• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Readying GeForce RTX 2080 Ti SUPER After All?

Funny, I owned Intel Nvidia for last 6 years... but sure, fanboy sure...
You can be a fanboy and remain a rational buyer. So you bought the better GPU. That's it.
Most AMD fanboys used Intel CPUs for better part of the last decade, but activated once Zen came out.
Being a fan of AMD (or just anti Intel) is one thing, but having a usable PC is important as well. :)

Anyway, since you've already admitted that you don't really care what we think about your posts, there's likely no reason for you to tell the truth in them. You don't care. You might as well be making everything up. :)
In a way they are and in a way they're not. Nvidia doesn't have to create a 2080ti super since they're the top dog by far but they're still going to give people a slight bump in performance. It's a filler until next gen basically.
So, they could basically go on vacation and keep selling 2080Ti until AMD announces something that beats it.
Instead they launch a new card that offers even more performance.

How exactly is that bad in any way? Shouldn't we praise this?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You can be a fanboy and remain a rational buyer. So you bought the better GPU. That's it.
Most AMD fanboys used Intel CPUs for better part of the last decade, but activated once Zen came out.
Being a fan of AMD (or just anti Intel) is one thing, but having a usable PC is important as well. :)

Anyway, since you've already admitted that you don't really care what we think about your posts, there's likely no reason for you to tell the truth in them. You don't care. You might as well be making everything up. :)

So, they could basically go on vacation and keep selling 2080Ti until AMD announces something that beats it.
Instead they launch a new card that offers even more performance.

How exactly is that bad in any way? Shouldn't we praise this?

alternated intel and amd since the original pentium came out in the mid 90's. not a big deal to me, just whoever offers best cost for performance.

neat, everything I type is made up. cool line of logic you have there. highly intelligent.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
alternated intel and amd since the original pentium came out in the mid 90's. not a big deal to me, just whoever offers best cost for performance.

neat, everything I type is made up. cool line of logic you have there. highly intelligent.
You missed his point...users can be a fanboy of a product and still make rational buying decisions. However, this doesn't mean their thoughts on something can't be plain wrong and rooted in fanboyism and false hope or just plain old incorrect. ;)

In a way they are and in a way they're not. Nvidia doesn't have to create a 2080ti super since they're the top dog by far but they're still going to give people a slight bump in performance. It's a filler until next gen basically.
So what? What about the RX 5xx series.. and GCN? Those are refreshes (if not straight rebrand on some) with higher clocks. You can have them sit on their laurels like Intel did and many complained about... or have something like this between full launches. I'd also venture a guess that it will be priced no more than the initial 2080 Ti SEP and for a bit more performance.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You missed his point...users can be a fanboy of a product and still make rational buying decisions. However, this doesn't mean their thoughts on something can't be plain wrong and rooted in fanboyism and false hope or just plain old incorrect. ;)

No, I understood his point. I was commenting on his last sentence, specifically the sentence with the word "everything", which is why I highlighted it in bold and italicized it... I am sorry you missed my point...

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Funny, I owned Intel Nvidia for last 6 years... but sure, fanboy sure...

I thought you got a Navi already? How about a Radeon 7? They are recently on sale for just $699 a pop.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
No, I understood his point. I was commenting on his last sentence, specifically the sentence with the word "everything", which is why I highlighted it in bold and italicized it... I am sorry you missed my point...
Those are two separate points.... one has to do with hardware choices and being a fanboy (or not), the other has to do with your posts and making them up from scratch because you don't care what people think so you COULD be making shit up (I believe you do not do this, but in this case misconstrue PR for reality - only time will tell).

Anyway, this is pretty ridiculous... I'm done trying to clarify the written word for people. .. JFC. :(

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Those are two separate points.... one has to do with hardware choices and being a fanboy (or not), the other has to do with your posts and making them up from scratch because you don't care.

Anyway, this is pretty ridiculous... I'm done trying to clarify the written word for people. .. JFC. :(

Correct, I was responding to his second point... hence why I focused on that one word... not complicated really. Next time I will raise the font size if that will help.

Another completely unaffordable card for......? YouTubers?

Last edited:

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
If I remember correctly, it was the release of HD4850 and HD4870 wasn't it? It brutalized GTX260 and GTX280. That was when I was about to finish high school lol
GTX 200 series were somewhat faster, but those Radeons were very aggressively priced, so their price/performance ratio were much better. But I'd say that HD 4890 traded blows with GTX 285 (die-shrinked and faster clocked update of 280). Never owned a 200 series card, but I had a 4850 and 4890 back in the day, and now I have 2x 4890 just for the nostalgia. Gonna try those in Crossfire in my Ryzen rig some day with a clean W7 :laugh:

Also, HD 5800/6900 weren't very much slower than Nvidia's GTX 400/500 counterparts, again the aggressive pricing made AMD the winner IMO in those times too. I liked when they released their new cards in about similar times, it was interesting to wait which one had the faster cards. Now we see that Nvidia has the lead (in both performance and releasing a hella fast card), and AMD just can't compete in the enthusiast range like in the old days.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
They have great presentation slides I will give you that.

They do work though. It got people to buy them. I wonder if anyone in this forum made that mistake...:confused:

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I was only quoting what I remember reading from Lisa Su. Pretty sure she said full RDNA2 is a different beast entirely than Navi 1. but sure thing

Yes, and everything they iterated on GCN prior to that was just as revolutionary and life altering as well..

Its called marketing and you're still looking at GCN with another round of tweaks.

