• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Reports Q4 and 2018 Financial Results - Down 45%

Keep in mind, that they get it all at gross price, level of optimization of operating expenses in this kind of companies is astonishing, it's always all together - poor or mediocre quality components, choice of cheapest supply routes - by sea, by air if it is cheaper than delivery of jam from your grandma, and etc.,etc. - otherwise you would never get all this tech - rtx2080ti, iPhone, your brand new TV or car or fridge - at anything close to "affordable", at all.

As long as the stock marked does not ruin the tech for us, i can live with it.

A coworker thinks Elon Musk did it on purpose.

Robcostyle said:
Keep in mind, that they get it all at gross price, level of optimization of operating expenses in this kind of companies is astonishing, it's always all together - poor or mediocre quality components, choice of cheapest supply routes - by sea, by air if it is cheaper than delivery of jam from your grandma, and etc.,etc. - otherwise you would never get all this tech - rtx2080ti, iPhone, your brand new TV or car or fridge - at anything close to "affordable", at all.

Sadly have to agree to that. I had GPU fans which broke. It was almost impossible to replacements from them. I even lost 2 GPUs from the official RMA route and only got a coupon. And it wasn't high enough to get an equally powerful GPU. Just because of broken fans.
After some digging it turned out that the reseller has special contracts with the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Yes, roughly 100$ per tu102 chip. It is MASS PRODUCT, people! Margin they have from every single card is enormous! From 200-300% in worst case, probably up to 1000%! I don’t understand why you people keep sympathizing ngreedia and their chip “complexity “

This is a bit too much. According to Anandtech and Gamer Nexus Nvidia is targeting 50-60 % profit margin for their retail GPU gaming products. That hasn't changed when going from Maxwell/Pascal to Turing. The problem NVidia has with Turing is large die and rather expensive GDDR6 ram. So Nvidia had to choose between lower sales or lower profit margins. As their large shareholders expressed unwillingness to go with lower profit margins route, the only path left for them was to rise the prices and suffer lower sales. That being said, they're still way better positioned than AMD is right now. Radeon 7 costs $450-550 to make alone (excluding almost non existent marketing costs for this particular release). Selling it for $700 gives them half the Nvidia's profit margins at best but probably much less. That's why AMD's not in a hurry to sell R7 in large quantities. Similar story is with Vega 56/64.

M2B

Processor Intel Core i5-8600K @4.9GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
Memory XPG 8GBx2 - 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition 8G 11Gbps
Storage 2x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U
Case Thermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Power Supply EVGA 650 P2

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
RTX Cards are overpriced sure but 2080Ti has the most efficient and powerful VRM on the market. More efficient than that of a Radeon VII (according to buildzoid) and any other reference designs out there. It's probably the best VRM on a reference card ever (I'm not sure though).
Even the vaper chamber that nvidia is using on their FE cards is fairly expensive.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
According to Anandtech and Gamer Nexus Nvidia is targeting 50-60 % profit margin for their retail GPU gaming products.
The story here says Nvidia's gross margin this quarter was 54.7%. This includes everything they do and consumer graphics cards are more than likely with the lowest margin in their product portfolio.

I think we all can agree on, that it is good, when a company earns money. So they are here in the future. And as long as AMD is even trying to be some kind of competition it is good too.

When you look at the overall Nvidia stock market prices, they still do very well. These 45% down is just something to catch us, even call it clickbait. And actually where did they go 45% down. And an what timespan. The article does not even say. (i just searched for 45, and the only match was in the headline^^)

M2B

Processor Intel Core i5-8600K @4.9GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
Memory XPG 8GBx2 - 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition 8G 11Gbps
Storage 2x Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U
Case Thermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Power Supply EVGA 650 P2
Whereas I think you've came here just to troll...

Saying that nvidia's profit margin on each card is up to 1000% sounds more like a troll, doesn't it?

I think youre not getting the full picture of the market... you see, these “losses” untied huangs hands for further price rise. Revenue loss == higher prices.
And there is 2 awfull things that will make him to do so 100%: its shareholders and his own greed.
And then when you think Intel & possibly AMD - if they ever release anything remotely competitive on 7nm - where does JHH run then with these ridiculous prices? If Nvidia aren't careful history will bite them hard like it has done to corporations much bigger than Nvidia in the past, lots of them are pounding the indomitable Sands of time.

