• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA RTX 3080 Release Availability Could be a Novel

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I mean if you think about it, it's kind of a low risk investment for a scalper. The cards don't drop in price so even if you can't offload all of them you will get your money back eventually, and that is a group of people that will drop an extra $400 to get it right now. It's not like tickets where they are worthless after the event.

Grab em, slap a new shipping label on them for $400 is a quick way to make a buck. Worst case scenario is they take up some space until you sell it for what you bought it at.

Why nvidia doesnt put a 10 second time limit on each screen of the checkout process or error to stop bots is beyond me (well maybe not, they like it when people fight over their stuff).

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Meh, Tom always qualifies the level of trust he has in his different sources so that the auditors can have an idea of the solidity of the material.

Anyways, he reiterated this in newer videos and there's others saying the same thing.

But you are free to believe that the shortage of 3080 we are witnessing is due to thousands of miners and bots. And the thousands of bot owners aren't reselling their cards, because...? As other YouTubers have noticed, there must have been more 3080 available to reviewers than there were for sale.

He and you are free to claim whatever you want as many times as you want. Until or unless he or you can provide hard evidence of your claims, Occam's razor applies: the most likely reason for this shortage is because NVIDIA has a low supply, because a lot of people want these cards, and because a lot of scalpers are trying to profit.

Yeah i dont think the title radeon fanboy is adequate. After all he also "predicted" the better performance of the 3080 vs 2080Ti so he's not really on any side here.
And guess why he justifies his legitimacy. Because there will still be people calling him a radeon fanboy...

Observing that a trend from literally the past god knows how many generations of GPU launches will likely continue, is an incredible prediction that absolutely nobody else in the world could've made. It also doesn't make him any less of a fanboy.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
It's sad to see how many desperately try to ruin Nvidia's reputation by spreading misinformation and outright lies.

There is no way Nvidia artificially limit the supply, claiming so is either crazy or completely clueless. Nvidia don't earn anything extra from inflated prices by retailers, and they have every intention to move as many cards as they can, especially if they face uncertain competition from AMD soon.

This launch is simply another case of higher demand than supplies. The demand seems to be even higher this time. There is no conspiracy, just tens of thousands of eager buyers.

We knew it's a paper launch, there(s no miners guys.
This nonsense is already debunked, just look at AiBs like Asus, MSI, Zotac and Gigabyte offering cards at the same MSRP as Nvidia.
It's sad to see that this garbage gets this kind of attention. He is trolling you, and you and the author here fell for it.

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
He and you are free to claim whatever you want as many times as you want. Until or unless he or you can provide hard evidence of your claims, Occam's razor applies: the most likely reason for this shortage is because NVIDIA has a low supply, because a lot of people want these cards, and because a lot of scalpers are trying to profit.
FTFY, here's where Occam razor's ends

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
FTFY, here's where Occam razor's ends

Low stock is not the same as a paper launch.
Low stock is not the same as artificially limiting stock.

Think.

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
This nonsense is already debunked, just look at AiBs like Asus, MSI, Zotac and Gigabyte offering cards at the same MSRP as Nvidia.
It's sad to see that this garbage gets this kind of attention. He is trolling you, and you and the author here fell for it.
FWIW, I live in France, MSRP has never made any sense for me, I've never been able to find Nvidia video cards at MSRP in France. That's why I ended up with a 5700XT. it just seems that MSRP is about to become purely theoretical for the US, too.
We'll see in the coming weeks if those AIB cards are available at MSRP or not.

Low stock is not the same as a paper launch.
That is very open to interpretation, we'll see how this goes the next days.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
There's still a little availability, it seems, where I live, but they are generally overpriced.

On a side note, some shops are also selling the 3090, or at least they say they are, but at $2k a card.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
"unprecedented demand" gtfo. they knew it was a paper launch to beat big navi imo.

yeah the history of your gpu's selling out every month for 3 years straight (FE official store variant) wasn't forewarning enough. lulz w.e

I can't wait for my Big Navi and Ryzen 4800x. Take care Intel and Nvidia, it was a fun ride.

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Loved some of the art references.

Potentially off-topic, but I like to see news pieces written like this one every once in a while :D

Thank you :lovetpu:

I fail to see where exactly in the article is there anything ever resembling a "the author fell for it". That there are stories and rumors is a fact; however, never in the article are these rumors presented as facts in themselves.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I fail to see where exactly in the article is there anything ever resembling a "the author fell for it". That there are stories and rumors is a fact; however, never in the article are these rumors presented as facts in themselves.
An editorial based on fud/rumors. ;)

knew it was a paper launch to beat big navi imo.
a paper launch explicitly implies no cards available at launch. There were cards available, but the sold out nearly immediately.

That said, I fully believe they rushed this out without enough product... but let's be clear on what a paper launch actually means. ;)

Last edited:

BlackWater

Honestly, this was expected. The more there is hype, the more there will be scalpers with bots, trying to buy out supply and exploit gullible people and sell them these cards for 2x-10x or more. But honestly, who cares? There will be supply, eventually. Might take a month or two, might even take 3+ months, but unless you literally don't have a GPU (if you sold your 2080/Ti, it's your own fault) and you need a GPU right now, I don't see it as a problem. As excited as I am to replace my GTX 1080, the plan right from the start was to do it late November-mid December. This keeps happening over and over and over, and somehow people are still shocked at early supply issues with any launch... As if their memory lasts only 5 minutes... :confused:

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
An edititorial based on fud/rumors. ;)

Are you referring to the immediate non-availability, bots acquiring graphics cards, or scalpers selling them for above-MSRP prices?

