• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA's GeForce Now Service is Launched - And You Can Stream Games for Free

Really? If we're talking the US, the middle of Vegas has crap internet...
Tbf US also is 3x the size of India & what a 12th of the population density? Making internet work isn't cheap, even though the US terrain is generally not as bad as we see in much of Asia.

System requirements for NVIDIA's GeForce Now are as stands:
  • 15 Mbps internet connection (25 Mbps recommended). A 5GHz network is preferred if using wireless.
me in a 3rd World country :

Tbf US also is 3x the size of India & what a 12th of the population density? Making internet work isn't cheap, even though the US terrain is generally not as bad as we see in much of Asia.

The US has large areas where population density makes the ROI decades if ever. I am personally lucky that a local WISP company was willing to put a dish about 75' up a cedar tree in my yard for LOS to their tower about 11 air miles away. I now have 50mbs ~13msec to my first hop internet. Compared to the 768 on a good day 200ms DSL, it's better. Not great. But better. My nearest neighbor is a mile a away. An entire 3 county area around me is 95% 1.5 DSL or cell or Sat service. No cable or fiber except the larger towns which number about a half dozen. This ain't Arkansas. I can drive to the MS campus in less than 2 hours.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I mean..... what can you do?

Install CPU+LCD in tree stump. Install hydroelectric plant next to treestump. Play game like a greener and please The Lorax.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
So many talented business analysts here.

Oh, wait, some nonamers who believe they know how to earn money ... yet they leave comments on one of a gazillion tech websites on the Internet because they have so much spare time.

It's almost laughable except it's just sad and pathetic.

Especially all the talks about Google Stadia is gonna fail regardless despite the fact that the platform is the cheapest way to game. You don't need a PC, you don't need a console, just a TV and a controller. Oh, and games run at the highest settings.

And what makes you eligible to state Stadia is going to succeed then?

I'm also strongly in the camp of 'Please, die, streamed gaming'. For several reasons
- It offers nothing to devs but everything to publishers (you need deep pockets to weather the early phase with low player count high support cost etc.; something devs don't have, pubs do)
- It moves us further away from ownership and the net result is we bring away a vast amount of our paycheck to all sorts of services and the more we have, the less we make use of them. The long term net result isn't pretty. Fragmentation everywhere just like you've already got it for movie and series. You already need what, 3-4 streaming subs to have all content you may want to watch. For gaming, its probably far worse than that.
- Cheapest way to game? I beg to differ.... the only saving here is the console itself, the game offerings are limited and the net result is you have created yourself a new walled garden with a device that can't do jack shit unless Google says its OK and you've paid up front. Now and forever. There was a reason once that we bought the consoles instead of renting the stuff from the local video rental shop; it was actually cheaper because you did actually play quite a bit more than you thought. This hasn't changed.

- Quality of the experience. Do you seriously, really think you're getting 4K60 or even 4K30 streamed to your doorstep? Do you understand what compression means? Also, round trip latency best case is 16-19ms and that is with a very good line. Good luck with that, every single player game will feel like your average online shooter now. And no, its not the same, and yes, you do notice that latency. And note, best case, but you're streaming a pretty hefty data stream here, not just 'some' game info as you normally do. Hiccups do happen. Offline or even online but locally processed they do not.

No, I don't want an Amazon speaker, a Google console or a Facebook whatever-they-think-up. These tech companies are really not here for our greater good and its clear as day. I avoid them as much as I can just like I do the big publishers like EA. There is an agenda here and its not for us. Its about control. And some weird dystopian future where we think we need all kinds of continuous services to 'have fun', slaves to contracts.

Might sound far fetched to you but this is what I feell when I see all these on-demand services and the push they're given; that alongside very low-barrier payment methods and MTX... yikes. Not good. Irresponsible ways to make people spend and think of money.

Last edited:
System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
And what makes you eligible to state Stadia is going to succeed then?

I'm also strongly in the camp of 'Please, die, streamed gaming'.
Kill before it lays eggs

Actually, this is quite interesting, as I have a laptop that doesn't have the hardware to play games, but this way, I could play games when travelling if I get bored, which is often the case on business trips when you're stuck in a hotel in the middle of nowhere. I think it has its uses, but it's obviously not going to replace purchased games. As long as the price is kept reasonable, why not? It's not a service I would use instead of having "local" games on my PC for any foreseeable future, but it might just have its place.
Buy a switch or for a decent price you can have a 1660 super laptop.
Paying for streaming is like paying for renting compute power online.
5 dollars a month though,pretty cheap indeed.

Last edited:
System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Need to own the game's first, then you get to pay to play them all laggy like but only for a limited amount of time.

Sounds like even if you pay you are still getting bounced after so long and you still have to suffer through the que.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Had a look again last night, needs work, lots and lots of work.
Wasn't even useable imho in home with 120MB dl hitchy , variable ,distracting, totally killed emersion.

I used Steam to see the Hardware specs and found out that some servers have different hardware, EU3 is Xeon 2697 V4 + Tesla P40 while EU4 is the new unannounced Intel CC150 3.5Ghz + RTX T10-8 :)

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
No thanks Nvidia, we don`t want that.

Speak for your self! console peasant.

people that bash this or NVIDIA are just console peasants and should stop replying to threads on TPU using there phones or potatoes.