System Name Dell Dimension P120
Processor Intel Pentium 120 MHz 60Mhz FSB
Motherboard Dell Pentium
Memory 24 MB EDO
Video Card(s) Matrox Millennium 2MB
Storage 1 GB EIDE HDD
Display(s) Dell 15 inch crt
Case Dell Dimension
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster
Mouse Microsoft mouse, no scroll wheel
Keyboard Dell 1995
Software Windows 95 + Office 95
should have given us a ~800 USD gpu to replace the GTX 1080Ti
and ~700 USD gpu to replace the gtx 1080
instead of the two overpriced rtx cards
pretty sure they would have sold whole a lot more gpus to gamers

D

Deleted member 158293

Nvidia full-year sales outlook tops analyst views; shares rise

They're really taking NVIDIA's word for it? I see nothing in this report that warrants NVIDIA shares going up 8% as it did. Me thinks NVIDIA could get in trouble for being too optimistic.

To nvidia's credit their stock doing a bit better than I'd anticipated. Shares going up on a bounce is normal as low buy orders get filled. Now to see if these gains are sustained, or if nvidia is being "over optimistic" again... if they lie in anticipation of catching up by spending more money sooner or later that catches up with these companies.

Thing is, AMD can still fight the 2060 with their ancient Vega die without any problem.

I have been holding on to a aging GTX 970 and I just finally got tired of waiting for the prices to come down on the new Nvidia cards and picked up a nice Vega 56 (hopefully with Samsung memory) for dirt cheap to tide me over until Navi releases and hopefully competitive prices return. I do love this 970, I have never held on to a graphics card for so long, but I could never validate upgrading with all the price gouging we had been seeing.

System Name Gaming PC / I7 XEON
Processor I7 4790K @stock / XEON W3680 @ stock
Motherboard Asus Z97 MAXIMUS VII FORMULA / GIGABYTE X58 UD7
Cooling X61 Kraken / X61 Kraken
Memory 32gb Vengeance 2133 Mhz / 24b Corsair XMS3 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward GLH 1080 / MSI Gaming X Radeon RX480 8 GB
Storage Samsung EVO 850 500gb ,3 tb seagate, 2 samsung 1tb in raid 0 / Kingdian 240 gb, megaraid SAS 9341-8
Display(s) 2 BENQ 27" GL2706PQ / Dell UP2716D LCD Monitor 27 "
Case Corsair Graphite Series 780T / Corsair Obsidian 750 D
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD / ON BOARD
Power Supply Sapphire Pure 950w / Corsair RMI 750w
Mouse Steelseries Sesnsei / Steelseries Sensei raw
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma / Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 1064bit PRO / Windows 1064bit PRO
"The more you buy, the more you save " ...

Saying that nvidia's profit margin on each card is up to 1000% sounds more like a troll, doesn't it?
Just an assumption - but I'm 100% sure they're not selling it with "only" 10% margin.
for example - iphone x had 300% margin, there was alot discussion on that matter - and iphone is a ready-to-go device, with screen, electronics, battery, packaging, etc.
Here we have only chip itself, vram and electric circuit parts. Chips can't be that much more expensive than those iphone has - despite being much more powerfull. That is unit failure percentage, engineering makes a major part of chip's cost, not the complexity at fabrication - and apple also has all those, however much less complicated.
Vram - yeah, that depends on even more greedy samsung and micron.
Circuit parts - beleive me, the ones they use in FE - it's far away from top notch - it is just good, and does the job well, but it doesn't mean vrm is "golden".

All that said, iphone x and 2080 ti have the same price on the market. And everyone says apple got nuts these days - so what about ngreedia?

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Combination of the mining craze mostly died out and a lot of used cards hit the market and the ridiculously high prices set by Nvidia.
We used to get high end cards for $500 to $700 now the 2080 Ti is $1,000 or $1,200 on the Nvidia Store if you can find one.
The RTX Titan has gone up to $2500. That is more than double the price of the Titan XP.

I'm hoping Intel brings a strong GPU lineup next year.

D

Deleted member 177333

Ya, not surprising at all. Good to see consumers aren't biting on the RTX bs. No doubt it'll be good stuff one day, but the pricing NVidia wants for these things is out of this world ridiculous. I wouldn't buy a 2080 Ti for more than $750. And that's only if it was brand new. I was looking to buy (2) of them until the product launched and I saw how disappointing the performance gains were versus the asking price.

