• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Presents the TITAN RTX 24GB Graphics Card at $2,499

System Name Custom
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X 3D
Motherboard Asus Prime
Cooling Li Lian All in One RGB
Memory 64 GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 980 2tb
Display(s) Samsung 8K 85inch
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) Samsung Dolby Atmos 7.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply EVGA 120-G2-1000-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 1000 W Power Supply
So surely for $2500 this card can use ray tracing at 4K (now that 4K is mainstream with 65 inch HDR TVs under $900) with at least 30 fps, right? Hurry up with an answer. My banker is on the other line asking if I am serious about opening this Home Equity Line of Credit.

Wait what do you mean "no but 1440p at almost 22fps may now be possible"? Will they be defective like the number of 2080ti, 2080, and 2070 cards that blue screened or artifacted in the first 2 months?

Wait, did you just suggest buying 2 of these for $5000 to see how high I can get with 1440p? Sure... :kookoo:

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
So surely for $2500 this card can use ray tracing at 4K (now that 4K is mainstream with 65 inch HDR TVs under $900) with at least 30 fps, right? Hurry up with an answer. My banker is on the other line asking if I am serious about opening this Home Equity Line of Credit.

Wait what do you mean "no but 1440p at almost 22fps may now be possible"? Will they be defective like the number of 2080ti, 2080, and 2070 cards that blue screened or artifacted in the first 2 months?

Wait, did you just suggest buying 2 of these for $5000 to see how high I can get with 1440p? Sure... :kookoo:

4K isn't mainstream for PC monitors in appropriate sizes...less than 2% of users have one (says steam stats).

Perhaps you can go take a look at this thread for some up to date news on its RT performance: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-performance-patch-up-to-50-fps-gains.250201/

You also have no idea how many cards have had issues. But you also must have missed the part about GN saying AIBs % were extremely low at that time (when people posted of issues) and NVIDIA said it wasn't higher than normal. Some of the issues were also situation specific and resolved with driver updates. The reality is, we have no idea. But I can tell you if it was a rampant issue, we would have seen A LOT more unhappy people than we did. Also, if you believe in the theory that the memory IC was the problem (I don't, few in the know seem to think so) they have also started using samsung along with the micron chips.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
Finally!!! I need too sli 2 of these so I can play Q-Bert @ 480i!!!

500 cheaper than titan v nice
Any fp64 performance numbers?

500 cheaper than titan v nice
Any fp64 performance numbers?

White paper on Turing is

Nvidia said:
The FP64 TFLOP rate is 1/32nd the TFLOP rate of FP32 operations. The small number of FP64 hardware units are included to ensure any programs with FP64 code operates correctly.

Last edited:
System Name Custom
Motherboard Asus Prime
Memory 64 GB DDR4
Storage Samsung 980 2tb
4K isn't mainstream for PC monitors in appropriate sizes...less than 2% of users have one (says steam stats).

Perhaps you can go take a look at this thread for some up to date news on its RT performance: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-performance-patch-up-to-50-fps-gains.250201/

You also have no idea how many cards have had issues. But you also must have missed the part about GN saying AIBs % were extremely low at that time (when people posted of issues) and NVIDIA said it wasn't higher than normal. Some of the issues were also situation specific and resolved with driver updates. The reality is, we have no idea. But I can tell you if it was a rampant issue, we would have seen A LOT more unhappy people than we did. Also, if you believe in the theory that the memory IC was the problem (I don't, few in the know seem to think so) they have also started using samsung along with the micron chips.

So your response is A) most pc gamers are using less than 4k displays, B) the RTX defective rate isn't wide spread or in the margin of error, and C) an untested RT press release about today's driver update/patch negates the still lack of performance using RT features.

A) Maybe I'm in the small percentage of pc gamers, but since HDMI became the standard for displays nearly a decade ago I've been using HDTVs instead of computer monitors because of the larger screen size. Nearly all the PC gamers I know use high refresh rate 4k HDR HDTVs and and have dropped the standard pc monitor ages ago. Out of a few hundred pc gamers I personally know only 2 use 3 computer monitors for the novelty of multi monitor gaming. Most of us have traded in our computer desk for a couch, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a Xbox One controller. But steam stats may be a reason to think otherwise I guess.

