• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Influencing YouTube Tech Journalists' Product-Placements, Alleges Whistleblower

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I was talking about this news piece.
I understand that and you have every right to air you're opinions as many have done here, however you have been posting similar stuff in the 1650/1660 Super news release threads too which confused me a little.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I somehow managed to miss this particular meltdown, and I have a little to say. My words are harsh, but I hope they will be taken in the spirit they are written: as advice from someone who wants and believes you can do better.

@W1zzard, while it is admirable that you trust your staff this much to do what you believe is best, this debacle has made it pretty obvious that such a hands-off approach is no longer possible. I predicted a long time ago that allowing TPU to post yellow journalism would get this site in real trouble one day, and this was very nearly it. If this "article" had been targeted at a company with a real legal department and not a tech reviewer, you would personally be in serious s**t right now. If you don't want that to happen, you need to step up and take charge - or consider stepping aside and letting someone else take that responsibility.

@btarunr, you have got to stop writing s**tty articles based on rumours. You should be extremely ashamed of yourself because if your enormous cock-up had resulted in legal action, that could have been it for TPU - boom, no more site, no more community, all because you allowed your anti-NVIDIA hardon to write "news" for you. Not to mention that it's quite likely that you would have landed W1zz in legal trouble, and that's a really terrible thing to do to someone who's put you in a position of trust, regardless of whether you intended to or not. Being senior editor comes with responsibilities, one of which is knowing your own biases and hence knowing when to step aside and let someone else write the article you want to write.

I understand that this is the age of distraction, with everything riding on being the first to publish, but I don't visit TPU for the latest rumours that I can get from any forum or reddit post - I visit for quality. That is what made this site a worthwhile place to be, and the lack thereof is what will kill it. W1zz and bta, I know you can do better, and I absolutely trust you to do so. Please show me - and all of TPU - that our trust isn't misplaced.

System Name main rig
Processor 1600X @4.05ghz
Motherboard ASUS B350 Prime PLUS
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair 16 GB (dual ch.)
Video Card(s) Pitcairn XT
Storage 500 GB SSD, 12 TB RAID0
Display(s) UltraGear 27GL850-B w/ Freesync
Case Antec P193
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar
Power Supply Corsair 650W
Mouse MX518
Keyboard daskeyboard s /w cherry red switches
Software Fedora Rawhide
Gotta love the patronizing , passive-aggressive, threatening tone in some of the posts of forum users who seem to "know better" how to conduct a business than the actual owner o_O
Almost speaks for itself.

Gotta love the patronizing , passive-aggressive, threatening tone in some of the posts of forum users who seem to "know better" how to conduct a business than the actual owner o_O
Almost speaks for itself.
I am in awe at your mastery of irony.

System Name main rig
Processor 1600X @4.05ghz
Cooling Corsair H60
Case Antec P193
Mouse MX518
Software Fedora Rawhide
[...]irony[...]

Wishful thinking.

Online, I stick to not using irony or any other easily misunderstood kind of tropes.
Rest assured - you can take what was said there at face value.

Last edited:
Wishful thinking.

Online, I stick to not using irony or any other easily misunderstood kind of tropes.
Rest assured - you can take what was said there at face value.
Getting a little r/iamverysmart over here my man, maybe tone it down a little. Especially since you're assuring us of your total sincerity and lack of guile immediately after a post that was entirely comprised of sarcasm and implied rather than overt meaning.

System Name main rig
Processor 1600X @4.05ghz
Cooling Corsair H60
Case Antec P193
Mouse MX518
Software Fedora Rawhide
Further insisting on my post being meant ironically or sarcastically after I clarified it wasn't at all is basically like trying to convince me that my name was "Paul" when I am telling you it's "Frank".
So I am not quite sure what you're trying to achieve here.

Getting a little r/iamverysmart over here my man

Also this toxicity out of nowhere... fascinating.