Reactions: 64K
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Just an assumption - but I'm 100% sure they're not selling it with "only" 10% margin.
for example - iphone x had 300% margin, there was alot discussion on that matter - and iphone is a ready-to-go device, with screen, electronics, battery, packaging, etc.
Here we have only chip itself, vram and electric circuit parts. Chips can't be that much more expensive than those iphone has - despite being much more powerfull. That is unit failure percentage, engineering makes a major part of chip's cost, not the complexity at fabrication - and apple also has all those, however much less complicated.
Vram - yeah, that depends on even more greedy samsung and micron.
Circuit parts - beleive me, the ones they use in FE - it's far away from top notch - it is just good, and does the job well, but it doesn't mean vrm is "golden".

All that said, iphone x and 2080 ti have the same price on the market. And everyone says apple got nuts these days - so what about ngreedia?

So next time you have baseless assumptions, find something to support your idea instead of a hunch. Your point will land a lot better. It also helps not to overexaggerate. So, sorry if I won't 'believe you' about part quality. You don't know jack all.

Reactions: M2B
Nvidia full-year sales outlook tops analyst views; shares rise

They're really taking NVIDIA's word for it? I see nothing in this report that warrants NVIDIA shares going up 8% as it did. Me thinks NVIDIA could get in trouble for being too optimistic.
Nvidia forecasts better results than what analysts expected. Shares went up. That's how stocks work.

Time after time I see you really confused in stock market discussion. Are you sure you know how this thing works?
There's no shame here. For example I don't know how kidneys work (beside what I was told at school). One can't know everything.

A lot of people believe that share price works like a "mood barometer". Nvidia is OK (good results, good products) => price goes up. Nvidia is not OK (bad results, old / slow products) => price goes down.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Turing has feature parity with Vega plus some additional things here and there. If you look at game benchmarks where Vega used to get a lead over Pascal, it never really gets that over Turing.
Actually they don't, not that it would be really relevant but NVIDIA still doesn't support stencil value from ps (and their per-resource and per-process virtual address space is 4bits smaller (40 vs 44bit))

--
What I'm more curious about is the possibility of nvidia downplaying cryptomarkets in their official reports, since every other number except NVIDIAs matches the analysts calculations

Yup, doesn't make any sense. Musk's twitter comment about buying the company out got him in hot water, as it rightfully should.
The sense here is that Tesla wants to be a major car maker when electric vehicles take over our roads. And, surely, they have the know-how and the patents to support this claim.
The manufacturing technology they have today is already good enough to make them profitable. The issue is volume (scale). They aren't selling enough cars to cover huge investments.
If EV sales were few times larger, they would already make huge profits and have a stable business.

The price of a stock is an estimate of what happens in the future. It's an average of returns in many possible outcomes (like in a Monte Carlo simulation).
Some paths lead to a future where we have many EVs. Some paths don't. In some paths Tesla becomes successful. In some they default because of cashflow problems. In some paths EVs are expensive and sporty (like current Tesla models), in other they are slower and more practical (like a Nissan Leaf).
For each of these paths you can estimate Tesla's value. The average of all these outcomes leads to the share price you see.
But the discussion about the precise share value is really complicated. Let's forget about it for a moment.

So now back to your issue: why is Tesla price going up all the time? The answer is in the previous paragraph - have you noticed? :)
At some moment in the future (let's call it T) EVs will become so popular that Tesla's situation will be considered safe. They'll sell a lot of cars and make a lot of money.
With each passing day we're getting closer to that moment.
This means that probability of "Tesla defaults before T" decreases and probability of "Tesla survives to T and may become successful" increases.
So just because of the passing time the share price goes up. It's just pure math. We don't have to know anything about cars to understand this.

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
ouch, that's hurt...

So next time you have baseless assumptions, find something to support your idea instead of a hunch. Your point will land a lot better. It also helps not to overexaggerate. So, sorry if I won't 'believe you' about part quality. You don't know jack all.

Baseless?
I still wonder what makes you people protect turing...Or what, you've bought one, so now "changing" sides?

Yeah this is a clear proof that they lied in previous results. if i dont remember wrong once theyve reported 100 millions of mining and 1 billion onf gaming!

I guess they are making up for it now.

Nvidia said:
Gaming = Down 46%
Professional Visualization = Down 4%
Datacenter = Down 14%
Automotive = Down 5%
OEM and IP = Down 22%

Their outlook is FLAT to Down slightly

Their inventory is getting harder to sell as well up from 102 last Q (which was shy of double their normal) to 143 days. Last quarter Huang said inventory would clear out in 1 quarter and now its becoming increasingly difficult.

Last edited: