• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVMe SSD not recognized by the motherboard

If you need an active partition for the thing to work, then you are most definitively booting with BIOS/MBR (or is it possible for such a bug to still linger after a decade?)

Anyway, I just checked the Z370AG5 bios with uefitool and I see no nvme reference.
I wonder if gigabyte itself isn't relying on a legacy BIOS option rom (which you aren't clearly using since CSM is disabled), but your plextor SSD has an UEFI one that even though not being accepted by the setup GUI, eventually works when it's time to matter.
Intel also has some very.. diversified guidance across vendors.

System Name The de-ploughminator
Processor I7 9900K @ 5.1Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Neo 3600mhz 15-15-15-30
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 + Bitspower WB
Storage Plextor 512GB nvme SSD
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Lian Li 011D Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-5
Power Supply Corsair RM1000
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software Win10
If you need an active partition for the thing to work, then you are most definitively booting with BIOS/MBR (or is it possible for such a bug to still linger after a decade?)

Anyway, I just checked the Z370AG5 bios with uefitool and I see no nvme reference.
I wonder if gigabyte itself isn't relying on a legacy BIOS option rom (which you aren't clearly using since CSM is disabled), but your plextor SSD has an UEFI one that even though not being accepted by the setup GUI, eventually works when it's time to matter.
Intel also has some very.. diversified guidance across vendors.

Well if I remember right, I used Rufus to put the win10 installation onto an USB. In Rufus, set the partition scheme to GPT and Target system to UEFI. Only then can the Win10 installation recognize the NVME drive.
The PC has been working flawlessly so I don't want to mess around with the booting sequence.
From your link seems like some NVME drives just want to avoid detection by UEFI BIOS :roll: , so it may not be motherboard's related.

Processor i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus strix Z-490-e
Cooling Noctua NH-D-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z 4000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus STRIX RTX 3080
Storage 1tb Samsung 970 EVO,1tb hdd,750gb hdd
Display(s) Asus 27" 144htz 1440
Case Lian Li lancool 2 mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic GX-850
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Dell
Software 10 Home 64bit
I had to enable CSM to see the drives in the bios.

Mussels

Moderprator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles
Processor Ryzen R7 5800X
Motherboard Asus x570 Gaming-F
Cooling EK 240mm RGB AIO | Custom 280mm EK loop
Memory 64GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3800 C16
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB (0.8v 1.8GHz) - EK ARGB block
Storage 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 500GB 850 Evo
Display(s) Gigabyte G32QC + Phillips 328m6fjrmb (32" 1440p 165Hz/144Hz curved )
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Razer Leviathan + Corsair Void pro RGB, Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Corsair HX 750i (Platinum, fan off til 300W)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE
Software Windows 10 pro x64 (all systems)
Benchmark Scores Lots of RGB, so you know it's fast.
I may be wrong, but dont NVME drives only show up once they have a UEFI system installed to them, AKA windows?

CSM let you choose a drive directly, but UEFI you have to choose the OS, yes?

BIOS booting lets you choose specific disks (and well, only that) because it cannot really be any more smart about it.
UEFI also supports some kind of firmware-based boot manager, but it too has a hardcoded path in the ESP partition that it will always try to look for (which I reckon it's what it uses when you boot from a just-inserted USB key). If it doesn't find them though it won't populate the boot selection menu.

Nvme as a protocol has nothing to do with UEFI then, if not for the very tentative half-assed explanation I tried to provide above about option ROMs.

System Name Asrock 2013
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
Motherboard ASRock 970 PRO3 AM3+
Cooling Corsair H70 for CPU
Memory 64GB DDR3 1333mhz 16x4
Video Card(s) Ati HD5770 1GB DDR5 with Massive Heatsink and 120mm fan
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 850 250GB sata3 + Samsung SSD sata3 860 500GB + 1TB SSD NVME PCIE 2.0
Display(s) Spectre 27"
Case Big Black Tower
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply EVGA 500W
Mouse Chinese gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech corded keyboard
Software Windows 10
boot with a dvd usb or with a bootable windows 10 installation disk and see if it can see your nvme disk and it is ready to install windows 10, I think it will show, you said it doesn't show on windows disk managment but look again it may not been initialized or have any partitions or something so you can't see it right away, also load latest ubuntu from another pen drive and see if the app disks sees it. The NVME u have looks plug and play, check uefi settings again as a last resort but this is beyond what I know.

Last edited: