• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Influencing YouTube Tech Journalists' Product-Placements, Alleges Whistleblower

Well, the pattern is there:
1) publish unverified information from dubious sources as fact(s)
2) hope no one would notice or care enough to call TPU/btarnur out on it
3) if someone does, (pretend to) apologize, and optionally cite some lame excuse
4) actually learn nothing from the experience, and move on.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

The problem isn't that a mistake was made. That is a problem, not the problem. The bigger issue is that it keeps happening.

btarnur is indefensible:
- this was posted not as an editorial or an opinion piece, but as actual news, with no language indicating that the information presented may not be (at all) accurate;
- this was posted on TechPowerUp, which is a website that still has and tries to maintain some level of credibility and reputation (I assume);
- this was posted not by some random intern or newbie, but by the a senior member and editior, who has at least 12 years of experience (self-admitted).

Of course some people would assume btarnur has an agenda. The other option would mean he hasn't learned anything about journalism in 12 years! I'm not sure which would be worse of the two, both options look awful.

Last edited:
System Name New Horyzen
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
Cooling Noctua U-12S
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5700XT
Storage A lot
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) ESI Maya44 eX, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd, Samson Meteor, Mixer and Headphone Amp
Power Supply SeaSonic M12II 750W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard HyperX Alloy & Logitech G13
Software All of it
The source is Reddit, so you got a source about as good as /dev/null is a place to store your backups.

IIRC we had the exact same bullshit story last year, published unchecked, without any validation to speak off.
Is this the "hole before holiday season"-story now?
Will we get to read the same unchecked gargabe that may aswell have been writen by a 4chan troll next year again?

2nd one might actually prompt an investigation, especially if you'd also mention GPP.
Nvidia knows where questionable legal turns into billion dollar fine by EU illegal.
They will be very carefuly navigating around that, by means of cooperating with software devs and slowly turning themself into a walled garden.

Intel has run into the EU on the competetive front a few times, and since then, the fines were significantly increased. They are not GDPR levels of "20,000,000€ or 4% of last years revenue, whatever is higher" levels, but slowly getting there.

killthelawyers

Nor does your post. You've censored your bar number... we can't validate anything and that's a weird way to brag.

I can actaully think of some legally iffy things TPU has done (advertising partners anyone?), but this article? It's never going to go anywhere in court.

Sorry, I'm not willing to completely deanonymize myself, so I guess you'll have to live with the presumption that I forged a bar card for a flyover state and then let it sit in my wallet for years so that I could later win an argument with some rando on the internet.

The reason it's not going anywhere is because Steve didn't go nuclear. Even as limited purpose public figures, this article did enough to establish a defamation claim for GN. I like TPU so I'm glad it ended there, but this should be a serious wake up call for them. Your business is worth more than daily click bait so act accordingly.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
forged a bar card

I was more thinking along the lines of google images rather than forgery. Weirder crap has happened. Heck, it could be expired too for all I know.

If I'm wrong, then you have nothing to prove and shouldn't fret on it. But I think you know I am right to be at least a little suspicious in the modern online world.

The reason it's not going anywhere is because Steve didn't go nuclear.

Or rather, because it did not really impact him in any meaningful capacity. There must be damage or loss for a civil claim like that. There is none.

Regardless, you and I will both agree it needs to be managed better from here. Do not lose sight of the fact I've been saying that for eons, really. We agree there. I just think it isn't anything honestly worth the level of drama seen here... especially when I've seen just as bad (if not worse) elsewhere.

Last edited:
As I said, "here's what's _being alleged_", and an example of the allegation. I cast no aspersions on the neutrality of GamersNexus, this could be anyone making YouTube videos with boxes in the background (which is pretty much every YouTube-based media). I follow GN, so their video came up on top.

"I cast no aspersions on the neutrality of GamersNexus, this could be anyone making YouTube videos with boxes in the background (which is pretty much every YouTube-based media)"

Yeah, but you put the thumbnail on an article about paid shills. How does that not cast aspersions on the neutrality of the youtuber whose image you posted? Where is your brain? By putting the image of the youtuber there, you directly implied that they were engaging in said practice.

"I follow GN, so their video came up on top."

Again, this excuse is pathetic, see comment above. It would have been better if you had investigated this yourself and found real evidence of the payment, and linked a youtuber who received that payment, and had boxes in the background.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
There was no talk about any payments being made to this guy, you people are out of touch with anything related to this matter.

Last edited:
tpu has been on a downward slide for the last year
and I am pretty sure its financial at this stage they seem to be grasping at straws trying to drive traffic up and its backfiring big time

welp grab your smores-fixings kids and lets roast one over the embers of tpu

I really hope you're wrong. The quality of tech journalism has declined drastically in the past few years, to the point that there are very few sources for reliable, accurate, in-depth technical information remaining. Outlets like PC Perspective, Tech Report, and even HardOCP have either shut the doors, or lost nearly every member of staff that contributed to their well-deserved reputations. I hope TPU isn't headed towards a similar outcome. Gamers Nexus is one of the few outlets remaining that serves this market well, and it's sad to see them associated with this conspiratorial nonsense.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
tpu has been on a downward slide for the last year
and I am pretty sure its financial at this stage they seem to be grasping at straws trying to drive traffic up and its backfiring big time

welp grab your smores-fixings kids and lets roast one over the embers of tpu
this is a major screw up.major one.

but tpu is still all around the best.
I have accounts on several ones,I check them maybe once a week while I go on TPU several times a day.why ? cause it's good and it's got what I need.
that's why I'm saddened by some low brow writing that btranur sometimes produces.it's just not up to this site's standards.
and frankly whoever allows this is just as responsible as he is.

