• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA to Acquire Arm for $40 Billion, Creating World's Premier Computing Company for the Age of AI

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
NVIDIA and SoftBank Group Corp. (SBG) today announced a definitive agreement under which NVIDIA will acquire Arm Limited from SBG and the SoftBank Vision Fund (together, "SoftBank") in a transaction valued at $40 billion. The transaction is expected to be immediately accretive to NVIDIA's non-GAAP gross margin and non-GAAP earnings per share.

The combination brings together NVIDIA's leading AI computing platform with Arm's vast ecosystem to create the premier computing company for the age of artificial intelligence, accelerating innovation while expanding into large, high-growth markets. SoftBank will remain committed to Arm's long-term success through its ownership stake in NVIDIA, expected to be under 10 percent.

"AI is the most powerful technology force of our time and has launched a new wave of computing," said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. "In the years ahead, trillions of computers running AI will create a new internet-of-things that is thousands of times larger than today's internet-of-people. Our combination will create a company fabulously positioned for the age of AI.

"Simon Segars and his team at Arm have built an extraordinary company that is contributing to nearly every technology market in the world. Uniting NVIDIA's AI computing capabilities with the vast ecosystem of Arm's CPU, we can advance computing from the cloud, smartphones, PCs, self-driving cars and robotics, to edge IoT, and expand AI computing to every corner of the globe.

"This combination has tremendous benefits for both companies, our customers, and the industry. For Arm's ecosystem, the combination will turbocharge Arm's R&D capacity and expand its IP portfolio with NVIDIA's world-leading GPU and AI technology.

"Arm will remain headquartered in Cambridge. We will expand on this great site and build a world-class AI research facility, supporting developments in healthcare, life sciences, robotics, self-driving cars and other fields. And, to attract researchers and scientists from the U.K. and around the world to conduct groundbreaking work, NVIDIA will build a state-of-the-art AI supercomputer, powered by Arm CPUs. Arm Cambridge will be a world-class technology center."

"NVIDIA is the perfect partner for Arm," said Masayoshi Son, chairman and CEO of SBG. "Since acquiring Arm, we have honored our commitments and invested heavily in people, technology and R&D, thereby expanding the business into new areas with high growth potential. Joining forces with a world leader in technology innovation creates new and exciting opportunities for Arm. This is a compelling combination that projects Arm, Cambridge and the U.K. to the forefront of some of the most exciting technological innovations of our time and is why SoftBank is excited to invest in Arm's long-term success as a major shareholder in NVIDIA. We look forward to supporting the continued success of the combined business."

"Arm and NVIDIA share a vision and passion that ubiquitous, energy-efficient computing will help address the world's most pressing issues from climate change to healthcare, from agriculture to education," said Simon Segars, CEO of Arm. "Delivering on this vision requires new approaches to hardware and software and a long-term commitment to research and development. By bringing together the technical strengths of our two companies we can accelerate our progress and create new solutions that will enable a global ecosystem of innovators. My management team and I are excited to be joining NVIDIA so we can write this next chapter together."

Commitment to Arm and the UK
As part of NVIDIA, Arm will continue to operate its open-licensing model while maintaining the global customer neutrality that has been foundational to its success, with 180 billion chips shipped to-date by its licensees. Arm partners will also benefit from both companies' offerings, including NVIDIA's numerous innovations.

SoftBank and Arm are fully committed to satisfying the undertakings made by SoftBank when it acquired Arm in 2016, which are scheduled to complete in September 2021. Following the closing of the transaction, NVIDIA intends to retain the name and strong brand identity of Arm and expand its base in Cambridge. Arm's intellectual property will remain registered in the U.K.

NVIDIA will build on Arm's R&D presence in the U.K., establishing a new global center of excellence in AI research at Arm's Cambridge campus. NVIDIA will invest in a state-of-the-art, Arm-powered AI supercomputer, training facilities for developers and a startup incubator, which will attract world-class research talent and create a platform for innovation and industry partnerships in fields such as healthcare, robotics and self-driving cars.

Additional Transaction Details
Under the terms of the transaction, which has been approved by the boards of directors of NVIDIA, SBG and Arm, NVIDIA will pay to SoftBank a total of $21.5 billion in NVIDIA common stock and $12 billion in cash, which includes $2 billion payable at signing. The number of NVIDIA shares to be issued at closing is 44.3 million, determined using the average closing price of NVIDIA common stock for the last 30 trading days. Additionally, SoftBank may receive up to $5 billion in cash or common stock under an earn-out construct, subject to satisfaction of specific financial performance targets by Arm.

NVIDIA will also issue $1.5 billion in equity to Arm employees.

NVIDIA intends to finance the cash portion of the transaction with balance sheet cash. The transaction does not include Arm's IoT Services Group.

The proposed transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of regulatory approvals for the U.K., China, the European Union and the United States. Completion of the transaction is expected to take place in approximately 18 months.

Conference Call and Webcast Details
NVIDIA will conduct a webcast at 5:30 a.m. PT on Monday, September 14, to discuss the transaction. The webcast is available on NVIDIA's Investor Relations website at https://investor.nvidia.com/home/default.aspx/home/default.aspx. A webcast replay and a copy of the webcast presentation materials will also be available at https://investor.nvidia.com/home/default.aspx/home/default.aspx.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
The way it's meant to be played. ;)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I expect to have a family and a career in next couple of years. My gaming time is going to basically vanish, so I imagine this rtx 3080 and zen 3 build will be my last. I probably will never get to experience ARM cpu's

Nvidia will become a giant (even more).

