the line, apologize to everyone (including you), and hope that life gives me a second chance to be better.
Honestly option 3 is the only thing you should be considering here. Quitting is giving up, and number 2 is giving up.

A big mistake was made, but you have already begun to make it right. All you can do is apologize, work hard to not make grave errors like this again, and eventually good journalism will put all this behind you, with the members and with the wider public and other sites. It will just take time. Stay positive!

You know, as much as I WANTED to hate ford for hating Abraham Lincoln, I couldn't. Dude does his homework. He can be irritating yes... usually because he's right.
All those reasons are why I love you too, Froggy! We don’t always agree but you research, think before you speak, and are very generous with your projects, knowledge and software

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Last edited: