• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Influencing YouTube Tech Journalists' Product-Placements, Alleges Whistleblower

GN has been advertising AMD products in almost every video in past several months. And the thing that was bringing most attention in his videos was the blue Radeon card.

Whoever smelt it, dealt it. A suitable proverb.

No. You cannot do your WORK horribly and think there will be no consequences.

You do bad things you get punished. Simple as that. I am with @OneMoar

Heads should be rolling.
Does that apply to individuals alone or should corporations need to be held accountable as well, especially when they abuse their market position?
Don't bother with the reply, because I know what the answer would be!

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Why would you put Ford on ignore? He gave factual information to bta that should be known. He didnt cause this nor did he cause the resulting mess. Ford is one of the few members on this site that does ACTUAL deep research on a multitude of topics and then provides it in posts. And he isn’t even paid for it.

He is a strong and great contributor who has also provided the community free and valuable software more than several times. To put someone like him on ignore is equal to turning your back on all the good there is in this community.
I like some of Ford's content too,but come on,they ran this BS smearing campaign on youtubers together with hilariously little prior validation
and smeared GN just like that.

I get lots of hate here from some users and staff for pointing certain things out,yet I'd never stoop to the level of sending a chief editor some unverified,claickbait wccf level crap in PMs and insist they publish it.I suggest they both stick to the facts on TPU or open their own gossip channel if they wanna run stories like that.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I get lots of hate here from some users and staff for pointing certain things out,yet I'd never stoop to the level of sending a chief editor some unverified,claickbait wccf level crap in PMs and insist they publish it.I suggest they both stick to the facts on TPU or open their own gossip channel if they wanna run stories like that.
There was no conspiracy or gossip channel. You had one member who notifed a news editor of a lead he might want to follow up on, via PM. It was way more responsible that posting his snippets of information on his own as "fact" and then going to bed, which is what he did. It didn't single GN out, or have you not been paying attention? It was about the general state of the product placement situation on youtubers channels. Bta received a tip, JUST THE SAME AS ANY REPORTER would. How else to news people in any corner of the planet find out about stuff? The "scoop" or "cub" reporter running around on the streets finding out every thing that could be news and then publishing it is a fiction of history.

News organizations get tips, which can become news stories. That is how it has always worked. They are expected to verify claims and sources and double check the info and go verify it with more info first. Bta just handled it badly by not following through with alot more research of his own, and just threw up GN site as a very poorly thought out representation of youtube sites.

Bottom line, @FordGT90Concept did nothing wrong.

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
There was no conspiracy or gossip channel. You had one member who notifed a news editor of a lead he might want to follow up on, via PM. It was way more responsible that posting his snippets of information on his own as "fact" and then going to bed, which is what he did. It didn't single GN out, or have you not been paying attention? It was about the general state of the product placement situation on youtubers channels. Bta received a tip, JUST THE SAME AS ANY REPORTER would. How else to news people in any corner of the planet find out about stuff? The "scoop" or "cub" reporter running around on the streets finding out every thing that could be news and then publishing it is a fiction of history.

News organizations get tips, which can become news stories. That is how it has always worked. They are expected to verify claims and sources and double check the info and go verify it with more info first. Bta just handled it badly by not following through with alot more research of his own, and just threw up GN site as a very poorly thought out representation of youtube sites.

Bottom line, @FordGT90Concept did nothing wrong.
a story,however compelling to people,is worth jack if it's unverified.
it's a waste of time for readers and does harm to the reputable site.
like I said,TPU is not the kind of site to do things btarunr's way.

a conspiracy reddit post on youtube tech channels,that's a scoop of the year :rolleyes:

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
#Fire Btarunr
No. You cannot do your WORK horribly and think there will be no consequences.

You do bad things you get punished. Simple as that. I am with @OneMoar

Heads should be rolling.

lol ,what the hell is wrong with those people.Get the hell out of here.those people are crazy like crying baby.Hold your Fcking breath.

Evl

After following TPU for about 15 years, I just made an account to congratulate you guys for this article, quite a piece of journalism right here.

A piece of dog poo! You should be ashamed, pulling reddit threads for clickbait is considered journalism now?!

I'm ashamed for the great people working and putting out amazing content for TPU!

For the hell of it I went to look at the reddit thread...with the OP now deleted :rolleyes:

What amazes me is the amoun of people who blindly believed it without any corroborating evidence. Is this the state of the world we live in?