I tried it via the Shield TV on my TV and it works seamlessly. Not sure if people will pay for yet another subscription service, but these days everything is a monthly drain on your wallet.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember

It's very cheap when tax payers have subsidized it to the tune of hundreds of billions. More is payed out every year with nearly nothing to show for it while profits soar.

Stop apologizing for criminals. You deserve dial up if you think land mass is a problem.

Nationwide fiber was supposed to be completed in 2000 (so every single urban area).

Last edited:
System Name Violet
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory G.Skill Flare x 32GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio
Storage Western Digital WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 3440x1440
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 64bit
Speak for your self! console peasant.

people that bash this or NVIDIA are just console peasants and should stop replying to threads on TPU using there phones or potatoes.
That is why I have a gaming computer and no console ...:p

Apparently you can only say good things about Nvidia otherwise you are a console peasant and you can no longer respond to TPU? Weird....

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That is why I have a gaming computer and no console ...:p

Apparently you can only say good things about Nvidia otherwise you are a console peasant and you can no longer respond to TPU? Weird....

Hmmm...

I like my Radeons and my PC plays games really rather quite well. Despite it not using a GeForce for rendering. LoL

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Played Diablo 3 on my phone in public transit on 4G ... as you imagine it was laggy because mobile networks. On decent 50Mbs downstream over wire it lags less often, which is still infinite times more than desired. Input lag is horrible and understandable. Also recently, free accounts start their sessions a the back of the 500 person queue. Still imma play dishonored 2 on my phone now-ish.

EDIT: Surprisingly good experience on my home network ... there was consistent latency and unnecessarily huge onscreen virtual game-pad

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
So, one for all the naysayers in this thread.
Signed up and tried it, as I'm currently travelling for a couple of months.
It works surprisingly well, at least for Apex Legends.
I don't feel like there's any extra lag although I did play on the lowest ping server and internet here is rather good.
Only complaint is that on my laptop I'm limited to 1280x720 and a 12.5" laptop screen is WAY too small to play Apex Legends on.
Oh and it now means I need to get a mobile gaming mouse... Or you know, at least bring a normal gaming mouse with me.

Overall I have to say I'm quite impressed with how well it works. The only slightly frustrating part of the service is that you're doing a new Origin sign-in every time, so you have to validate your Origin login every time. Not sure how it works with other games, but yeah, much better than expected.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It's very cheap when tax payers have subsidized it to the tune of hundreds of billions. More is payed out every year with nearly nothing to show for it while profits soar.

Stop apologizing for criminals. You deserve dial up if you think land mass is a problem.

Nationwide fiber was supposed to be completed in 2000 (so every single urban area).

You are correct. It does make things a bit more costly. But regardless, a lot can be done that isn't being done. Here in NL... land mass certainly isn't a problem and we still only have local fiber to the home projects. That barely gain traction. No gov push, and the old national phone company (privatised) bought up most independent fiber ISPs / start ups and put things on hold.

Yup. Land mass is not the problem here :) Its like a few hundred square km :D

I'm not apologizing for anyone, heck what you're saying has happened in India as well. The govt basically laid down fiber network at their own expense throughout the nation, the result ~ from what I know the cheapest (gigabit) broadband plans across the world. I have 5 options to choose from when it comes to wired broadband, 7 if you include wireless providers. And I live basically in a suburb, the rural areas still do not have anyone other than govt to rely on & that's just a couple of kilometers away from me!

The difference between US & our part of the world though is population density. And that does make a difference whether you like it or not, businesses like profit & that's the only thing they care about. If you want something like universal broadband across the nation, the urban areas will have to subsidize the countryside for decades to come.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Civ VI at 1080p, no problem at all. This time on an external monitor which helps a lot.
Is the service worth $4.99? Possibly, but not sure if it's worth more than that and it needs to be on a month to month basis, as I wouldn't be subscribing to it, nor using it at home.

1581077856286.png

CPU usage isn't too crazy either, especially considering this is a few years old laptop by now.

1581079425240.png

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised by this service, I tested it with ethernet cable and it plays very well! In terms of latency I didn't notice anything special, in fact, after a while I forgot that I was playing by stream.

These are services that are unlikely to fully replace having the game installed on our machine, but if they continue to improve, they can be a very viable alternative for many people, especially the more casual players.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I was pleasantly surprised by this service, I tested it with ethernet cable and it plays very well! In terms of latency I didn't notice anything special, in fact, after a while I forgot that I was playing by stream.

These are services that are unlikely to fully replace having the game installed on our machine, but if they continue to improve, they can be a very viable alternative for many people, especially the more casual players.
The obvious downside is that you need to own the game(s) for this to work. As such, I don't see this as a service that can charge too much, as you're pretty much just rending their hardware for the streaming of your games. I do agree though that apart from some minor streaming glitchyness where the resolution drops, it works better than I expected. They've clearly invested in some rather good hardware too, as turn time in Civilization VI was very fast.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
What's disappointing is that the free tier doesn't get a taste of Ray Tracing, so it's a bummer having to fork out $5 just to see and play it for real.
That one aspect alone would have been a carrot to buy an RTX card, maybe.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
What's disappointing is that the free tier doesn't get a taste of Ray Tracing, so it's a bummer having to fork out $5 just to see and play it for real.
That one aspect alone would have been a carrot to buy an RTX card, maybe.
This. Especially since there aren't that many RTX titles out there and even fewer that do RTX justice.
Or, maybe they were thinking that putting RTX streaming behind a pay wall, people will buy more RTX-enabled cards?
Either way, seems a little misguided.