B) If you think the faulty rate of RTX cards is in the manufacturing margin of error, there's a few tech sources to get you up to speed. On youtube: Gamer's Nexus (who received tons of faulty RTX cards to diagnose within two weeks during the first month of launch), Joker Productions (whose 2070 just died this week), Jayz2Cents, UFD Tech, Hardware Unboxed, etc. It was so bad that Nvidia themselves had to finally acknowledge it publicly and offer replacements after weeks of reported failures. You do realize we are still in the first 2 months since launch, right? There are nearly as many faulty/defective RTX videos on Youtube as there are RTX benchmarking videos.

C) The new of the performance gain via driver that came not even a few hours ago is an Nvidia press release. You seem savvy enough to realize that until you see actual benchmarks not to hang your hat on info in a press release. If we could believe everything a company says about its own product RTX would "just work" Jensen 2018.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
A. Yes, most PC gamers are.
1. I don't know a soul who does that... larger than 32" on a desk is obnoxious!
2. And I would bet GOOD money says most PC gamers are at a desk and not on a couch 12' away from their 65" 4K UHD TV. Only 2 or 3 people (you know) use PC monitors of HUNDREDS? I doubt that.
3. Steam Stats
steamst.jpg

B. Yep. Its close enough that this isn't some epidemic like many, including yourself have made it out to be.,
1. GN received like 5-7 cards when they did their testing (they said that in their video)... was it more, later? You do realize I said Gamers Nexus (the GN in my previous post) said those failure numbers, right? If you trust them enough to use them yourself as a supporting argument, you should trust them the same when I cite them as well.
2. NVIDIA replaces all failed cards anyway (without physical damage)... that isn't anything new.
3. Everyone complains more than they praise. 10s of thousands of these were sold. I bet a couple/few percent were bad (hundreds!)... but, a couple/few percent is around the average.

C. Of course I wouldn't hang my hat on it, but they listed the settings and had short movie clips showing these improvements. Surely they could have cherry picked it, but from what we saw in the videos (live shots with FPS counters) so far, they are pretty accurate in those. Here is to hoping its close, but, yeah, I believe it will be close enough to what they said and for these to now be playable as they say. ;)

Last edited:
System Name Custom
Motherboard Asus Prime
Memory 64 GB DDR4
Storage Samsung 980 2tb
Yes, but with a bit more updated information left on the table for those to make an educated opinion with. :)

System Name Custom
Motherboard Asus Prime
Memory 64 GB DDR4
Storage Samsung 980 2tb

But looking at your screenshot the gpu is the GTX1060. Of course the resolution used would be lower that 4k on most instances. Just as the resolution would be mostly 1440p with a 1080 and 4k with a 1080ti. Those hundreds of pc gamers that have migrated from the computer desk to the couch have 4k capable gpus that can use the 4k HDR TVs.

As far as Gamers Nexus is concerned, in the 1st video regarding the faulty cards he had about 5 RTX cards. In that same video he gave an invite to send more cards to narrow down the problem. In the followup video he had a LOT more because so many cards were going bad. Nearly every major tech Youtube channel had a faulty card on hand. That is not normal, and I've been buying gpus since 2002.

Lastly we can all hope that these drivers can improve the unrealized value we were sold with the RTX series. Patience goes a long way, but if we wait too long and keep trying to justify the unwarranted and absorbent cost of the RTX series, the next generation of cards will be here to fulfill those promises properly. Let's wait for some independent benching to see how much ground Nvidia has made up with this driver.

But looking at your screenshot the gpu is the GTX1060. Of course the resolution used would be lower that 4k on most instances. Just as the resolution would be mostly 1440p with a 1080 and 4k with a 1080ti. Those hundreds of pc gamers that have migrated from the computer desk to the couch have 4k capable gpus that can use the 4k HDR TVs.
Makes sense... its the most popular selling card for NVIDIA... its a sweetspot of cost and performance on that side of the fence. And of course it doesn't do 4K... neither does a 1070, nor does any AMD GPU outside of the V64 (60 fps ultra/high settings). Point here is, which you just solidified my point actually, is that not many can afford the performance of a 1080Ti or V64 with 4K UHD any size monitor. Hence part of the reason why adoption rates are so low. But steam stats are a decent cross section of millions... even couch gamers... that 1.45%. Which is the complete opposite of your 2/3 in the couple hundred you personally know.