For the hell of it I went to look at the reddit thread...with the OP now deleted :rolleyes:

What amazes me is the amoun of people who blindly believed it without any corroborating evidence. Is this the state of the world we live in?

Fake News Everywhere !

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
If I didn't know better I'd say we're being attacked from some outside forum or link.

All these new accounts jumping out of nowhere to demand BTR's resignation is... amusing. Sure he messed up and he should've pulled the article earlier IMO. But pulling it now would look like he was hiding something. He's handling it as best he can, and frankly, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. These guys just came to flame him for something that is now way outside his control. That's about all they were ever going to do anyways, it's not like they ever had a serious passion for this site by virtue of the obviously new accounts.

I'm so glad I left this profession, frankly. BTA, you have my sympathy. There is no mercy.

System Name Purple rain
Cooling Noctua D15S
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
If I didn't know better I'd say we're being attacked from some outside forum or link.

All these new accounts jumping out of nowhere to demand BTR's resignation is... amusing. Sure he messed up and he should've pulled the article earlier IMO. But pulling it now would look like he was hiding something. He's handling it as best he can, and frankly, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. These guys just came to flame him for something that is now way outside his control. That's about all they were ever going to do anyways, it's not like they ever had a serious passion for this site by virtue of the obviously new accounts.

I'm so glad I left this profession, frankly. BTA, you have my sympathy. There is no mercy.
GN has 700.000 subscribers
are you surprised btr is getting crap ? cause I'm not.I'd be more surprised if that had no consequences.

He's handling it as best he can, and frankly, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

That's...very easy to argue.
Maybe not delete the post but at the very least add a proper apology and retraction at the very least, there's none of that on the news post at all. No semblance of humility, especially considering the writers initial responses to this thread were quite combative.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
The response to this article in the comments leads me to believe theres more truth to this story.

I agree, Btarunr made a big mistake posting GN's picture next to the article. GN has a right to be angry about that but TPU quickly removed it and apologized.

Theres nothing wrong with the original article.

This is an independent technology website, its not the Washington Post, but even professional news entities like the Washington Post, report on stories from whistleblowers, and anonymous sources.
Many big news stories come from anonymous sources, theres nothing wrong with that.

Tech corporations often release their own rumours to the internet/social media to promote products.

Nvidia (and other manufacturers) have a long history of controlling information through NDA's, bullying AIB partners, and demanding exclusive agreements with manufacturers. Most YouTubers make money from sponsors these days. I wouldnt be surprised if product placement was going on, in fact, I would be surprised if it wasnt.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
That's...very easy to argue.
Maybe not delete the post but at the very least add a proper apology and retraction at the very least, there's none of that on the news post at all. No semblance of humility, especially considering the writers initial responses to this thread were quite combative.

It's easy to get pushed on the defensive when you are being attacked from all fronts.

I'm not saying posting a retraction/apology is not the thing to do but rather arguing the obvious point that you guys are being rather merciless. It reminds me again, why I no longer work in this field. Stuff like this would probably give me a heart incident (don't laugh, I am serious given I suffer from a rare heart condition known as Wolfe Parkingsons-White, where excitement can literally kill me).

If you were doing this to me when I worked here, I would literally have to take a day off for health reasons. Of course his case is different, but he may just be doing the same: taking a breather. He's probably evaluating his options, if I had to guess.

I certainly don't envy his position and I'd suggest everyone here take one of the good pages out of Reddit Land and Consider the Human.

...you guys are being rather merciless.

Hey don't lump everybody together ;) I pride myself on logic and level headedness!

But there's also that this writer has previous form with things like this, it isn't a one time event...if it keeps happening with one write people will notice and comment more.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Hey don't lump everybody together ;) I pride myself on logic and level headedness!

But there's also that this writer has previous form with things like this, it isn't a one time event...if it keeps happening with one write people will notice and comment more.

I'll admit all the articles here push a bit towards clickbait from my era of teachings, so maybe it blends together. I sort of just begrudglingly accept it as "the new normal."

What in particular has he done in the past that was so awful, if I may ask?

What in particular has he done in the past that was so awful, if I may ask?

There's been numerous articles that have wound me up but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is...

https://www.techpowerup.com/254634/...-am4-longevity-promise-no-zen2-for-300-series

And after slagging MSI off repeatedly during the article such as

Greedy motherboard vendors such as MSI want you to buy a new motherboard every two generations of processor for no sound reason at all.