Because those are all facts.

Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
To me it is all because of the 2000 series that was way overpriced and not very high on performance.

Many people didnt upgrade to 2000 series they keep their GTX 1000's till now....

There's tons of 1080 Ti ( priced under 400$) on sale as the 2080 Ti's . Someone here in my local craiglist site selling his 2080 Ti MSI Seahawk EK !!! For 550$ !!! That dude is crazy !

All because of the 2000 series disappointment the real failure is the first RTX series not this launch !

People seeing now the 3000 series priced correctly for the performance jump they will get of course they all want to upgrade asap !

Plus games like Cyberpunk 2077, Crysis Remastered and many others are pushiing PC players to upgrade.

Last edited:
There'll always be GPU miners as there'll always be GPU-centered coins. But it's not profitable like it once was, and hopefully never will be.

The whole crypto thing was a good idea perverted into something ugly by greed #differenttopic.

The whole *everything* was a good idea perverted into something ugly by greed #differenttopic.

ftfy :)

This has been the trend for quite some time now; I was hoping to grab one, but knew it was a far fetched dream. They can say what they want, but they could care less about the GPU's ending up in the hands of anyone as long as they get sold.

Don't make excuses for nVidia. Last time they launched two SKUs this time only one. Last time they had a card that was $100 more with no performance increases and 3GB less VRAM, and another that was $500 more for marginal improvements (20 percent). This time they have a new card for the same price, with 2GB more VRAM, and 40 percent faster. Only one SKU.

Basic accounting you should have 2x2 at least 4 times as much stock as last launch. Add to it the current shortages for computer parts leading to a build up, maybe nVidia should do the reasonable thing and wait until they have 10x more in stock before launching.

The bots are an excuse. Bots exist where lack of supply exists. It is not a demand issue. If you have enough product it isn't worth a bot's "time". I'm not "too mad" but shame on nVidia.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
"unprecedented demand" gtfo. they knew it was a paper launch to beat big navi imo.
I'm not gonna say they did a paper launch, but it does look like one.

yeah the history of your gpu's selling out every month for 3 years straight (FE official store variant) wasn't forewarning enough. lulz w.e
maybe nVidia should do the reasonable thing and wait until they have 10x more in stock before launching.

Well, they can't be building up stock for a year only to make sure that they don't sell out in the first 15 minutes of launch day. Although I do wonder how expensive keeping those cards collecting dust in warehouses could be.

I'd like to add that, although COVID has done quite the economic impact worldwide, there could be a lot of people with money burning holes in their pockets. Add to that that a lot of people held onto their GTX 1000 series cards (or even earlier ones) because they didn't see much appeal in Turing (with or without first-gen RTX) and now feel the itch to upgrade, and it's not impossible that demand for the new cards could be above what Nvidia and partners prepared for.
Thank you
You're most welcome.
This has been the trend for quite some time now; I was hoping to grab one, but knew it was a far fetched dream. They can say what they want, but they could care less about the GPU's ending up in the hands of anyone as long as they get sold.
I wonder what happened with that lawsuit (?) about Nvidia not telling investors that their cards sold really well because crypto boom and all that.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Don't make excuses for nVidia. Last time they launched two SKUs this time only one. Last time they had a card that was $100 more with no performance increases and 3GB less VRAM, and another that was $500 more for marginal improvements (20 percent). This time they have a new card for the same price, with 2GB more VRAM, and 40 percent faster. Only one SKU.

Basic accounting you should have 2x2 at least 4 times as much stock as last launch. Add to it the current shortages for computer parts leading to a build up, maybe nVidia should do the reasonable thing and wait until they have 10x more in stock before launching.

The bots are an excuse. Bots exist where lack of supply exists. It is not a demand issue. If you have enough product it isn't worth a bot's "time". I'm not "too mad" but shame on nVidia.

my signature will bring you comfort, my padawan.

They make it out to sound like these websites got hit with a cyberattack.

Bots coulda been stopped with one of those captchas or a phone number verification method.

For these companies to tell us the exact day and time preorders would be available was basically them telling the bot handlers to attack at a specific date and time.

I am just so happy I got mine!!!

System Name Firelance.
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
They make it out to sound like these websites got hit with a cyberattack.

Bots coulda been stopped with one of those captchas or a phone number verification method.

For these companies to tell us the exact day and time preorders would be available was basically them telling the bot handlers to attack at a specific date and time.

I am just so happy I got mine!!!

Nooooo, haven't you been reading this thread, 3080 is a paper launch, anyone saying they got one is obviously a lying paid Ngreedia shill! /s

The depths to which AMD fanboys will sink is getting lower every day.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Are you referring to the immediate non-availability, bots acquiring graphics cards, or scalpers selling them for above-MSRP prices?
Because those are all facts.
Respectfully, the fact that there exists some "scalpers" doesn't prove there is a problem, nor how many were grabbed by scalpers vs. "legitimate" buyers. The theory about "bots" better have some serious evidence to be considered as facts.

The "immediate non-availability" is not a "fact" either. While I don't know the global distribution between wholesalers, a single scandinavian shop got hundreds of these, so there were likely many thousands globally. All the facts points to it not being a paper launch, just extreme demand.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
popcorn.gif