As far as Gamers Nexus is concerned, in the 1st video regarding the faulty cards he had about 5 RTX cards. In that same video he gave an invite to send more cards to narrow down the problem. In the followup video he had a LOT more because so many cards were going bad. Nearly every major tech Youtube channel had a faulty card on hand. That is not normal, and I've been buying gpus since 2002.
He may have doubled that amount. But still, if there were hundreds that went bad... why can't he get a dozen from his half million subscribers or forum members or etc and so on. Listen, we both can't prove a thing... but I know what GN said in their vid about the return rates reportedly being around average. Perhaps look through the vids again? Maybe I should do the same... but I was floored when he said it.

Lastly we can all hope that these drivers can improve the unrealized value we were sold with the RTX series. Patience goes a long way, but if we wait too long and keep trying to justify the unwarranted and absorbent cost of the RTX series, the next generation of cards will be here to fulfill those promises properly. Let's wait for some independent benching to see how much ground Nvidia has made up with this driver.
As far as I understood from that video, it was both in the driver as well as game optimizations. Drivers will help a couple % for the architecture as they mature (if we are lucky). Some games more, some none at all.

I do agree with you regarding the abhorrent (I'm sure you meant that instead of absorbent, ;)) cost of the RTX series. For the first two months, it was pretty bad. Due to market adjustments of many kinds, 1080Ti's are now within $100-$200 as 2080 Ti's. 1080's are $580+ now and a 25% faster card in a 2080 is $750 (all newegg numbers, new, not refurb). A 2070 is $500+ and trades beats (by 10%+ at 1080p) the more expensive 1080. There is always the AMD side, the pricing is MUCH lower, but, its flagship can't 4K well and is barely a 2560x1440 High Hz card (will pound through 60 hz) and is WELL behind the 2080Ti (37%). The 2070 also beats V64 while using 1/2 the power (its also $100 cheaper). The GPU market is a messy place my friend. :(

Last edited:
I was looking forward to release of Titan RTX hoping to get some cheaper 64-bit double precision math performance out of it and now this: Titan RTX = 0.51 TFLOPS Double Precision FP64, my old Titan V is giving me 6.9 TFLOPS FP64! This is a huge downgrade for anyone doing math modeling. Yet another NVidias' product segmentation. They deliberately crippled double precision performance on Titan RTX. The only current choice remaining for us pro users is Tesla V100 with $10K price tag. I paid $8.5K for triple Titan V GPUs giving me nearly 21 TFLOPS of FP64 and I'd have to pay $30K for 21 FP64 performance now. Where is the logic in that? NVidia has gone completely loco with pricing. When my Titans V die on me I'll go for AMD VEGA Instinct MI60 if price is more normal. If not, I'm f...ed.

If you want massive FP64 performance your only choice will be volta. AFAIK turing while using same SM configuration as volta the primary focus is rendering and ray tracing performance. Volta is still the way to go if you want proper FP64.

System Name [H]arbringer
Processor 4x 61XX ES @3.5Ghz (48cores)
Motherboard SM GL
Cooling 3x xspc rx360, rx240, 4x DT G34 snipers, D5 pump.
Memory 16x gskill DDR3 1600 cas6 2gb
Video Card(s) blah bigadv folder no gfx needed
Storage 32GB Sammy SSD
Display(s) headless
Case Xigmatek Elysium (whats left of it)
Audio Device(s) yawn
Power Supply Antec 1200w HCP
Software Ubuntu 10.10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1780855 http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2158678 http://ww
If you want massive FP64 performance your only choice will be volta. AFAIK turing while using same SM configuration as volta the primary focus is rendering and ray tracing performance. Volta is still the way to go if you want proper FP64.

