• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA is Preparing Co-Packaged Photonics for NVLink

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
Uhm, I don't want to be the party crasher, but both light and RF radiation are the same thing, just different wavelenghts and different propagation media. They both obey the same laws of physics.
Simply, optics provide better spectrum efficiency.

Well i don't want to be the party crasher in my turn but i really don't see how Radio Frequecny radiation is related to my comment ( or this discussion ) since nobody mentioned it .....

Yes radio frequency obeys to the same laws of physics with light considering both are parts of electromagnetic radiation spectrum but nope they are not the same thing given precisely their different wavelengths ( which indicate their energy ) make them have totally different properties . For example Radio wavelenght is very high which in returns makes it's frequency ( read energy ) very low ( as compared to the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum https://www.justscience.in/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/electromagneticspectrum.jpg ) so this means it will be more easily absorbed by a given body compared to a signal with much higher frequency ( read energy ) which will traverse the same body . Anyways again this is off topic since nobody mentioned RF !

The topic was to know if fiber optic can be considered as wireless which of course the answer is no , even though as i already mentioned wireless transmition of high volume of information through powerfull light signal ( read very short wavelenghts on the electromagnetic spectrum ) exist but only for very particular applications that are far from making it in our living rooms .

Last edited:
You're right, of course, but nobody was actually partying very hard on this unexciting news. I may be the first using copper/optic wire, but only as analogy, and that because whole (PR) was lacking usable and factual data...