• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia's low latency mode

I used to think the low latency mode settings were basically irrelevant, except for Crysis 3, where setting low latency mode to ultra made 50% to 100% differences in minimum FPS and GPU usage from having low latency mode set to on.

I also noticed setting low latency mode to ultra in the Metro Last Light benchmark minimized the high frequency framerate fluctuations (i.e. where framerates jump or drop by tens of FPS).

So generally speaking, is it recommended to always use the ultra setting for low latency mode?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I used to think the low latency mode settings were basically irrelevant, except for Crysis 3, where setting low latency mode to ultra made 50% to 100% differences in minimum FPS and GPU usage from having low latency mode set to on.

I also noticed setting low latency mode to ultra in the Metro Last Light benchmark minimized the high frequency framerate fluctuations (i.e. where framerates jump or drop by tens of FPS).

So generally speaking, is it recommended to always use the ultra setting for low latency mode?

this is a good question. on my gtx 1070 laptop, I always used low latency ultra, and gsync on, and vsync on, all in nvidia control panel globally turned on.

if you notice the notes besides low latency mode, it says on ultra - that if you have this on alongside gsync and vsync, its very optimized. so i just did all 3. :)

i never had any issues.

That's another question lynx29 why do you have to have G-sync and Vsync on? I thought G-sync already did what vsync does?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That's another question lynx29 why do you have to have G-sync and Vsync on? I thought G-sync already did what vsync does?

if you read the nvidia control panel on the low latency section, there is a note that pops up when you hover your mouse cursor over "low latency" and it states that turning ultra, vsync, and gsync on at the same time has best results.

gsync works for everything below max refresh rate, not over it, so vsync kicks on when your on max refresh rate.

i still have all 3 turned on on my gtx 1070 laptop