Yes, unfortunately, Titan V, and RTX 2070-2080ti only allow nvlink for non-compute activities... this seems to suggest that this nvlink is unlocked for compute mode... which makes it a half priced Quadro 6000.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
2749 euros here in Finland

Few more shaders than 2080 Ti, full memory bus, double memory size... and double the price. Nvidia, are you serious, not even the "high-end chip", just the same chip what the GeForce model has...

edit: Or correct me, do they use HBM with the best Turing GPU?

Few more shaders than 2080 Ti, full memory bus, double memory size... and double the price. Nvidia, are you serious, not even the "high-end chip", just the same chip what the GeForce model has...

Nope, GDDR6

HBM wouldn't even be putting lipstick on a pig, but making that pig fatter as it costs more to implement in the first place. What did Titan V cost in Finland on release? Here is the states it was $500 more and by all accounts not named DP, is faster with over 2x the memory for those prosumers, data scientists, and compute who its marketed towards.

I can see why gamers would be upset, and those who require DP in their work. But outside of that, for the market it wants, its cheaper and faster in most cases.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro
Cooling Wraith Prism
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz 16GB (4x8GB)
Video Card(s) -
Storage Samsung 850 Evo, 860 Evo, 980 and Crucial MX500
Display(s) Samsung Neo G9 Odyssey
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply -
VR HMD Quest 2
The only reason I would want this is by winning it in some competition lol

D

Deleted member 177333

lol...still not interested in selling many Turing GPUs it seems. Awful price / performance ratio as expected.

System Name Custom
Motherboard Asus Prime
Memory 64 GB DDR4
Storage Samsung 980 2tb
I remember the Nvidia RTX conference being open in one tab, and the RTX 2080ti in my product cart in the other tab. I was so close to impulse buying the thing as it was being announced. Bad habit of buying a new high end gpu or cpu each year. RTX made me break the cycle.
Since nearly all games these days are developed for consoles and pc, a new gpu won't be on my to-do list until the new consoles arrive in 2020. At that point the RTX 4000 series should be out along with AMD's Navi, latest Ryzen, or Intel I9 to power the pc versions of games like Cyberpunk and Elder Scrolls 6.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
I have bought multiple cars for less money than this card LOL.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C

Diogo

Do you think government should be stepping in to regulate the prices of phones after all those iphones are over $1000 now, cant be allowing that right? The price of filet mignon? The price of diamonds? Oh, we should have the government break up mercedes, they have a monopoly on luxury RWD wagons. And dont forget coca-cola, they should be broken up too, they have a monopoly on coca cola after all!

We do not need governments regulating luxuries, we are not a communist society. The whole point of luxuries is that people with money can afford them. There is an argument to be had that the ever rising price of luxury GPUs is cranking the price on the rest, but there is an equally valid counterargument that this is only the result of a single GPU manufacturer being on top, if AMD were competitive prices would be no higher then the FERMI era. Nvidia GPUs are luxury items that currently have 0 competition, of course the prices are going to be ridiculous. That doesnt mean we need the government breaking the company up. Nvidia GPUs are luxuries, they are not necessary for life, your life is not negatively impacted by not having a titan GPU.

I cannot agree with you.... Mercedes does not have the monopoly on the RWD wagons market.

However, on everything else I Completely agree with you, your comment was spot on.

System Name Dell Dimension P120
Processor Intel Pentium 120 MHz 60Mhz FSB
Motherboard Dell Pentium
Memory 24 MB EDO
Video Card(s) Matrox Millennium 2MB
Storage 1 GB EIDE HDD
Display(s) Dell 15 inch crt
Case Dell Dimension
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster
Mouse Microsoft mouse, no scroll wheel
Keyboard Dell 1995
Software Windows 95 + Office 95
btarunr - It's not a gaming card....
but that didnt stop those review sites and youtubers to publish gaming benchmark with it just like what they did with Titan V
"famous" youtubers like Linus and several others have already received review samples from Nvidia
also if its not a gaming card shouldn't it be called Tesla or Quadro
I bet they also want gamers with rich parents buy this card as well

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11

They aren't stupid enough try and bring HBM to a consumer part yet.