• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVMe SSD not recognized by the motherboard

If you need an active partition for the thing to work, then you are most definitively booting with BIOS/MBR (or is it possible for such a bug to still linger after a decade?)

Anyway, I just checked the Z370AG5 bios with uefitool and I see no nvme reference.
I wonder if gigabyte itself isn't relying on a legacy BIOS option rom (which you aren't clearly using since CSM is disabled), but your plextor SSD has an UEFI one that even though not being accepted by the setup GUI, eventually works when it's time to matter.
Intel also has some very.. diversified guidance across vendors.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
If you need an active partition for the thing to work, then you are most definitively booting with BIOS/MBR (or is it possible for such a bug to still linger after a decade?)

Anyway, I just checked the Z370AG5 bios with uefitool and I see no nvme reference.
I wonder if gigabyte itself isn't relying on a legacy BIOS option rom (which you aren't clearly using since CSM is disabled), but your plextor SSD has an UEFI one that even though not being accepted by the setup GUI, eventually works when it's time to matter.
Intel also has some very.. diversified guidance across vendors.

Well if I remember right, I used Rufus to put the win10 installation onto an USB. In Rufus, set the partition scheme to GPT and Target system to UEFI. Only then can the Win10 installation recognize the NVME drive.
The PC has been working flawlessly so I don't want to mess around with the booting sequence.
From your link seems like some NVME drives just want to avoid detection by UEFI BIOS :roll: , so it may not be motherboard's related.

Processor i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus strix Z-490-e
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z 4000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus STRIX RTX 3080
Storage 1tb Samsung 970 EVO,1tb hdd,750gb hdd
Display(s) Asus 27" 144htz 1440
Case Lian Li lancool 2 mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic GX-850
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech Pro
I had to enable CSM to see the drives in the bios.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I may be wrong, but dont NVME drives only show up once they have a UEFI system installed to them, AKA windows?

CSM let you choose a drive directly, but UEFI you have to choose the OS, yes?

BIOS booting lets you choose specific disks (and well, only that) because it cannot really be any more smart about it.
UEFI also supports some kind of firmware-based boot manager, but it too has a hardcoded path in the ESP partition that it will always try to look for (which I reckon it's what it uses when you boot from a just-inserted USB key). If it doesn't find them though it won't populate the boot selection menu.

Nvme as a protocol has nothing to do with UEFI then, if not for the very tentative half-assed explanation I tried to provide above about option ROMs.

System Name Asrock 2012
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
Motherboard ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3
Cooling Corsair H70 for CPU
Memory 64GB DDR3 1333mhz 16GBx4
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080 with stock fan
Storage 1TB GIGABYTE SSD NVME PCIE 2.0 + Samsung SSD Evo 850 250GB with Ubuntu + Samsung SSD 860 500GB win7
Display(s) LG HDR 31.5"
Case Big Black Tower
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply CORSAIR RM850X
Mouse wired chinese gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores +
boot with a dvd usb or with a bootable windows 10 installation disk and see if it can see your nvme disk and it is ready to install windows 10, I think it will show, you said it doesn't show on windows disk managment but look again it may not been initialized or have any partitions or something so you can't see it right away, also load latest ubuntu from another pen drive and see if the app disks sees it. The NVME u have looks plug and play, check uefi settings again as a last resort but this is beyond what I know.

Last edited:

hornirl

Not sure whether you're still trying on this, but I'm also looking for solutions to getting a Win 10 bootable NVME drive up on an old mobo, in my case an ASUS H87M-PRO. It seems easier to get the NVME working to just hold data, it's the boot NVME that's the real devil. Try here or this search. If you get it working before me, please let me know... Tx.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Not sure whether you're still trying on this, but I'm also looking for solutions to getting a Win 10 bootable NVME drive up on an old mobo, in my case an ASUS H87M-PRO. It seems easier to get the NVME working to just hold data, it's the boot NVME that's the real devil. Try here or this search. If you get it working before me, please let me know... Tx.
My dad has his system booting on my old 4770k on NVME, so its not an age thing.

You know that you need to set the BIOS to UEFI boot, and install windows to a GPT partition? (when you make USB installers, they can copy the existing MBR setup and then wont install or boot - you need the original DVD, or to make a bootable USB from ISO with RUFUS and specify GPT)

hornirl

My dad has his system booting on my old 4770k on NVME, so its not an age thing.

You know that you need to set the BIOS to UEFI boot, and install windows to a GPT partition? (when you make USB installers, they can copy the existing MBR setup and then wont install or boot - you need the original DVD, or to make a bootable USB from ISO with RUFUS and specify GPT)
Thanks for this, though my thanks a little belated. Turned out the problem wasn't the MOBO itself, rather the BIOS needed modifying to insert code to support a bootable NVME drive (it had no trouble recognizing one for just data post-boot via another type of drive (SSD/HDD)). Solution was here in case others come looking.

If you're lucky you can also find a modded BIOS for your MOBO already available here too, or do the modding/reflashing yourself- I didn't find it that difficult.