Hopefully the development of ARM will improve a lot from now on, Nvidia has the means to do so.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
If i could be bothered to search, I'm sure I could find forum warriors being happy that Nvidia don't have a x86 license.

How times change.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Okay but this has nothing to do with gaming.

I thought I read somewhere ARM cpu's are the future of gaming? big reason Nvidia is doing this? or is it specifically for AI and machine learning stuff only?

Gee, who saw this coming..

Wouldn't want to be Apple right now..

I thought Apple was making their own CPU's soon, no third party needed?

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
I thought Apple was making their own CPU's soon, no third party needed?
Only with a perpetual ISA license from ARM.

I feel like AMD is about to find itself in a difficult position. They are a small company compared to intel, and before AMD only had to contend with intel. Now they have to contend with both intel and Nvidia in the cpu market, which are both much larger. I think you'll soon see more inroads in desktop and laptop and servers with arm. I can see AMD being squeezed out more and they don't have other acquisitions to diversify with like intel and NV has (buying other companies over the years and branching out in other markets)

While they are using their own designs, the base instruction set is still ARM based and Apple is required to license it. NVidia might increase the pricing for Apple or deny them a license outright. Apple is not in a favorable position ATM.

I think current ISA will still last Apple for quite some time, as for the next ISA revision....... Apple might want to tread carefully.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
While they are using their own designs, the base instruction set is still ARM based and Apple is required to license it. NVidia might increase the pricing for Apple or deny them a license outright. Apple is not in a favorable position ATM.

I guess this be effecting a few, like AMD.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
While I am no fan of Nvidia acquiring ARM based no their poor history, but as long as the regulators are very strict to ensure Nvidia keeps to the open licensing of the IP, I feel that should still be fine for now.

No change to the current licensing model:

Arm’s business model is brilliant. We will maintain its open-licensing model and customer neutrality, serving customers in any industry, across the world, and further expand Arm’s IP licensing portfolio with NVIDIA’s world-leading GPU and AI technology.

Arm’s headquarter will remain in Cambridge and continue to be a cornerstone of the U.K. technology ecosystem. NVIDIA will retain the name and strong brand identity of Arm. Simon and his management team are excited to be joining NVIDIA.

ARM does offer the blueprints for a high performance cores.
While true, that is based on an evolution of the Maxwell platform. Turing/Ampere are something else entirely. Just not seeing that happen anytime soon unless NVidia got into ARM for desktops. God help Intel if they do..

While I am no fan of Nvidia acquiring ARM based no their poor history, but as long as the regulators are very strict to ensure Nvidia keeps to the open licensing of the IP, I feel that should still be fine for now.
Completely agree.

I think current ISA will still last Apple for quite some time, as for the next ISA revision....... Apple might want to tread carefully.
Oh no, that's not how it works. ARM licensing is an ongoing thing. NVidia could change things on Apple and there would little to nothing Apple could do about it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I feel like AMD is about to find itself in a difficult position. They are a small company compared to intel, and before AMD only had to contend with intel. Now they have to contend with both intel and Nvidia in the cpu market, which are both much larger. I think you'll soon see more inroads in desktop and laptop and servers with arm. I can see AMD being squeezed out more and they don't have other acquisitions to diversify with like intel and NV has (buying other companies over the years and branching out in other markets)

It's important to note that AMD Ryzen latest gen CPU's have 0 security issues to my knowledge, ARM, Intel, were both plagued by Meltdown and other security issues. So if I were a business, small or big, I would still be banking on AMD CPU's personally.

System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)
Time to escape from ARM, and flee to RISC-V!

I feel it is too early to conclude. In my opinion, Nvidia actually don't stand to gain much technologically with the acquisition of ARM at this point. ARM IPs are meant to be open to anyone to license. In other words, one can just get the IPs to use the ARM cores, but not the GPU option. Nvidia will stand to benefit from utilizing ARM chips to bundle with their GPUs for AI, but this is not something that they can't do at the moment since they are anyway an ARM IP licensee.

In fact, I feel if anyone needs to worry, it's Intel really. Previously they only had to contend with AMD which is a much smaller company. Now, their dominance is not just challenged by AMD, but also ARM. Even before Nvidia acquired ARM, there are already multiple companies creating their own SOCs with ARM chips to replace what was previously Intel processors. And with the success of AMD EPYC, their market share is getting chipped away even more. AMD in the first place don't have much of a market share in the enterprise segment, so any gains in market share is a win for them. Intel with the lion's share in the same segment, is slowly seeing those numbers declining and bear in mind that this is the most lucrative segment where Intel charges the most.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
While true, that is based on an evolution of the Maxwell platform. Turing/Ampere are something else entirely. Just not seeing that happen anytime soon unless NVidia got into ARM for desktops. God help Intel if they do..
I think you mixed up NVIDIA’s GPU arch’s with ARM Holdings CPU arch. I was just pointing out NVIDIA will soon have the high performance CPU they’ve needed from ARM to pair with their high compute GPUs.