Headlines. But if they do this, it does kinda makes you wonder how far Ampere is out still. It could be another 780ti... but then the 780 was also cost effective and 2080ti is far from it. Its going to take major price drops to make one or both products even remotely interesting, this late in a gen.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yes, and everything they iterated on GCN prior to that was just as revolutionary and life altering as well..

Its called marketing and you're still looking at GCN with another round of tweaks.

if it beats a 2070 super and maybe even matches a 2080 super and costs $300 under MSRP then those cards, I'm fine with that. and 5700 XT has already proven it can do it to the 1080 ti. call it whatever you want, it's great time to be a PC gamer.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
if it beats a 2070 super and maybe even matches a 2080 super and costs $300 under MSRP then those cards, I'm fine with that. and 5700 XT has already proven it can do it to the 1080 ti. call it whatever you want, it's great time to be a PC gamer.

Whatever, its still a shitty gen to buy any card. Its a bit like buying Intel 10th gen. You just know it will be eclipsed by everything on 7nm EUV. 1080ti performance is three year old news now.

The upper midrange is way too crowded, and the top end is 100% priced out of the market, while the new top end is too late to matter what with next gen's RT and all. And the value of ALL these cards is going to drop unusually sharply with next gen, because we've slowed down on the current gen.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440

If the next gen is only a 15% improvement then that is a total failure and AMD can go hide in shame.

They need to get +30% to even remotely stay competitive. With NV dropping to 7mm, they should be able to get a healthy boost. They already have the power advantage so likely most of the efficiency/clock improvement s are going to perf/clocks.

I don't think Ampere is coming when we thought if they're releasing this card this late. This looks like a, "Oh no, Ampere's coming later than expected, let's announce a new high end card and outshine Big Navi before it's announcement."

I imagine Big Navi's coming in June after being announced in January. Probably in tandem with the launch of Zen3-based CPU's. nVidia announces/limited releases a SUPER version of 2080 Ti in January. Then they announce Ampere in March with a datacenter/not-gaming product to get people used to the idea. Then a gaming version is announced in June/July preceded by steady May leaks to rain on Big Navi's launch. I imagine those with a limited release in Sept/Oct with Founder's Editions.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
but why . gif

Juankato1987

So, if that its true, there were no reason to buy a ?TX 080 Ti a couple months after release, because there will be another in a few months.
Truth is, that if you have the money do it, never mind anything else.

980Ti, 1080Ti & 2080Ti.

All were king of the hill for more than 12mths, 18mths for the 1080Ti.

The point I was making is that buying a 2080Ti, super or not, at this stage in its market lifecycle, is pretty stupid.

Obviously I don't include good 2nd hand prices in that statement.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Whatever, its still a shitty gen to buy any card. Its a bit like buying Intel 10th gen. You just know it will be eclipsed by everything on 7nm EUV. 1080ti performance is three year old news now.

The upper midrange is way too crowded, and the top end is 100% priced out of the market, while the new top end is too late to matter what with next gen's RT and all. And the value of ALL these cards is going to drop unusually sharply with next gen, because we've slowed down on the current gen.

It's a good thing we have competition again then eh?

Exactly what I said. You buy the better product. It's perfectly fine.
I never said that.
But you said that you don't care what we think about your posts. Because "that's how forums work".
So, while some of your posts may be true, I have no reason to assume that. You could be making everything up. Or just some of it. Or having fun. Or whatever.
Just slightly more "unaffordable" than regular 2080Ti and Nvidia has no problem selling those.
Top gaming components are getting more and more expensive. That's it.
This means gamers with big budgets can finally buy sensible products that actually give them some gaming potential. Today you can spend $5000 on a consumer PC buying just gaming-oriented parts.
Few years age gamers with this kind of budget were buying HEDT parts and often ended up unhappy (because there was hardly any gain or it turned out 7700K gives more fps).

On the other hand, low-level parts are just as affordable as ever. So we're not losing anything.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Covered with Cooler Master MasterGel Pro)
Motherboard ASRock B450 Steel Legend, BIOS Version: 8.01 [Beta]
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2 RGB, 5x Galax Vortex Wind-02 (3xFront Intake, 2x Top exhaust)
Memory Kingston FURY Beast RGB 3600 MT/s 32 GB (8 GB x4), (KF436C17BBA/8)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Dual OC
Storage Kingston NV2 1 TB
Display(s) MSI PRO M251 (HDMI), Running @104 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB520
Audio Device(s) HP H360G USB
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE 550 80+ White
Mouse HP G200 Black
Keyboard Redragon MITRA K551-1 RGB
Software Windows 11 Home
A RTX 2090 with two hearts would be EPIC :cool:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
This means gamers with big budgets can finally buy sensible products that actually give them some gaming potential. Today you can spend $5000 on a consumer PC buying just gaming-oriented parts.
Few years age gamers with this kind of budget were buying HEDT parts and often ended up unhappy (because there was hardly any gain or it turned out 7700K gives more fps).

I'm not sure what you getting at here. Big budget builds could always buy the top of line. Nothing has changed. Other than the prices have increased.

Nothing has changed about hedt either as gaming should never have been the focus of an hedt build. You may get lucky that an hedt build did well in gaming but clocks were/are (when comparing the same arch) king.

I am not fond of the pricing but it is what it is. Take it or leave it. I think we'll find that AMD is not going to save anything except their bank account. They are going to slot in with the new pricing structure NV established. That was already on display with 5700 series.