Sorry, I'm not willing to completely deanonymize myself, so I guess you'll have to live with the presumption that I forged a bar card for a flyover state and then let it sit in my wallet for years so that I could later win an argument with some rando on the internet.

You have to look at it from others perspective like R-T-B

I was more thinking along the lines of google images rather than forgery. Weirder crap has happened. Heck, it could be expired too for all I know.

If I'm wrong, then you have nothing to prove and shouldn't fret on it. But I think you know I am right to be at least a little suspicious in the modern online world.

Part of the discussion is about not checking sources, validating the authenticity and a picture is presented blocking the bar number that is used to check. In that sense its kind of funny.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Processor Intel i9-9900KS @ 5.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 32GB Viper Steel Series DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe + 2TB Intel 960p NVMe + 512GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe + 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) 65" LG C9 OLED
Case Lian Li O11D-XL
Audio Device(s) Audeze Mobius headset, Logitech Z906 speakers
Power Supply Corsair AX1000 Titanium
Really shameful that you guys grab reddit nonsense and report on it as if it's news without doing any leg work on your own to verify claims and sources. You really should have taken this entire hit piece down.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
and frankly whoever allows this is just as responsible as he is.

Well, I hate to say it but...

that'd be one of two groups/people.

a.) W1zzard

or

b.) his readers.

So really, there aren't many parties to complain too until we end up looking in a mirror.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
Does a tech site really need a news sections

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Freesync getting renamed gsync compatible somehow - Proven without doubt ,skull duggery occuring.
It's AMD's fault, they let their FreeSync brand get trash quality monitors that ran their logo into the ground, NVIDIA just reaped the benefits of known quality logo, and their actual certification program that ensures every monitor that gets the logo is an actual usable quality product. NVIDIA also offers G-Sync Ultimate, which AMD still has no answer for even with it's FreeSync 2.

Releasing half assed next gen and supers all over the show befuddling the market.
It's called product superiority .. they are have tech that AMD is yet to implement, and they have the performance and power and node advantage.
STEALING others work ie reshade to sell more cards.
It's called getting shit done and serving your customers, allowing them to have officially supported graphics mods right built into their driver. They have Ansel, Highlights, driver level AO, FreeStyle, Super Resolution image capturing, AI image capture, Gif ShadowPlay .. etc. AMD is miles behind this area.

Over hype in the extreme RTX.
It's called DXR support, and it's coming to consoles, and NVIDIA is ahead in this regard. They are also ahead in AI and Variable Rate Shading.

Your post is a bunch on nonsesne. You've taken every NVIDIA advantage and somehow turned it into a flaw through some weird mental gymnastics!

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
It's AMD's fault, they let their FreeSync brand get trash quality monitors that ran their logo into the ground, NVIDIA just reaped the benefits of known quality logo, and their actual certification program that ensures every monitor that gets the logo is an actual usable quality product. NVIDIA also offers G-Sync Ultimate, which AMD still has no answer for even with it's FreeSync 2.

It's called product superiority .. they are have tech that AMD is yet to implement, and they have the performance and power and node advantage.

It's called getting shit done and serving your customers, allowing them to have officially supported graphics mods right built into their driver. They have Ansel, Highlights, driver level AO, FreeStyle, Super Resolution image capturing, AI image capture, Gif ShadowPlay .. etc. AMD is miles behind this area.

It's called DXR support, and it's coming to consoles, and NVIDIA is ahead in this regard. They are also ahead in AI and Variable Rate Shading.

Your post is a bunch on nonsesne. You've taken every NVIDIA advantage and somehow turned it into a flaw through some weird mental gymnastics!
Nvidia took most of these advantages and will make them a flaw.

TV's will tie up with console specs over pc branded proprietary tech every time. Hence AMD'S lack of fight, they don't need to.
Nvidia charge hefty premiums for all such advances in technology to CONSUMER s.

2060 ,2060Ti, 2060 super plus all the air ,toxic ,Rog branding equals a complete wall of nonsense for a new to the platform buyer, noob.

They have been adjusting the way their gpu and driver settings run to optimise for framerates etc , while adding useful stuff, that's arguable if you have less than £1200.
I feel you are clueless as to what AMD driver's offer they ditched image filters years ago, how innovating Nvidia are ,inventing Rtx and Raytracing well see how that pans out if the console's Don't have transferability of Raytracing operations with Rtx , quite possible and Nvidia hint it's happening with them developing their own lol not Rtx games..
Companies are switching Ai as often as picking Nvidia or building their own.
I can live without any effect that reduces the quality of parts of the image ,i hope to be able to disable that when I get a chance.