And later in the post
Unfortunately, motherboard companies such as MSI care more about their bottom-lines than the consumer.

The only thing he writes as an edit when the entire article was proved to be untrue is

MSI posted a clarification on this issue.
with a link to an article clarifying it and not making it obvious in the original article that it was incorrecting or correcting the use of tabloid level language.

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
These are the kind of lies that are being spread here to tarnish someone who puts his own time, money and effort into tech journalism. When I confronted this user and asked to provide proof as to where Steve made the mistake of "compairing" Junction temperature against Edge Temperature, I wasn't given a link or an ounce of proof whatsoever. Because for a fact, I know that he didn't do such a thing therefore the accusation can not be proven.

Not only that, but there are plenty of members here who don't have an ounce of respect for TechTubers or they're simply oblivious to them and their integrity for the work they do and seem to have this blind faith on written press and has this firm belief that TechTubers aren't knowledgeable and are simply paid shills.

Whether you love AMD, intel or nvidia, you shouldn't go out of your way to conjure up lies just to defend the brand or manufacturer you cherish. Having a preference is fine, but when you allow that preference to masquerade the truth to the point it could potentially mislead others, that's when you're wrong.

At the end of the day, competition benefits the consumers and I urge everyone to stop this brand/manufacturer hating.
Didn't you already replied those?? And as for proof see GN video again.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Yeah, that language is clickbaitish. And he ended up being wrong, check.

I guess the bottom line from my perspective is I still see a lot worse elsewhere on a daily basis on at least semi-popular news sites.

I'm just too tired to complain about it all, I guess. So I don't bother anymore.

I feel like this war was fought and lost long ago, tbf.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
There's been numerous articles that have wound me up but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is...

Btarunr has been posting stories for over a decade. I've been here for 12 years and he was here before me.

He has posted literally thousands of stories. He made a mistake. Have you never made a mistake?

You seem to have signed up this year, I dont understand why you are so mad at him.

Do you work for GN or MSI? I dont understand why people are offended on behalf of corporations.

Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 240P rad / whatever fans)
Memory Just about any under the Sun. Lost count.
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX580 8GB Red Dragon V2
Storage 1TB Kioxia Exceria NVMe M.2
Display(s) LG 22MK430H-B
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-550FX
Mouse Westrom (store brand) with the RGBs
Keyboard Aula Dawnguard
Software Win10 Education
At this point (low-effort memes below), we need to PROTECC both GN and TPU from
1) Cheap journalism
2) Cheap but ruthless trolls
3) Cheap drama of the non-rewarding kind
Should I consult the higher r/AyyMD gods for this? xD

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard ASRock B550M PRO4
Cooling DeepCool AK620
Memory Kingston FURY™ Beast DDR4 3200MT/s DDR4 8 GB x 2 CL16-18-18
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 5700 XT 8GB
Storage SAMSUNG 850 PRO 256 GB
Display(s) HP Compaq LA2306x
Case N/A
Audio Device(s) GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS E1
Power Supply DeepCool PM750D 750W Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Cougar Minos X2
Keyboard Corsair K70 MX RED
Software Windows 11 22H2
Didn't you already replied those?? And as for proof see GN video again.

Please provide the link to the video with exact timestamp where Steve compared junction temperature with edge temperature. Judging from your posts, you either don't watch his video or pay enough attention or watch his videos at all.

You seem to have signed up this year, I dont understand why you are so mad at him.

Do you work for GN or MSI? I dont understand why people are offended on behalf of corporations.

I've been reading TPU for a hell of a long time (i can't recall how long it's been that long).

And...I immensely dislike poor reporting, trashing reporting, tabloid-tier reporting.

The tech community is full of fanboys and people trashing companies all the time. Sometimes it's deserved but a lot of times it isn't. Articles like this and the MSI one perpetuate the tribalism in the community, it unfairly creates drama and negative attitudes towards companies that shouldn't exist.

Sure, if a company or person does something wrong, then hold them to account. Such as what people are doing with this writer. But if they haven't, the story is incorrect etc and there hasn't even been the minimum of legwork during the research of an article then there's big issues.

And if I'm "mad" (not saying I am), it's for the lack of humility/apology/proper correctrion or retraction not just with this artcile but others before.

Trashing tech companies under the guise of tech journalism has hints of bias.

Also, attacking people who are making legitimate points in polite ways doesn't do yourself any favours either.