Cavauro

This is the first time I've felt the need to comment on a piece here. The brazen unprofessionalism of the article—before retractions and redactions—was incredible. It's fortunate that GN was content with putting out a "shame" video about the situation and moving on.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
While no one will likely disagree the article was a steamy pile, I don't think there was anything else GN could really do. I don't think TPU ever explicitly said GN was doing it but rather just used GN's picture as a cover picture. Is that enough? I dunno. Shouldn't be. Add to that that TPU and GN aren't even in the same jurisdiction, let alone country, and you get a big ole f-ing mess.

That and I don't understand why everybody thinks the legal system should be used to settle disputes about being called names.

Why is this BS still on this website?

It's been debunked a 100 times.

What it's talking about is 100% unlawful.

It's not been corroborated by a single YT reviewer even anonymously.

16 pages of worthless discussion about some sneaky AMD fanboy who tried hard to denigrate NVIDIA and Intel and he only got his fame here on TPU as even Reddit editors refused to keep this BS post. Some quality sh1tposting disguised as a news piece. LMAO.

Edit: I've just talked to W1zzard and as a result he removed the article from the news reel but left the discussion.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Well, I hate to say it but...

that'd be one of two groups/people.

a.) W1zzard

or

b.) his readers.

So really, there aren't many parties to complain too until we end up looking in a mirror.

Exactly. Clickbait is what it is because.... yep :toast:

Reflection needs to go both ways here. Was also what I was alluding to in my earlier posts on this. Tech press needs to reflect on what's happening, not just today but always. You are what you report. And readers reinforce that by clicking.

That and I don't understand why everybody thinks the legal system should be used to settle disputes about being called names.

Hehe yeah. Typical, must be an American thing.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
No one will give a crap in a year time (its already phasing out as is). It will just chalk up to a mess up for an article, and that is that.

The hate spewed from a mistake here is astounding. People really are ravenous. Anyway, bta apologized and Steve accepted it. bta admitted his mistakes. Live and learn. Forgive. Some people take this as the next big change in society as a whole when in reality, this is nothing.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440

I don't think defamation fits here as GN was never used by name or any other matter. Just an image used to describe the problem. I say problem loosely. But I am sure someone could cry long enough to get it through.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Can we just let this die already? It's done, it's over with, move on.

NVIDIA is influencing YouTube-based influencers and journalists to minimize the impact of "Navi," by dictating product placements and telling them which cards not to compare RX 5700-series cards with (theirs). Back in 2018, NVIDIA tried to use its market position to push AMD Radeon out of most graphics card manufacturers' recognizable brands (think MSI Gaming, ASUS ROG Strix, etc.), by forcing exclusivity of these brands to NVIDIA GeForce. The so-called GeForce Partners Program, or GPP, was immediately called out by the media with an investigative report by Kyle Bennet. The outrage GPP sparked burned the expensive, pointless, and barely-legal process to the ground. Fast-forward to 2019, and we see NVIDIA back to a different kind of questionable practice: influencing the influencers by monopolizing product-placement in their purportedly unbiased YouTube-based content.

One such tech-influencer created an anonymous account and blew the whistle on Reddit. According to them, NVIDIA marketing has a dictatorial attitude toward YouTube-based journalists that it provides free pre-NDA samples to. These NVIDIA Time to Market (NVTTM) reference-design boxes, with the recognizable bright green SKU insert in the bottom-right corners, dominate the shelves most YouTube-based tech journalists use as backgrounds in their video reports. According to the whistleblower, this isn't a coincidence. NVIDIA is allegedly telling YouTubers to fill their shelves with NVIDIA graphics card boxes when reviewing Intel and AMD products. This could even include combinations of Intel and AMD products that have little to do with NVIDIA (such as a Ryzen processor review). What's worse, NVIDIA practically holds some of these YouTubers' hands when they review AMD Radeon products, by telling them exactly which SKUs to compare AMD graphics cards to, to minimize the competitive pressure on NVIDIA RTX 20-series graphics cards.