Nvidia will make them as useless as physx or stereo 3d etc etc , proprietary is on the downward curve imho.

they ditched image filters years ago
They never had them to begin with. They don"t offer free camera as in Ansel, they don"t offer image capturing with super resolution as in Ansel, nor image capture with filters nor 360 degress capture or AI image processing "Green Screen". They don't have FreeStyle life functionality, NVIDIA has a massively better encoder and AI denoiser/enhancers.
that pans out if the console's Don't have transferability of Raytracing operations with Rtx
RTX is part of DXR, it's a transparent layer that doesn't care what consoles have. Just like all the games that are optimized for GCN still work on NVIDIA because they all support DX.
2060 ,2060Ti, 2060 super plus all the air ,toxic ,Rog branding equals a complete wall of nonsense for a new to the platform buyer, noob.
As oppsed to lazy ass AMD rebranding their shit every year: 480-580-590 .. and all of their lower end cards getting the same brand every damn year.
Nvidia will make them as useless as physx or stereo 3d etc etc , proprietary is on the downward curve imho.
NVIDIA supported Stereo 3D for a decade, while AMD ditched it in 2 years time. Talk about solid support here.
PhysX is a widely used physics engine. The GPU acceleration part of it became less important because all the engines now have GPU accelerated particle systems.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
they have the performance and power and node advantage.
No, just a full stop no, Nvidia is currently on TSMC's 12nm process for Turing. AMD is using TSMC's 7nm process currently deployed on Navi or Radeon 7.

Stop spreading BS

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It's called DXR support, and it's coming to consoles

You've got no idea what you're talking about. DXR is an API, more specifically a Windows API, got nothing to do with consoles for now. PS always had proprietary APIs.

RTX is part of DXR, it's a transparent layer that doesn't care what consoles have.

Again, you ain't got a single clue. RTX isn't part of DXR, it's just a development platform. You'll never see an "RTX" feature in a game, DXR is the feature.

Last edited:
No, just a full stop no, Nvidia is currently on TSMC's 12nm process for Turing. AMD is using TSMC's 7nm process currently deployed on Navi or Radeon 7.
Despite this, NVIDIA's 12nm is better than AMD's 7nm, that is the definition of a NODE ADVANTAGE. Learn to think before rushing to post.

You've got no idea what you're talking about. DXR is an API, more specifically a Windows API, got nothing to do with consoles as of now.
Xbox will use the DXR, just like it uses DX12.
Again, you ain't got a single clue. RTX isn't part of DXR, it's just a development platform. You'll never see an "RTX" feature in a game, DXR is the feature.
Nope, RTX is the hardware acceleration of DXR and DirectML, through the RT cores and the Tensor cores. Oh and Metro and Control call it RTX by the way. As well as Shadow Of Tomb Raider.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
They never had them to begin with. They don"t offer free camera as in Ansel, they don"t offer image capturing with super resolution as in Ansel, nor image capture with filters nor 360 degress capture or AI image processing "Green Screen". They don't have FreeStyle life functionality, NVIDIA has a massively better encoder and AI denoiser/enhancers.

RTX is part of DXR, it's a transparent layer that doesn't care what consoles have. Just like all the games that are optimized for GCN still work on NVIDIA because they all support DX.

As oppsed to lazy ass AMD rebranding their shit every year: 480-580-590 .. and all of their lower end cards getting the same brand every damn year.

NVIDIA supported Stereo 3D for a decade, while AMD ditched it in 2 years time. Talk about solid support here.
PhysX is a widely used physics engine. The GPU acceleration part of it became less important because all the engines now have GPU accelerated particle systems.

Aww shit am i that old, i think it was Ati that had image filters, i think that was the first Ati card i bought , right now I can't remember what it was(rage 128?!) called but it got reflashed to a pro , i wish I could be reflashed right now, been a long day.

Im obviously not bothered about ansel in any way mate ,,it's not a negative but not the positive you see for most people, i play games not film or photography them, niche bro.

Your joking about the rebrands surely some of the supers didn't always be supers, they got took pre shelfand off some and reflashed for a lower MSRP, to save face while maybe moving stock.

Take those green shades off bro.

And ffs look up Rtx , it's proprietary, it's not a drop in slide out option with Dxr12.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Your joking about the rebrands surely some of the supers didn't always be supers, they got took pre shelf, and reflashed for a lower MSRP, to save face while maybe moving stock.
Nope, each super card is a higher core count card compared to the non super card. Sometimes even with more RAM and memory bandwidth.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Despite this, NVIDIA's 12nm is better than AMD's 7nm, that is the definition of a NODE ADVANTAGE.

No, the definition of node advantage is when your advantage comes from... the node. It can't be that here because both nodes come from the same company (TSMC)

Nvidias advantage comes from superior chip design.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Nope, each super card is a higher core count card compared to the non super card. Sometimes even with more RAM and memory bandwidth.
I believe the 2070super was a 2080 in some cases.