Edit: In an earlier iteration of this article we used a screenshot of a YouTube video to illustrate what's being alleged by the whistleblower. We see now that we made an error in judgment, and our intention wasn't to single out any YouTuber, or make the discussion about that particular YouTuber. We have since edited out the illustration and profoundly apologized to that YouTuber. We offer the same apology to our readers.

The whistleblower describes NVIDIA's influence over RX 5700-series reviews as follows:
“When I started getting ready for RX 5700 reviews, NV PR (names removed) really wanted YouTubers to rehash RX 580/590 to distract from the RX 5700 advancements. NVIDIA pushed comparing AMD with AMD and keeping their cards out of the mix for benchmarks. This was the first time I got a very firm message from NVIDIA that if I gave a very favorable RX 5700 review that NVIDIA would have to evaluate how "good of a partner" my channel is for future review hardware. I am pretty sure you can find other examples of this happening to other channels that have talked about this stuff too.
It's alleged that two specific people in NVIDIA PR "handle" YouTube-based journalists. Their influence goes back to the Radeon Vega days (mid-2017), when NVIDIA enjoyed a domination over the market. "This all started back when first Vega 7 cards were coming out and now NVIDIA, particularly NV PR (names removed), both Press Relations employees for NVIDIA, are pushing this very hard since RX 5700 cards were released," they write.

NVIDIA is also pushing for unpaid and sometimes paid product-placement of its reference GeForce RTX and GeForce GTX product boxes on the shelves of reviewers when reviewing AMD and Intel products; and display of AMD Radeon products in the background when reviewing NVIDIA products is a strict no-no. "NVIDIA is also asking YouTubers to do other things in AMD and Intel videos. NVIDIA asked me and others to make sure we always had NVIDIA branding visible in AMD and Intel coverage videos. NVIDIA asked for NVIDIA GTX and RTX boxes and cards to be visible in all AMD videos, videos that have nothing to do with NVIDIA products. NVIDIA asked me to make sure and never use AMD video cards when reviewing AMD and Intel CPUs. Some YouTubers are paid for this branding and product placement and others are not paid," they write.

On several YouTube videos, rows of GeForce RTX boxes in the field of view with content related to AMD products are hard to miss. Find examples of these videos yourself. Product placements are a reality, and need not affect the credibility of the reviewer making the content.

Edit: In an earlier iteration of this article we used a screenshot of a YouTube video to illustrate what's being alleged by the whistleblower. We see now that we made an error in judgment, and our intention wasn't to single out any YouTuber, or make the discussion about that particular YouTuber. We have since edited out the illustration and profoundly apologized to that YouTuber. We offer the same apology to our readers.

We are yet to find examples of the bigger allegation, that of NVIDIA micro-managing RX 5700-series reviews, but a good place to start would be any exclusive comparison between the $350 RX 5700 and the $400 RTX 2060 SUPER while not comparing the latter to the $400 RX 5700 XT; or worse, comparing the $400 RX 5700 XT to the $500 RTX 2070 SUPER. The whistleblower alleges that some YouTubers have even been influenced to completely keep NVIDIA cards off their comparisons, and pit the RX 5700 against older AMD hardware.

A way forward is being proposed for YouTubers by the whistleblower: full-disclosure in the description. "I guess none of this is illegal, but it is kind of dirty. "Pay to play" branding and product placement is nothing new. It is done all the time in movies, but reviews are not movies. Reviews are supposed to be focused on the product you are looking for information on, not filled with product placement by a competing GPU maker. If YouTubers are going to do this I think it should be stated as happening in the video description. If NVIDIA is buying product placement in AMD coverage videos, that should be stated in the video description. This marketing should require a disclosure. NVIDIA buying YouTubers needs to be exposed and talked about."

Here's the full text of the post on Reddit:
I totally believe it!

I don't think defamation fits here as GN was never used by name or any other matter. Just an image used to describe the problem. I say problem loosely. But I am sure someone could cry long enough to get it through.
That depends on the specific jurisdiction. There are definitely places where it can be considered defamation to use someone's likeness to illustrate a point they would not support. It may also fall under this, which states "The rights are based in tort law, and parallel Prosser's "Four Torts" which might be summarized as : 1) Intrusion upon physical solitude; 2) public disclosure of private facts; 3) depiction in a false light; and 4) appropriation of name and likeness. "

Not that it's relevant here, my point was just that if you're going to bitch about "Waaahhh insults are legally actionable/ Since when? Must be an american problem!", it generally helps to be aware that they've been a legally actionable problem in the majority of western countries since the Romans, hence for nearly two thousand years, whereas the USA has only existed for 243 of those.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Edit: I've just talked to W1zzard and as a result he removed the article from the news reel but left the discussion.
Really? I thought he or bt or both said they wouldn't be doing that....

I'm curious to hear why the change of heart............

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I think you glazed over the point of his post. American's cry lawyer if their cheezeburger is missing ketchup. We are a bunch of pansies now.

GN are shills. I still remember the RX 480 and RX 580 reviews, where Steve kept finding these absurd 0.1% lows for the RX 480 and 580, that NO OTHER review site has ever found or ever will, because they don't exist. He was finding that every other game had something like 20fps lows with a RX 470,480 and 570,580 GPU, basically scaring people into thinking their expensive mid range RX 580 would be a stuttering mess if they bought it, even though the averages were quite good.

In fact GN's Steve was the only "reviewer" that was testing reference RX 480's and RX 580's against custom AIB OC'ed GTX 1060 6GB and showing the RX 480 and 580 in a negative light, being slower than the 1060 6GB, when in fact every other review site compared custom to custom and showed the cards either tied or the RX 580 leading.

GN are shills. I still remember the RX 480 and RX 580 reviews, where Steve kept finding these absurd 0.1% lows for the RX 480 and 580, that NO OTHER review site has ever found or ever will, because they don't exist. He was finding that every other game had something like 20fps lows with a RX 470,480 and 570,580 GPU, basically scaring people into thinking their expensive mid range RX 580 would be a stuttering mess if they bought it, even though the averages were quite good.

In fact GN's Steve was the only "reviewer" that was testing reference RX 480's and RX 580's against custom AIB OC'ed GTX 1060 6GB and showing the RX 480 and 580 in a negative light, being slower than the 1060 6GB, when in fact every other review site compared custom to custom and showed the cards either tied or the RX 580 leading.
Can you give some examples of this?

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I think you glazed over the point of his post. American's cry lawyer if their cheezeburger is missing ketchup. We are a bunch of pansies now.

Thank you. Throwing 'defamation' out there like that is another typical example. Don't make this bigger than it is. Could you go to court over this, sure! SHOULD you though?

Oh and by the by - Steve apparently agrees. So its definitely time to drop it :)

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Thank you. Throwing 'defamation' out there like that is another typical example. Don't make this bigger than it is. Could you go to court over this, sure! SHOULD you though?

I could understand if the article was entirely written about Steve from Gamer's Nexus being a giant douche and taking bribes from a turd sandwich.

But it wasn't (I think, never saw the original). Again, mountain -> mole Hill.

System Name New Horyzen
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
Cooling Noctua U-12S
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5700XT
Storage A lot
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) ESI Maya44 eX, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd, Samson Meteor, Mixer and Headphone Amp
Power Supply SeaSonic M12II 750W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard HyperX Alloy & Logitech G13
Software All of it
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
System Name New Horyzen
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
Cooling Noctua U-12S
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5700XT
Storage A lot
Case Modded Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) ESI Maya44 eX, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd, Samson Meteor, Mixer and Headphone Amp
Power Supply SeaSonic M12II 750W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard HyperX Alloy & Logitech G13
Software All of it
Say what now

That was bad on a technical fuck up layer. Yes, Nvidia should have disclosed that. After the fuckups with Microsoft and Apple, I would believe an Nvidia engineer claiming the slow half Gigabyte slipped through QA.

Intel on the other hand, bribed Dell and German electronics store chain MediaMarkt.
Their new "meet the competition"-shenanigans are worrisome to say the least.